PDA

View Full Version : MiTo review, Buenos Aires

Andree
11-06-2013, 11:53 AM
"In terms of comfort, the sports car is one of the most complete available, as it features a bi-area air conditioning system, the Blue&Me system with controls on the steering wheel, electric headlight controls, parking sensors and heated side mirrors, among other elements.

The equipment is above the average seen in the segment, while safety features are also outstanding thanks to ABS brakes, cruise control, seven airbags, curve breaking control, anti-fog headlights and hill-start assist.

Under the hood we find a MultiAir 1.4 litre engine that manages 170HP at 5,500 rpm with 250Nm of torque at 2,500 rpm. Its weight/strength relationship at 124HP per litre of displacement is truly sensational: 6.5kg per HP. This is the highest value ever registered by an Alfa, which highlights the effectiveness of the “downsizing” concept, which is applied to top technology engines to increase performance with noticeably reduced fuel consumption rates and emissions. The reduced consumption weighs in at 4.6 litres per 100 kilometres in the city. Acceleration from zero to 100kmph is achieved in 7.6 seconds and the maximum speed is 225kmph."

http://buenosairesherald.com/article/144482/the-alfa-romeo-that-surprises

MiTo 2014, UK:

The range has been streamlined, with a choice of four trims. Entry-level Sprint includes air-conditioning, alloy wheels, leather-trimmed steering wheel and seven airbags. Upgrading to Distinctive spec adds features such as 17in alloy wheels, cruise control and rear parking sensors, while Sportiva cars get 18in alloy wheels, sportier steering wheel and handbrake trim and satin-effect exterior details.

The high-performance Quadrifoglio Verde model gets Brembo brake calipers, a bespoke suspension system and sports seats.

The range of five turbocharged engines includes a new two-cylinder 0.9 Twinair petrol unit that has 20bhp more than the previous Twinair engine.

Prices for the 2014 Alfa Romeo Mito start at £14,350 for the 105hp Twinair Sprint and rise to £18,995 for the Quadrifoglio Verde.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/alfa-romeo/10389177/2014-Alfa-Romeo-Mito-prices-announced.html

THIS is the kind of car that I'd be bringing to the US and putting in Fiat dealers. It appears to be somewhat similar to our own Fiats, with many versions. I like that, and it provides the bridge from the Fiat to the Alfa line. Would be especially good with the twin air model, for economy (add it to the Fiat too).

Then having the limited 4C at Fiat and Maserati. Maserati ONLY gets the 4C, not the rest of the line. And adding in the other Alfa vehicles to the Fiat dealerships over time. Sort of like the dealers got the specialty 595 and 695 Abarth versions. They can have the promo expensive items at Maserati and head over to Fiat/Alfa dealers to check out the rest of the line if they are so inclined.

It makes perfect sense to me, to have a huge selection of two-door runabouts all on one lot. The Alfa MiTo starts around 23,000 using currency converter. So it does fit in with the Fiat prices.

It's one of THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS (in my opinion) to smoothly transition from one brand to another on the same lot. I want a staircase of prices and options, that allows me to go up or down, depending on my needs and my budget. The smaller the steps are, the easier it is to go up or down. And either way, there is potential for cross-selling, keeping the customer on the lot to buy on the lot. It's easy to picture a person going in for an Alfa and leaving with a Fiat, or visa versa. If we're talking 500 and MiTo.

Having the 4C on the lot, as well as the current and upcoming versions of the 500 and Alfas is the bonus. They cover just about anything anyone could want, short of a truck. And Fiat has those in other countries. So if they came over, both the personal and professional offerings, everything you could ever want in a vehicle could all be on one lot.

Here's a convenient link to the Alfa UK site, if anyone wants to look at the MiTo and other Alfa things available over there:
http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/uk/#/home

I'm off to play with the MiTo configurator!

Andree
11-06-2013, 12:33 PM
MANY of the items requested for the Fiat 500 are already available on the Alfa MiTo. I'm in the car configurator now, looking at the 170 hp Quadrifoglio Verde. Space saving spare tire AND puncture fix and go standard, adjustable height driver and passenger seats, standard. Anti-intrusion sensors for the front windows, standard. It says it has one-touch windows, but doesn't specify in the configurator if that is both up and down, or just down. Electrically folding mirrors are optional.

