PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise and clutch burn smell when reversing uphill

scap
10-22-2013, 12:06 AM
I have an issue with my 500L Trekking that seems to be unique. 6 speed manual transmission. 1600 miles.

When I reverse on any kind of incline I have a horrible grinding sound that is followed by a burning clutch smell. Brought the car into the dealer and the service manager could also repeat this and tried others on the lot which do not have the same issue. He is working with Fiat on the issue but so far no resolve. Personally I am thinking it is a clutch adjustment issue or a faulty clutch. It is easily repeated when backing up to a slight curb, stopping at the curb and then reversing over the curb or any other incline.

Does anybody here have the same issue?

scap
10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Quick update.

The studio had a Fiat Tech come in to drive my car and determined that they need to pull the transmission and repair or replace it. Obviously the parts were not in stock so I am waiting patiently.

ABARTH TAMER
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Nice fleet, does not appear to be an Auto trans in there! Becoming a lost art, you could conduct training sessions for Young Americans.

scap
10-30-2013, 04:36 PM
:-) I have two young Americans in proper training already. To them an automatic is boring, just the way I like it.

Rally500
02-09-2014, 01:17 PM
I have an issue with my 500L Trekking that seems to be unique. 6 speed manual transmission. 1600 miles.

When I reverse on any kind of incline I have a horrible grinding sound that is followed by a burning clutch smell. Brought the car into the dealer and the service manager could also repeat this and tried others on the lot which do not have the same issue. He is working with Fiat on the issue but so far no resolve. Personally I am thinking it is a clutch adjustment issue or a faulty clutch. It is easily repeated when backing up to a slight curb, stopping at the curb and then reversing over the curb or any other incline.

Does anybody here have the same issue?

Hi I m from Canada close to Montreal and I have the exact same issue my driveway is on uphill and when I back up it have that loud grinding noise and lately I smell clutch doors.
Thanks

Tweak
02-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Rally500.

Rally500
02-27-2014, 08:03 PM
I took appointment for next Monday concerning the grinding noise and also other issues with stuff discussed on this forum
I ll update this tread as soon as I pick up the car.
Ciao

Curious
02-27-2014, 08:36 PM
I have heard a similar noise in my 500L when backing up. However there's no hills here in Charleston,SC. I heard this noise when I tried to back up to a parking curb. Have not had a chance to take it to the dealer so they could check it out.

Love to know what it is in your car once they fix it.

Rally500
03-23-2014, 11:27 AM
:banghead:Hi everybody I brought my car in they thought that I talking about brakes noises and said they all do that,has a mechanic myself,make sure that you road test with the technician I reproduced the noise and pointed out the condition,he said that is gonna reply to fiat USA and check if the clutch has an update part number so no news for now.
ciao

Rally500
03-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Hi everybody,this weekend I noticed that the same noise can happen downshifting from 4th to 3rd at high speed when releasing clutch I heard it with low radio volume.Did someone else noticed?
Thanks

scap
04-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Hi everybody,this weekend I noticed that the same noise can happen downshifting from 4th to 3rd at high speed when releasing clutch I heard it with low radio volume.Did someone else noticed?
Thanks

I have not noticed that but mine just started doing it again in reverse after the clutch replacement 5000 miles or so ago. Something is not right with the clutch assembly.
For those without hills it can be easily repeated by backing up to a curb until the rear wheels touch, stopping and then trying to reverse over the curb (not a big one, just one of them 45 degree ones they commonly use in front of driveways).
Not happy with this one.

Rally500
04-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the update mine does it since new and I m at 13 000 kms the technician want s to be shure that the part number change before going with replacement.My wife reported that in traffic she smell burned clutch.She has no issue driving manual shift,we have a jetta 2004 tdi with 237 000 kms which we pulled a folding trailer of 1000 pounds plus gear at several occasions and we have the original clutch and park the car the same way and no noise or smell.Since I m Italian and I speak and read it I went googling on Italian Google and it seams that s a known thing from similar driveline on Alfa s and lancia s.Has soon I have news I ll update the tread.
Thanks
Regards

Curious
04-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Ok I have had this grinding noise in my 500L when backing up, happened twice in one back up last weekend. I have a manual transmission. So I made an appointment with my dealer to have this checked/fixed. Went to the dealer this morning and it happened again when the mechanic checked my car. He thought it might be a throw out bearing, but it would make the same noise going forward, which it does not. So he tried to check for a Fiat service bulletin on line and could not find any service bulletins on this. He had to email Fiat to see if they can tell him what is the problem. Will let everyone know as soon as they hear back from Fiat.

Hey Jonathan from Fiat Cares love to know what you know about this.

Rally500
04-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the update

FiatCares
04-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Ok I have had this grinding noise in my 500L when backing up, happened twice in one back up last weekend. I have a manual transmission. So I made an appointment with my dealer to have this checked/fixed. Went to the dealer this morning and it happened again when the mechanic checked my car. He thought it might be a throw out bearing, but it would make the same noise going forward, which it does not. So he tried to check for a Fiat service bulletin on line and could not find any service bulletins on this. He had to email Fiat to see if they can tell him what is the problem. Will let everyone know as soon as they hear back from Fiat.

