PDA

View Full Version : Looking for numbers and first mod advice

AudiGuy
10-31-2013, 09:49 AM
Hey guys. So it looks like Im going to be getting the Abarth Ive been looking at. Its white and is loaded with all the options. So Im trying to plan my attack a little. Im trying to figure out what the first mod should be. Ive been trying to find HP numbers of the bolt ons offered. For instance, what kind of gains should I get from a down pipe? And the same question with the exhaust. I know its very well designed to reduce restriction, but is it worth just doing the entire system DP and all? Or should I just get a tune and WOT box first? With an filter? Also, what size is the MAF and filter inlet? I might be able to use my brand new dry-flow.

FTY
10-31-2013, 11:42 AM
My suggestion....piggyback box(blackbox)/intake/exhaust,(in order of biggest gains) then go for suspension then brakes.

No MAF, no pancake valves (thank god), no super complex vacuum system....these cars are totally different beasts from VAG. Turbo inlet is 2".

AudiGuy
10-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Ok, cool. What kind of gains from just an intake? Its funny that the exhaust isnt more of a priority. But I guess thats what happens when Abarth designs your exhaust.

FTY
10-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Ok, cool. What kind of gains from just an intake? Its funny that the exhaust isnt more of a priority. But I guess thats what happens when Abarth designs your exhaust.

Intake gains are on avg 10hp....depending on which one you get....DP helps and there are a few good exhaust options out there.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-31-2013, 12:08 PM
I'd actually recommend starting off with something small initially, such as a short shifter. I haven't test driven the product myself yet (NEU-F short shift adapter), but I have ordered one and it seems like everyone who has purchased one has had only the best things to say so far. It shortens the throw and tightens up the shifter feel without compromising shifter height.

Most other mods either dramatically change the feel of the vehicle, and some may even cause you CEL issues. I'd suggest keeping the vehicle in a semi-stock form for at least a little while as it's a joy to drive as it is!

AudiGuy
10-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Lol, not sure if I can help myself. I might just do the tune and intake for right now. How difficult is the short shifter install? In the TT it was a major ordeal.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Lol, not sure if I can help myself. I might just do the tune and intake for right now. How difficult is the short shifter install? In the TT it was a major ordeal.

Pretty simple, if you have the patience to spare it's not too challenging. Here's a video install/review from another forum member to give you an idea of what's involved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hpSZVi0vaY

It's probably the least involved of the short shifter kits. Other companies have produced full assemblies which are also well spoken of, but they naturally require some more time and effort to properly install.

AudiGuy
10-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Haha, easy is right!! I had to drop my exhaust and drive shaft to get to it in the TT. And it needs to be removed from underneath.

FTY
10-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Installation of stuff for this car is pretty straight forward for the most part. Drive the car for a bit like scorpionskins suggested get familiar with it and pinpoint what you'd like to change.

AudiGuy
10-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Installation of stuff for this car is pretty straight forward for the most part. Drive the car for a bit like scorpionskins suggested get familiar with it and pinpoint what you'd like to change.

Thats the plan. Im just trying to not set myself up for disappointment. Im used to a good amount of power.

shadyabarth
10-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Welcome AudiGuy to the community and forum..I would suggest the following:

1)Neu-F rear torsion bar..For about $140 or less it will totally transform the handling of a stock Abarth for the better
2)Intake-plenty out there to choose from
3)Neu-F short shifter-For less than $120 it will make the shifting action feel 100 times better
4)Forge BOV adapter-For around 100 or less it will let the car sound the way it should have in between shifts
5)Turbo Blanket-Keep the underhood temps under control
6)Coilovers or springs with Koni rear shocks-Get rid of that ugly rear end gap..

I would also like to add that Chris@Eurocompulsion is who I buy almost all my parts from and would highly recommend him. The only parts that I have not bought from him are parts that he does not carry. A true professional in every way..Happy modding!!

AudiGuy
10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks man. Ill check it out.