PDA

View Full Version : Oil change question

Curious
10-22-2013, 09:20 PM
When I had my 500C my dealer told me that the engine was designed to go 8,000 miles before an oil change would be needed. Now that I have traded for a 500L I wonder if this car can also go 8,000 miles. After all it is the same engine, just turbocharged. Don't know if it being a turbo requires an oil change sooner. Also not certain if it would make a difference if I used normal oil or if I used a synthetic oil.

Looking to hear from the car experts out there in this forum about what I really should do. I've got just over 4,000 miles on it. So it's time to know if I really should change every 5,000 miles. Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions.

n00dle
10-22-2013, 10:09 PM
I plan on following the manual's suggestion. The service light will come on when an oil change is due. When the light comes on depends on variables that the ECM will determine based on data from various sensors. If the car is driven aggressively the light will probably come on sooner. Under normal use the light should come on around 8,000 miles. The manual states that no matter what the oil should be changed with no more than 10,000 miles on the oil, light or no light.

Curious
10-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks noodle. I tend to drive rather conservatively. Will read up in the manual about where that light is so I can be on the lookout for it.

I also think it's import to know how to reset the car after an oil change. With my F J Cruiser I reset it after every oil change, just I case the mechanic failed to do it. I also found out how to reset it on my previous 500C. It's just good to know for certain that it's been reset so it warns at the proper mileage.

Robert Nixon
10-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Well, it's easy to tell if the light was reset because it will be off!

On the Abarth, you turn the key to power on (not start the motor), and then pump the gas pedal three times (like Doroty clicking her heels in Wizard of oz), and that resets it.

Ryephile
10-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks noodle. I tend to drive rather conservatively. ...

This may not be what you think it is. Conservative driving in regards to oil would mean very long driving times at medium load with the very minimum warm-up times. This would translate into setting the cruise at highway speeds for the entire fuel tank, then repeating. This would put the oil in its temperature sweet spot to keep water and coolant burned off, not get close to flashpoint, and biggest of all, few cold starts to grind start-up metals into the oil.

Of course, this engine requires full synthetic oil, 5W-40 Pennzoil Ultra Euro (http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra-synthetic-oil/) being the de-facto choice. Dino/conventional oil just isn't relevant anymore unless you're specifically using break-in oil. As far as I'm concerned, "normal" oil = full syn.

8K mile intervals is fine. You'd be wasting money changing it any sooner than 5k, and going longer than 10k starts trending towards a low TBN.

djhace
10-23-2013, 03:45 PM
fyi. now when you do have a turbo. it will drink a bit of oil so get used to check it from time to time.

i know you said you don't drive it hard. but let say you did made the turbo work out.
then it's good to let it run a bit (1 min) before shut off. now you can just shut it off as it has a pump but like anything. what if it fails.

Ryephile
10-23-2013, 03:59 PM
...i know you said you don't drive it hard. but let say you did made the turbo work out.
then it's good to let it run a bit (1 min) before shut off. now you can just shut it off as it has a pump but like anything. what if it fails.

The car already has an auxiliary coolant pump to cool down the turbo after engine key-off. The driver doesn't need to worry about it. There's no need to waste time and gas. If it fails? You'll hear the silence and know something is wrong. Running the correct oil (fully synthetic) has a *very* high heat tolerance and pretty much can't coke like outdated dinosaur oil. Even if the aux pump fails, you're not hurting the oil.

Remember that all this is easily researched science, not magic.

TL|DR -->Change the oil and filter every 8k miles with Pennzoil 5W-40 Euro Ultra and don't worry about anything else.

Curious
10-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Well, it's easy to tell if the light was reset because it will be off!

On the Abarth, you turn the key to power on (not start the motor), and then pump the gas pedal three times (like Doroty clicking her heels in Wizard of oz), and that resets it.

Thanks Robert. That's the exact same way it got reset on my former 500C. And by conservative let me just say I don't drive the .... Out of a car like one of my brothers did decades ago to his car, think it was a Fiat X19. He would max out the rpm's at every gear.

I try to keep it at 2,000 rpm in each gear, trying to make it last a long time. Am just not in a hurry to get to the next red light.

And thanks to everyone else for all your good suggestions.

modular
10-24-2013, 04:46 AM
So as to not muddy things up and this is relevant......for those that change their own oil......do you drain it when the car is up to temp or stone cold? I will be putting the car on ramps to do a change this weekend to get the break in oil out and some fresh Amsoil and Mopar filter in. I had intentions of putting the car on the ramps the night before so all the oil is down in the pan.

MAZ
10-24-2013, 09:07 AM
So as to not muddy things up and this is relevant......for those that change their own oil......do you drain it when the car is up to temp or stone cold? I will be putting the car on ramps to do a change this weekend to get the break in oil out and some fresh Amsoil and Mopar filter in. I had intentions of putting the car on the ramps the night before so all the oil is down in the pan.
It will drain better if the oil is warmer. Not hot, dangerous!

Robert Nixon
10-24-2013, 10:23 AM
If you are draining the oil the old fashioned way from underneath, either use a small funnel to keep the oil off the bar under the oil pan, or as you slowly remove the oil pan plug, you can hold it there to divert the oil into your pan without having it run all over the bar that's pretty much in the way. You just have to be willing to hold your arm there for about 4 minutes or whatever it takes to drain the oil.

There is a good video and set of pictures on how to do the oil change somewhere on the forum on on line that helped me. Make sure you have the ratchet and extension, and a swivel for the 27mm socket to get the oil filter canister off.