PDA

View Full Version : Abarth pulls hard right under braking

SHIFT-TECH
10-31-2013, 10:02 AM
So bought a brand new Abarth, noticed that it pulls hard to the right under hard braking and almost changes lanes, no matter what road you are on. ( hard braking without ABS kicking in, so no crazy slam on the brake thing...)

Had the first oil change done at Fiat of North Miami. Not only is the Service Department 4 miles away from the dealer ship in an old crappy looking warehouse with only 1 mechanic working there but they also don't mention the different location when you call for an appointment.
So told them about the issue and their response after a short test drive through a side street was " That's normal, it's the crown in the road". I clearly told them " under hard braking at +50mph" I can't even believe what I was told, I was so pissed I just said good bye. Last new car I bought was in 2001, a 996 Turbo and just shows me again how useless the dealers service departments are.

I will get the issue fixed myself. Alignment is fine, I suspect there is air in the left front brake.

Anybody else ran into this problem?

AudiGuy
10-31-2013, 10:06 AM
A look at the pads and rotors might give you an idea of whats going on. How many miles on the car?

SHIFT-TECH
10-31-2013, 06:43 PM
4000 mls, it was the first oil change.
Pads & rotors look fine all around.

Tweak
10-31-2013, 09:07 PM
I can't say it is common to pull to one direction but the car can be a little hard to handle under hard breaking, modifying my suspension helped more than I can explain.

I am lowered on Bilstein coil overs with a RRM rear torsion bar and RRM front braces. You can pick whatever brand and seller and do the same and I would think it would help a great deal although it should be checked to make sure there is no problems of course before you go the mod route.

streetsurfer
10-31-2013, 09:16 PM
See if your tire pressures are balanced side to side and that they are not overinflated. When mine was delivered it had 44 psi which did make it pull according to the crown and rutting during braking. This is a trait with wider tires as well. Our Lightning was noticeably pulling in traffic ruts, crowns, as well. A hanging caliper or an anti vibrate shim (if used here) that has become displaced can also cause this.

MontyC777
08-18-2015, 10:48 AM
I have a 2014 with 6000 miles and have the same problem. Fiat cleaned the pads and bled the system without any change. Any ideas? I'm thinking master cylinder is defective?

mp4guy
08-18-2015, 11:50 AM
The rear bar is DEFINITELY recommended as many people noticed instability at speed under hard braking. However, this was generally felt in the REAR getting a bit squirrely.

You may want to thoroughly check the tires for damage. Sometimes, sidewall damage or belt separation can cause this. It happened to me once, oddly enough, on my Fiat 124 Sport Spider. We didn't find the problem under we removed the tire and saw the damage inside.

I wonder whatever happened to Michelin Xas's?