Hey Jonathan from Fiat Cares love to know what you know about this.

I havent heard anything regarding this issue. Are you within the US or in Canada? If you are in the US, feel free to contact me via PM with your VIN and studio name and I can look into it for you. If you are in Canada, you would have to reach out to my Canadian counterpart, Dave, at FiatCACares. Hope we can help !

Curious
04-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Hey Jonathan thanks for the offer but not needed anymore. The service agent from my dealer called me at work today to let me know that she had heard back from Fiat today about the problem. She says they will replace my clutch as soon as they get one in, more than likely in about a weeks time. Should not be a problem since this only happens in reverse and I have only heard it a few times. Did happen once again today though.

For all 500L owners you will be interested to know that this is only covered under warranty up to 12,000 miles. And I am at 11,340 today so this timing could not be any better.

Will let everyone know if this fix works.

scap
05-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Hey Jonathan thanks for the offer but not needed anymore. The service agent from my dealer called me at work today to let me know that she had heard back from Fiat today about the problem. She says they will replace my clutch as soon as they get one in, more than likely in about a weeks time. Should not be a problem since this only happens in reverse and I have only heard it a few times. Did happen once again today though.

For all 500L owners you will be interested to know that this is only covered under warranty up to 12,000 miles. And I am at 11,340 today so this timing could not be any better.

Will let everyone know if this fix works.

Now that makes me worry again. I had the clutch replaced, it does not fix the problem. Mine initially was quiet after the clutch replacement but within 1000 miles it came back. How come this is not covered for the full term of the bumper to bumper warranty?

FiatCares
05-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Now that makes me worry again. I had the clutch replaced, it does not fix the problem. Mine initially was quiet after the clutch replacement but within 1000 miles it came back. How come this is not covered for the full term of the bumper to bumper warranty?

Unfortunately, its not covered up through the 4/50 or 3/36 manufactures warranties; it is part of the wear and tear warranty and 12 months, 12000 miles. This is the full term of the coverage.

Rally500
05-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Hi to everybody that clutch issue is nothing related to wear and tear or any 12000 miles coverage this is a defect my car does it from day one,I thought maybe break-in will fix it which it didn't and we are a few to have that issue it's 26 years that I drive standard never replaced a clutch and I m Bmw certified technician. Before any clutch replacement I think that technical staff at Fiat should address this,if the clutch being replaced and it s the same part what fix are we gonna have?
I used to fix Mini s at bmw when we had 2 nd generation Mini Cooper s we had a similar issue with clutch they had weak pressure plates,that replaced with improved parts regardless mileage.
Thanks and hope that Fiatcare will care go further

Abarthone
05-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately, its not covered up through the 4/50 or 3/36 manufactures warranties; it is part of the wear and tear warranty and 12 months, 12000 miles. This is the full term of the coverage.

Hi Jonathan
My wife is abouth to buy a 500 L ,we had manuel transmission for over 12 years ,my Volvo s70 had 345000 kms on the odometer with original clutht she drive a Corrolla with 225000 kls on original clucht.
Make me wondering abouth the 500 L
I drive an Abarth with no problem so far..... You should honnor your warranty if a part is not to a reliable level

slowbird
05-01-2014, 09:29 PM
There have been reports and post from 500 owners with pressure plate failures.

Curious
05-12-2014, 08:43 PM
It took my dealer almost an entire week to finally get around to putting in a new clutch but they finally finished the job last Friday. Thank goodness for a free loaner car. I picked up my 500L last Friday after work and so far no grinding noise when backing up. I waited a few days to make this post to give it some drive time to see if the new clutch fixed the problem. Will let ya'll know if the problem resurfaces.

FiatCares
05-13-2014, 12:11 PM
It took my dealer almost an entire week to finally get around to putting in a new clutch but they finally finished the job last Friday. Thank goodness for a free loaner car. I picked up my 500L last Friday after work and so far no grinding noise when backing up. I waited a few days to make this post to give it some drive time to see if the new clutch fixed the problem. Will let ya'll know if the problem resurfaces.

Thats great news Curious, hope my involvement helped you out. Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Rally500
05-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Hi thanks for the update,is it possible to know what exactly they replaced,clutch slave pressure plate pilot bearing, and if parts have been updated or modified?that would be useful to see if your problem is solved for good.
thanks.

Curious
05-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Hi thanks for the update,is it possible to know what exactly they replaced,clutch slave pressure plate pilot bearing, and if parts have been updated or modified?that would be useful to see if your problem is solved for good.
thanks.

I really could not say for certain. I am no mechanic. They told me that they replaced the clutch, not certain what all mechanisms are included with a clutch. I bet Jonathan from Fiat Cares can find out and tell us exactly what all gets replaced when a new clutch is installed.

FiatCares
05-14-2014, 12:24 PM
I really could not say for certain. I am no mechanic. They told me that they replaced the clutch, not certain what all mechanisms are included with a clutch. I bet Jonathan from Fiat Cares can find out and tell us exactly what all gets replaced when a new clutch is installed.

I will look into this for you and let you know the parts list involved.

