PDA

View Full Version : Driver seat squeak, door rattle and hatch issue

stratofortress
10-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Getting worried as the 500 doesn't appear to stand up well to interior rattles (just barely hit 11k miles):

- Driver seat squeak near right hinge where the backrest and seat connect, seems to only happen when going over large bumps and impacting something in the hardware with some force. Dealer said it was the track squeaking -- nope, definitely the seat itself.

- Driver door rattle coming from what appears to be somewhere around the top of the door trim on the interior. Incredibly annoying and consistent over the slightest of imperfect road (so pretty much 24/7 with the window rolled up).

- How many times are you supposed to have to hit the rear hatch release button? I have to press it once to unlatch, release the button, then press it again shortly after to actually fully unlatch the mechanism...seems like a weird procedure.

Any ideas on fixes would be great to give the studio an idea on what to look for before tearing the car apart.

dsmithpdx
10-25-2013, 10:09 AM
I have first two issues you describe, so I'll look forward to hearing what you find out.

BigT
10-25-2013, 10:15 AM
yeah I got the driver seat squeak too. Wonder if the dealer can correct this problem... maybe with the leather appointed seats :)

dsmithpdx
10-25-2013, 10:26 AM
I ended up raising my seat just a bit, which eliminated the squeak. I'd like to be able to put it all the way down, though.

DuckDodgers
10-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Interesting. My dealer had the Abarth yesterday with a seat squeak issue and has ordered a new seat base. The tech said the squeak was in the base, but couldn/t pinpoint it beyond that...so they'll take the current base cover off and install on a new base...we'll see what happens. Parts on order.

Additional note, three lug bolts on drivers rear all out of round (so to speak) so that a 17mm socket will not fit to tighten or loosen...replacements ordered. All other wheel lug bolts perfect, what the heck?

stratofortress
10-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Well, I guess it's somewhat comforting that I'm not the only one. As a note, I have rosso leather.

About having to adjust the seat height, no way am I'm gonna ride higher than the lowest setting -- it's already too tall as it is =/

Any ideas on the hatch though?

ScorpionSkins.com
10-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Well, I guess it's somewhat comforting that I'm not the only one. As a note, I have rosso leather.

About having to adjust the seat height, no way am I'm gonna ride higher than the lowest setting -- it's already too tall as it is =/

Any ideas on the hatch though?

You only need to raise it ever so slightly (one click short of bottoming out) to rid yourself of the annoying squeek. If you have the funds, you may appreciate looking into the necessary hardware to convert your seat to a 2014 Abarth configuration (1 inch lower) when they are made available. Of course, we still don't know what that requirement will be, and whether it'll be as easy as swapping out a minor component of the seat assembly or not.

pk9394
10-25-2013, 06:14 PM
i have rattle on my $70k SUV right after a year, and they never can fix it, my $26k little car start rattle last than 7000 miles, compare to the SUV not too bad!

to fix the door trim rattle, i rub vaseline on the weather strips. it works more than 2 months!

as of driver seat squeak, i don't have that!

Abarth Phreak
10-25-2013, 10:35 PM
My driver seat squeak has been there since day one...hav e not had a chance yet to take it in for the actual fix....but they are aware of it.

Fiat500USA
10-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Sometimes silicone on weather seals can help certain noises. Weatherstrips can also be adjusted somewhat. If a rattle is persistent and you have no luck at the dealer, you may have to tackle it yourself. The reason being is flat rate strikes again, and the tech will not get paid for the lengthy investigation some rattles require. They'll just give up and hope you go away. Doesn't make for a great service experience.

Also, check this out for those with noises on the passenger side: Fiat 500 TSB 23-034-13 B-Pillar Body Creak Noise (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?12112-Fiat-500-TSB-23-034-13-B-Pillar-Body-Creak-Noise)

DuckDodgers
10-25-2013, 11:09 PM
So I'm reading along and note the two suggestions on raising the seat slightly. Not my choice, but I try it, and voila, the squeak is gonna. Now I gotta decide if we call off the seat base replacement or not.

Fiat500USA
10-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Maybe a slim piece of rubber at the contact point may do the trick.

Tweak
10-25-2013, 11:42 PM
I have the door creak as well but find the easiest solution for me is turn the volume up more to drown it out since I am not likely to care for applying lubricant of whatever type every X # of months. I have a fire ext in the passenger floor attached to the passenger seat and it makes so much noise I'm sure most would remove it before listening to it but I just tune it out, guess I am lucky to ignore what most people cannot.

Reference DuckDodgers and the lugs, we have caps/covers on our lugs and it is likely yours are damaged slightly perhaps from over tightening by someone? It is not uncommon for these to have issues or even separate in some cases from what I have read and it applies to many Chrysler vehicles from what I have seen.

E-Fusion
10-26-2013, 12:18 AM
I had the Hatch issue from day one and the dealer is ordering me a new latch.

NGEN
10-26-2013, 11:14 PM
I had the driver side seat squeak. Raised it half a notch and it is gone. Another confirmed fix

Oh, Word?
10-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Got my car a week ago and the dash rattles when going over bumps. Not enough to annoy me yet but something to mention. Other than that the first weeks been great.

RustyPaint
10-27-2013, 04:04 AM
The rear latch for me, if I don't lift the hatch in one swift movement while pressing the button, it will stick and I have to dance with the hatch until it decides to unlatch fully.

DuckDodgers
10-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Tweak, that's what Discount Tire said...common problem with MOPAR products. That being said, they were using the correct socket and the problem was there before they rotated. Normally I do that myself, but some damaged ribs made it so I couldn't do the rotation.

stratofortress
10-28-2013, 01:14 AM
Ooh, I did not know '14 can go 1" lower. Might be something I'll look into later.

That said, seems like these are obviously not isolated issues so I'll definitely be having the dealer implement some fixes come next oil change - will update this thread with resolutions/results.

streetsurfer
10-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Ooh, I did not know '14 can go 1" lower. Might be something I'll look into later.

That said, seems like these are obviously not isolated issues so I'll definitely be having the dealer implement some fixes come next oil change - will update this thread with resolutions/results.

As well, the '14's passenger side seat will have the height adjustability.

Thad
10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
I have had the seat squeaks with the replacement of the base piece. It comes when you lean back against the upper section. Dealer can not figure it out.

I'd love to know if the 2014 passenger seat base can be retro fitted to earlier cars.

E-Fusion
11-02-2013, 11:11 AM
The rear latch for me, if I don't lift the hatch in one swift movement while pressing the button, it will stick and I have to dance with the hatch until it decides to unlatch fully.

That was my exact problem and they replaced the latch and adjusted the hatch and it seems better now, but still a bit sticky at times.

blackabarth13
11-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Found out on my squeaking drivers seat that it only did it in the lowest position. Raising it up slightly just enough to get the seat cushion of the bottom of its travel has eliminated the squeak.

elmacjunkie
07-29-2016, 06:34 PM
my apologies for resurrecting an old thread but i have these two same issues on my 2013 abarth, seat squeak and driver side door feel loose when hitting bumps or going over bad roads, sometimes it feels like the door will open.

ill try raising the seat some to see if it fixes the seat but i didn't see anyone mention a suggest a fix for the loose door. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

juwlz26
01-03-2019, 07:40 PM
I had the door rattle in my 2013 Abarth. I pulled the door panel off and found that one of the nuts holding the window regulator on had backed itself completely off and was lying in the bottom of the door. The window regulator was moving and rattling against the door. I put it back on and tightened it up and my door is rattle free!