PDA

View Full Version : Top Mount Issues?

ScorpionSkins.com
11-07-2013, 10:13 PM
I've been hearing a lot of suspension noise (clunking, knocking) recently from the front of my vehicle. I brought the vehicle to the dealership and they replaced the jounce bumpers with the updated versions per the recent TSB. Unfortunately, the noise is still there and is more so evident under heavy passenger load or on uneven pavement. I have another appointment with the dealership next week to replace the top mounts and I am hoping that will resolve the issue.

Has anyone had any problems with their top mounts so far? It's quite the issue on the European forums, but my vehicle is only 12,500 miles old, so it's a little disheartening to encounter such an issue this early on. I'm running completely stock.

Any one else experiencing a similar issue or have any opinions to offer?

Tweak
11-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Check my reply on the other forum, but basically... intermediate steering shaft remains as a potential sound source. Good luck.

Abarth Five O
11-08-2013, 12:00 AM
The oem top strut mount is a weak link in the equation. Replacement could be a temporary fix as the "plopping" noise may eventually come back. I had the "plopping" noise with my first set of COs. Changed the top strut mounts as recommended and noise came right back. A contributing factor was the CO design. Installed a different set of COs and the noise is gone after putting on more than 6k miles.

ScorpionSkins.com
11-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Installed a different set of COs and the noise is gone after putting on more than 6k miles.

Thanks for the info. Which were the coilovers you experienced success with?

I'd like to proceed with suspension mods after the warranty is up. I'm leaning towards the Bilsteins for the moment being.

I'm certainly hoping this won't be a reoccurring issue if I can take steps to avoid it....

Tweak
11-08-2013, 12:34 AM

I'd like to proceed with suspension mods after the warranty is up. I'm leaning towards the Bilsteins for the moment being.

I'm certainly hoping this won't be a reoccurring issue if I can take steps to avoid it....

I have no noise that I can think of and run Bilstein coils, RRM front braces and rear torsion bar in case that is of any help to you.

Abarth Five O
11-08-2013, 01:21 AM

BC COs. If I ever have to replace them I'll probably try the Bilsteins. Fortune is supposed come out w/ theirs but the wait has been indefinite.

Ryephile
11-08-2013, 02:03 PM
The strut top mount allows for significant deflection tangential to the axis of the strut. The upper piece of the mount that clamps the lower mount/bearing to the strut tower sheetmetal is mainly to blame because it merely keeps it from falling out of the car, not clamping it to the car whatsoever. This results in dynamic alignment changes (toe and camber flop around during bumps and corners). Anytime the mount shifts it likely creates a clunking or plopping or knocking sound.

As it stands, there are no drop-in replacements that fix the root cause of the problem, however there may be solutions in the works.

-->Tweak: could you link us to this steering shaft thing?

Tweak
11-08-2013, 09:09 PM
The strut top mount allows for significant deflection tangential to the axis of the strut. The upper piece of the mount that clamps the lower mount/bearing to the strut tower sheetmetal is mainly to blame because it merely keeps it from falling out of the car, not clamping it to the car whatsoever. This results in dynamic alignment changes (toe and camber flop around during bumps and corners). Anytime the mount shifts it likely creates a clunking or plopping or knocking sound.

As it stands, there are no drop-in replacements that fix the root cause of the problem, however there may be solutions in the works.

I do not recall an exact link but many have mentioned taking their cars in for service, not sure there is a TSB or such but it does come up often enough to be a potential issue causing "clunks". Search returns this (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/search.php?searchid=640888) in case some of these threads are useful, sorry I don't have anything specific. The other forum has mention of the same in case you wish to check more there.

Abarth Five O
11-09-2013, 12:12 AM

Thanks Ryan for your scientific explanation. In other words, it has too much play or slop. A camber plate would be the proper solution. Hopefully, Fortune, HVT, or another mfr. will come out w/ one w/ their COs.

Fiat500USA
11-09-2013, 12:42 AM

Try this one: Do you have front end noise? (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6927-Do-you-have-front-end-noise)

Tweak
11-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Try this one: Do you have front end noise? (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6927-Do-you-have-front-end-noise)

Thanks Chris, that one came up as 2nd in my list of results when doing a search I attempted to link above. (Also linked here hoping it works properly). http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/search.php?searchid=643639

ScorpionSkins.com
11-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Well, I spent a good portion of my day at the dealership getting the noisy suspension issue corrected. The passenger side top mount and a few other minor components had to be replaced as suspected, but the drive is now back to being very quite (as it first was at first purchase).

I appreciate all the advice and technical input from you guys.

I'm crossing my fingers that the current top mounts will remain quite for the foreseeable future, or at the very least until a better drop in solution exists. :)

Now to get the defective Pirelli tires replaced and I'll be back to enjoying the vehicle without undesired noise to worry about...