PDA

View Full Version : XM cutting out at traffic lights

scap
10-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Wondering if I am the only one. This is the first car I own with XM. I am in a suburb of Denver outside of the city with no high rises in the way and about 10 miles from the foothills. My XM cuts out at pretty much every traffic light I pass under or stop at. I have friends who have XM and do not have this problem in non-Fiat vehicles. It is bad enough that I would never even consider subscribing.

I was expecting some line of sight issues with underpasses or in between tall buildings or in canyons but this happens in open areas where there are no obstructions.

Looks to me that our radios have very small or no buffer at all.

Anyone else got this problem?

Trystane
10-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Good to see another Fiat owner in this neck of the woods! The only time I've noticed it is when I pull into a covered gas station but that's to be expected I would think. I've made quite a few trips down to south Denver/Inverness and I can't say I've ever noticed the problem. I've also driven around Wheatridge a bit and haven't had any concern. What part of Denver are you looking at and I'll see if I can replicate it. It honestly could just be EM interference from something nearby that's blanketing the signal.

scap
10-30-2013, 01:26 PM
I am up in Arvada and drive often between Arvada and Broomfield. Happens on all the Sheridan lights (92nd/Sheridan) all along Ward Road (Ward and Ralston) and on Wadsworth. Repeatable as well, it cuts out in the same spots all the time. My daughter has started to make a game out of it where she continues singing the song to see if she meets up with the beat when it comes back on :-)

Curious
10-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Happens to me all the time, very irritating. I am in Charleston,SC and in certain areas it does cut out, zero sound. There is one stop light down town where it cuts in and out. I park at a parking garage at work and it cuts out the second I enter the garage.

I went on a road trip to the mountains of North Carolina the first week I got it and the system would loose a signal sooooooo many times, not just on the Blue Ridge Parkway but in cities and highways.

Trystane
10-30-2013, 05:35 PM
You may just be dealing with strong EMI or that light fixture/something around it is in just the perfect spot to block it. There's one spot up here in Cheyenne where it cuts out and it makes zero sense. Plenty of sky to the south (tip: If you want to see what's blocking your satellite signal - XM/Dish/DirectTV/etc; just look at the southern sky. That's where most (all?) CONUS orbits are). The only thing I can pass it off to is some really weird EMI in that area.

RustyPaint
10-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Taking a guess here. According to wikipedia Sirius is 2.31 to 2.36 GHz, a lot of security video is done at 2.4 and 5.8. WiFi is 2.4 as well. So maybe one of those at the intersection has a bit too much splatter and overpowering the satellite reception.

Andree
10-31-2013, 03:16 AM
You're not the only one. I did a Google search for XM cutting out, and there are pages of results. People have had problems for years. I haven't had problems other than the predictable cutting out as soon as I enter a parking garage.

Andree
11-08-2013, 03:04 PM
I just got off the phone with Sirius XM to add service to my trial period. The helpful person at the other end also gave me a "Refresh" phone number to call, in case I have problems with the signal. I then asked many questions, thinking about this thread and signals that cut out, asking her if she thought a Refresh would help for everyone having problems. She thought it would. She said it was fine to post the number on the forum too.

So, if you ARE having problems with the signal, call their Refresh phone number at 1-855-697-3373. You will need your radio ID number and your account number. They should both be available on the Sirius XM site, via this page: https://care.siriusxm.com/login_view.action

It has a big green area for Trial Subscriptions and it's already created an account for everyone. You enter your name, zip code, phone number, and Radio ID or VIN. Everyone should be able to find their VIN, it's ON THE CAR. LOL.

So you can easily track down the info you'll need to call the Refresh Signal phone number, and see if that helps with the signal cutting out.

Hope this helps.

Trystane
11-09-2013, 04:31 PM
You can also use this page to refresh without calling support - https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefresh_view.action

I know it says activation but it works for refreshing too.

scap
11-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I have refreshed mine a few times already and there was never any changes to the signal problem.

chibri
12-22-2017, 08:07 PM
So has anyone from Fiat or Mopar chimed in here? I bought a 2016 500x and have the cutout problem ALL THE TIME. I was chatting with a friend who drives a Volvo, and he said he never had a problem.

I just talked with SiriusXM technical support, they said dealer should check the satellite module connection.

Luigi&Me
12-27-2017, 01:13 AM
I'm in Houston and sometimes a tall pole will cut out service. My prior vehicle had XM and only cut out in underpasses, etc. It's frustrating, but beats the snot out of local radio. I used to live in Denver and miss it.