PDA

View Full Version : Flying through a corner on Tail of the Dragon - Photo by Killboy

musicsurf
11-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Monday afternoon the Dragon was more or less empty and I was really able to open up. It was an awesome time and running it twice was a great way to end a day that included 419 miles of mostly driving twisties between the Dragon, Moonshiner 28, 64, 215, and 281. The photo was taken by Killboy on one of the many super fun turns on the Dragon.

Ryephile
11-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Killboy is good people. :) Nice picture too, car looks good!

musicsurf
11-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks Ryan! It looks good except for the chunk out of my sideskirt, but that is getting fixed at the body shop as we speak.

Ryephile
11-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Ouch; I kinda thought it was a leaf or misc debris on the road.

As an aside, my favorite road down there is Hwy 28 from the crossroads to Fontana. It's nice and dynamic, from slow hairpins to fast straightaways and everything in between.

musicsurf
11-07-2013, 10:28 PM
28 is a lot of fun. If you haven't and ever get the chance to drive it, 215 from 276 to 64 is a blast. It's nice and tight on either side of the mountain and up top along the ridge is a lot like Cherohala. I have another secret road that gives the Dragon serious competition further north between TN and NC. You should try and make it for the spring Fiats on the Dragon.

pastor passum
11-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Great shot! You can almost see daylight under the right front.

Abarth Five O
11-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Nice drop and compression w/ the Sportlines and Konis through the turn.

modular
11-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Doin' work!!!!

mudking
11-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Looking good, fellow Floridian Abarth...I need to get to one of these roads already. That picture should be on the front cover of a magazine.

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Great shot! You can almost see daylight under the right front.

After the lookout on the other side of the Dragon I actually did pull my front passenger side wheel off the ground. In the video I exclaim "That was the front wheel". The Dragon is really a fun road because, in my opinion, it's easy to push the limit because it is fairly forgiving most of the time. Devil's Triangle and my more secret road further north, very different story.

Ryephile
11-08-2013, 12:15 PM
.... You should try and make it for the spring Fiats on the Dragon.

When is that? *edit* April 3rd according to FB (https://www.facebook.com/FiatOnTheDragon/events). That's pretty early in the season, brrr!

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Brrr... coming from someone in Michigan??? Lol

Ryephile
11-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Yup. As soon as I leave Michigan I just sort of [usually correctly] assume the weather will be amazing. :)

*edit* How come the FotD isn't staying at Fontana Village? It's pretty much the perfect venue for car clubs to roam the area plus it just kills it with local flair and awesome escapism from everyday urban angriness.

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Looking good, fellow Floridian Abarth...I need to get to one of these roads already. That picture should be on the front cover of a magazine.

If you ever want to hit some roads in Florida, I'm down. There aren't many but there are a few. The best I know of is probably E Gobbler Dr in Floral City. It actually has twisties!

2Cool
11-08-2013, 04:15 PM
The east coast of Florida seems to have been laid out with a straight edge and a string, very few curves anywhere. Some of the older county roads on the mid to west side have a lot more curves to work with, but nothing like north of the Mason Dixon line.

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 04:20 PM
The east coast of Florida seems to have been laid out with a straight edge and a string, very few curves anywhere. Some of the older county roads on the mid to west side have a lot more curves to work with, but nothing like north of the Mason Dixon line.

I know, it's so sad. The closest thing we have to good roads in our neck of the woods are on and off ramps.

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Yup. As soon as I leave Michigan I just sort of [usually correctly] assume the weather will be amazing. :)

*edit* How come the FotD isn't staying at Fontana Village? It's pretty much the perfect venue for car clubs to roam the area plus it just kills it with local flair and awesome escapism from everyday urban angriness.

Fontana is definitely nice, but busy and huge. If I remember correctly, Brett said that we are getting this whole place to ourselves which will be really cool. It's going to be a lot more loosely laid out with people being able to choose to go do their own drives. This looks like a good central location to some really good roads and it seems like it will allow for a more laid back time. Brett knows the area well and I have complete trust in him to put together an amazing time.

On a separate note, I just edited some of the video from this drive. I drive by Killboy taking the picture at around 2:45 in the video. Sorry about the strange selection in music. I can't stop listening to this guy (Son Lux) since his new album was released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpYa5lI-0Ww&feature=youtu.be

Abarth67
11-08-2013, 04:49 PM

Our goal is to start off the driving season right and have some fun. April is usually fine in East Tennessee but if can be cold sometimes. After our stay at Fontana Village at the fall event, I have no desire to go back anytime soon. The group rate was not anything special and they were very unforgiving with a couple of the situations from someone who was not able to come. Most of the rooms were nice but mine was marginal at best.

The place in Townsend will be great. Still close enough to hit the roads and have fun.

redred
11-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Cool video! Where do you have the camera mounted (and is it a GoPro?) I like the vantage point.

(also dig the music! Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna check it out on my drive home tonight)

musicsurf
11-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Cool video! Where do you have the camera mounted (and is it a GoPro?) I like the vantage point.

(also dig the music! Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna check it out on my drive home tonight)

It is a GoPro. I have one of the curved quick connection mounts applied to the bottom of the pass through for a harness. Then I just have two connectors to space the GoPro far enough away from the mount and give it the ability to move up, down, left, and right. Happy you like the music. I used to be really big into electronic music, but not so much anymore. His I have just always liked since I heard it like five years ago.

redred
11-08-2013, 11:07 PM
It is a GoPro. I have one of the curved quick connection mounts applied to the bottom of the pass through for a harness. Then I just have two connectors to space the GoPro far enough away

That's a great idea!!!!! I hope you don't mind but I may have to steal that one!

musicsurf
11-09-2013, 01:25 AM
That's a great idea!!!!! I hope you don't mind but I may have to steal that one!

Go for it!