PDA

View Full Version : SCCA autocross registration open: Oct 27th Michelin Proving Grounds

Robert Nixon
10-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Here is the link to the next South Carolina region Autocross, this is the big one at the Michelin Proving Grounds in between Columbia and Greenville:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/55E58C48-F011-CF76-06E13E92411BFA59

Folks in this area rave about this course, since it's set up on a huge flat lot, which is just part of the facility at Michelin.

So far there are only about 70 cars entered, including three of us in G Stock, as my Abarth will take on a V6 Mustang and a Civic Si, plenty of room for more entries.

abarth&911
10-28-2013, 07:35 AM
How was the event? And new tire, are they any good?

Robert Nixon
10-28-2013, 08:59 AM
82788277We had a field of over 100 cars, chilly morning that warmed up, and a huge lot at Michelin for this event. This was my first event on the Dunlop Direzza IIs, and I won in G Stock over a V6 Mustang and a Honda Civic. I started with I think 43 in the front and 34 in the back, and after the second run lowered the pressures a bit since I wasn't seeing any wear down to the wear markings, and then my third run was the fastest for me, just barely in the 65 seconds, so that tells you it was a pretty long course.

In other events this year I've been very close with the Mustang driver, and all things being equal I think the Dunlops gave me a good couple of seconds over him today, since my time beat him by about 3.4 seconds. This course was set up for a lot of high speed overall, and I felt like I was squealing through all the turns probably more than I should, so I'm thinking I need to focus my driving more on slowing more for the turns so that I can get back on full power sooner rather than just sliding and squealing the tires all the way through.

The results should get posted later this week, and I'll try to upload a video

abarth&911
10-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Congratulation on the win, look like the new Dunlop are working good. Yes you are right you want to brake enough to not overshoot the corner and go wide on the exit. Like they say: slow in, fast out.

Robert Nixon
10-28-2013, 09:33 AM
I also met a guy from Charlotte who says he is still talking to the CCR solo chair about allowing the Abarth. This was the guy who owns an Abarth and drove it during some fun laps up there to show that it's a safe car, but hasn't convinced the other guy to change his mind yet.

trevc
10-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Congratulations on the win!