PDA

View Full Version : Cel p0299

Tweak
10-26-2013, 12:43 AM
Okay, time to ask for help from those that have more knowledge (easily done) and possibly have had such an issue.

I drove around 6 hrs a few weeks back and was using cruise control, when I was near the trips end after my last stop I was not able to use CC any longer, it simply would not activate when pressed, like the button was dead. Stopping and restarting the car returned the function and it worked fine during and back again (in total over 1K miles or so). This is NOT the issue but just in case it is somehow a factor I wished to include it.

Now on to the problem and some details that may be useful.

Current mods that may be make troubleshooting the issue easier:

TMC ECU (was on level 9 and has been for months without issue, switched to level 8 after returning home from the trip)
RRM intake
Madness gopedal

#1 I was going up a mountain when I got a CEL but had no way to check it at the time, boost dropped to 6lbs. Removed negative battery cable and cleared it, boost returned to normal.

#2 Again, lost boost and no CEL but stuck at a max of 6lbs boost. Checked CEL and I think it was the same but do not recall, Michael if you remember PLEASE post it up. Drove a bit tamer for a bit and just as suddenly boost returned to normal.

#3 I think then again near the top of the mountain (a different one in another area actually) right before we started our descent poof, back to nothing but 6lbs for the third time, took it easy awhile and along the way boost returned once more.

#4 Today, back home driving around town and at the time driving a little aggressively but not hammering it to max levels by any means I was in 4th about to hit 5th when I get the CEL and let off the throttle, next time I press I felt the lack of power and knew I was back at 6lbs. Drove calmly till I got into town as I was on the way home at the time and stopped and got the CEL checked since I was not sure my reader would work properly or not, code as mentioned above. So, having stopped and driving calm and making another stop before heading on home and power again returns.

So what I am seeing it would seem is engine temps are normal but whenever I either take it easy or stop for awhile I assume things cool off a bit and boost returns as that seems to me to make the most sense. I turned the gopedal off and attached the bypass for the TMC and besides the fact it sucks to feel stock again (which is def feels) I left the CEL and did not yet clear it. Suggestions, comments, opinions are all welcome and appreciated. I nor a few others did not notice anything leaking, loose, or of obvious problem on several occasions as we had thought it could simply be a loose connection at one point. I keep thinking heat since once it has some calm driving it returns to normal even if I do not stop or cycle the ignition but I am at best guessing. Oil levels are good as is the coolant, my only other thoughts go back to the K&N filter somehow being over oiled but I really did not think it was and I had never done so before but it is easy to make a mistake, hopefully one that can easily be corrected!

Is it even possible this kind of problem can stem from an over oiled K&N filter? I have used K&N and never had problems before with a couple other cars and done the clean/re-oil and never had a problem this is the ONLY change I can think of to the car in awhile but it had been doing fine for awhile before the trip (few days at least I think).

Thanks for reading/replying.

Fiat500USA
10-26-2013, 01:05 AM
I don't think the K&N would effect anything because there is no airflow meter behind it to worry about. Make sure it isn't clogged, though. It's a good idea to do a visual check to make sure all the hoses are on and haven't popped of, etc. RedRed had an issue with one or two of them. I think it turned out that the L hose on the wastegate was ultimately cracked. Do the basic checks as many times it is something so simple it is overlooked or assumed fine. Keep us up to date with what you find.

Below is the code explanation for reference:

Here is some info on the P0299 code:

