PDA

View Full Version : Creaking noise, right rear

JoeB
10-29-2013, 04:53 AM
My Abarth Cabrio is twisting and creaking when turning left into my driveway. Should I consider this a common malady for a ragtop which doesn't have the metal roof to tie the unibody together? I've heard of the hardtop having a creak at the B-pillar, but this is further back.

Robert Nixon
10-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Especially if there is a bit of a bump into the driveway that's probably just the body flexing like you said. My wife's Camry with a sun roof does the same thing and I notice it every time on our dumb street with the big curbs on the driveways.

JoeB
11-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Hmm, it's getting worse. Now I'm getting the squeak in a straight line on bumpy roads. To the dealer she goes.

ReconTopher
11-02-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm interested in what the dealer says as my Cabrio does all the squeaks and squiggles too. I'm coming up on my first service, so I plan on bringing it up then, along with the wavy A-pillars and rubber falling off in the trunk area.

JoeB
11-02-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm interested in what the dealer says as my Cabrio does all the squeaks and squiggles too. I'm coming up on my first service, so I plan on bringing it up then, along with the wavy A-pillars and rubber falling off in the trunk area.

Oh yeah, I have the 'rubber falling off' thing, too.

sptcoupe
04-08-2014, 02:16 PM
My Abarth Cabrio is twisting and creaking when turning left into my driveway. Should I consider this a common malady for a ragtop which doesn't have the metal roof to tie the unibody together? I've heard of the hardtop having a creak at the B-pillar, but this is further back.

Hmmm. I have had this problem from day one with my 2102 ABARTH - but is a hard top with NO sunroof! It only happens when the chassis is torqued going into a driveway with a normal cub bump.

streetsurfer
04-08-2014, 02:26 PM
I would give all weatherstripping a silicone treatment before getting too concerned, especially after a long hard winter. That will often quell body flex/door-hatch fitment noises. They are basically floating in their openings on their weatherstripping, only anchored by the two hinges and the latches. They need to be able to shift a little during flex, and treated seals allow that to take place quietly. I can't help with the top, but it too may have points that simply need a quick lube or seal treatment.

TimAllen
05-30-2014, 01:01 PM
I would give all weatherstripping a silicone treatment before getting too concerned, especially after a long hard winter. That will often quell body flex/door-hatch fitment noises. They are basically floating in their openings on their weatherstripping, only anchored by the two hinges and the latches. They need to be able to shift a little during flex, and treated seals allow that to take place quietly. I can't help with the top, but it too may have points that simply need a quick lube or seal treatment.

Hey what do mean the silicone treatment? where exactly do you put it?
I might have to try that!
Thanks

babelhoo
05-30-2014, 02:48 PM
I hear something similar in mine, not sure it's structural or (cheap) interior panels doing it.

streetsurfer
05-31-2014, 12:56 AM
You can use a silicone in a spray can, a silicone grease like plumbing/pool oring lube , or it comes in a clear gel in spray or squeeze form sold as tire and trim dressing. Wash and dry all the door seals and their mating surfaces, then wipe the seals down with the silicone lubricant. Buff it in and wipe off excess. There are also a hood and hatch gasket and sunroof seal that can benefit from regular cleaning and application. While you can use the greas in door seals the thijnner versions also work great at restoring black to the exterior trim like the roof rails, cowl, grill/diffuser, wipers, fender liners.

JoeB
05-31-2014, 05:01 AM
I finally got mine looked at this week. The creaking is from where the trunk lid mounts to the body. If I loosen/tighten the bolts, it goes away for a few days. They're going to remove it and lube everything, plus replace my drooping weather seal.