PDA

View Full Version : Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires-User Feedback?

modular
11-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Thinking about getting a set of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS in a 205/45-16 size installed on the A as I need an all weather tire where I live. Seems to have very good reviews on Tire Rack. Anyone here ever used these before?

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/scottozanne/misc1/DWS1_zps2152d115.jpg

Crossfirecat
11-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I haven't used them on my Abarth but, I've had them on both my SRT6 and my wifes' SRT8 and can tell you they are one of the best all seasons I've ever owned. They do have a softer sidewall than I'd like. It's makes steering response a little numb till you get used to them. You'll give up some dry traction but that's a given with any all season tire. Thats not to say they don't grip like hell still! 70mph on corkscrew on-ramps and never felt like they were going to let go! You'd only notice the reduction of dry grip if you were pushing them to their limits vs a set of dedicated summer tires IMHO.
Wet traction is great and they gave a very quiet, comfortable ride on both our cars. Drove my 6 home, 60 miles in 5+ inches of snow and had no trouble at all, Bearing in mind I wasn't try to beat my fastest time to get home. Overall, smooth quiet ride, Very good balance of dry,wet and snow traction. Good, even tread wear. Soft sidewall was my only dislike.
I wish they offered a 205 or 215/40/17. I may pick up a set of cheap 16" wheels and toss some DWS's on them for my own Abarth.

DesmosDromos
11-02-2013, 04:43 PM
I had 'em on my R32 and my wife has the on her Passat. Amazing in the snow! Get loud as they wear. Great in rain. OK in the dry. Good tire if you need a 4 season compromise.

sk8ace
11-03-2013, 05:07 PM
I have them on my saturn. So far so good! They can be a bit squeaky but perform well.

Oh, Word?
11-03-2013, 05:59 PM
My friend is on I think his third set with his 350+ hp wrx wagon and loves them. Only complaint he's had is if your alignment isn't 100% they wear out extremely quick. We put coils in it on a Saturday and we couldn't get it on the rack at his work until the following Saturday and by that time the front toe which wasn't even terribly off had smoked his front tires to the chords. Maybe 200 miles.

msjulie33
11-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Had them on my MINI when it lived in the snowy east coast, about 1/2 the year (other half was real snow tires). Now basically same tire but summer only since being in Ca. Had very good luck with them

jguerdat
11-04-2013, 08:39 AM
My friend is on I think his third set with his 350+ hp wrx wagon and loves them. Only complaint he's had is if your alignment isn't 100% they wear out extremely quick. We put coils in it on a Saturday and we couldn't get it on the rack at his work until the following Saturday and by that time the front toe which wasn't even terribly off had smoked his front tires to the chords. Maybe 200 miles.

Something else is wrong or the tires were well-worn in the first place. I've worn the insides due to toe in a thousand or so miles but 200 is extreme for any tire.

Oh, Word?
11-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Something else is wrong or the tires were well-worn in the first place. I've worn the insides due to toe in a thousand or so miles but 200 is extreme for any tire.

They were probably at around 50-60%. It was probably a combo of camber and tow being off in combination with awd and higher hp as he drives the hell out of the car. The toe/camber combo is pretty insane on tires a few of my friends are heavy into drifting and they run a lot of rear toe and around -4 camber and tires they could get a couple sessions out of are lasting a day or two tops. I guess the toe helps with car control, can't say for sure as drifting has never been my thing. I can say one of them took their drift car from Mass to Maryland for a show and he didn't hardly drift while we were down there and after the 1100 mile round trip his brand new tires were on chords haha.

MAZ
11-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Most Conti's are great and the DWS isn't an exception.
Had them on my Audi S4. Excellent in wet and snow, pretty good on dry. They were a tad noisy, not terrible.
Recommended.