PDA

View Full Version : The Blind Leading the Blind

capobianco
11-10-2013, 10:18 PM
I've been a member of this forum since I placed the order in May, 2012 (it wasn't delivered until the end of July) and no one has commented about the numerous blind spots present in the 500 model. We have excellent vision from the B pillars forward, but anything behind them is very questionable. I have been in the habit of adjusting my mirrors so that the door mirrors pick up where the inside mirror leaves off, but I still triple check before changing lanes (lots of heavy traffic in the NJ/NY area). Even backing up in parking lots is dicey. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has experienced this problem.
I just started looking into some options for rear view mirrors. I remember the Wink mirrors from the 80's and see they still make them. Nice in that they give you an un-distored view of the world behind you. On the downside,you need to remove the inside mirror and the visors. The other option is a curved mirror that clips over the inside mirror. This is simple, easy, and cheap. But it makes everything look smaller like the passenger side mirror (Caution: object in mirror are closer than they appear).

I'm calling upon the vast wisdom of the esteemed forum members to answer my question: Does anyone have experience with these and any recommendations?

redred
11-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Definitely some brutal blind spots in the car, that's for sure. I do have one of those "All-View" clip on mirrors, but it's too distracting to me. I wish the passenger side mirror also had the little convex mirror that the drivers side has.

500ways
11-10-2013, 10:34 PM
I added a spotter mirror to the passenger side. It is round, blends in nicely and works just as well as the OEM driver's side spotter mirror.

IMO, they both do the job and my comfort level has increased when changing lanes. However, I have been driving for many years, and sometimes I turn my head "just in case." I guess some habits are hard to break.

Tweak
11-10-2013, 10:44 PM
I added a spotter mirror to the passenger side. It is round, blends in nicely and works just as well as the OEM driver's side spotter mirror.

IMO, they both do the job and my comfort level has increased when changing lanes. However, I have been driving for many years, and sometimes I turn my head "just in case." I guess some habits are hard to break.

I'm with you, I turn my head and I adjust my mirrors to offer the best viewing angles and it hasn't been a problem for me as of yet...now if you use the TomTom that actually can create an unusual small car blind spot looking forward rather than backwards.

capobianco
11-10-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm just wondering if adding a different mirror may not solve the problem because of the design of the body. I may just see more of the interior of the car and not more of what's going on outside.

In case anyone doesn't remember the Wink mirrors, there are 4 or 5 flat mirrors arranged so that you have a wide angle view of behind. Here's a link to some of them.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc&_nkw=wink+mirror&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

SeaDawg
11-10-2013, 11:36 PM
I wish the passenger side mirror also had the little convex mirror that the drivers side has.

You can thank the U.S. Dept of Transportation for that omission. I understand that in Europe they have one, or the option of having one, over there.

FTY
11-10-2013, 11:47 PM
I installed a small squirrel monkey named Tim that swings around on the rollbar and tells me if the coast is clear. His cousin was the famous trunk monkey from the commercial years back. They aren't on speaking terms so I don't bring him up.

(With his driving glasses)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QR9ln0XksAs/TZ7XGLS6LQI/AAAAAAAAKfc/SoRMwGG_dLY/s400/Bolivian%2Bsquirrel%2Bmonkeys%2B%2B4.jpg

In all seriousness yes...from the front the car has great visibility. Rearward visibility takes some time to get acquainted with. I feel like a moron backing into a spot, driving a small car everyone thinks "yeah he can easily fit in that spot", the only issue is half of it is guess work because you cant see SH!T. My suggestion would be some experimentation with mirrors.

DesmosDromos
11-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Heh, try the Cabrio. There's a reason it has backup sensors!

Tweak
11-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Backing up with the hatch open makes things VERY easy...just saying since I did this when unloading some things and it def makes for nice sound and the best view you can get having so much open space. :D

Ryephile
11-11-2013, 11:26 AM
LOL to FTY's trunk monkey ref; that's internet classic :)

Regarding blind spots in this car, ummm, there's only one and that's if you have the passenger seat blocking the rear quarter window. Otherwise the visibility in this car is awesome for a modern car*. It helps that the wide-angle side mirrors see everything behind you.