P0299-TURBOCHARGER UNDERBOOST CONDITION

Theory of Operation
The base Turbocharger boost pressure is managed by the mechanical Wastegate. The Wastegate is a mechanical valve that, when opened, allows exhaust gases to flow around the turbine. The Wastegate is spring loaded in the closed position. Boost pressure is applied to a diaphragm that works against the spring pressure of the Wastegate. When the force created by the boost pressure exceeds the spring force in the Wastegate, the valve opens. This limits boost pressure by limiting the speed of the Turbocharger. Boost pressure is applied against the spring pressure of the Wastegate to control the speed of the Turbocharger. The Wastegate Solenoid is Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) by the PCM and is located between the compressor and mechanical Wastegate. When opened by the PCM, the Wastegate Solenoid bleeds boost pressure away from the mechanical wastegate, this allows the PCM to increase boost pressure to a level higher than would be allowed by the mechanical wastegate alone. The system operates as follows; boost pressure is supplied to the Wastegate Solenoid through a hose connected to the compressor side of the Turbocharger. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) varies the PWM signal to the Wastegate Solenoid to control the amount of boost pressure applied against the Wastegate. When more boost pressure is needed, the Wastegate Solenoid will direct more of the boost pressure to the clean air tube upstream of the Turbocharger and less against the Wastegate spring.

When Monitored:
With the engine running and DTCs P0033, P0034, P0035, P0237, P0238, P0299, P006C, P006D, P012B, P1185, P2261, P2262 are not present.
Set Condition:
The PCM detects that the difference between the Boost Pressure Sensor desired value minus the actual reading is above a calibrated value for the driving conditions.

Possible Causes
RESTRICTED AIR FILTER
BOOST SYSTEM PRESSURE HOSES RESTRICTED OR LEAKING
SMALL INTAKE SYSTEM LEAK OR RESTRICTION
EXHAUST SYSTEM RESTRICTION
WASTEGATE SOLENOID
WASTEGATE VALVE STICKING
TURBOCHARGER (DRAGGING TURBINE)

* I just re-read that you guys checked the obvious- I missed that. Man, it's late! :slap:

Fiat500USA
10-26-2013, 01:10 AM
If you think it is heat related and it happens again, maybe you can slow down and pop the hood so the engine compartment can cool off and *carefully* drive and see if it goes away.

Abarth Five O
10-26-2013, 01:58 AM
Was that the first time you used CC w/ the TMC box and experienced this problem? IIRC, a few w/ the MM box had issues when using CC as the program did not recognize it and went into limp mode.

musicsurf
10-26-2013, 02:22 AM
It was the same post that Redred just had. It is P0234 Turbocharger A Overboost Condition. I only quickly looked at everything when we were headed to Fontana so you might want to take a closer look at a couple things. One is the rubber boot connecting the hard vacuum line to the wastegate actuator. This was Redred's cause of the same code. The boot was ripped. That line runs down to the pressure sensor, check to make sure that connection is okay too. Also going to that sensor is the small line from the intake. Finally there is another hose going from the turbo compressor to the same sensor. I am betting that it is one of these connections. You may have to remove the rubber boots to tell for sure if they are ripped as it may be difficult to see with them still connected. Just to rule it out check to make sure the electrical connection to the diverter is connected. Let me know if any of this is the problem.

FTY
10-26-2013, 04:34 AM
I've had this CEL occur very seldomly, simply turn the car off and back on, it will take you out of limp mode. It will occur during temp changes and has to do with the piggyback units. When throttle is applied and let off rapidly or kept at a certain RPM for a long period of time this can happen because some of the parameters these boxes request aren't perfectly ,matched to the stock ecu requests. This is why the learn period and occasional full resets are important, especially during big changes in temperature. This car is full of sensors and when they all do not lineup within their operating ranges the ecu will put you into limp mode. Ive experienced limp mode and this code a few times before and its either been during temp changes, beginning of fall/winter and beginning of summer and during either long periods of time at a constant rpm or and abrupt release of the throttle. After a full reset of the car...and learn period its much less likely to happen. This is one of the reasons I've always suggested a full reset every 2-3 months. The electronics are very sensitive to ambient changes and abrupt throttle changes. The operating ranges are setup very tight on this car, hence issues with the evap parameters that required an ecu reflash for many of the early cars.

Hope this came across clearly....its late and I'm running on empty.

jguerdat
10-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Didn't have a CEL but early this summer we were driving to the FLU get-together and the cruise simply stopped working. I happened to look down at the dash to see the "Cruise control off" message being displayed. At the time I was cruising at highway speeds in ambient temps in the 80s. Nothing unusual before or after other than not being able to re-engage CC. I was close to getting gas anyways so I just waited to see what would happen with turning the engine off. Restarting the engine re-enabled CC and I've had no further issue with it. Temps? Could be but it wasn't like anything was supposedly overheating. I had a '90 Integra that, after autocrossing on a hot, humid day, wouldn't engage CC in the first place when first heading home. A short bit of highway cruising later allowed the CC to engage with no further issue.

