PDA

View Full Version : Torque specs for oil feed/return line banjo bolts

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I was hoping someone could tell me the torque specs for the banjo bolts (2 each) on both the oil feed and return lines for the turbo. I found some evidence of seeping around the lines and just to be safe I am replacing the washers, seals, and banjo bolts on both of them when I get my car back. There is a slight chance it is there from the last oil change but I doubt it since it would have to drop just right to get where it is and not anywhere else. Plus I can see it on the bottom of the turbo where the return line starts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ScorpionSkins.com
11-08-2013, 10:26 PM
I apologize as I don't have any useful information to contribute to your inquiry, but shouldn't this be a warranty issue worth looking into if this is the case?

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 10:37 PM
My car is well past bringing it in for this. I wouldn't feel like putting it back to stock and there are quite a few things they could say were the cause. It was like $40 for all the parts anyways and I don't mind doing it.

ScorpionSkins.com
11-08-2013, 10:55 PM
My car is well past bringing it in for this. I wouldn't feel like putting it back to stock and there are quite a few things they could say was the cause. It's was like $40 for all the parts anyways and I don't mind doing it.

Understood. It really would be nice if someone leaked the Fiat tech repair manual for these vehicles the way I've seen it happen in many other car communities (legalities aside, it's a tremendous resource to have). It would be a real help for the D-I-Yers that would like to rely on official literature. Hopefully someone has the answer for you, otherwise I'd try bugging a Fiat tech (if someone at your local dealership lets you get close enough to one without asking too many questions).

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 11:00 PM
There are a couple people on here that probably have the specs. I'm sure they will chime in.

Fiat500USA
11-08-2013, 11:11 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a7DibgUSo3s/Un2ll_hXHOI/AAAAAAAAS84/c51b8ts9bgM/s800/Abarth%2520500%2520Turbo%2520lines.jpg

NOTE: Banjo bolts and banjo bolt gaskets must be replaced during assembly.

NOTE: The oil supply and return lines must be replaced during assembly or ANY TIME the fittings are loosened to prevent turbine bearing failure due to debris.

Connect the wastegate supply hose to the actuator pump (2).

Connect the turbocharger pressure sensor hose (1).

Install the coolant return line with new washers located on the rear side of the turbocharger. Tighten to 38 Nm ( 28 ft. lbs.).

Install the coolant supply banjo bolt (4) and new washers. Tighten to 38 Nm (28 ft. lbs.).

Install the new oil supply line, banjo bolts (3) and washers. Tighten to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.).

Install the lower new oil return line (5) and new upper gasket. Tighten the bolt to 14 Nm (124 in. lbs.).

Install the previously removed surge valve and tighten the bolts to 9 Nm (80 in. lbs.)

Connect the turbocharger surge valve connector (6).

Fiat500USA
11-08-2013, 11:23 PM
It really would be nice if someone leaked the Fiat tech repair manual ...

Let's not incourage that, though.angelgrin We have a good relationship and don't want to hurt that. The manual is now available and isn't really that much, especially compared to the factory Audi manuals I've bought.

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Awesome, thank you so much Chris!