PDA

View Full Version : Deceptive new car rebates...come on Fiat!

Fiatfan522
10-24-2013, 09:01 AM
So I'm in the process of trying to decide whether to buy a new or used Abarth and I've run into an extremely frustrating situation that I think all potential buyers and current owners should be aware of. As we all know Fiat still has an over-abundance of 2013 Abarths on dealer lots in nearly all of the country. Generally a car company would want to move these cars to get the new ones in, but my following comments show me that Fiat doesn't seem too serious about this. I've seen many cars at dealers for several thousand dollars below MSRP due to a variety of discounts and rebates. For example I saw a couple base Abarths for high $17K to low $19K. When you call to inquire about the price is when you start to see the nonsense. Not everyone qualifies for every rebate! Sure other car companies do this too, but they are trying to sell more mainstream cars that haven't been on the lot for a year already. If I am to qualify for every discount I or someone in my family has to be leasing a car, I must be a current or former military member, current college graduate, member of USAA, and employed by a company that offers a Chrysler discount. Previously they also included a discount if I owned a VW. Please tell me exactly what percentage of the population falls into that category? And if you are in that percentage you also have to want to buy a Fiat. They are limiting sales on an already difficult car to sell. My issue is why would I spend $20K on a car that another person is capable for getting for $18K? I'd be a complete idiot for doing this. Fiat either needs to offer the same discounts for everyone or no one, with the exception of military which is actually achievement based. For current owners Fiat is potentially killing the resale value of your cars. Why would I, the consumer, buy a used 2012 for $18K when I could buy a new 2013 for the same price? Excuse my frustration and overly wordy thread, but I want an Abarth and Fiat is not making it easy or reasonable. I would love to speak to someone from Fiat to discuss this practice. I'm open to hearing from others and maybe if our voice gets heard Fiat will open these discounts to the general public not only the less than 1% that fall into their maximum rebate category.

10-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Its the way of the world!

To be fair to Fiat, you say nobody would fall into the catagories required to get the 18k price yet worry youll be paying more!?! I guess if nobody can qualify then youll get the lowest price on the road. Ahhhh happy days :)

Fiatfan522
10-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Its the way of the world!

To be fair to Fiat, you say nobody would fall into the catagories required to get the 18k price yet worry youll be paying more!?! I guess if nobody can qualify then youll get the lowest price on the road. Ahhhh happy days :)

I completely understand your point. I realize that other companies do this as well and I single out Fiat only because I want one of their cars. I don't think they are a bad company for it I just don't agree with this practice especially when the supply is so high and the demand for these cars is so low. For me the problem is, as the consumer, that once I know Fiat is capable of selling a car for a certain price I have a very hard time paying more. I suppose it's a personal thing I either have to deal with or move on, but it's just hard to swallow knowing others are capable of paying less. I also worry about resale when these kind of discounts are offered. Thanks for your comment.

Dukes2004
10-24-2013, 09:35 AM
So I'm in the process of trying to decide whether to buy a new or used Abarth and I've run into an extremely frustrating situation that I think all potential buyers and current owners should be aware of. As we all know Fiat still has an over-abundance of 2013 Abarths on dealer lots in nearly all of the country. Generally a car company would want to move these cars to get the new ones in, but my following comments show me that Fiat doesn't seem too serious about this. I've seen many cars at dealers for several thousand dollars below MSRP due to a variety of discounts and rebates. For example I saw a couple base Abarths for high $17K to low $19K. When you call to inquire about the price is when you start to see the nonsense. Not everyone qualifies for every rebate! Sure other car companies do this too, but they are trying to sell more mainstream cars that haven't been on the lot for a year already. If I am to qualify for every discount I or someone in my family has to be leasing a car, I must be a current or former military member, current college graduate, member of USAA, and employed by a company that offers a Chrysler discount. Previously they also included a discount if I owned a VW. Please tell me exactly what percentage of the population falls into that category? And if you are in that percentage you also have to want to buy a Fiat. They are limiting sales on an already difficult car to sell. My issue is why would I spend $20K on a car that another person is capable for getting for $18K? I'd be a complete idiot for doing this. Fiat either needs to offer the same discounts for everyone or no one, with the exception of military which is actually achievement based. For current owners Fiat is potentially killing the resale value of your cars. Why would I, the consumer, buy a used 2012 for $18K when I could buy a new 2013 for the same price? Excuse my frustration and overly wordy thread, but I want an Abarth and Fiat is not making it easy or reasonable. I would love to speak to someone from Fiat to discuss this practice. I'm open to hearing from others and maybe if our voice gets heard Fiat will open these discounts to the general public not only the less than 1% that fall into their maximum rebate category.