???

mudking
10-26-2013, 09:20 AM
I had this exact code at one point a couple months back when and after about 4 runs with ECU resets and the 80 mile break in(which i know is Questioned), my tests found my old Sprint Booster Pedal to be my particular root cause, now i know the pedal was not bad cause i lent it to another Abarth owner with no Engine Mods and he tested for 2 weeks without issue, I have never gotten the code again once i stopped using the Pedal enhancer...Don't know if you tried but just leave the PowerPedal off and maybe at least rule out if it is or not the cause.
EDIt, just read you had the Pedal Off at one point, my bad, but i did get this code an might as well share what I did to resolve it...

Tweak
10-26-2013, 12:21 PM
All will get double checked but as for the Cruise, I honestly care far less about it and more about the lack of boost, the car sucks so bad when running at 6lbs. I think I might try to leave the pedal off and the ecu module bypassed and drive it hard to see if I can create the problem, if it happens without either then I know for sure of a more serious problem obviously. I do hope it is not the pedal mod as I really do like it and would hate to not be able to use it. I have a trip on Nov 1st with a long drive and some aggressive driving, around here the option is hardly available so it may take awhile to really see what comes of things but I intend to update one way or another as time passes and if any changes occur.

CC went out on a Thur (10th) and it was a Fri (11th) when the first CEL came about, then boost was also lost on Sat (12th) and Sun (13th) and this last time yesterday, in-between the last time on Sun (13th) and yesterday (25th) I had around 12 days, thing is I have not driven the car much at all during this time and until yesterday I think not aggressively when I did do any driving.

I spoke with the owner/founder of TMC and he mentioned they do not test beyond level 6, mine was on level 9 and now sits on level 8, I am considering turning down to level 6 once I begin using it again and leaving it just to air on the side of caution since it is my DD and I cannot currently afford anything that breaks that warranty does not cover. Budget is now in effect where before pretty much any $ went right to the modding.

Thanks to all for your replies and thoughts!

dart1.4t
10-26-2013, 01:45 PM
i think i read a while back either on here or the dart forum that there are sometimes issues with the waste gate. the housing warps or cracks and it fails to seal. there was enough mentions of this code on the dart forum that it's something to look into.

FTY
10-26-2013, 01:56 PM
i think i read a while back either on here or the dart forum that there are sometimes issues with the waste gate. the housing warps or cracks and it fails to seal. there was enough mentions of this code on the dart forum that it's something to look into.

That's interesting stuff.

dart1.4t
10-26-2013, 02:52 PM
That's interesting stuff.

you would definitely check all the hoses, the recurculation valve, check for other intake leaks, the actuator rod length, try removing piggyback ecus ect, ect. once that's all done, if there was still a problem you would remove the down pipe and inspect the housing. i can't seem to find the thread or any reference to that page of the service manual on inspecting the waste gate valve, i seem to remember something about using feeler gauges. but i did find a page on diagnosing the condition where if other problems weren't found as far as leaks or other problems the recomendation was t oreplace the turbo without even inspecting the waste gate. it would be covered under warranty.

Tweak
10-26-2013, 09:28 PM

you would definitely check all the hoses, the recurculation valve, check for other intake leaks, the actuator rod length, try removing piggyback ecus ect, ect. once that's all done, if there was still a problem you would remove the down pipe and inspect the housing. i can't seem to find the thread or any reference to that page of the service manual on inspecting the waste gate valve, i seem to remember something about using feeler gauges. but i did find a page on diagnosing the condition where if other problems weren't found as far as leaks or other problems the recomendation was t oreplace the turbo without even inspecting the waste gate. it would be covered under warranty.

The waste gate has been a thought that I've considered as well and even spoke with a few about being a potential culprit, only concern is with the mods the dealer might get fussy and blame them and not cover it under warranty but I am hopeful this won't be the case. Thanks again.

