PDA

View Full Version : Excessive rear tire wear

cwilke
10-28-2013, 05:34 PM
After only 15,000 km my rear tires are like slicks. I have been complaining of loud tire noise from the get go. 1st oil change they checked the wheel bearings, all was well. 2nd oil change they looked at the rear tires and said I must have been driving like a bat out of hell, and then changed the front tires to the rear to "hide" how I had been driving. They said they could tell because the tire pressures for the front and back tires was reversed. Well, I have never driven aggressively and the car has only been to the dealership. So now it is time to put on winter tires, and I feel they will just burn off too because no one has diagnosed why my rear tires have no tread. They were supposed to have checked the alignment, but reading what they checked it doesn't look like the alignment was checked - they want me to come back to have that checked . Another 3 hours of driving, sigh!!!. Any ideas out there as to what this might be???

Tweak
10-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I can't offer any suggestions on how to correct the problem but I can say several have mentioned having problems with rear tire wear, I did not experience unusual tire wear but I did go through a set of tires due to aggressive driving after about 12K miles, this is with the 17in Pirelli tires. Maybe someone will have an actual solution but it is not uncommon.

mneuman916
10-28-2013, 09:06 PM
After only 15,000 km my rear tires are like slicks. I have been complaining of loud tire noise from the get go. 1st oil change they checked the wheel bearings, all was well. 2nd oil change they looked at the rear tires and said I must have been driving like a bat out of hell, and then changed the front tires to the rear to "hide" how I had been driving. They said they could tell because the tire pressures for the front and back tires was reversed. Well, I have never driven aggressively and the car has only been to the dealership. So now it is time to put on winter tires, and I feel they will just burn off too because no one has diagnosed why my rear tires have no tread. They were supposed to have checked the alignment, but reading what they checked it doesn't look like the alignment was checked - they want me to come back to have that checked . Another 3 hours of driving, sigh!!!. Any ideas out there as to what this might be???

There is an extensive write up in the red forum with regard to this issue. It IS an issue being covered under warranty with regard to the alignment being off due to a rear axle issue. My fathers rear axle was replaced under warranty because of this issue. PM me if you need a link to the thread in the red forum.

FTY
10-28-2013, 11:17 PM
there is an extensive write up in the red forum with regard to this issue. It is an issue being covered under warranty with regard to the alignment being off due to a rear axle issue. My fathers rear axle was replaced under warranty because of this issue. Pm me if you need a link to the thread in the red forum.

this!!