I can certainly understand your frustration. However, when I bought my Abarth back in late February there was a $1000 rebate that was being offered (no strings attached as far as I know) and I played hardball by not buying on my first or second visit, buying at the end of the month, and had several thousand more taken off without even asking.

Fiatfan522
10-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Maybe that's a tactic to try as it worked for you. I'll keep pursuing it. I suppose if a consumer really pushed the issue in negotiations they'd give you all the discounts. Thanks.

m3racer
10-24-2013, 09:52 AM
I think it's more of dealers are advertising the car with all the discounts applied to get you in the show room. I bought my car from a dealer that did not do that. My car was advertised with only the Chrysler $2500 cash allowance and that's what I received which put the car below the MSRP. It's not a Fiat ploy. Every car commercial shows you the loaded car but fine print tells you that the price is not for that car and for "well qualified" people. It's advertising that's all.

trevc
10-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Since when has buying any make of new car been a pleasant experience where you come away not feeling like you got screwed?
It is the way it is. Saturn attempted to change it but that didn't work out for them. It's a cut throat business!

Oh, Word?
10-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Like its been said, its all a way for them to get you into the door. If you don't qualify for the discounts then how is that fiats problem? If they want to sell you a car bad enough they'll make it work. After trade in (which I was on the verge of being upside down on) tax title and the million other fees they throw at you I ended up financing my 2013 for less than msrp with 0 down. Fiat also has the liberty to do things like that because you either want one or you don't its not like they've got 15-20 cars in their line up. If you go into buying a new car thinking you won't get swindled one way or another than I think you've got too much faith in the car sales business. Did I get my car for the price and interest rate I wanted, yes, but it also took two weeks of endless phone calls and 4 trips to the dealer.

Fiatfan522
10-24-2013, 10:53 AM
I think it's more of dealers are advertising the car with all the discounts applied to get you in the show room. I bought my car from a dealer that did not do that. My car was advertised with only the Chrysler $2500 cash allowance and that's what I received which put the car below the MSRP. It's not a Fiat ploy. Every car commercial shows you the loaded car but fine print tells you that the price is not for that car and for "well qualified" people. It's advertising that's all.

I see you are in Delaware. I'm up in PA so not too far away. What dealer did you go through? I'm looking for someone I feel comfortable with. Well as comfortable as possible with a new car dealer. Perhaps I should change the name of this thread I started. I realize every company does this type of stuff. It's the world we live in for sure. I just imagine being at a store and the guy in front of me buys a TV for $500 and when I try to buy the same TV they tell me it's $800. When I ask the reason why they say, " Oh well he qualifies for a special discount for people that visited Chicago in April of 1995, Sorry." Not exactly deceptive I suppose it's just a silly game they all play.

Fiatfan522
10-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Like its been said, its all a way for them to get you into the door. If you don't qualify for the discounts then how is that fiats problem? If they want to sell you a car bad enough they'll make it work. After trade in (which I was on the verge of being upside down on) tax title and the million other fees they throw at you I ended up financing my 2013 for less than msrp with 0 down. Fiat also has the liberty to do things like that because you either want one or you don't its not like they've got 15-20 cars in their line up. If you go into buying a new car thinking you won't get swindled one way or another than I think you've got too much faith in the car sales business. Did I get my car for the price and interest rate I wanted, yes, but it also took two weeks of endless phone calls and 4 trips to the dealer.

