PDA

View Full Version : Washer fluid bottle relocation kit found..Now we need the ATM ram air intake! hint!

Crossfirecat
11-09-2013, 07:04 PM
http://www.apex-speed.com/apex-motorsports-washer-fluid-tank-relocation-kit-1234567.html

Found this kit online. Did some measurements and theres not problem fitting it where the drivers side intercooler used to be for those of us with the ATM FMIC. Great part is the remote fill feature. Lets you mount the reservoir almost anywhere! I ordered one with the optional pump just in case. But it looks like I can reuse the oem pump and not have to splice the stock harness.
So why am I doing this?
Removing the oem bottle opens up the path from the turbo inlet down to the passenger side intercooler location. A perfect spot for an intake location. ATM had mentioned this as a possible future mod some time ago but, The stock washer bottle was an issue.
With this kit, The only thing left is for ATM to get to work on the intake!

I love my HCI! I wouldn't trade it for any intake on the market right now! But If I can get the same performance without the cabin noise, I'm in 100%!
Even appears to be enough room to reuse the same beautiful bellmouth the HCI uses!

shagghie
11-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Awesome post!
Question for us.... What do we do with the vents by the tires, and the side vent, in terms of puddles?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/A4EC3BA8-165C-48B6-9B1D-F6D803FAB79E-7181-000004B53F895702_zps80ad0df4.jpg

shadyabarth
11-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Awesome post!
Question for us.... What do we do with the vents by the tires, and the side vent, in terms of puddles?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/A4EC3BA8-165C-48B6-9B1D-F6D803FAB79E-7181-000004B53F895702_zps80ad0df4.jpg

I would leave the vents alone and install an AEM bypass valve on the intake pipe..

shagghie
11-10-2013, 07:08 PM
I would leave the vents alone and install an AEM bypass valve on the intake pipe..

I ran an AEM on my GTI but I recall people saying it didn't really work in the first place.
Just a random memory I have associated with them.

The tire vents I think will work to draw air out of the area... The spinning tire & bernoilli's principle would draw air out wards thru those vents I think.

Crossfirecat
11-11-2013, 12:36 AM
My first thought was to rivet a plate over the holes to prevent any "splash" being thrown off the tire into that area. Unless, ATM can create an airbox that shields the filter from water intrusion. That would be the cats a$$!

Awesome post!

TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
11-11-2013, 06:18 AM
http://www.apex-speed.com/apex-motorsports-washer-fluid-tank-relocation-kit-1234567.html

Found this kit online. Did some measurements and theres not problem fitting it where the drivers side intercooler used to be for those of us with the ATM FMIC. Great part is the remote fill feature. Lets you mount the reservoir almost anywhere! I ordered one with the optional pump just in case. But it looks like I can reuse the oem pump and not have to splice the stock harness.
So why am I doing this?
Removing the oem bottle opens up the path from the turbo inlet down to the passenger side intercooler location. A perfect spot for an intake location. ATM had mentioned this as a possible future mod some time ago but, The stock washer bottle was an issue.
With this kit, The only thing left is for ATM to get to work on the intake!

I love my HCI! I wouldn't trade it for any intake on the market right now! But If I can get the same performance without the cabin noise, I'm in 100%!
Even appears to be enough room to reuse the same beautiful bellmouth the HCI uses!

Ok thanks for the link we ordered a relocation kit to see what kind of space it opens up for us... As far as design the kit will still utilize the same filter and cnc velocity stack as well as several other parts of the HCi. We are looking at getting a custom weather cover made for the filter that will repel water BUT still flow air and also an optional AEM bypass! I have been running a prototype for about a month and it makes the same power as the HCI with none of the sound!ThrashinSmiley

Ryephile
11-11-2013, 11:30 AM
.... I have been running a prototype for about a month and it makes the same power as the HCI with none of the sound!ThrashinSmiley

All the positives with no jet engine sound ruining my latest Electronic Groove podcast. :)

ScorpionSkins.com
11-30-2013, 06:35 PM
... As far as design the kit will still utilize the same filter and cnc velocity stack as well as several other parts of the HCi. We are looking at getting a custom weather cover made for the filter that will repel water BUT still flow air and also an optional AEM bypass! I have been running a prototype for about a month and it makes the same power as the HCI with none of the sound!ThrashinSmiley

Fantastic news. Can't wait for this product to be available! :)

12-01-2013, 01:59 PM
We have the working prototype on the car and SUCCESS....

-Power wise is the same and possibly more than the HCI as silicone length is shorter and straighter.
-silicone stays ice cold all the way to the compressor inlet
-We were able to reuse many of the HCI parts.
-we developed a splash shield washer reservoir mount that stops rain and directs air to the filter creating a high pressure area
-filter sits up very high out of the way of the elements with the velocity stack inlet about as high as the turn signals so no need for a weather cover or bypass valve unless you plan on driving in a lake.
-sound is pretty much nonexistent unless you drive in an alley or against a barrier on the passenger side, all you hear is a faint intake sound.

Gonna drive it a few more days and then get everything jigged up/silicone produced...