Rally500
05-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Hi thanks for the concern,if possible can we make sure that it s been updated part and if it s a known issue by the Fiat technical department?it would be very appreciated

edbog
05-25-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm thinking of leasing a "Trekking" but I want to know the situation regarding the clutch. It seems to be a very current problem and, possibly, any "L " that I get now may still have the same problem with the clutch. Is Fiat aware of it and is it doing anything about it? Thanks.

Tweak
05-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the forum. I have no info on the clutch so I cannot help in that regard.

Rally500
05-26-2014, 07:25 PM
I'm thinking of leasing a "Trekking" but I want to know the situation regarding the clutch. It seems to be a very current problem and, possibly, any "L " that I get now may still have the same problem with the clutch. Is Fiat aware of it and is it doing anything about it? Thanks.

Don t worry about the clutch,the car still drive with no issues beside when reversing in a uphill,I'm more concerned on the long run since I bought the car but so far people at Fiat are looking into it.
Go ahead it s a fun car

scap
06-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Update: Since mine had the clutch replacement which was only good for about 5000 miles I am working with Fiat again. First of all whoever said that it was only covered for the first 12k miles is wrong. Full warranty coverage to 50k miles applies to this problem.
Fiat is aware of the issue but my shop is checking if there is anything new lately as the standard fix of replacing the clutch assembly was obviously not the best fix.
I have just over 11k miles on the car right now and the noise is now also evident when I reverse on level ground. So it does get worse over time.

FiatCares
06-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Update: Since mine had the clutch replacement which was only good for about 5000 miles I am working with Fiat again. First of all whoever said that it was only covered for the first 12k miles is wrong. Full warranty coverage to 50k miles applies to this problem.
Fiat is aware of the issue but my shop is checking if there is anything new lately as the standard fix of replacing the clutch assembly was obviously not the best fix.
I have just over 11k miles on the car right now and the noise is now also evident when I reverse on level ground. So it does get worse over time.

Im curious who told you the clutch was warranted up to 4 years and 50000 miles; That is incorrect. Usually, as a wear item, it is warranted for 12 mos 12000 miles, unless your vehicle was built prior to Jan 10th 2012 where the Forward Care Maintenance Program came with the vehicle, where the clutch assembly was warranted for 3 years, 360000 miles. Either way, at 11K, you are under warranty and it should be address appropriately by your studio. Feel free to PM me if you need any further assistance or clarification.

scap
06-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Im curious who told you the clutch was warranted up to 4 years and 50000 miles; That is incorrect. Usually, as a wear item, it is warranted for 12 mos 12000 miles, unless your vehicle was built prior to Jan 10th 2012 where the Forward Care Maintenance Program came with the vehicle, where the clutch assembly was warranted for 3 years, 360000 miles. Either way, at 11K, you are under warranty and it should be address appropriately by your studio. Feel free to PM me if you need any further assistance or clarification.

Interesting,

That came right from the service manager at my service department at Fiat North Denver. Maybe because it is not related to clutch wear and is a reoccurring problem?

chily3
06-06-2014, 10:19 AM

We have had a trekking since September, automatic (dual clutch) has 7,500 miles on with really no trouble, I had three software updates since we bought it. Wife loves it. Each time it goes in for any service, get loaner car and car wash.

scap
06-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Just got my L back from the shop, they replaced the clutch assembly again. My dealer is not happy with the fix recommended by Fiat as it is the same as they did when the car was near new only to re-occur again shortly after. The car does not exhibit the problem any more right now just as it didn't after they replaced the clutch the first time. I will keep the group updated if it happens again.
I would encourage L owners to check that they don't have this problem prior to running into the 12k clutch warranty. My dealer told me if it happens again it is still covered under warranty since it is a recurring issue but I don't know if this would be handled the same way if you bring it in with over 12k on the clock.
All you have to do is put the car in reverse going up a hill backwards or back up against a small curb. Let the clutch out and reverse with a good amount of throttle (not to the point of spinning the tires, just more then gently). You'll immediately know if you have the problem as the grinding noise is very loud and very different from the regular whine coming from the straight cut gears in reverse.

Curious
06-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Just got my L back from the shop, they replaced the clutch assembly again. My dealer is not happy with the fix recommended by Fiat as it is the same as they did when the car was near new only to re-occur again shortly after. The car does not exhibit the problem any more right now just as it didn't after they replaced the clutch the first time. I will keep the group updated if it happens again.
I would encourage L owners to check that they don't have this problem prior to running into the 12k clutch warranty. My dealer told me if it happens again it is still covered under warranty since it is a recurring issue but I don't know if this would be handled the same way if you bring it in with over 12k on the clock.
All you have to do is put the car in reverse going up a hill backwards or back up against a small curb. Let the clutch out and reverse with a good amount of throttle (not to the point of spinning the tires, just more then gently). You'll immediately know if you have the problem as the grinding noise is very loud and very different from the regular whine coming from the straight cut gears in reverse.

Most interesting. Love to know how many miles your have on your 500L today.

scap
06-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Most interesting. Love to know how many miles your have on your 500L today.

The first exchange was done at under 1000 miles and this one at 11700. It restarted the problem at around 3000 miles but we decided to see if it gets wortst over time. It actually only does very slightly. At the end it would make the sound in any reversing, not just under load.