Into the Sprint model, options allow choosing chrome or black light surrounds, mirrors.

Distinctive model allows choosing chrome (standard), titanium gray, or black for light surrounds, mirrors. Visibility option pack has dusk sensor, rain sensor, electrochromic rearview mirror.

There are quite a few more interior options, depending upon which trim you select. Cloth, leather, black, red, brown/natural, black cloth with white or bronze or gray inserts. And there are a few more colors than the Abarth classics. Roof painted black is an optional combo on some. There's a blue available. And both a purple black and a brown/bronze color.

FTY
11-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I really like these a lot! Thanks for the article!

Andree
11-06-2013, 04:10 PM
The MiTo also has "special editions" like we do with our Fiats. I suppose those pop in and out yearly?

One they have in the UK right now is the MiTo Live:
http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/uk/#/models/mito/mito-live

It has a sporty look to it, yet uses the incredibly thrifty twin air:

Alfa Romeo has been working hard to combine all the things important to you to help create the soundtrack to your life. Not only will you look great in the New Alfa MiTo Live but you also get all of these sporty extras:
- Alfa Red special paint as standard
- Sleek black gloss roof, wing mirror covers and door handles
- 17” Titanium Sports alloy wheels with red brake calipers
- Dark tinted windows
- Red brake Calipers
- Sporty rear bumper

If you want to stay connected then we have the perfect solution as the Alfa MiTo Live comes with…
- Smartphone driven Pioneer AppRadio®
- BOSE® 9-speaker sound system including subwoofer and digital amplifier
- 7 inch touchscreen
- iPhone and Android compatible
- Built-in Bluetooth®handsfree

Range of official fuel consumption figures for the Alfa MiTo Live Limited Edition: Urban 57.6 mpg (4.9 I/100km); Extra Urban 74.3 mpg (3.8 I/100km); Combined 67.3 mpg (4.2 I/100km). CO2 emissions 98 g/km.

Contrast with another special edition, SBK:

http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/uk/#/models/mito/mito-sbk

For those looking for the ultimate combination of performance and safety, the Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde SBK Limited Edition offers unadulterated sports spirit and is packed full of technology, safety and sports features including Sabelt ® seats with carbon fibre shell and red stitching, aluminium sports pedals and 18" Quadrifoglio Verde Titanium alloy wheels.

There's those Sabelt seats some of you have talked about before.

The Alfa would be the one with a few more options than we have on our Fiats. I'm fine with my regular 500, other than wanting that ultra-thrifty twinair for the mpg. I don't need or really desire anything more than what I have. It suits my needs quite well at the current time.

However, offering up double the cars around the same price points is soooo appealing. I know from some of the posts here, that many folks may have gravitated towards some of the Alfa models for mpg, options, performance, or just the Sabelt seats and carbon fiber. Especially the folks who like that racing around hobby stuff. The Quadrifoglio Verde is lower to the ground and has the stiff suspension, probably better suited to weaving around cones. I don't know anything about it, but I'm sure someone here does and can check out the MiTo versions against the Abarth.

trevc
11-06-2013, 04:13 PM
I need to move back to England :sad:

Robert Nixon
11-06-2013, 04:38 PM
I like the idea of having FIAT, Alfa, and Lancia in the US, and as much as I'd like to see the MiTo or Giulietta here, it looks like they end up costing over $30,000 if you throw in the turbo and leather seats similar to the $24,000 Abarth. I just don't think the US is ready for a small $30K car from Alfa unless it's the future Alfa/Miata that we hope to get. Marchionne has stated that this is the reason he's targeting the US primarily with the 4C to gather interest, but that the real test will be with the Giulia and the Alfa/Miata.

Andree
11-06-2013, 06:48 PM
I like the idea of having FIAT, Alfa, and Lancia in the US, and as much as I'd like to see the MiTo or Giulietta here, it looks like they end up costing over $30,000 if you throw in the turbo and leather seats similar to the $24,000 Abarth. I just don't think the US is ready for a small $30K car from Alfa unless it's the future Alfa/Miata that we hope to get. Marchionne has stated that this is the reason he's targeting the US primarily with the 4C to gather interest, but that the real test will be with the Giulia and the Alfa/Miata.