This product will require the removal of the factory IC system as we utilize this area!

BigT
12-01-2013, 02:09 PM
This sounds very interesting can't wait to see the final product.

Ryephile
12-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Awesome!

Please just make sure the silicone can flex with the engine movement. Last time I was fiddling around in the bumper "cheek" I was able to position an air filter 11" off the ground, which is about the same height as the carpet inside the car. No need to worry about puddles, especially with the splash shield for the fender vents.

Crossfirecat
12-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Sweet! Can't wait to see it! How do you like the reservoir? Do you think we can reuse the stock washer pump? I haven't been back user the car since I installed the FMIC! Totally transforms the car and I can finally tolerate driving it without pushing the sport button!

12-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Sweet! Can't wait to see it! How do you like the reservoir? Do you think we can reuse the stock washer pump? I haven't been back user the car since I installed the FMIC! Totally transforms the car and I can finally tolerate driving it without pushing the sport button!

Yeah reused the factory pump and the reservoir is nice-GREAT FIND! Glad you are enjoying the FMIC its crazy how much "everything" improves with it.

shadowshaggy
12-10-2013, 08:14 PM
So this doesn't get too far down the list in posts, what's the status on this thing? I'm right around the corner from buying an intake, I realize I'll have to get a fmic, but I can have a box of parts for a little while, whilst waiting of the cash for the fmic.

shagghie
12-10-2013, 08:56 PM
So this doesn't get too far down the list in posts, what's the status on this thing? I'm right around the corner from buying an intake, I realize I'll have to get a fmic, but I can have a box of parts for a little while, whilst waiting of the cash for the fmic.

Hey just to hold you over, last I heard they were road-testing the design and were just about done and very satisfied with how the car feels (understatement).
Next step was to get the protector box/shield/hi-pressure unit fabbed up, silicone ordered etc. Sorry that's not much info, but hopefully they will chime in here shortly and let us know. I'm just as eager, indeed.

Fiat500USA
12-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

musicsurf
12-19-2013, 10:31 PM
I am very ready for this intake to be available!

shadowshaggy
12-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Its been in "testing" for more than a month now according to posts, what's status and eta?

lenswerks
12-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Any update on the status or data?

trevc
12-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Is there anybody out there?
useless_without_pics

Gigante
12-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Is there anybody out there?
useless_without_pics

Here you go buddy, I hope this works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yykygob42nvdytg/ATMNI.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/csejnxydrwx2ugu/ATMNI2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwyi92383wqfuy4/ATMNI3.jpg

or the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=543800429036779&set=pcb.543800759036746&type=1&relevant_count=3

12-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Sorry guys,

The intake has tested out perfectly basically all of the performance positives of the HCI without the sound. We are in the process of getting quotes on the splash shield/reservoir mount BUT the project is a GO!

Toad
12-31-2013, 03:28 PM
This will be the best compliment to the intercooler. Can't wait!

trevc
12-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks!

jflexe99
12-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Let us know when group buy starts... I think I will be in it :) I love my HCI, but less noise would be nice haha.

krayzielilsmoki
12-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Will this only work for those that have an aftermarket intercooler or anybody?

Ryephile
12-31-2013, 03:47 PM

Front Mount IC only is the intent for this ambient air intake, as the filter sits in the location vacant by the passenger side stock side-mount IC.

12-31-2013, 04:30 PM

As Ryephile said a fmic is needed. In your scenario going with a high boost tune and living in Florida our FMIC would make a HUGE difference in performance but most importantly maintain the performance increases gear after gear as our FMIC is a much greater heatsink than stock.

On an unrelated note we got the checkerboard roof installed and it's awesome, we will be needing some more ATM vinyl soon.

krayzielilsmoki
12-31-2013, 04:49 PM
As Ryephile said a fmic is needed. In your scenario going with a high boost tune and living in Florida our FMIC would make a HUGE difference in performance but most importantly maintain the performance increases gear after gear as our FMIC is a much greater heatsink than stock.

On an unrelated note we got the checkerboard roof installed and it's awesome, we will be needing some more ATM vinyl soon.

Haha glad you like the checkerboard roof. I am considering the front mount in the future but I need new rotors, pads and tires first.

Abarth Five O
12-31-2013, 05:05 PM
This is an excellent alternative for a true CAI. The splash guard looks functional for the up splash, however I would be a little concerned about the side splash coming in through the side vents. Perhaps the splash guard could block the side vent too?

tknospdr
12-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Let us know when group buy starts... I think I will be in it :) I love my HCI, but less noise would be nice haha.
The noise is the best part!

12-31-2013, 05:50 PM
The noise is the best part!