David Paul
07-01-2014, 09:21 PM
I've sent you a PM, please let me know when received. Im having this issue with my 2014 500L and my dealership is not working with me. Please help.

David Paul
07-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Posting to subscribe. Sorry, new to this stuff. :)

scap
07-02-2014, 10:33 AM
I've sent you a PM, please let me know when received. Im having this issue with my 2014 500L and my dealership is not working with me. Please help.

Hi David,

I did not get a PM from you. Let me know and I would be happy to help if I can.

David Paul
07-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Hi David,

I did not get a PM from you. Let me know and I would be happy to help if I can.

Thank you, I sent it to Jonathan from FiatCares - :)

scap
07-14-2014, 03:37 PM
And it all starts again. The noise is still there even though I now had the second clutch replacement. Getting a bit tired of Fiat not getting their crap together.

Abarthone
07-14-2014, 04:32 PM
And it all starts again. The noise is still there even though I now had the second clutch replacement. Getting a bit tired of Fiat not getting their crap together.

After reading this tread i pushed my wife to buy a Mini Countryman cooper s all4 instead of a 500 L i hope fiat will put is shxx together for you and all other unhappy costomer
Too bad cause it is a nice vehicule......
I own an 13 Abarth and i am very satisfied about the car but the service dep is crappy

Rally500
07-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Hi everybody I got a call from my studio,thanks to Dave P. From Fiat care canada who did something for me,but since my technician side got involved I asked my studio if parts where updated and confirmed me that the parts are the same still so we decided to wait for Fiat to find the real fix with parts updated.They confirmed me that other people got the same issue and working with Fiat.Sorry Abarthone that you chose otherwise but cooper s all 4 don t come cheap and they have there issues too,I worked for Mini,I know trust me,at least some people are getting involved and things improve.
Thanks

scap
07-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Let me know what comes of it Rally500, my shop is working on another 500L with the problem but are now looking at a flywheel replacement. Apparently a very expensive option for Fiat but if it fixes the problem I am all for it. That would however not explain why there is some success by exchanging the clutch even though it is only temporary.

Rally500
07-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Hi Scap I ll keep you posted but I am vw and Bmw trained technician and previously fixing Mini s and when they got 2nd cooper s series we got a couple of car with similar noise and conditions,the engineers found that pressure plate wasn't strong enough and in some occasions would burn the clutch.So they came out with a fix they replace complete clutch kit with updated stronger pressure plate,problem solved.That s what I want to hear from Fiat,a real fix

Abarthone
07-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Hi everybody I got a call from my studio,thanks to Dave P. From Fiat care canada who did something for me,but since my technician side got involved I asked my studio if parts where updated and confirmed me that the parts are the same still so we decided to wait for Fiat to find the real fix with parts updated.They confirmed me that other people got the same issue and working with Fiat.Sorry Abarthone that you chose otherwise but cooper s all 4 don t come cheap and they have there issues too,I worked for Mini,I know trust me,at least some people are getting involved and things improve.
Thanks

You may be right but we were shopping for a Lounge but the dealer had no white in stock them i asked the vendor abouth the white treking and he told me "what is a treaking"
That did not make me belive he was very competent
Mini are having issue too but the dealer is serious about costomer satisfation and the service dept is very good

islander
07-22-2014, 11:52 AM
You may be right but we were shopping for a Lounge but the dealer had no white in stock them i asked the vendor abouth the white treking and he told me "what is a treaking"
Mini are having issue too but the dealer is serious about costomer satisfation and the service dept is very good

Ah, this reminds me that the salesman who sourced the bianco/nero Trekking for me last August always referred to it as a 'Techie'. And, yes, I've continually (and in various ways) had the impression that this 'studio' is not really on the ball when it comes to Fiats. They are after all a Chrysler dealership focusing overwhelmingly on Chryslers, Dodges and Ram trucks with their Fiat operation appearing to be rather clumsily grafted on.

Rally500
07-22-2014, 11:41 PM

Go see my salesperson at Longue Pointe Fiat in Montreal and be sure to get Luigi the guy knows Fiat

trekkermike500l
07-27-2014, 12:51 AM
I am a new Fiat 500l owner noticed this sound with less than 100 hundred miles on my car. I am curious if you have found a solution for this problem yet? Thanks.

Blk500L
07-27-2014, 06:50 AM
Just started to experience this yesterday, and I'm at 2600Km (1600 miles). Seems like a very common problem, and I'm kind of surprised that Fiat hasn't found a solution to this.

trekkermike500l
07-28-2014, 12:30 PM
I talked to my dealership about this reverse grinding sound issue. They said they have had complaints. Fiat said this is completely normal, and Fiat is looking into it to see if there is a solution to fixing the noise.

Blk500L
07-28-2014, 05:39 PM
I talked to my dealership about this reverse grinding sound issue. They said they have had complaints. Fiat said this is completely normal, and Fiat is looking into it to see if there is a solution to fixing the noise.

How can Fiat say this is normal, when you actually can smell the clutch burning, I think it will effect the clutch over time. All the cars I've owned were standard and none of them ever made such a noise. Hope Fiat will come up with a solution soon.

