PDA

View Full Version : Autoweek review: 500L Easy

Andree
11-04-2013, 08:37 PM
"I'm convinced this car is one of the best values in family transportation on the market today. The stretch Fiat put on the 500 shell is just about perfect, yielding plenty of head and legroom for both front and rear passengers, along with a double-decker cargo well that would put that of some so-called crossover SUVs to shame."

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131104/carreviews/131039988#ixzz2jj7Jq64j

There are four reviews from different staffers. Three of four loved it.

Fazzster
11-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks for sharing! I disagree with it being under-powered. I often drive it loaded down with my wife and 3 kids in the back and I never found it lacking. My daily driver is a 200HP GTI, as a comparison, the 500L still feels powerful enough. I think many of these writers forget it is only 1.4L. Frankly, I am impressed such tiny displacement can make so much torque.

Andree
11-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks for sharing! I disagree with it being under-powered. I often drive it loaded down with my wife and 3 kids in the back and I never found it lacking. My daily driver is a 200HP GTI, as a comparison, the 500L still feels powerful enough. I think many of these writers forget it is only 1.4L. Frankly, I am impressed such tiny displacement can make so much torque.

Thanks for commenting!

I think that the reviews and first drives being done by the various automotive entities are always going to compare vehicles to other vehicles. They drive so many different vehicles, that it becomes easy to say something is "underpowered"...because they are comparing it to something else in their mind or in the article. Notice none of the reviews, of any car, ever say it's "overpowered". LOL.

Many vehicles, from my own point of view, are indeed overpowered, for my own usage and driving needs. Speed limits around here are in the 25-35 range with a brief section of 45. With pedestrians, cyclists, kids, animals. My little regular Fiat 500 is overpowered for the area. My old VW had a whopping 90 hp, and was too zippy for THIS area.

So the auto reviewers are playing Speed Racer, while you and I go about our daily business. Keep that in mind with any review.