To be honest I'm keeping my HCI, with the bov plate and foam cover it's totally liveable. And c'mon it's an Abarth we are driving here, the HCI is the intake equivalent of the original spirit of these cars which was function first! I'm the keep the windows open in the summer and listen to my machine kinda guy. those of you that have seen or driven in the cars Wego and I have built in the past understand... We hope the ram air system while just as potent as the HCI makes you silent but deadly guys happy.dancingsmilies

Gigante
12-31-2013, 05:58 PM
To be honest I'm keeping my HCI, with the bov plate and foam cover it's totally liveable. And c'mon it's an Abarth we are driving here, the HCI is the intake equivalent of the original spirit of these cars which was function first! I'm the keep the windows open in the summer and listen to my machine kinda guy. those of you that have seen or driven in the cars Wego and I have built in the past understand... We hope the ram air system while just as potent as the HCI makes you silent but deadly guys happy.dancingsmilies

+1 Bump

tknospdr
12-31-2013, 06:33 PM
silent but deadly guys
Growing up in my house... that meant something completely different. :lame:

12-31-2013, 09:19 PM
Growing up in my house... that meant something completely different. :lame:

Lol, Happy New Year!

mr_robs
01-13-2014, 01:06 AM
any updates on this? Looking to get a Tork tune soon and it doesnt place nice with my R3T intake ;)

Yorkman1
01-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Works well with the HCI

mr_robs
01-13-2014, 10:49 PM
Works well with the HCI

Not looking for any more noise than my current intake, or cowl cutting ;)

shagghie
01-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Not looking for any more noise than my current intake, or cowl cutting ;)

cowl cutting isn't an issue...they can ship you a pre-drilled cowl part and you can hang on to your original if you want to be able to put it all back again. Only take's 5 mins. :-) I'm holding out for this ram intake.... it's going to be best of ALL worlds!

shadyabarth
01-14-2014, 09:46 AM
looking forward to the release of the CAI as well..

NORCAL SS
01-21-2014, 04:52 AM
any updates?

flyboy2160
01-21-2014, 01:08 PM
I know the stock washer fluid bottle is molded to fit the right side, but has anybody looked at whether it would fit on the left (with some fiddling) if the stock intake plumbing was removed?

01-22-2014, 10:30 AM
I know the stock washer fluid bottle is molded to fit the right side, but has anybody looked at whether it would fit on the left (with some fiddling) if the stock intake plumbing was removed?
It won't fit on the driver side we tried that...

Wego and I are finishing up some of the final intricacies of the kit today(gonna make this snow day off productive)

NORCAL SS
01-22-2014, 10:47 AM
if possible can i just order the tube from you? I want to relocate the filter to in front of the duct.

bryanintowson
01-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Have you guys considered going old school and doing a washer fluid bag like they used to do back in the 60's-70's? Might not be sexy but it certainly could be put almost anywhere. 9375

the stig
01-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Have you guys considered going old school and doing a washer fluid bag like they used to do back in the 60's-70's? Might not be sexy but it certainly could be put almost anywhere. 9375
That sounds like a great idea. Easier to fit and cheap too. We should change your handle to brainintowson.

bryanintowson
01-22-2014, 03:27 PM
don't thank me unless it works!

WegoFaster@Ambient Thermal Management
01-23-2014, 11:32 AM

I'm not sure I like the idea of an Abarth with a douchebag... Juss sayin.

Kurumi
01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure I like the idea of an Abarth with a douchebag... Juss sayin.

This could be taken out of context if you didn't quote the previous post or if the previous post wasn't made. Just sayin'. :p

01-23-2014, 12:08 PM
if possible can i just order the tube from you? I want to relocate the filter to in front of the duct.

I will get 2 prototypes made and cut one long for you once we recieve them(a few weeks out still). IF you are going to figure out your own wwasher reservoir scenario you will still need a filter, intake tube, velocity stack and the fittings and various lines.

What would be awesome is if you could INDEPENDANTLY dyno our intake against the RRM Intake in a real world scenario ie:

Both cars hood closed testing with the same starting coolant temps(180-190) and datalogs for each run!

Crossfirecat
02-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Bumping for an update???

02-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Just waiting on a final production prototype reservoir box/splash shield, if it fits we are ready to do a production rundancingsmilies the silicone design is awesome, it's the shortest and straightest intake run as well as having the least bends-it only uses 2 mild 45 degree bends to the velocity stack/filter!

Crossfirecat
02-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Great to hear! I can't wait!

Just waiting on a final production prototype reservoir box/splash shield, if it fits we are ready to do a production rundancingsmilies the silicone design is awesome, it's the shortest and straightest intake run as well as having the least bends-it only uses 2 mild 45 degree bends!

nojeebs
02-17-2014, 04:18 PM
been waiting for this all season long. :)

ophidia31
03-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Will there be a fmic/intake combo package for those who want to get them both at the same time?

ScorpionSkins.com
03-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Will there be a fmic/intake combo package for those who want to get them both at the same time?

This would be an excellent option. :)

Crossfirecat
03-06-2014, 01:31 AM
C'mon!!! Show us a teaser pic!!! lol :worthless:

Ill call the sheet metal company and see where they are at with the Splash shield/Reservoir mount. However its basically a carbon copy of the part shown in the earlier pics with a powdercoat!

03-06-2014, 09:21 AM
This would be an excellent option. :)

There will most certainly be a packaged option of the intake and FMIC. :boink:

Crossfirecat
03-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Just razzin you guys a little! lol! Just itching to get my hands on one asap!

