PDA

View Full Version : Tune is very close to release now!

TorkMe
11-04-2013, 05:19 PM
I have one more week of tuning the Dart DDCT trans then we will be getting the Fiat back in the shop for the final tune adjust. Found two air flow maps that needed adjustment, those two maps have allowed me to make an additional 15 to 20 WHP on the DDCT trans Dart (very similar maps inside the 500). This will put us at around 190 to 200 WHP for the Fiat when we are done.

I will have the Fiat back in my shop middle of this month, then we will apply those changes and see the results. It took much longer than expected, but trust me... the wait is going to be worth the gains!

Thanks,

John

krayzielilsmoki
11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
I believe it was mentioned in another place that the stage 2 will eliminate the CEL that people are getting with an aftermarket DP, will stage 1 also eliminate this CEL? High hopes for a "yes" on this one.

TorkMe
11-04-2013, 05:31 PM
I believe it was mentioned in another place that the stage 2 will eliminate the CEL that people are getting with an aftermarket DP, will stage 1 also eliminate this CEL? High hopes for a "yes" on this one.

We are trying to make a decision on that this week. Elimination of the CEL would have to be an option and it would have to be listed as an "off road or racing only" type of tune. When ever you put off road or racing only it typically scares customers away. If it is something that people want, it will only be listed as an option, not as a standard item with the Stage 1 tune.

Thanks,

John

TorkMe
11-04-2013, 05:33 PM

The other problem... do we know all the codes associated with installing a downpipe? I will have to get a list of potential codes as well as the ones that are being set with the downpipe. The Dart only sets a cat efficiency code, I have seen the 500 set that code as well but are there others? We should identify all the codes before we commit to saying we can or cannot eliminate them.

Thanks,

John

krayzielilsmoki
11-04-2013, 05:38 PM
This is the one that everyone gets:
P0420: Catalyst system efficiency below threshold, Bank 1 Sensor 2

Somebody tried a spacer and got rid of the P0420 but got these two instead:
P0139: 02 Sensor circuit slow response, Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0141: 02 Sensor heater circuit, Bank 1 Sensor 2

shagghie
11-04-2013, 05:42 PM
The other problem... do we know all the codes associated with installing a downpipe? I will have to get a list of potential codes as well as the ones that are being set with the downpipe. The Dart only sets a cat efficiency code, I have seen the 500 set that code as well but are there others? We should identify all the codes before we commit to saying we can or cannot eliminate them.

Thanks,

John
As long as you have control over codes, may as well wipe out the P1CEA code for good as well. That way everyone can just run $1.65 check valves and make 6 more horsepower by running your tune, all without any codes. (another value added feature you'd be able to provide over piggyback tunes)

TorkMe
11-04-2013, 05:52 PM

That is good to know, those are the same codes we get with the Dart!!!

Thank you!

TorkMe
11-04-2013, 05:54 PM
As long as you have control over codes, may as well wipe out the P1CEA code for good as well. That way everyone can just run $1.65 check valves and make 6 more horsepower by running your tune, all without any codes. (another value added feature you'd be able to provide over piggyback tunes)

Before I delete a code I need to know what it controls. What is the check valve and why do you we need it to make more power? We suffer from the P1CEA with the Dart as well but I don't know of any check valve mod that can give you additional power. If it does give additional power then we need to use that mod on the tune to make sure it doesn't effect the tune in a negative way.

krayzielilsmoki
11-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Here is more information about the check valve mod
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6720-Free-horespower&highlight=horsepower

Another link
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11829-Boomba-Racing-Check-Valve&highlight=boomba

TorkMe
11-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Here is more information about the check valve mod
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6720-Free-horespower&highlight=horsepower

Another link
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11829-Boomba-Racing-Check-Valve&highlight=boomba

I know that mod, LOL. We suffered with the same problems.

We will look into the possibility of turning off that code and testing with that line capped.

Thanks,

John

shagghie
11-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Before I delete a code I need to know what it controls. What is the check valve and why do you we need it to make more power? We suffer from the P1CEA with the Dart as well but I don't know of any check valve mod that can give you additional power. If it does give additional power then we need to use that mod on the tune to make sure it doesn't effect the tune in a negative way.