*Modern cars, like circa 2007+, have awful visibility compared to old school cars [1980's and older] with no structural roof structure and wafer thin pillars.

MikeThinks
11-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Since turning you head to the left only lets you check if your B pillar is still there, it is more important in the Fiat to setup your mirrors correctly. The passenger side has enough of a curve, and is far enough from you, that it pretty effectively does its job, the drivers mirror however does not if you set it up like 99% of the people driving do.

here is the correct way...notice you cant see the side of your own car in the DS mirror...you just have to trust us...its still there

and now for the way most people do it...you know this is you!

I use my blind spot mirror just to get a constant uninterrupted view...but use the big mirror adjusted as in the 1st picture to see if theres some inconsiderate vehicle where I want to be. Also you can just move your head to the left (as in lean left not turn your head) to see the side of the car in the mirror for parking ect.

here is my round add on mirror for a completed view

Ryephile
11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure I'd call that the correct way, though it's better than people that use all 3 mirrors as rear-view mirrors. There's still unnecessary overlap on the passenger side mirror. All 3 mirrors should have field of visions that butt against each other, so they all cover the maximum angle with no redundancy.

In general though, I find pretty much everyone has their mirrors adjusted wrong, with all 3 mirrors pointed directly rearward and not a shred of side visibility. :sad:

msjulie33
11-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Regarding blind spots in this car, ummm, there's only one and that's if you have the passenger seat blocking the rear quarter window. Otherwise the visibility in this car is awesome for a modern car*. It helps that the wide-angle side mirrors see everything behind you.

*Modern cars, like circa 2007+, have awful visibility compared to old school cars [1980's and older] with no structural roof structure and wafer thin pillars.

I agree, proper mirror setup is crucial especially with a 'C' since the rear window is so small

FiatGusto
11-11-2013, 12:34 PM
I don't care how the sides of my 2012 Sport look; I always move my mirrors outward. I learned to drive in a big truck. You must depend on mirrors when driving anything now.

BigT
11-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Another way to open up the rear window view is to remove the god awful circular headrests from the rear seat. I found by doing that my view out of the rear view mirror in the Abarth improved considerably.

blackabarth13
11-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Before I got my Abarth my daily driver for the last 10 years was a GMC 3500 crew cab pu with a long box. I have installed a excellent pair of aftermarket mirrors because on this size vehicle you have to use and rely on the mirrors constantly. After getting accustomed to the size to the Abarth mirrors I believe that they are the best factory mirrors that I ever had on a car. Didn't have to adjust them after taking delivery. The blind spot on the drivers side is remedied with the spot mirror.

capobianco
11-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks, MikeThinks. That is how I've been setting up my mirrors for the past 20 years. I set the side mirrors inside edge of view to see the outside edge of what the inside mirror sees (did you get that?). That way you get the best bang for your buck. Turning my head does little due to the massive B pillars, small rear window, and thick C Pillar. Huge blind spot! City driving is a bit hairy (especially in NYC traffic).

Today, I experimented by moving the inside mirror around to see what a panoramic mirror would see. All I saw was more of the inside of the car (BTW, I removed the rear seat months ago so headrests are a non-issue). I think that a clip on panoramic mirror wouldn't be of much help...but would like to know if the Wink Mirror would be more effective.

Anyone have experience with the Wink Mirror? Anyone have it installed? Should I re post this in the Fiat 500 general forum to include all 500 drivers?

FiatGusto
11-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Sea Dawg: tried replying to your PM, but not sure if you got it.

Still around. 10,000 miles this week...
Dennis

jessebeetle
11-13-2013, 01:20 AM
I think that a clip on panoramic mirror wouldn't be of much help...but would like to know if the Wink Mirror would be more effective.

Anyone have experience with the Wink Mirror? Anyone have it installed? Should I re post this in the Fiat 500 general forum to include all 500 drivers?