C'mon!!! Show us a teaser pic!!! lol :worthless:

Ill call the sheet metal company and see where they are at with the Splash shield/Reservoir mount. However its basically a carbon copy of the part shown in the earlier pics with a powdercoat!

mike164s
03-09-2014, 01:09 PM
There will most certainly be a packaged option of the intake and FMIC. :boink:

count me in for this!

Abarth Five O
03-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Any updates?

ophidia31
04-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Any updates?

x2

mike164s
04-06-2014, 07:24 PM
itching to buy the fmic, but waiting for this first!!!

NORCAL SS
04-29-2014, 09:59 PM
any updates on this?

Ryephile
04-29-2014, 11:04 PM
I'll see WEGO this weekend at MINI's on the Dragon. He said he'll have something to show me, so we'll see how it goes.

Last I heard on the schedule of this intake is they wanted to make sure it would also fit their turbo upgrade project, so the intake has legs beyond just the stock turbo.

shagghie
04-29-2014, 11:25 PM
The good (great?) news is that it is using a lot of the same high quality parts and engineering/design elements that the HCI has, and performs on par with the HCI too. The only downside is that we'll no longer have all those wonderful turbo/whistle/intake sounds piping through into the cabin for the driver to enjoy (and the passenger to wince at). They are getting close!

Abarth Five O
04-30-2014, 12:12 AM
Now I have space down there w/ my new ATM FMIC. Since I don't have the HCI, I won't miss any whistle. Look forward to the release of this new SRAI!

the stig
05-02-2014, 04:27 PM
ATM, you guys are such a tease. You've been working on this intake for some time, getting us all worked up......
Are you having some design issues?
I'm ready, willing, and able to put this on my car.
P.S. Your fmic is the absolute BOMB.

05-03-2014, 06:36 PM
ATM, you guys are such a tease. You've been working on this intake for some time, getting us all worked up......
Are you having some design issues?
I'm ready, willing, and able to put this on my car.
P.S. Your fmic is the absolute BOMB.

No design issues it's all done, just need to verify fitment on a few cars and we will start a GB! ThrashinSmiley

SweetSandMan
05-04-2014, 12:28 AM
No design issues it's all done, just need to verify fitment on a few cars and we will start a GB! ThrashinSmiley

That's awesome!! What about a trade-in/trade-up program lol?? But seriously :-P

NORCAL SS
05-08-2014, 12:03 AM
gb started yet?

05-08-2014, 02:50 PM
gb started yet?

Not yet, did you still only want the silicone/velocity stack/filter OR were you looking for the entire kit?

NORCAL SS
05-08-2014, 03:37 PM
ill take it all . Ill prob push the filter down toward the opening more in front though just for ram air effect

Abarth Five O
05-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Looks like we're getting closer to a release date.

ophidia31
05-18-2014, 07:49 PM
:sleep:

NORCAL SS
05-21-2014, 12:32 AM
bumpppp

AudiGuy
05-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Im down for the intake and FMIC combo. Lets do this!

shagghie
05-22-2014, 01:47 AM
Looks like we're getting closer to a release date.

indeed! My wife is dong jumping jack!

Abarth Five O
05-22-2014, 02:05 AM
indeed! My wife is dong jumping jack!

Lol, like this? bigclap:Blue:

shagghie
05-22-2014, 02:08 AM
Lol, like this? bigclap:Blue:

Yes! Although I meant to say my dong is doing jumping jacks, not my wife!

Wait what? Well anyway, I know what i meant to say and who is actually doing the jumping.

Tweak
05-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Yes! Although I meant to say my dong is doing jumping jacks, not my wife!

Wait what? Well anyway, I know what i meant to say and who is actually doing the jumping.

You should read your post again...

ophidia31
05-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Stop posting in here dammit! Everytime I see the title come up on the main page I get so excited only to get let down by no news from ATM. :crying: lol

05-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Stop posting in here dammit! Everytime I see the title come up on the main page I get so excited only to get let down by no news from ATM. :crying: lol

ALL of the work on our end is DONE, we are simply waiting on the prototypes to send out to a few forum members for INDEPENDANT review before we do the production run. We want to release this as much as you guys want it!

AudiGuy
05-22-2014, 10:43 AM
ALL of the work on our end is DONE, we are simply waiting on the prototypes to send out to a few forum members for INDEPENDeNT review before we do the production run. We want to release this as much as you guys want it!
Sent you a PM and an email.

05-22-2014, 11:04 AM
PM back at ya!

AudiGuy
05-22-2014, 11:25 AM
PM back at ya!

Got it and responded. I look forward to hearing back.

Crossfirecat
06-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Are we there yet? :stickpoke:

NORCAL SS
06-19-2014, 02:01 AM
guys is there anyway you can sell me the pipe from the turbo out. I would do my own set up for the rest.

NORCAL SS
06-30-2014, 12:27 PM
shot you a pm back. im ready for it.

shagghie
06-30-2014, 02:07 PM
let's do this

ophidia31
07-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Hows this comming along?