Curious
07-28-2014, 07:54 PM
How can Fiat say this is normal, when you actually can smell the clutch burning, I think it will effect the clutch over time. All the cars I've owned were standard and none of them ever made such a noise. Hope Fiat will come up with a solution soon.

What a joke for Fiat to say such a sound is normal. Am certain that everyone else in the world begs to differ. Normal is driving in reverse with no such sound or smell. The only normal smell is a new car interior smell. I had the same problem on my 500L and they put in a new clutch. From reading all the posts about this issue I really wonder if that really was what the problem is. Have heard it once for a short second after I got a new clutch in, really makes me wonder if they really fixed the problem.

FiatCACares
07-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Just started to experience this yesterday, and I'm at 2600Km (1600 miles). Seems like a very common problem, and I'm kind of surprised that Fiat hasn't found a solution to this.

Blk500L,

I'm sorry to to hear about your shifting concerns.

Is the grind and smell only experienced when going up an incline, or have you noticed it under any other circumstances?

Bomiz
07-30-2014, 10:03 AM
I have a 2013 Abarth with 1500miles and this has been occurring since the first day I bought it, thought it was normal. No matter what I have to go into reverse at a complete stop or the gears will grind. I've also had occurrences of driving in the street and one of the great switches grinding. (happened a few times).

Blk500L
07-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Blk500L,

I'm sorry to to hear about your shifting concerns.

Is the grind and smell only experienced when going up an incline, or have you noticed it under any other circumstances?

It is mostly when reversing, don't really hear it in normal driving, but a lot of times I do smell the clutch though even in normal driving. It's very frustrating, and not really what you'd like to smell inside a new car.

scap
07-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Not sure this is the same issue my clutch smell issue quickly went away after the first few weeks but the uphill reverse noise issue has been and is a constant problem.

Rally500
08-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Hi everybody I tried very hard helping out with my mechanic background,I told to check the pressure plate on this forum I PM Fiatcacares which he did something by ordering a clutch kit but sadly same part number.....,I told fiat canada.I currently work for Bmw also previously Mini and the technical department moves faster to solve issues.Like I said many times the 2nd generation Mini Cooper s had similar issue that got fix by updating the pressure plate.they never said it s NORMAL....
Hope to get news from FiatCacares or Fiat Canada or USA .

Blk500L
09-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Has anybody been able to find a solution to this?

ALadies500L
09-25-2014, 05:59 PM
I'd also like to know if there has been a solution to this as I have also noticed this under similar circumstances

Rally500
09-25-2014, 06:06 PM
I'd also like to know if there has been a solution to this as I have also noticed this under similar circumstances

It s a year that I try to get answers,at first my studio said we never heard of,at last visit I asked they had a few complaints but no follow up so far....

ALadies500L
10-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Clutch is being replaced tomorrow, its clutch slip. only 6500km on the car :(

Fiat Canada knows nothing of these issues.

Was originally told the dealer could not make it happen, my persistance, fueled by the fact I took the day off work. I made sure they heard the noise. The tranny tech heard it as well and knew right away what the issue was.

If you want to know how to test for this noise please PM me and make it known to your studio.

There are 2 reasons my clutch would be slipping at this point (6500km) 1 pressure plate is not strong enough 2 there is grease leaking in the clutch, I will know tomorrow what the real issue is when they pull out the original

Blk500L
10-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Clutch is being replaced tomorrow, its clutch slip. only 6500km on the car :(

Fiat Canada knows nothing of these issues.

Was originally told the dealer could not make it happen, my persistance, fueled by the fact I took the day off work. I made sure they heard the noise. The tranny tech heard it as well and knew right away what the issue was.

If you want to know how to test for this noise please PM me and make it known to your studio.

There are 2 reasons my clutch would be slipping at this point (6500km) 1 pressure plate is not strong enough 2 there is grease leaking in the clutch, I will know tomorrow what the real issue is when they pull out the original

Could you please let me know which dealer you went to, so I can take mine in as well, since now they already know about the problem. Been trying to get this resolved for a while now, but the last place I went to they kept insisting that it's normal.

ALadies500L
10-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Johnston Fiat! In hamilton
So pleased with them for putting up with my persistence

scap
10-02-2014, 10:22 AM
I am on my third clutch now including the original and two replacements and the problem is not fixed by the clutch exchange. I am also thinking clutch slip but it seems to be design related and not due to a faulty part.

Blk500L
10-02-2014, 11:10 AM
I wonder if fiat is aware of this and actually trying to find a solution to the problem

ALadies500L
10-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Not likely at this point, when I spoke to Fiat Canada they said they had never heard of this problem before.

My studio told me that its because I ride the clutch... however they told me that the clutch is blueing in spot (If I rode the clutch it would be completely blue. If its blue in spots something is defective.

If anyone else is having a similar problem might be best to get it into the studio.

FiatCares might be able to help us as well?! Maybe?

I wonder if fiat is aware of this and actually trying to find a solution to the problem

Blk500L
10-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Not likely at this point, when I spoke to Fiat Canada they said they had never heard of this problem before.

My studio told me that its because I ride the clutch... however they told me that the clutch is blueing in spot (If I rode the clutch it would be completely blue. If its blue in spots something is defective.

If anyone else is having a similar problem might be best to get it into the studio.

FiatCares might be able to help us as well?! Maybe?