It gets rid of a pretty big boost leak. The leak occurs when the charge pipe leaks boost to the hose that connects back to the intake tract at that horrible grey-tabbed fitting.
By only allowing air to flow TOWARDS the charge pipe, it prevents boost from leaking to atmo at that fitting. IIRC, it was first posted on the Dart forums and was good for 6hp.

A $1.65 check valve ordered from Amazon and about 5 minutes of work (after you have the battery tray removed lol) is all that's required.
Many of us run a Boomba check valve for about $30 that does the same thing but doesn't throw any P1CEA codes. Seems every car is different in terms of sensitivity to the mod, but in general, the P1CEA only pops up in the first few hundred miles after the mod is done, and only when traveling on the freeway between 65-75mph under a constant throttle. After it appears once, it usually goes away forever after you cleat it out with Dash Command or similar. With the Boomba installed, I've never once again got the P1CEA, even after many full battery ECU resets. More than you wanted to know?
I believe it was Mark or Ant from ATM that originally discovered it and posted about it, and who did all the original tracing of the lines, etc.

One nice thing about it, horsepower/leak aside, is that is results in a much smoother power curve and better drive-ability all the way around, and the boost gauge needle doesn't bounce around in 'search mode' as much.

TorkMe
11-04-2013, 06:16 PM
It gets rid of a pretty big boost leak. The leak occurs when the charge pipe leaks boost to the hose that connects back to the intake tract at that horrible grey-tabbed fitting.
By only allowing air to flow TOWARDS the charge pipe, it prevents boost from leaking to atmo at that fitting. IIRC, it was first posted on the Dart forums and was good for 6hp.

A $1.65 check valve ordered from Amazon and about 5 minutes of work (after you have the battery tray removed lol) is all that's required.
Many of us run a Boomba check valve for about $30 that does the same thing but doesn't throw any P1CEA codes. Seems every car is different in terms of sensitivity to the mod, but in general, the P1CEA only pops up in the first few hundred miles after the mod is done, and only when traveling on the freeway between 65-75mph under a constant throttle. After it appears once, it usually goes away forever after you cleat it out with Dash Command or similar. With the Boomba installed, I've never once again got the P1CEA, even after many full battery ECU resets. More than you wanted to know?
I believe it was Mark or Ant from ATM that originally discovered it and posted about it, and who did all the original tracing of the lines, etc.

One nice thing about it, horsepower/leak aside, is that is results in a much smoother power curve and better drive-ability all the way around, and the boost gauge needle doesn't bounce around in 'search mode' as much.

I will look more into this and find out what we can do. I might make a tune strictly for this mod if it warrants the HP gains for making the efforts.

shagghie
11-04-2013, 06:39 PM
I will look more into this and find out what we can do. I might make a tune strictly for this mod if it warrants the HP gains for making the efforts.

Right on... I think 99% of anyone (at least on this forum) that is interested in modding their Abarths for performance have already done this mod. IIRC, the original post was over 80 pages long last I checked. I don't know of anyone that isn't running it actually now that I think about it.

The other thing to check for is Ryephile's re-route mod...accomplished the same thing (fixes the same leak), but allows for better purging on the canister.. probably a better long term solution, if not marginally more effort to perform the mod compared to the 'check valve mod'. If you search for "Free Horsepower" you'll have enough reading material for an eternity! :-)

TorkMe
11-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Right on... I think 99% of anyone (at least on this forum) that is interested in modding their Abarths for performance have already done this mod. IIRC, the original post was over 80 pages long last I checked. I don't know of anyone that isn't running it actually now that I think about it.

The other thing to check for is Ryephile's re-route mod...accomplished the same thing (fixes the same leak), but allows for better purging on the canister.. probably a better long term solution, if not marginally more effort to perform the mod compared to the 'check valve mod'. If you search for "Free Horsepower" you'll have enough reading material for an eternity! :-)

Thanks, I will be looking at the different options for increasing the output of the engine.

Abarth Five O
11-05-2013, 12:12 AM

You're welcome from my thread.

krayzielilsmoki
11-05-2013, 12:28 AM
haha Abarth Five O thank you, your thread is a great source of information.

