PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic for the First Five Thousand!!!

twillyspree
11-06-2013, 08:44 PM
This is, by far, (Fiat Abarth) the most trouble free car I have ever owned in the first five thousand miles of use - I'm really impressed! This is not a "promo" or excitement over the brand..... A Fiat I owned when I was late teens/early twenties (see avatar) was a complete piece of (expletive deleted) so I am what scientists like to a "control group"

So what's the problem?

I have been advised the oil change on a late model Fiat Abarth is something only a "B" Hollywood horror movie can replicate..... The climax of the plot involves the filter change that only Nuclear Physicists understand and even they screw it up.

I just like doing my own oil & filter changes, with "hot" oil and would love any info on tools/information that would not involve a visit to my Chiropractor after I do it.

Thanks

p.s. My Chiropractor has a Ferrari.

ScorpionSkins.com
11-06-2013, 08:57 PM
The best advice I can give is the following:

It's easier to remove the turbo inlet tubing to access the filter housing than to struggle pulling it through the wiring and obstructions in the way.
Logically, be careful not to overtighten the filter housing when reinstalling as it is plastic and could very easily crack.
The position of the oil drain plug will spew oil out sideways all over the nearest beam. Never underestimate the convenience of a folded cardboard box. Wedged into position as a slide, it should allow all the oil to drain nicely into your pan and only over the cardboard box as opposed to all over the beam (or yourself).

That's the best I can offer from my first oil change. I'm sure more experienced individuals will have some better tips!

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
11-06-2013, 09:02 PM
If you want to change the oil yourself, buy an oil extractor it makes the job a heck of a lot easier.

ABARTH TAMER
11-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Here's another: Remove dipstick or oil cap before draining to avoid burping oil.

This engine is used in other applications. For this car, filter changes were an afterthought.
Skinny arms are a plus!

At 7K my AB HAS ALSO BEEN TROUBLE FREE.

musicsurf
11-06-2013, 09:07 PM
If you want to change the oil yourself, buy an oil extractor it makes the job a heck of a lot easier.

+1 Also, I think the socket on the cover is a 27mm. Use a universal joint and long extension and you are good to go.

FTY
11-06-2013, 09:39 PM
+1 Also, I think the socket on the cover is a 27mm. Use a universal joint and long extension and you are good to go.

+1

Do the filter change from the top. 27k+ trouble free miles so far. Modified for 25k of that.

Robert Nixon
11-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I agree that the oil filter could have been a bit easier, but it wasn't all that bad once you move some of the air intake out of the way.

To avoid spilling oil on the beam or whatever is in the way, I managed to just slowly loosen the oil pan plug and when the oil started flowing just held it in place, and the stream of oil missed running onto the beam. If you've got time to lay there or stand under a lift it's not so bad, but the extractor would be even easier to remove the oil from the top.

twillyspree
11-06-2013, 10:33 PM
The best advice I can give is the following:
It's easierer to remove the turbo inlet tubing to access the filter housing than to struggle pulling it through the wiring and obstructions in the way.

That's the best I can offer from my first oil change. I'm sure more experienced individuals will have some better tips!

That was one of the first things I was concerned about.... You're doing a simple "oil change"..... And, from what I looked at, you have to remove the "blaster box" right to the turbo!!!!

Is this wise?

Turbos are finicky at best.....

musicsurf
11-07-2013, 12:32 AM
That was one of the first things I was concerned about.... You're doing a simple "oil change"..... And, from what I looked at, you have to remove the "blaster box" right to the turbo!!!!

Is this wise?

Turbos are finicky at best.....

It's just the air intake, no problem removing it at all. It seems like I have mine off at least once a week tinkering with something.

msjulie33
11-07-2013, 12:48 AM

I can't second third or forth that enough - not crawling under a car and getting oil splatter everywhere is priceless