SpeedTriple
05-06-2014, 01:37 AM
The waste gate has been a thought that I've considered as well and even spoke with a few about being a potential culprit, only concern is with the mods the dealer might get fussy and blame them and not cover it under warranty but I am hopeful this won't be the case. Thanks again.

Hey Tweak, did this ever get resolved? I got the same code after hitting the track this weekend.

dart1.4t
05-06-2014, 08:28 AM
it seems that dodge was recommending turbo replacements but it often ends in 2 replacements before they realize that there is either a harness problem or the solenoid is stuck.. the solenoid is about $110 if you want to skip the dealer run around. i will also mention that i have had this code but it cleared out before i got a dealer appointment. i went in complaining about this, randomly open trunk (on the dart i believe there is a feature to prevent locking keys in the trunk and it can be falsey activated) traction control light, uconnect reboot while driving, long cranking before starting (this and the open trunk can be due to key or the module that reads it but the open trunk may also be coincidence i may have leaned on the key while it was in my pocket.) and no access to turn on heated seats on occasion so the car has to be killed and restarted. most except the p0299 and open trunk can be explained by a problem on the can network (well the trunk could be explained by that but it's unlikely). but if there is a physical problem with a harness it could be on multiple systems. all they found was a code on one of the modules that said the there was intermittent connection with the steering angle sensor (explains traction control light). pretty obviously a harness issue but they insist on changing my rack unnecessarily and are taking no action to correct the p0299 because it wasn't present when they looked at the car...

:Rolleyes:

Tweak
05-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Hey Tweak, did this ever get resolved? I got the same code after hitting the track this weekend.

I found my issue came about due to a somewhat specific set of circumstances. Low oil levels can create issues with boost and may have been an issue at one time but I know the use of cruise control and my piggyback play a much larger factor.

If I drive for around 300 miles with cc engaged and my TMC piggyback installed I will get occasional cc issues where it does not want to turn back on and I get a CEL (P0299, boost related issue). I plugged in my bypass and drove all weekend at the Dragon pushing the car and then drove it all the way back home without ANY more issues so I am certain now the unit combined with cc long enough (again around 300 miles) created my problems. I found that I am leaking some oil (slow leak) though now and so I mention low oil levels can also be a factor. Awaiting a call back but likely this Tuesday the car will be taken for some cosmetic and the leak to be repaired.

GileraWarren
06-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Okay, time to ask for help from those that have more knowledge (easily done) and possibly have had such an issue.

I drove around 6 hrs a few weeks back and was using cruise control, when I was near the trips end after my last stop I was not able to use CC any longer, it simply would not activate when pressed, like the button was dead. Stopping and restarting the car returned the function and it worked fine during and back again (in total over 1K miles or so). This is NOT the issue but just in case it is somehow a factor I wished to include it.

So what I am seeing it would seem is engine temps are normal but whenever I either take it easy or stop for awhile I assume things cool off a bit and boost returns as that seems to me to make the most sense. I turned the gopedal off and attached the bypass for the TMC and besides the fact it sucks to feel stock again (which is def feels) I left the CEL and did not yet clear it. Suggestions, comments, opinions are all welcome and appreciated. I nor a few others did not notice anything leaking, loose, or of obvious problem on several occasions as we had thought it could simply be a loose connection at one point. I keep thinking heat since once it has some calm driving it returns to normal even if I do not stop or cycle the ignition but I am at best guessing. Oil levels are good as is the coolant, my only other thoughts go back to the K&N filter somehow being over oiled but I really did not think it was and I had never done so before but it is easy to make a mistake, hopefully one that can easily be corrected!

I
Thanks for reading/replying.

I know this is an old toopic but I was wondering if we ever reached a concensus on a cure for this. I have recently moved to AZ and the other day (2 wks after my warrenty is expired) I'm having the same problems ie P0299 code little to no boost, no Cruise cont. After the car sits a while and the code is cleared it's ok for a while but eventually reverts back to no/boost p0299. I don't have any piggyback ecm's I have the one that reprograms my ecm which up til now has worked great. Solutions??