PDA

View Full Version : First post! first couple of problems! a wub wub wub sound...

shimagoma
11-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Hi all! so first off.. I love my little pop, its my commuter car, my throw all my athletic gear into the car and drive when im not biking car.
BUT ive encountered a sound that im not sure how to place?
Its a manual, and right around 30 to 65 my car starts to make a fairly low "wub wub wub wub wub" like something is rotating, it is both when I accelerate and when I am coasting in neutral so...

I wasnt sure if it was something encountered by others or if i should go ahead and use that warranty. But i wanted to ask since my dealer is a ways out of the way for me.

thanks!

Tweak
11-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Premature tire wear issues perhaps? Any chance of a video of this sound? I don't recall reading of this before but it is obviously possible others have the same issue, hopefully someone will be along shortly with more information.

msjulie33
11-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Tire would be my guess too unless it has a metal-scrapping component.. then a bearing. I still vote for the tire, cupped perhaps

rnddude
11-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Something must be wubbing....(sorry, I couldn't resist!):positive:

pastor passum
11-08-2013, 02:34 PM

:clap:

ScorpionSkins.com
11-08-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm sorry to offer this bad news, but I'm afraid your vehicle has been infected with the dubstep...

http://loldamn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/funny-gif-Skrillex-DJ-bee1.gif

Apply the cream twice a day and the rash will subside with time.

(In all seriousness, it sounds like you're describing a tire issue. Get get them looked at!)

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm sorry to offer this bad news, but I'm afraid your vehicle has been infected with the dubstep...

(In all seriousness, it sounds like you're describing a tire issue. Get get them looked at!).

Oh god, that's funny.

modular
11-08-2013, 05:56 PM

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/scottozanne/misc1/lol_zps59ec794f.jpg
LOL

charliesheen
11-08-2013, 05:59 PM

(In all seriousness, it sounds like you're describing a tire issue. Get get them looked at!)

LOL, was thinking the same. Car must have the dubstepz.

MikeThinks
11-08-2013, 07:14 PM
I must concur with the relevant posters on this thread...a "WUB" sound is almost always a tire issue...and less frequently a wheel bearing(many bearing click or thump, but some do make a drone like sound). Have you looked at your tires? How many miles on the car?

Let us know!

rnddude
11-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Many, many years ago, before the era of political correctness, I saw this posted in a tire store (and I am half Italian, BTW):
"We have the new Italian snow tires! Dago in snow, dago in sleet, dago in mud, and if they go flat, dago wop-wop-wop"

Fiat500USA
11-09-2013, 01:24 PM
It's accepted here in this country to deride Italians and to spew every negative stereotype imaginable. Even today you see Italians potrayed as fat slobs, hot heads, idiots or mobsters. All vey funny, no? It's a big joke to people, but when you drive your Italian Fiat and people talk nonsense about it and think you're dumb for buying it, we're all paying the price for laughing and giving some idiot a pass. Watch TV and the majority of what you see is a negative portrayal.

vashts1985
03-20-2014, 07:49 PM
i hear a wub wub wub most the time i am driving mine, but its usually coming from pandora and not the car DJsmile

shimagoma
07-02-2014, 11:07 AM
wow so i ended up getting this looked at! Just to let people know! since i never posted the resolution!

the wheel bearings were bad in the front on BOTH sides! ): thank goodness for warranty ...

Tweak
07-02-2014, 08:57 PM
wow so i ended up getting this looked at! Just to let people know! since i never posted the resolution!

the wheel bearings were bad in the front on BOTH sides! ): thank goodness for warranty ...

Glad it got resolved and thanks for posting back the results!

rosskell
06-16-2017, 02:31 PM
I know this is an old thread but I have the wup wup. I am guessing it is wheel bearing also. Anyone have a way to diagnose which side or if it is both?

Thanks

Fiat500USA
06-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Here's one way to tell. First, make sure your tires are inflated correctly. Then drive down deserted smooth road away from traffic, and wiggle the steering wheel slowly and slightly left to right (maybe half to one second left, half to one second right). Listen to hear if the noise changes when doing so. If the noise goes away or diminishes when turning to the left the left side is bad. If it goes away when turning to the right, the right side is bad. What you are doing is shifting the weight momentarily off of the bad bearing and the noise goes away or isn't as loud. Be careful doing this and you are really just making the car wiggle. Probably around 30-40mph is a good speed. Let us know.

Also, check your tires because a tire with a pronounced wear pattern can also make a similar noise.

Eventually, if the bearing is bad enough this test might not work because the bearing is really shot and will make noise all the time.

Burkett1983
06-16-2017, 04:56 PM
Hopefully you get these small issues resolved. Otherwise do you still wub the car?

Schwebel
06-16-2017, 05:14 PM
I just replaced a rear one last week. The way I was able to tell and pinpoint what bearing it was, was to jack up the front of the car and check for play (there are youtube videos that show you how to do this) and also rotate each front side by hand and see if they both sounded and felt the same. Then I jacked up the rear. I spun each tire as fast as I could and listened. My driver's side rear was much louder and seemed harder to rotate and sure enough it was bad. The rear's are actually very easy to replace, as you replace the whole hub and do not need a press.

rosskell
06-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Good tip. Thanks. I definitely hear the noise diminish when I veer left. It sounds like the front to me. I'll jack it up like Schwebel suggests and check it out. It's been 30 years since I have replaced a wheel bearing on a car and back then you pulled it out and had to pack the bearing with grease. From what Schwebel says you replace the whole hub for the rears and I guess you have to have the bearing pressed in for the front. Man, I just looked up the cost for fronts and these bearings are expensive. They run from $70 to $170. I wonder if the $170 ones are that much better?

Thanks again for the quick response and help.

rosskell
06-18-2017, 03:22 PM
OK, jacked up the car and found this sound on the rear passenger side. Does this sound like wheel bearing to anyone? It sounds like something rubbing but I cannot find anything rubbing on it so I assume it is my wub wub sound once the car has weight on it.

https://youtu.be/FxORHFCzzz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxORHFCzzz4&feature=youtu.be

Schwebel
06-18-2017, 05:27 PM
OK, jacked up the car and found this sound on the rear passenger side. Does this sound like wheel bearing to anyone? It sounds like something rubbing but I cannot find anything rubbing on it so I assume it is my wub wub sound once the car has weight on it.

https://youtu.be/FxORHFCzzz4

Kind of hard to tell from that video, could be normal brake noise, but also kind of sounds like bearing scrape. Spin it as fast as you can, does it sound different from the other side? Does it seem to not spin as fast or have some resistance compared to the other side? It's easiest to tell when the whole rear end is up at once and you can compare the sound side by side.

rosskell
06-18-2017, 10:56 PM
The two back wheels definitively have a different sound. I think I will try to replace that back one to start with. Thanks for everyone's input. Hopefully this will fix it.