I will bring mine in soon, I've only got 4000 Kms on it, and it started doing it around 2000. But they can't tell me is the way I drive, I've only been driving manual transmission cars ever since I started driving, never owned an automatic. Heck I've got my 91 Alfa Romeo with 145000 kms on it and still with the original clutch, even though it needs to be replaced soon.. So definitely something is wrong with the design of the car, plus why does it only make the noise while in reverse. Hope fiat cares reads this and gets on top of the issue, or give us some kind of explanation.

ALadies500L
10-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Well mine is in the shop for 6 days, so angry! just want to drive my car and not this SHytty dart!

should be ready to go tomorrow ... hopefully...

ALadies500L
10-10-2014, 08:59 AM
The fiat is home! New clutch! No grinding as of yet! Hope it stays that way!

ALadies500L
10-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Below is what the fiat dealer did with my car and what they replaced.

J# 1 21FIZ TRANSMISSION HOURS: 13.90 TECH(S):2905 WARRANTY
COMPLAINT: HEARING A GRINDING NOISE WHEN REVERSING ON INCLINE
CAUSE: TESTED VEHICLE UNDER DIFFERENT CONDITIONS NOISE TRANNY HAS
NO OUT OF THE ORDINARY NOISES. CHECK FLUID LEVEL GOOD.
TESTED FOR LONGER PERIOD OF TIME HEARD NOISE IN REVERSE
I THEN TESTED FOR N OISE IN ALL GEARS HEARD SLIGHTLY
AT DIFF GEARS REMOVED TRANNY TOOK APART CHECKED EVERYTHING
NO INTERNAL ISSUES FOUND I THEN REMOVED CLUTCH AND FLUWHEEL
CLUTCH HAD HOT SPOTS AND ALONG WITH FLYWHEEL
CORRECTION: I REPLACED FLYWHEEL CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE ALSO REPLACED
SLAVE CYLINDER AND THERMOSTAT HOUSING TUBE ORING

PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER---------------DESCRIPTION--------------------UNIT PRICE-
1 68196158-AA ACTUATOR 21-101-016 WARRANTY
1 68230291-AA CLUTCH 21-010-026 WARRANTY
2 06509729-AA LOCK NUT 02-003-014 WARRANTY
1 68210593-AA FLYWHEEL 09-045-001 WARRANTY
1 04627849-AA COVER 21-003-006 WARRANTY
1 04627268-AC COVER 21-003-006 WARRANTY
1 68119338-AA O RING 07-011-001 WARRANTY
1 68211424-AA THERMOSTA 07-041-00 WARRANTY
3 68092630-AA FLUID 01-081-018 WARRANTY
3 ENVC-05 CHARGE WARRANTY
1 68104496-AA ANTIFREEZ 01-081-00 WARRANTY
1 ENVC-36 CHARGE WARRANTY
TOTAL - PARTS 0.00

JOB# 1 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 1 JOURNAL PREFIX FICS JOB# 1 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 2 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LABOR------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J# 2 36FIA6 RECALL HOURS: 0.40 TECH(S):2905 WARRANTY
COMPLAINT: RAPID RESPONSE 14-068 FLASH
CAUSE: FLASHED MODUAL
CORRECTION: RECALL FLASH

PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER---------------DESCRIPTION--------------------UNIT PRICE-
1 CBC0P421-AA AIR BAG 23-049-007 WARRANTY
TOTAL - PARTS 0.00

JOB# 2 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 2 JOURNAL PREFIX FICS JOB# 2 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 3 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LABOR------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J# 3 22FIZ WHEELS/TIRES HOURS: 0.01 TECH(S):2905 WARRANTY
COMPLAINT: SOME OF THE RIMS HAVE THE CLEAR COATING COMING OFF.
ESPECIALLY RIGHT REAR.
CORRECTION: E

JOB# 3 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 3 JOURNAL PREFIX FICS JOB# 3 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 4 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 4 36FIZ RECALL BASE HOURS: 0.40 TECH(S):2905 WARRANTY
COMPLAINT: RECALL P42 KNEE AIR BAG MODULE
CAUSE: AIR BAG
CORRECTION: INSTALLED AIR BAG

FiatCACares
10-10-2014, 09:56 AM
The fiat is home! New clutch! No grinding as of yet! Hope it stays that way!

ALadies500L,

Excellent news!! I'm pleased to hear everything is back to normal. Thanks for posting the results and details!

ALadies500L
10-10-2014, 10:30 AM
After many many fights with the dealer she is alive and well. They really need to stop with the "its the way you drive" excuse.

In this case it was not!

ALadies500L
10-10-2014, 05:10 PM
FYI "TESTED FOR LONGER PERIOD OF TIME HEARD NOISE IN REVERSE
I THEN TESTED FOR N OISE IN ALL GEARS HEARD SLIGHTLY
AT DIFF GEARS"

was me not taking "I didn't hear anything" as an answer
I had to be a bit b*tchy to get them to start taking me serious

Rally500
10-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Hi thanks for all those details,with all that said that you did drive your car normally and that the technician said that the flywheel was spotted,it reveal that the pressure plate clamping is not strong enough,I hope that some fiatcare people reads it and look for update from Fiat technical dept...I think it s pretty clear,all the other people who changed clutch and came back after....

