PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hitch now available

Curious
10-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Ok folks now for the good news. Curt now has 4 different hitches available for the 500L, starting at $250.00 Hope this news makes someone's day.

Blade Runner
10-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Ok folks now for the good news. Curt now has 4 different hitches available for the 500L, starting at $250.00 Hope this news makes someone's day.

Great news but who is Curt? Who what where and how do we get one? Is there a catalog website or other collateral materials with different models and pricing Etc. Thanks

Curious
10-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Www.curtmfg.com They manufacture the hitch. Any local hitch company should be able to order them and install for you. I suppose you could try to install it yourself. But I doubt you would want to mess with it once you look at the installation instructions. You can click on the instructions. They are in color. Looks complicated and time consuming. Looks like you have to tear the rear end apart to install it and for the wiring. I am just gonna pay the hitch installers to do what they do so well every day.

Blade Runner
10-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Thank you for the info.

scap
10-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Not sure why one would like to tow with a 1.4l Turbo engine but just a note that our manual says towing is not recommended, putting a hitch on may jeopardize warranty.

Curious
10-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Rear hitch mount bike rack, same use as the hitch for the smaller 500. I had one on my previous 500C. It's a heck of a lot easier getting a bike on a hitch mount rack than putting it up on the roof.

scap
10-27-2013, 01:24 PM
That makes a lot more sense. :p

Rear hitch mount bike rack, same use as the hitch for the smaller 500. I had one on my previous 500C. It's a heck of a lot easier getting a bike on a hitch mount rack than putting it up on the roof.

Curious
10-27-2013, 06:11 PM
And no wiring required.

Felnus
10-27-2013, 07:34 PM
The Euro 500L has a maximum tow rating of 1000kg or about 2200 pounds and I don't believe they are using the 1.4L Turbo. The 500L should handle a small trailer without any problems.

I mean, if a Prima 500 can do this:

http://www.fiatlancia.com/1270.JPG

Why couldn't a 500L handle a similar or larger load?

Details of this towing setup here:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3657-Contest-MPG-while-TOWING

dichiee
10-28-2013, 09:24 AM
awesome.. thanks! Been waiting for this

Curious
10-28-2013, 08:10 PM
The Euro 500L has a maximum tow rating of 1000kg or about 2200 pounds and I don't believe they are using the 1.4L Turbo. The 500L should handle a small trailer without any problems.

I mean, if a Prima 500 can do this:

http://www.fiatlancia.com/1270.JPG

Why couldn't a 500L handle a similar or larger load?

Details of this towing setup here:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3657-Contest-MPG-while-TOWING

Not certain you compare apples with apples. Yes the 500L has the same engine, with even more horse power since it's turbo charged. But it's also a bigger, heavier car. It's taller, wider, longer, has 2 extra doors that add weight. So with that extra weight could it haul a similar trailer? I got no clue. However having driven my 500L for several months now I think it could pull a small motorcycle trailer with a small motorcycle on it.

I think it could also tow a sunfish sailboat with ease. Fun boat by the way for a couple wanting to master the basics of sailing. However I would never tow a U-Haul 8' enclosed trailer. Keep it reasonable. This is all my humble opinion for what it's worth.

Felnus
10-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Not certain you compare apples with apples. Yes the 500L has the same engine, with even more horse power since it's turbo charged. But it's also a bigger, heavier car. It's taller, wider, longer, has 2 extra doors that add weight. So with that extra weight could it haul a similar trailer? I got no clue. However having driven my 500L for several months now I think it could pull a small motorcycle trailer with a small motorcycle on it.

I think it could also tow a sunfish sailboat with ease. Fun boat by the way for a couple wanting to master the basics of sailing. However I would never tow a U-Haul 8' enclosed trailer. Keep it reasonable. This is all my humble opinion for what it's worth.

Certainly you would have to stay in the constraints of the weight rating for the hitch. Small trailers with motorcycles or personal watercraft, teardrop campers, things like that should be no trouble at all. The 500L's 184lb-ft of torque would handle it.

Curious
10-30-2013, 05:16 PM
FYI the local hitch shop here quoted me an installed price of $238.00 for a Curt hitch. This is for a smaller 1 1/4" hitch. I don't need a 2" hitch for a bike rack that holds 2 bikes. Price excludes wiring which I don't need. Problem is that Curt is out of them for now. They will call me when they get it in. Will try to post pictures of the rack with a bike or two on it once it's installed.

jabird101
10-30-2013, 07:50 PM

I had this conversation with my Honda dealer on my 2008 Fit. In the end the official word from Honda was hitches are fine because they hold things other than trailers. The other thing I was told is pulling a trailer not "recommended". That is the key word there. This releases them from liability if an accident happens because you were pulling a 5,000 pound trailer and your 2,200 pound Honda Fit couldn't stop it and you ran into a tree.

If you go to the Fiat.co.uk site and look at the towing specs for the 500L (with any engine available in the UK, and there are four, including a diesel) you will see that they list it at 400K (880lbs) without trailer brakes and 1000K (2200lbs) with brakes. Electronic brakes are about $100 for the controller and another $200 to add to a trailer.
Check out page 33 of the PDF (pages 65-64 in the page numbering int he book) on the right side middle under Capacities - Weights
http://www.fiat.co.uk/uk/PublishingI...0L-lug2013.pdf

If you have ever been to the UK, and especially in the summer, you will find that most vehicles there are used for pulling some sort of trailer. Be it a camper, what they call a caravan, or a garden trailer to pick up a few 4x2s (yea I know, 2x4 wasn't good enough, just like aluminum they had to change it or add extra letters) at the DIY store. Towing is very normal there. I have lived for a time and the have been back several times to work for a few weeks at a time and I can tell you that there is nothing more frustrating than sitting in traffic on B road because a Fiat Panda or Citroen C4 is towing a caravan up a hill at 10 MPH.

As you stated I wouldn't tow a huge Uhaul trailer, but the small 4x8 has a tare weight of 1650 and a gross weight of 2500. Don't overload it and you should be fine anywhere except in mountainous areas. The open Uhaul trailers are much heavier, because the figure you are going to be hauling a load of gravel, so I wouldn't suggest these. A smaller PWC or small sail boat like the sunfish would be fine.

I used to watch the sunfish races that they had every summer up on lake Huron when I lived in Port Huron, MI. Those racers were seriously competitive. They race all summer long on their big boats, but for one weekend they would get those little boats zipping. Some even had custom sails and special paints they would use to get an edge in the "modified" classes.

Curious
10-30-2013, 09:19 PM
I grew up with a Sunfish and a Hobie 16 kept in the dunes of our beach front house. Sunfish are tons of fun and can go very fast with the sail properly trimmed. I went down wind once with a friend. He trimmed the sail and I was at the helm. We were running with the wind and surfing the waves at the same time. Had to be careful not to purl the bow(go under water) while riding the waves. That was one fun fun ride. A Sunfish is really inexpensive fun and relaxation. And you can master the basics of sailing on one.

I now have a Beneteau First 235, sleeps four. Have had it for 23 years now. Name is Sea-Batical.

No doubt about it a 500L will pull small trailers with relative ease. As you said just keep it reasonable and stay away from mountains and tall bridges when towing bigger loads.