PDA

View Full Version : Kumho Ecsta V710 anyone?

trevc
11-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I will be looking for some affordable dedicated race tires for next year. They will be used at probably 4 autocross days each month and then a full track day every couple of months. I am planning on some dedicated 7.5" 17" wheels. I want something that can be rotated i.e. no directional constraints.
I am looking at the Kumho Ecsta V710 as an affordable option in 215/40R17. They seem to get good reviews provided they are correctly heat cycled first (I would pay Tire Rack to do that pre-delivery).
Comments, suggestions from those more experienced than me?

Thanks!

abarth&911
11-10-2013, 04:58 PM
I know it’s not the same car but I run them on the Porsche and they are good and last long. The fastest tire I had on the Porsche was the Hankook Z214 in soft compound C71, even if it's was a soft compound they were consistent on a 25min. track session.
That’s probably because the Porsche weight about 2150lbs. But they heat cycle out quicker than other tire by the 3rd track event they were on the downhill slope. The 710 will last longer. How about some 15 by 7.5 wheel and 225/45/15 tire. That’s the size of tire I was running on the Porsche with 7” front and 8” rear wheel. That size tire will be a little smaller in overall diameter and the choice in brand is much better.

FTY
11-10-2013, 07:43 PM
If your not dead set of a 7.5 width wheel I have my 205/40/17 Falken rt615ks avail. they have 4k on them(no track time). I am looking for $300 plus shipping.

I had to upgrade to set of 215/40's Falkens rt615ks for the Neu-F wheels which are 7.5.

17" OZs are going to winter mode and 17" Neu-fs will be summer/spring duty.

trevc
11-10-2013, 11:20 PM
That sounds like an interesting option....any ideas on how much shipping would be to 38016?

If your not dead set of a 7.5 width wheel I have my 205/40/17 Falken rt615ks avail. they have 4k on them(no track time). I am looking for $300 plus shipping.

I had to upgrade to set of 215/40's Falkens rt615ks for the Neu-F wheels which are 7.5.

17" OZs are going to winter mode and 17" Neu-fs will be summer/spring duty.

trevc
11-11-2013, 12:52 PM
15x7.5 would be an interesting option. Do you know any true 4x98 15x7.5 that will fit the Abarth without clearance issues (front calipers and rear bar mounts I heard are issues)
thx!

I know it’s not the same car but I run them on the Porsche and they are good and last long. The fastest tire I had on the Porsche was the Hankook Z214 in soft compound C71, even if it's was a soft compound they were consistent on a 25min. track session.
That’s probably because the Porsche weight about 2150lbs. But they heat cycle out quicker than other tire by the 3rd track event they were on the downhill slope. The 710 will last longer. How about some 15 by 7.5 wheel and 225/45/15 tire. That’s the size of tire I was running on the Porsche with 7” front and 8” rear wheel. That size tire will be a little smaller in overall diameter and the choice in brand is much better.

abarth&911
11-11-2013, 02:53 PM
I didn’t really check if there was wheel available in that size, maybe some Vendors will chime in.
I check if my Miata wheel will have fit on the Abarth, they are 15x7 and 4x100. The center bore is smaller than the Abarth
so they don’t go all the way in, but from what I was able to see it look like they will have clear the caliper and the sway bar mount.
I’m also thinking about that possibility for wheel and tire. In the SCCA, STC class the max wheel width is 7.5 and the max tire width is 225.
I think that combination will work quite good for AX and track.
Let’s keep an eye to see if wheel in that size that fit (clear the caliper and sway bar mount) become available.

trevc
11-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Found some nice looking Competizone wheels in that size. They say they will fit the Abarth with the addition of 10mm spacers. $450 for the set is a good price.
One option for sure.

I didn’t really check if there was wheel available in that size, maybe some Vendors will chime in.
I check if my Miata wheel will have fit on the Abarth, they are 15x7 and 4x100. The center bore is smaller than the Abarth
so they don’t go all the way in, but from what I was able to see it look like they will have clear the caliper and the sway bar mount.
I’m also thinking about that possibility for wheel and tire. In the SCCA, STC class the max wheel width is 7.5 and the max tire width is 225.
I think that combination will work quite good for AX and track.
Let’s keep an eye to see if wheel in that size that fit (clear the caliper and sway bar mount) become available.

abarth&911
11-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Madness is having them also, so they should be able to confirm if they fit. I will see how long the Dunlop ZII last and decide then if I go with a second set of wheel. It will depend of the budget available also, the Miata need some work for the next track season.

trevc
11-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Got a great deal from Chris on the lightly used Falken-RT615K tires and I will use those for autocross.

For the track I purchased a set of 15x7.5 wheels in gunmetal from Allison's Automotive (on sale on ebay - $415!!).
I need to wait until the spring to get wheel spacers and tires for those (budget all gone now!).
I think I am going to try the Hankook Ventus Z214 in 225/45ZR15 Medium. I think I will be able to fit them plus a jack in the back of the car with the seats down. Should give me tons of grip!

Thanks Chris for the tire deal and Abarth&911 for the advice.

trevc
11-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Well, appears there is a supply issue with the Hankooks so I will probably go with the Toyo Proxes RA1 for the road course. A little cheaper and will probably last longer but slightly less grip, at least to begin with as I don't want to shave them.

abarth&911
11-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I had many set of RA1 on the Porsche and they lasted quite long. I keep a set as rain tire when I was tracking the Porsche, they are now used as street tire on it.
If you just starting to do track, street tire are better to learn on. A set of BFG Rival will be almost, if not as fast as the RA1. When my son said he wanted to do track ( there was no way he will be driving the Porsche on track). We converted the Miata for track and we went with street tire, they are more friendly for beginner. With a set of BFG Rival on it I pull about the same G in the corner ( Miata are a pretty good handling car) than the Porsche on sticky tire ( except the Z214) also the Rival is much cheaper and they seem to last long, we did the equivalent of 4 track weekend and they didn’t wear to much. On a front drive car you might want to do tire rotation more often. You should try to come to VIR next year with the THSCC, I’m instructor with them

trevc
11-19-2013, 10:15 AM
I would love to drive VIR but it is a long way from Memphis (690 miles) and I don't get a lot of vacation time.
Gigante also invited me. I really need to find a way to make it happen!

Crazy Otto
11-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Well, appears there is a supply issue with the Hankooks so I will probably go with the Toyo Proxes RA1 for the road course. A little cheaper and will probably last longer but slightly less grip, at least to begin with as I don't want to shave them.
The ra1 will be slower that the hankook 214 c51 but will be more durable. Dont know your level but if you are driving hard you will benefit from shaving the ra 1 to prevent overheating the compound due to squirm.
The v710 are decent. My personal experience is that it gets greasy after 15 mins. The 215/40 is tall for size check dimensions on tire rack.

I do like the z214 went through 4 sets starting in 2007 on an amg c32 for track days then 2011 on race car. They don't heat cycle out as dramatically as a hoosier and I actually bought 4 sets of scrubs at 200 bux a set for practice. As you mention hard to find sometimes.