PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500e Envy

Chobop
11-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Am I the only one who is jealous of those in California who can purchase or lease the 500e? gr_grin I've been watching for it since its announcement a year ago, and have ranged from happy "yaay what a cool car!" to patient "oh fall 2013? I can wait!" to eventually "oh... I can't buy because I'm in the wrong state..." disappointment.

On the other hand, I'm hoping that all of the returned cars from leases will trickle up north evil_laughter

For those who have a 500e, do you have battery anxiety? I read the PDF owners manual where it stated that the battery is expected to decay at 3% per month, which over the life of the car can be a rather drastic drop in efficiency.

(And apparently I can't spell "envy" correctly.)

ReconTopher
11-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Do you or someone else have a link or can upload where it says the battery decays at 3 percent a month? I find that hard to believe, it just doesn't sound right.

MikeThinks
11-02-2013, 09:41 PM
There is no way it decays 3% a month....that would reduce its effective range to less than HALF after 2 years. If its 3%...its per year

ReconTopher
11-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Yeah I just did a good bit of searching and I can't find anything. That'd be a ludicrous loss percentage that writers would be jumping all over. I wonder what percentage of battery would have to be lost to use Fiat's 8 year warranty on it.

rcboosted
11-03-2013, 02:09 AM
I think the 3% percent per month is referring to how much charge you'll lose if you park it without charging it?. If you actually lose 3% of "capacity", the battery is completely dead after 33.3 months. Which is impossible due the fact they warranty it for 8 years. Besides, batteries are considered end of life if it loses 20% of it's capacity.

nathan_h
11-03-2013, 11:35 AM
i think the 3% percent per month is referring to how much charge you'll lose if you park it without charging it?. If you actually lose 3% of "capacity", the battery is completely dead after 33.3 months. Which is impossible due the fact they warranty it for 8 years. Besides, batteries are considered end of life if it loses 20% of it's capacity.

bingo.

Chobop
11-03-2013, 07:59 PM
The 500e owners manual is publicly available from the manual site...

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

Page 15 of the Owner's Manual PDF:

Lithium-ion batteries hold their charge; they only lose approximately three percent of their charge per month.

rnddude
11-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Well, anyone can come here and buy one, and then take it home, but you would miss out on the $2500 Ca. rebate. No battery anxiety due to the 8 year warranty.

clarkb6
11-12-2013, 12:53 AM
3% loss monthly refers to the static drop in battery charge if NOT connected to a charging unit. Example- Charged to 100% on Nov. 1st 2013, unplug charger, leave parked in garage. Dec. 1st, 2013 battery will be at 97% capacity, Jan 1st- 94%..... You get the idea. The batteries decay rate I'm sure is extremely low. My Prius is 8 years old, has the original battery (NiMH- much worse than a lithium) and is in great shape. I suspect these batteries will last 10 years easy.

No range anxiety here. I'm regularly averaging 150+ mpge per trip. Commune is 52 miles round trip and I always have 50-53% charge left when I get home.

Simply love the car. I've owned a lot of cars (M5, track cars, lexus IS350, list goes on and on) and really love this little car. It's fantastic so far!

Tweak
11-13-2013, 12:35 AM
3% loss monthly refers to the static drop in battery charge if NOT connected to a charging unit. Example- Charged to 100% on Nov. 1st 2013, unplug charger, leave parked in garage. Dec. 1st, 2013 battery will be at 97% capacity, Jan 1st- 94%..... You get the idea. The batteries decay rate I'm sure is extremely low. My Prius is 8 years old, has the original battery (NiMH- much worse than a lithium) and is in great shape. I suspect these batteries will last 10 years easy.

No range anxiety here. I'm regularly averaging 150+ mpge per trip. Commune is 52 miles round trip and I always have 50-53% charge left when I get home.

Simply love the car. I've owned a lot of cars (M5, track cars, lexus IS350, list goes on and on) and really love this little car. It's fantastic so far!

Welcome to the forum.

ScorpionSkins.com
11-13-2013, 12:54 AM
I'd have to say I'm quite disappointed these aren't available in Canada. :)

Chobop
11-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Well, anyone can come here and buy one, and then take it home, but you would miss out on the $2500 Ca. rebate. No battery anxiety due to the 8 year warranty.

That is true; we only get a tax credit for installing a charging station (max $750) in OR. I don't believe our local Fiat "studios" would have the infrastructure to repair a 500e if I had problems with it. So I must continue to wait, I guess.