Abarth Five O
07-14-2014, 03:50 PM
+1

07-14-2014, 08:05 PM
The kit is done and it's awesome, we are expecting vacuum hoses tomm, we will put a kit together and post some pics! We are sending out 2 kits to Shagghie and NorCalSS for end user testing. Then we will start a group buy!

ophidia31
07-14-2014, 08:13 PM
What kind of pricing are we looking at?

shagghie
07-16-2014, 09:31 AM
it's ALIVE!!!!
going to try VERY hard to get this installed this weekend if at all possible!
look for a full write up soon after I do!
as to be expected, this thing is a work of art!
it is indeed the one we have all been waiting for... And the best of ALL worlds: cold air, without the in-cabin turbo sonata, which I will miss SO much but I know my spouse will not...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/33B4E0FD-7A31-4F83-A337-593740C0397A.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/33B4E0FD-7A31-4F83-A337-593740C0397A.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/11A05DED-11EA-4550-805E-6060CBAC7984.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/11A05DED-11EA-4550-805E-6060CBAC7984.jpg.html)

mike164s
07-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Looks awesome!

AudiGuy
07-16-2014, 10:08 AM
it's ALIVE!!!!
going to try VERY hard to get this installed this weekend if at all possible!
look for a full write up soon after I do!
as to be expected, this thing is a work of art!
it is indeed the one we have all been waiting for... And the best of ALL worlds: cold air, without the in-cabin turbo sonata, which I will miss SO much but I know my spouse will not...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/33B4E0FD-7A31-4F83-A337-593740C0397A.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/33B4E0FD-7A31-4F83-A337-593740C0397A.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/11A05DED-11EA-4550-805E-6060CBAC7984.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/11A05DED-11EA-4550-805E-6060CBAC7984.jpg.html)

WOW! That thing is beautiful. What kind of timeline are we looking at for this release? I definitely want this.
ATM, whats the group buy price going to be?

ophidia31
07-16-2014, 10:32 AM
WOW! That thing is beautiful. What kind of timeline are we looking at for this release? I definitely want this.
ATM, whats the group buy price going to be?

x10

I would be at work hours ahead of schedule just to install that thing next day if I didnt have time when it arrived at my house.

AudiGuy
07-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Shagghie, maybe you can explain the orientation. Im having a hard time picturing the angle of this. IF it goes on the way it looks, the vac lines would enter this thing from the passengers side? Shouldnt they be coming into the hose from the other direction?

shagghie
07-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Shagghie, maybe you can explain the orientation. Im having a hard time picturing the angle of this. IF it goes on the way it looks, the vac lines would enter this thing from the passengers side? Shouldnt they be coming into the hose from the other direction?

I see your point. I think perhaps there might be more room on that side of the world to actually run the lines. The lines will all go and terminate in their factory locations still (more or less) so how they get there isn't too critical. I'm on travel but will suss that out for us soon in a definitive manner. Good question.

AudiGuy
07-16-2014, 10:50 AM
I see your point. I think perhaps there might be more room on that side of the world to actually run the lines. The lines will all go and terminate in their factory locations still (more or less) so how they get there isn't too critical. I'm on travel but will suss that out for us soon in a definitive manner. Good question.

Thanks. Im sure it wouldnt be a big deal to have a little longer vac hose wrap underneath the intake, but Im interested in why they were done on that side.

ophidia31
07-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Not sure what you mean. The inputs would be at the top and just kind of loop to their locations. Only thing I might see different is possibly a straight input for the pcv vs a 90*. But until its installed, who knows. It would look nicer to have them enter underneath and run your lines up though. But where its at, I dont think you will see them unless you lean over and look down.

AudiGuy
07-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Not sure what you mean. The inputs would be at the top and just kind of loop to their locations. Only thing I might see different is possibly a straight input for the pcv vs a 90*. But until its installed, who knows. It would look nicer to have them enter underneath and run your lines up though. But where its at, I dont think you will see them unless you lean over and look down.

Ahhh... I see! For some reason I was thinking coolant res., not washer bottle. I get it now. But I do agree with you; it would be nice to not see the vac lines.

moonwell
07-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Interested to see how this looks once installed, how it performs, and how much it's gona cost me once released! :)

Abarth Five O
07-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Another quality product by ATM! Like the new windshield washer bottle/mounting bracket set up (solid), and short direct route of the intake tube. Carefully thought out design and function. As with other ATM products, I'm confident this new ATM CAI will not disappoint. Can't wait to get on the GB list and complement my ATM FMIC.

AudiGuy
07-16-2014, 01:28 PM
So did the plan for a splash guard get scrapped?