Blk500L
10-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Well dealership looked at my car today and I have to say that I am very frustrated and disappointed, first dealer I went to a while back try to tell me this was normal and that I just needed to break it in. Today I had an appointment to a different dealer, they took the car for a drive and acknowledged that indeed there's a problem... My frustration comes in when they tell me that they won't do anything about it, until a new updated part comes out, now to me that is bull.. I'm not sure if fiat is even aware of this problem and are actually working on a solution. To me they should just replace the clutch or whatever part needs to be replaced until a solution is ever found. I shouldn't be stuck with a brand new car that makes annoying noises while driving and a dealer that tells me that I just have to drive it the way it is for now. I hope fiat cares reads this and chimes in, and is able to give an explanation of what's going on, and why am I stuck whit a car that can't be fixed.

Rally500
10-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Well dealership looked at my car today and I have to say that I am very frustrated and disappointed, first dealer I went to a while back try to tell me this was normal and that I just needed to break it in. Today I had an appointment to a different dealer, they took the car for a drive and acknowledged that indeed there's a problem... My frustration comes in when they tell me that they won't do anything about it, until a new updated part comes out, now to me that is bull.. I'm not sure if fiat is even aware of this problem and are actually working on a solution. To me they should just replace the clutch or whatever part needs to be replaced until a solution is ever found. I shouldn't be stuck with a brand new car that makes annoying noises while driving and a dealer that tells me that I just have to drive it the way it is for now. I hope fiat cares reads this and chimes in, and is able to give an explanation of what's going on, and why am I stuck whit a car that can't be fixed.
Don t worry you should not be stuck,my car does it since day 1,when I backed up Un my driveway,29000 kms and a trip to Florida,I m concerned on the long run I hope they address the problem with all those complaints and inputs from everybody
And yes it s bull...the break in thing....it s pretty loud noise.

Blk500L
10-18-2014, 07:58 AM
Don t worry you should not be stuck,my car does it since day 1,when I backed up Un my driveway,29000 kms and a trip to Florida,I m concerned on the long run I hope they address the problem with all those complaints and inputs from everybody
And yes it s bull...the break in thing....it s pretty loud noise.

The problem is that my car has the noise even in normal driving at certain rpm, it's not as loud as when reversing but it's there , and after driving for a while it gets really annoying.

scap
10-20-2014, 11:40 AM
The problem is that my car has the noise even in normal driving at certain rpm, it's not as loud as when reversing but it's there , and after driving for a while it gets really annoying.

That sounds like maybe a related but different problem. I am on the third clutch set including the original and have tried my best to find potential situations when the noise occurs. I can replicate it 100% in reverse either up a hill or on a flat but have never been able to do it in any of the forward gears. If it is indeed a pressure plate issue It should really only occur in very high torque situation such as the short gearing in reverse or heavy acceleration in 1st or coming up a curb in 1st. Once the car is moving the clutch forces are significantly reduced.

Have you driven another 500L on the lot to see if you can replicate the issue? The reverse issue does not impact 100% of the cars but my Studio did see it on other new ones on the lot, some don't have the problem at all.

I am very concerned about this issue as it will impact our ability to sell privately to anyone driving a standard and checking the clutch during the test drive. In addition it feels like crap driving a new car that first of all may have spotty reliability and turns heads every time you back out somewhere. None of my friends will ever consider a Fiat because they heard mine in reverse. When they commented on the issue and I told them how incompetent Fiat is i resolving the issue they just shake their heads. Don't get me wrong, I understand first year issues, what bothers me is the complete lack of interest to the issue. I wonder if this could fall under the "lemon law" criteria since Fiat is obviously not able to provide a product that meets standards after repeated tries to correct the issue?

scap
10-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Ok, Lemon law does maybe not apply. Here is the wording in Colorado.

"If, within 1 year of purchasing the vehicle, every valiant effort has been made to fix the defect (and it has to be the same defect) the buyer may be able to apply the Lemon Law. Colorado statute defines "a reasonable number of attempts" as 4 attempts or a total of 30 days (not consecutive) in a shop within 1 year."

I only brought mine for two clutch replacements and then decided not to bother as it didn't fix anything and the recommendation of my studio to wait for an actual parts update once Fiat figured out what to do. I guess I should have pushed harder.

Blk500L
10-21-2014, 11:14 AM
That sounds like maybe a related but different problem. I am on the third clutch set including the original and have tried my best to find potential situations when the noise occurs. I can replicate it 100% in reverse either up a hill or on a flat but have never been able to do it in any of the forward gears. If it is indeed a pressure plate issue It should really only occur in very high torque situation such as the short gearing in reverse or heavy acceleration in 1st or coming up a curb in 1st. Once the car is moving the clutch forces are significantly reduced.

Have you driven another 500L on the lot to see if you can replicate the issue? The reverse issue does not impact 100% of the cars but my Studio did see it on other new ones on the lot, some don't have the problem at all.