Abarth Five O
11-05-2013, 01:16 AM
You're welcome again, glad to assist.:encouragement:

TorkMe
11-15-2013, 11:07 PM
End of this month, and we should have the Stage 1 tune finalized. Sorry it has taken so long, but it will be just in time for Christmas.

shagghie
11-15-2013, 11:12 PM
End of this month, and we should have the Stage 1 tune finalized. Sorry it has taken so long, but it will be just in time for Christmas.

What about stage two? most of us that want a bench tune are already modded out the yanger already.
can you do stage 2 first to satisfy the majority of us first and then do a detuned version for the few stock trim/CAI folks left?

TorkMe
11-15-2013, 11:24 PM
What about stage two? most of us that want a bench tune are already modded out the yanger already.
can you do stage 2 first to satisfy the majority of us first and then do a detuned version for the few stock trim/CAI folks left?

I wish it were that easy. I have access to a car that has no mods on it... I have to finalize the Stage 1 tune with a stock car, and some minor bolt on's. Then we have to build the parts for the Stage 2 tune. So more or less we have to design, test, tune and develop all the parts that you guys already have on your car. I wish I could go all the way to the front and work my way back, but the cost would be huge and the time even greater.

With that being said... Stage 1 tune will be the preferred tune due to the friendly nature of it and its not going to be abusive to the stock engine. Stage 2 tune running at 26 to 28 psi all the time is going to terrorize your engine and you will need a clutch upgrade in order to run the Stage 2 tune (already have slipping clutches running aggressive Stage 1 tunes on the Dart). Its going to be hard to sell a tune with a clutch considering no one has an upgraded clutch for the car yet (we are working on one and should have it before years end).

I want to give you guys everything you ask for... trust me. I just don't want to be that company that sells a tune that requires additional parts in order to run their tune. Sure, posting that our tune wrecks the stock clutch would be awesome (means we are making power), but now what?

Little steps = little failures. The more failures we have the greater our success. The greater our success, the better parts availability you will get from us! Stage 1 tune first... Full bolt on's built by us, upgraded clutch for the shop car, Stage 2 and everyone will be happy.

Thanks,

John

n00dle
11-16-2013, 04:30 AM
I think there' a clutch upgrade for the Abarth available now

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?8305-EUROCOMPULSION-R3T-Clutch-Kit

TorkMe
11-16-2013, 06:51 AM
I think there' a clutch upgrade for the Abarth available now

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?8305-EUROCOMPULSION-R3T-Clutch-Kit

Very cool... but ours is going to be much more affordable! We will also have an option for full face or puck design clutch!

Abnormalradio13
11-19-2013, 02:19 PM
full race for me but that'll be down the line lol. anyway, what's the ETA for the tune and also are you guys going to do a sale like you did with the darts?

TorkMe
11-19-2013, 03:31 PM
full race for me but that'll be down the line lol. anyway, what's the ETA for the tune and also are you guys going to do a sale like you did with the darts?

We are kicking around the idea of doing a Group Buy with the ECU at the initial release.

ETA is end of this month if everything goes smooth. We have a few additional tables we need to check out and see if there is anything more to be gained. If so, we should have a new WHP record in the making!

Yorkman1
11-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Yay more power to play with. :)

TorkMe
11-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Yay more power to play with. :)

Yes.. if I can get the Fiat to spin the tires in 2nd gear to redline, I have done my job!

DS Ocampo
11-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Read about issues with the DP ... I don't have any issues with exhaust and 5k rpm... Can't wait for this stage 1 tune... I'm ready to go now and see where all these MODs get me... Then wait for stage 2 with big turbo upgrade ( cuz this makes a smart choice for the car ) ..

Looking at a new clutch already with the MODs I have I can feel it giving up a little hear and there under hard pulls, but damn does it move ( if the tires grip in first, second, and start of third) .. Fiat of Avondale and Scottsdale use it to promote what can be done to these cars lol... The poster child of AZ lol..

TorkMe
11-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Read about issues with the DP ... I don't have any issues with exhaust and 5k rpm... Can't wait for this stage 1 tune... I'm ready to go now and see where all these MODs get me... Then wait for stage 2 with big turbo upgrade ( cuz this makes a smart choice for the car ) ..