WegoFaster@Ambient Thermal Management
07-16-2014, 01:36 PM
So did the plan for a splash guard get scrapped?
The washer reservoir bracket/box is the splash guard

AudiGuy
07-16-2014, 01:37 PM
The washer reservoir bracket/box is the splash guard

Ohhhhh... That sounds fancy :lala:

So when are we looking to release?

zyxelenator
07-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Oh man, ATM will need to do combo group buy later on. FMIC+CAI+ bottle kit. I need them all :)

AudiGuy
07-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Oh man, ATM will need to do combo group buy later on. FMIC+CAI+ bottle kit. I need them all :)

Me 2!! And I believe the bottle and CAI are sold together.

shagghie
07-17-2014, 12:29 AM
More spy shots making their way around the Internet...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/C6ADD508-0E35-46B2-A825-61923193DBBA.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/C6ADD508-0E35-46B2-A825-61923193DBBA.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/015666F9-0491-410F-B8F2-041FF74BDB72.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/015666F9-0491-410F-B8F2-041FF74BDB72.jpg.html)

Abarth Five O
07-17-2014, 01:10 AM
I hope longer breather hoses come w/ the kit. Do you have to remove the front bumper to change oil?

NORCAL SS
07-17-2014, 01:26 AM
yah im going to extend it to the air ducts for ram air effect.

07-17-2014, 04:14 AM
yah im going to extend it to the air ducts for ram air effect.
For a true ram air effect you dont need to extend the filter any further you simply need to encapsulate the filter in the fender. You can do this by sealing off the side vent, the holes in the fender well cover and the area the silicone goes through from the engine bay. NorCal we did the test fit on your system last night and it's a GO. So you have a PM. bigclap

boostaddict
07-17-2014, 05:41 AM
badass intake! when is the groupbuy so I don't miss it!

ophidia31
07-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Pants grow tight

07-17-2014, 02:49 PM
badass intake! when is the groupbuy so I don't miss it!

On our end we are going to start producing 20-25 kits, but we want the INDEPENDANT testers shagghie and NorCal to do install/testing/critiques on the kit. Once they get theirs and give reviews and potential ideas to potentially better the kit we will announce the GB.

shagghie
07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
For a true ram air effect you dont need to extend the filter any further you simply need to encapsulate the filter in the fender. You can do this by sealing off the side vent, the holes in the fender well cover and the area the silicone goes through from the engine bay. NorCal we did the test fit on your system last night and it's a GO. So you have a PM. bigclap

I'm thinking about doing this, and going through different materials options in order to seal things off all the way to create a true 'pocket' for high pressure to accumulate at speed. Any ideas here? Some sort of ply-able rubber that can be bonded might work, or softer, but thick vinyl maybe? I'm kinda intrigued by this idea and may pursue after I get the basic install/write-up done.

zyxelenator
07-17-2014, 03:18 PM
I hope longer breather hoses come w/ the kit. Do you have to remove the front bumper to change oil?
Good question, it is hard to tell from pictures is this intake will be in the way of filter cap? Or you can unbolt it from turbo and slightly move it out of the way? ATM guys, will it complicate oil change even more? If so you guys will need to work on oil filter relocation kit with spin on filters.

AudiGuy
07-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Good question, it is hard to tell from pictures is this intake will be in the way of filter cap? Or you can unbolt it from turbo and slightly move it out of the way? ATM guys, will it complicate oil change even more? If so you guys will need to work on oil filter relocation kit with spin on filters.

I really dont see how this could warrant having to take off the bumper. I would just remove the intake from the turbo, and push the hose towards the firewall to get a little room.

shagghie
07-17-2014, 03:27 PM
I really dont see how this could warrant having to take off the bumper. I would just remove the intake from the turbo, and push the hose towards the firewall to get a little room.

bingo ^

NGEN
07-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Bumper is pretty easy to take off though. 3 bolts up top, 3 on the bottom plus 1 on each side. Remove 3 screws on each fender well and that thing is coming off. Takes about 20 minutes - worth it to make it easier access.

Abarth Five O
07-17-2014, 04:27 PM
I prefer not taking off the bumper unless I absolutely have to. I already broke/replaced the plastic clip on the fender and it's a real PITA to install.

I like the ram air concept and I hope ATM will make this an option or include in the basic kit.

shagghie
07-17-2014, 04:40 PM
I prefer not taking off the bumper unless I absolutely have to. I already broke/replaced the plastic clip on the fender and it's a real PITA to install.

I like the ram air concept and I hope ATM will make this an option or include in the basic kit.

I broke one too have been in there so many times. But i didn't know you could fix or replace them. Is there a part number for that? I assumed that what broke was a tab on the plastic bumper body itself, no? Would love to get rid of the xtra gap I have now....

Abarth Five O
07-17-2014, 05:24 PM
I broke one too have been in there so many times. But i didn't know you could fix or replace them. Is there a part number for that? I assumed that what broke was a tab on the plastic bumper body itself, no? Would love to get rid of the xtra gap I have now....

Here you go Shagghie: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?14251-Replace-Front-Bumper-Brackets
Thanks to Boostaddict!

Crossfirecat
07-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Wow! when I started this thread, I never thought I would actually see this intake come to fruition! It was mostly a hopeful poke at ATM to see if the remote reservoir would be enough to get the ball rolling! So awesome to see the picks Shaggie posted!
Do I get to be the honorary #1 on the group buy list? Lol , Just make sure I get an invoice for one of those first 20-25 units and I'll be happy! bigclap

ophidia31
07-17-2014, 11:05 PM
#2 on the list.