I've purchased so many cars in the last 20 years that I realize buying from a dealer is almost never a pleasant experience. I suppose that part of my purpose for this thread was to vent, but it was also to get thoughts and opinions on the topic. I'm not so naive as to think the dealers are out to make friends, their business is to sell cars and make money. Without being employed by Fiat or being a Fiat salesperson I cannot fully know who has the power to grant discounts or not, but I'msure it's a little of both.

Fiat500USA
10-24-2013, 11:14 AM
It's like going to the store and needing a coupon to get the sale price. It's a way to get you in the door, gives them an oportunity to advertise a low price and gives them a chance to not give away the profit on every item sold. Is it fair? :dunno: It's their product that they are giving you a discount on and taking the profit out of, so it probably is.

Right now, there aren't any year end rebates because the 2014s aren't out yet. Maybe wait until later this year. Year end rebates are usually for everyone. One thing to keep in mind is when the dealer doesn't make a profit, you'll find that out when you go to service and there's 1 tech, 1 service writer and no loaner cars. It's fun to get a good deal, but may be even better to have a quality dealership to bring your car to. Good luck!

Oh, Word?
10-24-2013, 11:18 AM
I was told straight up there weren't any discounts or incentives on the abarth model line when I walked in even though 0% for 60 months is advertised right on the dealers website. That's a deal that's also for qualified buyers but as long as you've got good credit your good and that can save you tons of money. Just like buying a house finance rate is everything. I've heard horror stories of dealers but aside from taking a couple weeks my sale was low pressure and they have me what I want on their own for the most part all I kept saying was no I won't buy it for more than what I feel comfortable paying.

m3racer
10-24-2013, 11:21 AM
I got my car from Fiat of Downingtown. I live and work next to Carman Fiat in New Castle, Delaware. I would recommend either one. Both have lots of Abarths in stock. I only went to Downingtown because they had the exact specs I wanted on hand at the time of the discount. Carman Fiat is a Studio only and Jeff D'ambrosio Fiat is a large dealer with other manufacturers on the lot.

Fiatfan522
10-24-2013, 11:28 AM
It's like going to the store and needing a coupon to get the sale price. It's a way to get you in the door, gives them an oportunity to advertise a low price and gives them a chance to not give away the profit on every item sold. Is it fair? :dunno: It's their product that they are giving you a discount on and taking the profit out of, so it probably is.

Right now, there aren't any year end rebates because the 2014s aren't out yet. Maybe wait until later this year. Year end rebates are usually for everyone. One thing to keep in mind is when the dealer doesn't make a profit, you'll find that out when you go to service and there's 1 tech, 1 service writer and no loaner cars. It's fun to get a good deal, but may be even better to have a quality dealership to bring your car to. Good luck!

Your input makes sense to me. I can wait as long as I need to in order to get a good deal. I won't be buying from my local dealer anyways and I do all my own mechanical work myself so my biggest concern is are they low pressure and willing to be reasonable when working with me. I suppose all I'd need the dealer for after the sale would be for warranty work. Your comment did make me laugh because when you inferred that paying a slight bit more might be worth it to have a good dealership it reminded me of my wife not minding to pay more to have a certain cell phone carrier because they have the best customer service. It is a very good point since we live in world that good customer service and people skills take a back seat to the sale. I'll definately consider all that's being said.

Fiatfan522
10-24-2013, 11:42 AM
I got my car from Fiat of Downingtown. I live and work next to Carman Fiat in New Castle, Delaware. I would recommend either one. Both have lots of Abarths in stock. I only went to Downingtown because they had the exact specs I wanted on hand at the time of the discount. Carman Fiat is a Studio only and Jeff D'ambrosio Fiat is a large dealer with other manufacturers on the lot.

Thanks for letting me know. The more dealers I can check out the more likely I amto find one that is willing to deal. I don't mind going back and forth to get the best deal. It's worth it to me.

Robert Nixon
10-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I think that's just the way the business is run, so you accept it or not, but still have to work to get the best deal you can. I'm active military but when I bought my Abarth the military deal didn't apply to Abarths and cars like the SRT vehicles from Chrysler.

The folks that bought FIATS in the first year got some free maintenance deal, but I didn't, so what.

