PDA

View Full Version : Abarth Says "No" to Standalone Sports Car, Range Expansion

Blade Runner
10-30-2013, 01:15 AM
Here is an new article on the Abarth product portfolio. As I have been saying; Abarths are a limited production vehicles that you should enjoy. If you are in the market to purchase one you should not wait.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/abarth-says-no-to-standalone-sports-car-range-expansion-69908.html

ScorpionSkins.com
10-30-2013, 01:25 AM
I just hope it's not a "forgotten" brand. They teased us with the Venom, and we've seen little support for our vehicles since. Perhaps their pond here in North America isn't as large enough to fish as the one overseas, but I'd be very disappointed if 5-10 years from now nothing has changed.

I'd like to see a wide selection of MOPAR branded modifications and products, performance upgrade kits, and special editions. If Fiat doesn't deliver, they will have dropped the ball and will have no one else to hold accountable for the results.

FTY
10-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Foolish mistake if they push the Abarth branding aside....I will purchase another 500 Abarth, when the facelift comes that is without question.

BigDaddySRT
10-30-2013, 09:00 AM
I just hope it's not a "forgotten" brand. They teased us with the Venom, and we've seen little support for our vehicles since. Perhaps their pond here in North America isn't as large enough to fish as the one overseas, but I'd be very disappointed if 5-10 years from now nothing has changed.

I'd like to see a wide selection of MOPAR branded modifications and products, performance upgrade kits, and special editions. If Fiat doesn't deliver, they will have dropped the ball and will have no one else to hold accountable for the results.

Unfortunately you are probably never going to see MOPAR release "Performance Upgrade Kits" for the ABARTH.
You should just count your lucky stars we even got the ABARTH in North America, and the ABARTH we got is the top performing ABARTH 500.

So what FIAT/ Chrysler isn't offering aftermarket parts for the ABARTH... there's lots of aftermarket offerings.
Just don't go running to FIAT/ Chrysler when you blow your ABARTH up.

BigDaddySRT
10-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Foolish mistake if they push the Abarth branding aside....I will purchase another 500 Abarth, when the facelift comes that is without question.

What "facelift"?

When the FIAT 500 goes back to Poland they are simply going to be building the North American/ Toluca FIAT 500 for world consumption.

FTY
10-30-2013, 09:15 AM
What "facelift"?

When the FIAT 500 goes back to Poland they are simply going to be building the North American/ Toluca FIAT 500 for world consumption.

http://www.inautonews.com/fiat-has-big-plans-for-500-in-the-u-s#.UnEGQObD-9I

Fiat500USA
10-30-2013, 10:50 AM
The economy is shot in Europe and Fiat held back investing and now they've been caught flat-footed with no new products. They're finally pumping $$$ into new cars but have to be cautious. There isn't a surplus of cash to spread on any of the toys that we enthusiasts would love to see. Hopefully, that will change, but right now they have to concentrate on cars they'll make a profit on.

Once a Punto replacement comes along, expect to see that get the Abarth treatment. Same with the new 500. The Fiat executives I talked with told me how much they would have loved to bring the Punto here, but the cost was prohibitive and the car was near the end of its life cycle, so it wouldn't have made sense. I expect that to change once the new Punto is available.

The Venom concept was to highlight what was possible to do with an Abarth and showcase Marelli products. Like everything else, it seems to take a loooong time for them to get it together, but it isn't that simple for them to bring over a box of parts and start selling them. Each part has to make a good business case on its own to sell. The problem is Marelli is a OEM and their stuff is expensive. There is a concern about how many people will buy a $1,000 + piece of carbon fiber for a car that costs $20,000. That, plus the corporate bureaucracy and you can see why we are still waiting. Frustrating.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-30-2013, 10:52 AM
there's lots of aftermarket offerings.
Just don't go running to FIAT/ Chrysler when you blow your ABARTH up.

That's the biggest concern here. No offense to the many aftermarket vendors out there, but I'd rather rely on the in-house option (if available) the majority of the time. The Venom was mostly frill components that can easily be substituted with aftermarket parts, with exception of the Magneti Marelli/Mopar piggyback unit and (presumably) airbag friendly Sabelt seats.

Although I can imagine these two items being the ones most unlikely to be seen, considering the potential safety concerns and legal implications. They way I see it, if Mini can pull it off with their John Cooper Works kits and upgrades, why can't Fiat? Obvious market share differences aside, it's not outside the realm of feasibility.

Frustrating.

Most definitely!

Fiat500USA
10-30-2013, 11:02 AM
When I was shown the Sabelt seats, I asked them about the airbags, they said it wasn't necessary. They were more concerned about the price.

whatebahw
10-30-2013, 11:23 AM
http://www.inautonews.com/fiat-has-big-plans-for-500-in-the-u-s#.UnEGQObD-9I

I thought that "facelift" was merely the European adoption of the changes already put in place to the North American cars. Since All 500s will come out of the same factory it wouldn't make sense to make the Euro and the NA differently.

Fiat500USA
10-30-2013, 12:22 PM
I thought that "facelift" was merely the European adoption of the changes already put in place to the North American cars. Since All 500s will come out of the same factory it wouldn't make sense to make the Euro and the NA differently.

That's possible, but I would be disapointed. I expect to see some changes to keep the car fresh. Don't be surprised if some of the ideas posted here (Fiat 500 - Version 2.0 (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5041-Fiat-500-Version-2-0)) find their way into production...

DIVSAbarth500
10-31-2013, 12:03 AM
We have to also look at this from the business side of the equation, not just the enthusiast side. Currently, Fiat is burning through cash for numerous reasons (bad European market, losing market share, weak brands, etc.). CEO Marchionne is in negotiations with the UAW trust to purchase the rest of Chrysler, which is in the black and sitting on $12 billion in cash that Fiat desperately needs to obtain and invest in new products. An interesting position considering he is also CEO of Chrysler (meaning he has a fiduciary duty to both companies shareholders; pay as little for Chrysler as possible on the Fiat side while obtaining as much as possible from Fiat on the Chrysler side). However, due to both parties being about $1 billion apart on the value of the UAW stake, Chrysler has filed for an IPO to put a market value on the company. It looks like the IPO wouldn't happen until 2014, which gives both sides plenty of time to negotiate and agree on price.

However, I would say that our desire for more Fiat/Abarth models as well as Alfa returning to the U.S. hinges on the outcome of Fiat/UAW negotiations. If Fiat is unable to acquire Chrysler from the retiree trust, the Fiat brand in America may very well remain a niche product.

Blade Runner
10-31-2013, 09:37 PM
FIAT will never "FORGET" the Abarth Brand. By limiting the quantities of vehicles the Abarth brand will become more exclusive. Car Values will go up not down. All of those dealer who sell on ebay will wish that they did not sell there car on Ebay....