Just start the GB list here then transfer it over to the actual one when it starts. Lol

AudiGuy
07-17-2014, 11:18 PM
#2 on the list.

Just start the GB list here then transfer it over to the actual one when it starts. Lol

Me 3! I'm all over this. I'm sure these guys are slammed with fmic orders right now. But I definitely want a part of the gb.

shagghie
07-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Pray for no T-Storms on Sunday fellas!
after installing this and putting on uni stage 2 I will finally be at a place to dyno this little lady!

ophidia31
07-18-2014, 09:20 AM
How are you going to show differences between the dyno runs?

shagghie
07-18-2014, 09:50 AM
How are you going to show differences between the dyno runs?

Unfortunately I won't be able to find an open dyno this week prior to install. The purpose of the dyno isn't to measure the new ram air intake anyways, as I'm already running the HCI and on a dyno, the deltas between the two would be too close to measure any way. The ram air's primary advantages are in a) less cabin noise and b) moving at speed at 80mph+, and this is when a ram air space has been created around the filter element, which i am not going to have done by by Sunday (I don't *think*). In other words, even the biggest fans in front of the car won't be able to create the same effect as 80mph ram air anyways, and temps wise, the HCI pulls from an ambient high-pressure zone on the car already, while the ram air pulls from near-ambient temps with in a high pressure zone too, but with MINIMAL bend and direction change and shorter silicon. While there is a good chance it makes 1 or 2 more HP than the HCI, I doubt it's enough to tell the difference on the dyno back to back given that the install is more than just a snap-in and will take a few hours since i'm going to move slowly and take pics and measurements.

For me, they dyno run will simply be "what can my car roughly do now, after all these mods' on an average humid day in the summer in Houston?".

ophidia31
07-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Do you plan on sealing off the wheel well/side exits? Otherwise there will be no ramming going on. Even with those two spots covered, I think it will just be a "pocketed ambient air" intake when in motion. Need true ducting leading right to the filter for any kind of ram air situation to take place.

But I would still bet on some power increase with this vs hci. If not more power, almost instant throttle response. The one thing that always bugged me when I had my hci was that tight 90 degree in the cowel area.

shagghie
07-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Do you plan on sealing off the wheel well/side exits? Otherwise there will be no ramming going on. Even with those two spots covered, I think it will just be a "pocketed ambient air" intake when in motion. Need true ducting leading right to the filter for any kind of ram air situation to take place.

But I would still bet on some power increase with this vs hci. If not more power, almost instant throttle response. The one thing that always bugged me when I had my hci was that tight 90 degree in the cowel area.

Will still get ram effect if (and indeed only if) I seal everything around the filter including the upper egress areas prior to the compressor inlet, etc. That may be tricky with the wiring harness and other stuff down in there, and I still need to research and pick a material to use...thinking rubber and RTV silicone for sealing the pieces as I build the pocket. But the area itself is at least as high pressure as the HCI cowl area (meaning positive pressure without an ambient vacuum), so that's already a plus. I don't think I'll need direct-to-filter ducting though as long as we can do a good job sealing a pocket for it. I prefer pockets to direct ducting a lot of times for around-town driving because you generally get more ambient air around the filter element for tip-in off line, etc. For the big track, however, direct ducting can be sweeeeeet...

Cargo
07-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Put me in at #4 for one of these intakes.

bootychickens
07-18-2014, 01:48 PM
5!

shagghie
07-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Looks like it will be Tuedsday before ups gets the unit to me... Argh!

I will have to do the install at night in the driveway over 1 or 2 nights w a flashlight!

steven4264
07-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Your 'fleshlight' is very bright.. :naughty:

AudiGuy
07-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Your 'fleshlight' is very bright.. :naughty:

Hahaha, I didn't even catch that when I first read it.

ophidia31
07-20-2014, 04:52 PM
So thinking about this, I was looking a tmy car the other day and considreding water. I know its not sealed around the lights and water can get in there. Im sure its directly under the headlight, but can it be clocked to be more towards the wheel liner? From what I looked at with the bumper on on my car and you picture, water will get in under the headlight, get stopped at the portion under the headlight and then drip down onto the filter. If it can be moved closer to the wheel liner, it would take care of that issue.

spotman
07-20-2014, 09:30 PM
:thumbsup: Hhmm! Anything like this for the non-turbo, maybe soon?

ophidia31
07-22-2014, 09:17 AM

07-22-2014, 09:36 AM
So thinking about this, I was looking a tmy car the other day and considreding water. I know its not sealed around the lights and water can get in there. Im sure its directly under the headlight, but can it be clocked to be more towards the wheel liner? From what I looked at with the bumper on on my car and you picture, water will get in under the headlight, get stopped at the portion under the headlight and then drip down onto the filter. If it can be moved closer to the wheel liner, it would take care of any water issue.

There really is NO issue, the filter basically sits behind the turn signals toward the center of the car. The intake can also be clocked rearward... I drove around with the prototype for several months with no issue! If an end user wanted to they could purchase a mist cover from outerwearz that basically is a water resistant cover for the filter! I can post the correct part # for our filter!