If the US isn't ready for a 30K Alfa, what makes it ready for a 70K Alfa?

I think we'd be getting what we paid for with the Alfa MiTo. It has some extras that aren't on the Fiats. The extras that people asked for in the Fiat 500 - Version 2.0 thread here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5041-Fiat-500-Version-2-0

All those requests for the Fiat WILL add on to the price. Whether the goodies are offered in the Fiat or in the Alfa, there is a price to be paid for them. Wanting somewhat upgraded plastics or softer leather or stiffer racier suspension and seats, we have to PAY for it. And yet many of us were fairly pleased with the prices of the Fiat as it is. We LIKE the looks of our Fiats, on the outside, as they are. And many of us do not want the exterior altered.

If we were to add in the MiTo, we could have our cake and eat it too. We can continue to have our Fiats, as they are, which I like. But we can also have the MiTo with more upgrades (and the higher price to show for the upgrades), and it's evolving form. I'm not "attached" to the MiTo's current body style, so if it was updated, it wouldn't matter...we don't have ANY version of it right now.

The Giulia is bigger and will cost more than the MiTo. So no entry level vehicle there. The Alfa/Mazda twins will be two-seaters, right?

The staircase I mentioned as analogy then becomes much steeper. There would be nothing in the Alfa line comparable with the Fiat, just sedans, wagons, SUVs, and two seaters. If Fiat doesn't offer the goodies currently on the MiTo and requested by so many in the Version 2.0 thread, there are lost sales. Because I see a lot of potential in the MiTo as it is.

The MiTo seems to be "a little bit more" than the Fiat. A few more interior combinations, a few more speakers for the audiophile, a bit more horsepower, etc. I think they would mesh so well. With only two basic cars (500/Abarth and MiTo), you'd have oodles of variety. Maybe make the Diesel exclusive to one or the other, and make the Twin Air exclusive to one or the other. Or offer on both.

Remember, this vehicle isn't a concept, it's readily available in other countries and people must be buying some of them in order to continue making those vehicles. Are the other countries in which the MiTo is offered in a lot wealthier per capita than the US? Whomever buys there will be similar to the people that end up buying here. Those people. You know. Buyers of MiTos. haha

And I'm thinking of the used car scenario. We all know cars lose value as soon as they are titled. Right? There are good deals out there on used Fiats, making them much more affordable for folks who can't buy new. The same will happen to most any car. Over time. There will be a $5,000 Fiat Pop someday, perhaps with high miles, that someone will buy, because it will still be a good car. Likewise on a MiTo. It may start off as pricey, but over time, it will become a bit more affordable.

So on the same lot, two cars (500 and MiTo), new and used, with much easier to afford prices on the used versions. Gives everyone a chance to get a car. This Fiat is my first new car. All the rest of my cars were used.

Of course, maybe Alfa doesn't want people to ease into their brand and want to make a stark dividing line between Fiat and Alfa in the US. I don't know.

My thoughts are that there are more people with less than there are people with more (money). It's not just about the new car today, it's also about the used car tomorrow. Make sense?

Robert Nixon
11-06-2013, 10:40 PM
I was just thinking that Alfa might really just go the rear drive route, and be more of a cheaper Maserati than a more expensive FIAT. To me the typical US car buyer wants a German BMW/Mercedes/Audi if they are shopping in the 30K range and want a European car, which is another reason why I think Alfa is targeting the bigger Giulia as the big player in the US market. With the combination of FIAT, Alfa, Maserati, Ferrari, and the Chrysler Dodge Ram brands, they've pretty much got everything there, so it just depends on now they want all those brands to play out in the US in the price range and features.

Those of us on this forum are already big fans of Italian cars, and we'll buy an Alfa when it's offered, but are there enough buyers like us for Alfa to make it in the US? I'm just saying that if they bring a couple of 30K front wheel drive MiTo and Giuliettas as the core of Alfa, it won't work here. I could be wrong, so at least I'm not betting on how it goes with billions of dollars like the FIAT brand will do.