Car manufacturers will use the coupons, zero financing, money off, rebates, and etc. when they need to in order to get the sales they need, so I'm sure at some point with a lot of cars on the lot the smart dealers will be willing to deal on price, but you still have to go in and ask. The best tactic I've heard about is to do it all on line, work with multiple dealers, and keep getting them to beat the other guys deal on the same car. If you can manage that from the comfort of your home, you just might save some money.

Fiatfan522
10-24-2013, 02:10 PM
I think that's just the way the business is run, so you accept it or not, but still have to work to get the best deal you can. I'm active military but when I bought my Abarth the military deal didn't apply to Abarths and cars like the SRT vehicles from Chrysler.

The folks that bought FIATS in the first year got some free maintenance deal, but I didn't, so what.

Car manufacturers will use the coupons, zero financing, money off, rebates, and etc. when they need to in order to get the sales they need, so I'm sure at some point with a lot of cars on the lot the smart dealers will be willing to deal on price, but you still have to go in and ask. The best tactic I've heard about is to do it all on line, work with multiple dealers, and keep getting them to beat the other guys deal on the same car. If you can manage that from the comfort of your home, you just might save some money.

Fantastic advice I thank you for it. I've been calling and emailing mutliple dealers since the closest I plan on dealing with is nearly 1.5 hours away. My local dealer is notorious for never dealing. Which is probably why they still have dozens of 2012's. I think it will ultimately take a visit to the most reasonable dealer to get the final money off. I want to say to everyone that most dealers are all taking several thousand off which is good. I did have a dealer quote me $18,899 for a new base Abarth which is incredible, but the catch was I had to get there that day before the rebate expired. It was impossible living 2 hours away. The fact that they won't honor that deal even a few days later or until I could make it there this weekend is what started me on this whole thread. So if they decide to I'll jump on it, but if not the search continues. And just to be clear I'm not complaining about the military discount. I believe it's acheivement based and therefore it's been earned.

littlejohn
10-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Yes, it's to get you in the showroom, sure. I believe in my case you needed to add $2K to any price on the Website to account for rebates I didn't qualify for and adding destination. As a dealer , I mean how can you also list the full MSRP and then say destination not included in the sale price? Taking if off and adding it back, a joke indeed, but a lot of dealers list cars that way?

2Cool
10-25-2013, 09:33 PM
I would recommend going through truecar.com for pricing, or the USAA version if you insure through them. It works well and gets good results.

Tony S
10-25-2013, 09:57 PM
I went through this with Ford also. I just bought a new explorer and I had $4,500 in rebates coupons and other stuff. The dealer would only allow mw $4000. in credits because some of the programs were not compatable with each other. The computer at the dealership would not allow him to use all the rebates. Most of these programs are from the manufacturer and the dealer looses nothing by applying them to your purchase. usually they will give a little to make the sale. When I bought my Abarth the dealer told me if I used his TD bank financing at 1% more than Chrysler he could get me another $500. off the price since I wanted to pay cash any way. He told me there was no prepayment penalty and if I made 4 payments they would get their skim from the bank and I could pay it off. I checked the contract and it was true . In NY there is no prepayment penalty. So for the few dollars in inetrest I got the $500. rebate. Also if considering a purchase request a brochure by mail. The brochure will usually have a mfg rebate for up to $500.00 and the local dealer will usually send some kind of coupon for rebates also.

peppeabarth
10-29-2013, 03:01 PM
I picked up my new Abarth yesterday. So freaking excited. Took a little going back and forth but in the end I am happy with the outcome. Pretty much a base Rosso with black stripes. Got the 0% financing for 60 months and paid $19,983 for the car from $23,250. I am so happy!!!!!!! I had a 2013 Audi S4 that I leased through my company and was able to trade that in clean and get into a Q5 (separate dealer). I wanted the Abarth to be my only performance car and the daily driver to be something more civil and family oriented. I can't wait to get home and take that baby for a spin!!!!! Keep fighting with the dealer to get what you want. I also looked at a few used 2012 that had a few more options but cost was same as new. In the end I couldn't justify paying more for something when others where getting deals that were better. We were stuck at $21,500 and then they came up with the final offer which I jumped on. There is $1,750 dealer marketing cash until the end of the month. Good luck guys/gals!