Abarth Five O
07-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Would there be any significant improvement by adding ram air effects? If so, will you be coming out w/ an option or any recs for that mod? At any rate, look forward to the release of your data logs, GB, etc. as I have a feeling this CAI is going to be very good to maximize the performance of my motor. The heat in the engine bay is a real killer even w/ all of my heat management mods.

ophidia31
07-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Ill probably clock it or looks like a little can be trimmed to move the filter up a little more under the light. Only figure it out once I get one. Hopefully these will be out before it gets cold. Want to get on the dyno before that.

NORCAL SS
07-23-2014, 12:56 AM
can i order this yet lol

07-23-2014, 04:14 AM
can i order this yet lol

Yea so sorry, I've had your stuff ready to go since last week! Pm sent

07-23-2014, 04:17 AM
Would there be any significant improvement by adding ram air effects? If so, will you be coming out w/ an option or any recs for that mod? At any rate, look forward to the release of your data logs, GB, etc. as I have a feeling this CAI is going to be very good to maximize the performance of my motor. The heat in the engine bay is a real killer even w/ all of my heat management mods.
To make it a true ram air system the end user simply has to seal off the side vent, the vent holes in the fender well liner and the area the silicone comes through from the engine bay. You want as much open space around the filter as possible...

AudiGuy
07-23-2014, 01:02 PM

+1

Abarth Five O
07-23-2014, 01:32 PM
To make it a true ram air system the end user simply has to seal off the side vent, the vent holes in the fender well liner and the area the silicone comes through from the engine bay. You want as much open space around the filter as possible...
Unless there are significant gains that can be shown by doing this ram air mod, I'll keep it simple and install as per your kit which by itself should show some significant gains like the HCI. Thxs!

AudiGuy
07-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Unless there are significant gains that can be shown by doing this ram air mod, I'll keep it simple and install as per your kit which by itself should show some significant gains like the HCI. Thxs!

I agree. If anything, I might insulate the area where the filter is but not close it off.

Abarth Five O
07-23-2014, 02:40 PM
I agree. If anything, I might insulate the area where the filter is but not close it off.

I'd probably keep the side vents open to maintain air flow. If anything, I might seal the slots in the plastic fender well.

ophidia31
07-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Probably easiest to use some for of rubber sheet since its flexible to seal off. Just run it from the top to the bottom behind the new fluid tank. From the color version of shaggies picture, these are the areas Id look at. The obvious one to the engine bay. Then the lower one. Only because the radiator is there and hot air might come through that opening. The other is, and Im not 100%, is if there is a large enough opening between the wheel liner and rest of the bay in that section.

Abarth Five O
07-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Probably easiest to use some for of rubber sheet since its flexible to seal off. Just run it from the top to the bottom behind the new fluid tank. From the color version of shaggies picture, these are the areas Id look at. The obvious one to the engine bay. Then the lower one. Only because the radiator is there and hot air might come through that opening. The other is, and Im not 100%, is if there is a large enough opening between the wheel liner and rest of the bay in that section.

I am interested to see how you or Norcal SS does this mod. In any event, even w/o this mod I think ATM's new CAI will still outperform other CAIs by drawing substantially cooler air from this area.

Crossfirecat
07-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Self adhesive sound deadening material with a reflective thermal barrier may work.

ophidia31
07-23-2014, 05:09 PM
I am interested to see how you or Norcal SS does this mod. In any event, even w/o this mod I think ATM's new CAI will still outperform other CAIs by drawing substantially cooler air from this area.

I wouldnt be going all out with it. Would probably just try to cover the two larger spots best I could, cover the slots in the lower wheel liner, seal the light access port better and possibly the side grill exit and leav the front open. Who knows right now. But like you said, either way, its going to be the best spot for the intake with or without sealing those two areas.

Self adhesive sound deadening material with a reflective thermal barrier may work.

Thought about that too, but figured it might get messy if I have to take it off for access to those areas for one thing or another.

shagghie
07-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Ok gentlemen... look for a post soon on the install that will have a full video detailing every step. As for sealing things off, honestly, I think it won't matter either way. For now I used wetsuit material and duct tape to take care of the fender well slats, and then I used some foam from a Pelican case in the bumper side vent just as a splash disruptor. It will still breath some and it will also let SOUND through which is what I want, so others know an Abarth is about to eat them alive.

AND LET ME TELL YOU.... my car is in FULL BEAST MODE right now with this intake! All you do is THINK about going faster and the car reads your mind with zero lag.

It's not just the cool air. And it's not just the 'ram' air in 4th gear (4th gear is a BEAST btw!). I think it is actually the combination of that aluminum venturi that gets laminar airflowing going into the silicone, and the fact that the silicone itself is SO short and has SO little directional change (and it is gradual change too!).
The shorter run and lack of bends are what give it the edge over the HCI. And at speed, there is defo more pressure where the filter is now too.

I did one irresponsible run just now and smoked the 215 rubber all the way thru 2nd and into 3rd... wish I had THAT one on video!

Here is the installation video and first impressions post:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?16979-ATM-Ram-Air-CAI-Installation-and-First-Impressions