Looking at a new clutch already with the MODs I have I can feel it giving up a little hear and there under hard pulls, but damn does it move ( if the tires grip in first, second, and start of third) .. Fiat of Avondale and Scottsdale use it to promote what can be done to these cars lol... The poster child of AZ lol..

That is what we like to hear!

DS Ocampo
11-26-2013, 08:16 PM
If I overnight my ECU to you, you input the tune ,

Do I have to pay for the overnight back?? Or will all this be the final price?? $50.00 bucks still right ???? Lol

TorkMe
11-26-2013, 09:20 PM
If I overnight my ECU to you, you input the tune ,

Do I have to pay for the overnight back?? Or will all this be the final price?? $50.00 bucks still right ???? Lol

Yes, there will be an option on the website for overnight shipping back to the customer. It works out to be $40 to $50 depending on where in the nation we are shipping.

11-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Yes, there will be an option on the website for overnight shipping back to the customer. It works out to be $40 to $50 depending on where in the nation we are shipping.

Which nation ??? :)

Dont forget those north of the 49th!!!

DS Ocampo
11-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Military discount ;) lol

TorkMe
11-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Which nation ??? :)

Dont forget those north of the 49th!!!

Sorry, the US. We work out the details or those in Canada, Alaska and Hawaii on separate shipping prices. Anywhere else in the world has to be quoted a shipping price.

TorkMe
11-27-2013, 12:40 AM
Military discount ;) lol

When its on sale?

We might run another sale around the first of April. At the release I am sure it will be listed at a sale price?

DS Ocampo
11-27-2013, 12:55 AM
FLO gave me an instant discount .... Hahaha

Good stuff man can't wait

Is it done yet?

Now?

Happy holidays btw..

TorkMe
11-27-2013, 06:31 PM
FLO gave me an instant discount .... Hahaha

Good stuff man can't wait

Is it done yet?

Now?

Happy holidays btw..

Super close to having it finished up. Still looking for the fuel enrichment dump for cat protection. When I find this, I can install the downpipe and start turning up the boost!

shagghie
11-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Super close to having it finished up. Still looking for the fuel enrichment dump for cat protection. When I find this, I can install the downpipe and start turning up the boost!

wait doesn't the WOT fuel enrichment dump end up cooking the cat sooner, rather than later? Are you saying you are installing a downpipe and giving us fast and furious WOT fireballs? Because I hope that is what you are saying. :-)

TorkMe
11-27-2013, 10:56 PM
wait doesn't the WOT fuel enrichment dump end up cooking the cat sooner, rather than later? Are you saying you are installing a downpipe and giving us fast and furious WOT fireballs? Because I hope that is what you are saying. :-)

No, it uses the fuel to cool the cat and keeps the temps down. Oh hell no... we will be tuning the cat enrichment out of the tune with cars that are running an offroad downpipe (non catted). You really want those fireballs don't you!

shagghie
11-28-2013, 01:12 AM
No, it uses the fuel to cool the cat and keeps the temps down. Oh hell no... we will be tuning the cat enrichment out of the tune with cars that are running an offroad downpipe (non catted). You really want those fireballs don't you!

Darn. Was just hoping for a little extra squirt at top of 2nd and 3rd WOT shifts at 6.3k and above only.

TorkMe
11-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Darn. Was just hoping for a little extra squirt at top of 2nd and 3rd WOT shifts at 6.3k and above only.

We will get it addressed and get the fueling figured out. When we have that under control, we will have a solid tune that allows you to pull through the gears all the way to 140 + MPH.

Abarth Phreak
11-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Allows you to pull through the gears all the way to 140 + MPH.

I may have missed it somewhere, are there any speed governors in place that are being removed also?

TorkMe
11-30-2013, 02:25 AM
I may have missed it somewhere, are there any speed governors in place that are being removed also?

Yes, we can run the car all the way out in 5th gear. Top speed so far has been 162 MPH on the dyno with the redline set at 6950 RPM.

blackabarth13
12-06-2013, 10:01 PM
You have set a release date of 12/15 and being close to Christmas could you possible give some estimated prices?

Tweak
12-06-2013, 10:29 PM
You have set a release date of 12/15 and being close to Christmas could you possible give some estimated prices?

He mentioned pricing plans (may change) here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?12437-Tune-Release-Date