PDA

View Full Version : 500L Euro Twin Clutch won't shift in gears

Andrew J
10-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum and bought my 500L easy a month ago in Burlingame, CA. My dealer is great and has treated me perfectly. However, last tuesday morning, i was backing out of my driveway and the car made it a few feet before it starts rolling in neutral and the instrument cluster lights up with "no gears available". I put it back into Park and the car would not restart! It is now blocking the driveway and I am late for work( I am a Italian car shop owner since 1993). I have had many older Fiats in the past and currently have my first and second cars, an 850 Spider and a 124 Spider, neither of which had to be towed at all! Things break but the fixes were easy. I have always told people that Fiats mechanical reliability is second to none once you understand the cars and look after their needs( the body's need lots of rust proofing,of course).
Anyway, I had my new L towed to the dealer and they immediately looked at it and determined that the transmission should be replaced as well as the control module. I scanned the computer and recieved two error codes U0103 and P0911, both related to loss of shift control which made sense. As of friday, Fiat has not set a date as to when they can ship a new transmission to the dealer and when i can get this car back that i am making payments on. i will post an update with what happens next.

jabird101
10-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Wow, not good. I was just telling someone about how this engine trans package has been very reliable in the Dart and L. I guess every component has a bad apple. I hope they can get parts and you back on the road quickly.

solong
10-29-2013, 07:44 PM
I almost bought an L two weeks ago but I heard there may be some unsolved transmission problems. Please keep us posted OP.

jabird101
10-29-2013, 08:08 PM
They did have an issue early on with the the first run of the Dart. It had a problem with the fluid pump failing and this caused the transmission to show a condition similar to the one that Andrew J posted about, but that was resolved in Jan 2013. I have been watching and talking to the dealer where my wife's Jeep is from (they also sell Dodge) and also the fiat dealer and so far no issues. This is only two dealers in the whole US, so not a real good sample size. The DDCT has been mated to several engines including the Chrysler 2.0L so I would doubt that it is an issue with over powering it, I would imagine it is a component failure like a pump or an electronic failure like the control module. I had a bearing go bad in my new 1997 Jetta 5 speed after 12,000 miles and an axle bearing fail on my Dodge truck after 22,000 miles, but so far my L has been solid.

The biggest thing I have seen is that Americans typically don't like the feel of the DDCT or CVT transmissions. I personally like how it performs. It holds gears longer like I do in a manual and shifts quick and smooth when I am in economy mode with guests in the car. Several articles say that manufacturers should stop selling them here, but not much in the way of systemic issues.

I really like this article. The summary is that the transmission is fine, but they have to stop selling them because the don't sound right to Americans.
https://www.autonews.com/article/20130719/BLOG06/130719830

Tweak
10-29-2013, 08:37 PM
I almost bought an L two weeks ago but I heard there may be some unsolved transmission problems. Please keep us posted OP.

Welcome to the forum.

Beyond that, what jabird said.

Andrew J
10-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Beyond that, what jabird said.

Thanks, hopefully this is a rare problem! Still waiting to hear about parts availability, Andrew

jerwgar
11-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Sounds like two of us, I also read of another that got out of it with the lemon law. Mine is at the shop for 3 weeks and they can't even tell me when the parts will ship from Europe. They have given me a good loaner car, but making me worry for the future of the transmission. When I test drove my vehicle, half way through the car starting delaying accelerating, just revving, for like 3 seconds. They did a computer reset and it seemed better, but still never that responsive. My shop was told by Fiat to try a few other things before now deciding to replace the transmission and computer. I heard someone mention that 20% of the first batch had a gear installed backwards or something like that?

luvlake
11-04-2013, 05:15 PM
We drove off the lot and in the evic in the left column middle section a very RED circle with a 20 came on. It was on the full 2.5 hour drive home. We didnt drive it sunday. Today it is still on. I wonder if yours showed this? Dealer has no idea what it means. I've researched for hours and can't find it mentioned anywhere. Any thoughts? Ideas? Bringing it back to dealer tomorrow. Seriously considering returning it! sidering

jabird101
11-04-2013, 07:12 PM
That is the speed warning thing. You or someone set the max speed that you should travel to 20. When you go over that it warns you. That is something the sales person should have explained to you during the delivery.

luvlake
11-04-2013, 07:16 PM
OMG! SO simple yet sooo hard to discover. Even dealer didn't know. We will try to reset & repost! You may have saved us a 5 hour trip!

luvlake
11-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Yeay! That was it. Thank you so much.

jabird101
11-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Yeay! That was it. Thank you so much.
No problem. That is why this forum exists. We all help each other out.

Andrew J
11-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Sounds like two of us, I also read of another that got out of it with the lemon law. Mine is at the shop for 3 weeks and they can't even tell me when the parts will ship from Europe. They have given me a good loaner car, but making me worry for the future of the transmission. When I test drove my vehicle, half way through the car starting delaying accelerating, just revving, for like 3 seconds. They did a computer reset and it seemed better, but still never that responsive. My shop was told by Fiat to try a few other things before now deciding to replace the transmission and computer. I heard someone mention that 20% of the first batch had a gear installed backwards or something like that?

Hope yours comes back soon, I was told yesterday that the new transmission was installed and almost finished but they are waiting on a headlight bracket! Might be ready by next tuesday, does not seem like a high priority! I asked my service manager if he could take the part off one of the vehicles that are unsold, i am tired of waiting and hope they do not break anything else!

Andrew J
11-15-2013, 04:09 PM
i wanted to update everyone following this thread. My dealer installed a new transmission and ECU. Upon picking up the car last Saturday, i discovered a puddle of gear oil in my driveway:( The axle seal was damaged during the installation plus a bunch of stuff was left disconnected. The new transmission and ecu did not fix the problem either. On Sunday morning, the car reused to shift out of Park until i shut it off and restarted it. The shifter area was blinking and when i pressed the brake pedal down i could not hear the solenoid at the shifter click, instead it was faintly trying to release the gear shift from Park. The car was cold at the time, it appears to be a small, shifter area solenoid issue? Has anyone seen this occur on their car yet. You get a rapid flashing from the shifter area and it will not move out of gear. I think this might be the problem with the transmission since all the major replacements are not solving it. I am waiting for my car to come back with no oil leaks and everything connected correctly so that i can monitor the shifter problem when it is cold. I don't want the dealer having my car until there is a known fix for this issue, i will remove the console to access the shift solenoid to check its connections and hook up a voltmeter to it. Will post an update when i know more. Fiat is very helpful so far and are going to compensate for all the lost time, hopefully we can all help Fiat with an easy solution to this common issue without more transmission replacements, etc because the vehicle is not the same after the whole engine, etc is removed.