Eletruk
11-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Well, in case you missed it, ebay had an auction for 10 of these babies. They were sold as used, so no Federal rebate, and no CA rebate. They still had to be sold to CA resident, but I have relatives in CA, so I was able to get the "Clint Eastwood" signature model for $20K. I'm totally happy with it, and I am now the first 500e in Washington state (possibly anywhere outside of CA).
The first car was a Hugh Jackman signature model and was auctioned in a star studded gala and went for $50K, however the others went for between $18K and $23K.
http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=mptvfund If you want the details of the auction.

Zapped
12-07-2013, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=ScorpionSkins.com;638755]I'd have to say I'm quite disappointed these aren't available in Canada. :)[/QUOTE

Will Canada allow the import of a used 500e ?
Service would be a issue in any case.

ScorpionSkins.com
12-07-2013, 06:31 PM

We use to import/export vehicles in the 90's and the Canadian government has a ton of red tape to deal with in regards to importing vehicles from outside the country, including the U.S.

This is what's currently stated on the Canadian Government website in regards to the importation of Fiats from the U.S.:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/FIAT.htm

...and an additional page detailing more information on importation as well as contact information for inquiries:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-usa-index-445.htm

You might consider giving them a call, assuming you're personally interested.

Tweak
12-08-2013, 01:20 AM
[QUOTE=ScorpionSkins.com;638755]I'd have to say I'm quite disappointed these aren't available in Canada. :)[/QUOTE

Welcome to the forum.

Zapped
12-08-2013, 05:28 AM
Tweak , are you moderator for the fiat500owners forum also ?
If so why 2 forums ? Not sure which one to belong to.

rnddude
12-08-2013, 12:31 PM
I think many here visit both daily. Blue or Red....I also wish they could combine into one.

Tweak
12-09-2013, 01:05 AM
Tweak , are you moderator for the fiat500owners forum also ?
If so why 2 forums ? Not sure which one to belong to.

I am on both, after about 3 months on the other forum I was asked to be a part of the staff and a little while back I had the opportunity to try to help Chris here and took it. I tend to have a pretty good amount of free time and I really enjoy trying to be helpful whenever possible, I enjoy both forums a great deal but for different reasons. :cool:

Not sure I fully understand the last of your statement, as rnddude said many are members on both.

Zapped
12-09-2013, 09:45 PM
I was wondering whether each site was tailored to specific member needs.
From what I have seen it doesn't appear that way.
It seems it would be redundant to ask the same question on both sites but I suppose one would get a broader spectrum of responses.

ScorpionSkins.com
12-09-2013, 09:52 PM
I was wondering whether each site was tailored to specific member needs.
From what I have seen it doesn't appear that way.
I seems it would be redundant to ask the same question on both sites but I suppose one would get a broader spectrum of responses.

That's what most of us do.

I find the red forums focus much more on the older Fiat 500s, Pop, Lounge, and Sports models. It's more about casual ownership discussions/nostalgia and a few "issues" threads.

These forums have much more thorough technical/aftermarket performance discussions, but are heavily saturated with vendor arguments and petty fighting.

Oh well, sometimes you have to put up with the good and the bad... :black_eyed:

Zapped
12-09-2013, 10:02 PM
There seems to be a lot of advertizing on the "red" forum intermingled with the posts.
Does that go away when you register ?

Tweak
12-10-2013, 12:45 AM
That's what most of us do.

I find the red forums focus much more on the older Fiat 500s, Pop, Lounge, and Sports models. It's more about casual ownership discussions/nostalgia and a few "issues" threads.

These forums have much more thorough technical/aftermarket performance discussions, but are heavily saturated with vendor arguments and petty fighting.

Oh well, sometimes you have to put up with the good and the bad... :black_eyed:

Well said, this is what I meant about enjoying each for different reasons, that one feels like a hangout and this one feels like a more technical place.

There seems to be a lot of advertizing on the "red" forum intermingled with the posts.
Does that go away when you register ?

Are you speaking of posts from vendors or actual ads placed on the forum, banners and such? AutoGuide owns the red forum so they will be a lot more ad oriented but I think there is less ads for those that chose one of the paid memberships but in registering (free) I think they remain. The Admin there is or was supposed to detail the benefits of a paid membership but I don't think that's happened yet and sadly they've never told me specifics.

Eletruk
12-30-2013, 09:31 PM
The 500e section is just a filtered list on the Fiat 500 forum, so there will be some trickle through.