I have no experience with Wink Mirrors but have always thought they were cool. I'm hoping someone bites the bullet and gives it a shot!

shagghie
11-13-2013, 02:19 AM
I hate the mini mirror on the DS on my Abarth.
1) my eyes can't refocus in it fast enough to use it to make driving decisions.
2) I lost 10% of an otherwise perfectly fine mirror。。。

hownowcb
11-24-2013, 06:53 PM
After a full year with my Abarth, I'm now fairly confident in my normal driving -- I actually think the mirrors are surprisingly good for how small they are (compared to the mirrors on my Honda Element, obviously). I removed my rear head restraints the day I took delivery -- thankfully they are removable.

Still, I am never comfortable backing out of a parking space. It's literally impossible to determine if another car is approaching, so I really cre-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ep out, every single time. And as someone else mentioned, backing into a parking space is equally chill-inducing challenging.

Surnia
11-24-2013, 09:21 PM
After a full year with my Abarth, I'm now fairly confident in my normal driving -- I actually think the mirrors are surprisingly good for how small they are (compared to the mirrors on my Honda Element, obviously). I removed my rear head restraints the day I took delivery -- thankfully they are removable.

Still, I am never comfortable backing out of a parking space. It's literally impossible to determine if another car is approaching, so I really cre-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ep out, every single time. And as someone else mentioned, backing into a parking space is equally chill-inducing challenging.

Interestingly enough, I presently drive the family's Element and will hopefully be a future abarth owner within the next few months.

The few test drives I've had in an Abarth cabrio and standard 500 seem to be rather spacious, and I find the sight lines to be excellent (relative to the element). I've gotten used to that massive B pillar behind my head so I'm already used to shoulder checks around it. The A pillar blocking all possible pedestrian traffic in the Element is not present on the Abarth/500 (at EVERY intersection before starting I have to move up a bit, and look around. Otherwise people and even their dogs fit perfectly in that pillar's blind spot). The mirrors are smaller, but are absolutely great (nothing like my aunt's Fit. Those mirrors...).

I did not have an issue backing up in the abarth/500, although I'm more used to the much longer body and left huge space behind the abarth. I will always park rear end first in a parking lot, so I'm very used to reversing in (although, BMWs are too short. I can never see the trunk beyond the liftgate window in the Element). I can see the point that its difficult to tell where the rear end was, but I blame the rear park assist telling me I was at the wall (when I had a good meter left). No issues parking the 500.

capobianco
11-25-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm used to backing out very slowly in parking lots due to the numerous blind spots but what really upsets me is the huge blind area on the DS on the highway. I turn my head, check my mirrors, turn again, re-check the mirrors, and slowly move over...only to hear someone honk at me! I always thought those blind spot alerts on some of the newer cars were for lazy people who don't want to turn their heads but they seem like a necessity on the 500.

Getting back on subject, I sat in my car and moved the mirror around to see if changing the interior mirror would help but all I saw was more of the interior of the car! I think I will order a 4-panel Wink mirror and see if it helps. I'll keep you informed. Until then, I'll put up with people thinking I'm another unconscious driver!

MikeThinks
11-25-2013, 07:30 PM
I sat in my car and moved the mirror around to see if changing the interior mirror would help but all I saw was more of the interior of the car! I think I will order a 4-panel Wink mirror and see if it helps. I'll keep you informed. Until then, I'll put up with people thinking I'm another unconscious driver!

No idea why you are having an issue, I have setup my mirrors (as shown prev in post) and never have to do more than glance to see if Im clear.

Ryephile
11-25-2013, 07:34 PM
......Getting back on subject, I sat in my car and moved the mirror around to see if changing the interior mirror would help but all I saw was more of the interior of the car! I think I will order a 4-panel Wink mirror and see if it helps. I'll keep you informed. Until then, I'll put up with people thinking I'm another unconscious driver!

We're mainly talking about the exterior mirrors. They should be adjusted pointed far enough out so you don't see any of your car and subsequently redundantly behind you. Seeing directly behind you is what your interior mirror is for.

Lou Caputo
11-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Of course, there is another school of thought when it comes to mirrors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

capobianco
12-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Of course, there is another school of thought when it comes to mirrors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

Love it Lou!