I am very concerned about this issue as it will impact our ability to sell privately to anyone driving a standard and checking the clutch during the test drive. In addition it feels like crap driving a new car that first of all may have spotty reliability and turns heads every time you back out somewhere. None of my friends will ever consider a Fiat because they heard mine in reverse. When they commented on the issue and I told them how incompetent Fiat is i resolving the issue they just shake their heads. Don't get me wrong, I understand first year issues, what bothers me is the complete lack of interest to the issue. I wonder if this could fall under the "lemon law" criteria since Fiat is obviously not able to provide a product that meets standards after repeated tries to correct the issue?

The technician that checked the car said it has to do with the clutch/pressure plate, the noise isn't as loud as it would be when in reverse, but it's the same kind of noise, it only occurs in the lower gears between 1500-2000 rpm, and when the car starts moving. What really gets me is that the studio is refusing to replace clutch etc.. I think even if replacing the parts fixes the problem for a short period of time, they should still replace it, to make the customer happy, instead of me being stuck with the noise continuously. I did drive a couple of other 500L in the lot and some don't have the problem at all, some have the same issue.

Rally500
12-02-2014, 08:05 PM
The technician that checked the car said it has to do with the clutch/pressure plate, the noise isn't as loud as it would be when in reverse, but it's the same kind of noise, it only occurs in the lower gears between 1500-2000 rpm, and when the car starts moving. What really gets me is that the studio is refusing to replace clutch etc.. I think even if replacing the parts fixes the problem for a short period of time, they should still replace it, to make the customer happy, instead of me being stuck with the noise continuously. I did drive a couple of other 500L in the lot and some don't have the problem at all, some have the same issue.

Nobody has news if there s a fix to this after all those complaints,clutches,suggestions ???

EricB
12-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Hi I m from Canada close to Montreal and I have the exact same issue my driveway is on uphill and when I back up it have that loud grinding noise and lately I smell clutch doors.
Thanks

Did you managed to get it fixed ? Got same problem too, am in sherbrooke.
Got battery drain issue too. Nice looking car, previous 500 was way better.

oscardario
12-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Hi All,

This thread has been incredibly helpful as I also have a 500L 6-spd Manual with the exact same clutch issues. When the car had approximately 8,000 miles on it the clutch started making a terrible screeching sound when shifting into reverse. I brought it to my local Fiat dealer and they consulted with Fiat corporate, disassembled the clutch, and determined that a replacement was needed. After the clutch was replaced the noise went away.

The car now has 15,800 miles on it and the exact same noise started again! I brought it back to my Fiat dealer and this time they were told by Fiat corporate that this is a "known issue" but not widespread enough to warrant a technical service bulletin. Fiat told them that the problem was a coating left over from manufacturing and that the repair procedure was to release the clutch half way while reversing up a hill, heating the clutch, then to stop and let the clutch cool, and to repeat this 10 times. The dealer did this and they are now saying the problem is fixed.

My problem with this explanation is that I live on a steep hill in San Francisco and I ride my clutch while in reverse multiple times per day when I have to park. If the problem was simply a coating on the clutch that could be burnt off after 10 times of doing the same then this coating should have been gone shortly after I started driving with the new clutch. Second, if the coating is left over from manufacturing then why didn't the clutch make noise when it was brand new? It only started making noise 8,000 miles into its life. I'm skeptical to say the least.

Has anyone else heard this explanation from their dealer? Has anyone else seen this repair procedure work?

Thanks!!

Rally500
12-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Did you managed to get it fixed ? Got same problem too, am in sherbrooke.
Got battery drain issue too. Nice looking car, previous 500 was way better.
Hi Eric nothing so far that s wy I was asking at large,we like the car,but we have a few little issues wich it s normal for new model,I have to take an appointment at my dealer for airbag recall and radio glitches we also have a shifter freeze when -10 degree and cold.I ll ask for the clutch again to see where they are at.

Rally500
12-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Hi All,

This thread has been incredibly helpful as I also have a 500L 6-spd Manual with the exact same clutch issues. When the car had approximately 8,000 miles on it the clutch started making a terrible screeching sound when shifting into reverse. I brought it to my local Fiat dealer and they consulted with Fiat corporate, disassembled the clutch, and determined that a replacement was needed. After the clutch was replaced the noise went away.

The car now has 15,800 miles on it and the exact same noise started again! I brought it back to my Fiat dealer and this time they were told by Fiat corporate that this is a "known issue" but not widespread enough to warrant a technical service bulletin. Fiat told them that the problem was a coating left over from manufacturing and that the repair procedure was to release the clutch half way while reversing up a hill, heating the clutch, then to stop and let the clutch cool, and to repeat this 10 times. The dealer did this and they are now saying the problem is fixed.

My problem with this explanation is that I live on a steep hill in San Francisco and I ride my clutch while in reverse multiple times per day when I have to park. If the problem was simply a coating on the clutch that could be burnt off after 10 times of doing the same then this coating should have been gone shortly after I started driving with the new clutch. Second, if the coating is left over from manufacturing then why didn't the clutch make noise when it was brand new? It only started making noise 8,000 miles into its life. I'm skeptical to say the least.

Has anyone else heard this explanation from their dealer? Has anyone else seen this repair procedure work?

Thanks!!
Hi that s a good one so far with all those miles the coating would be long gone
We heard it all��

DDT
12-17-2014, 11:36 PM
Hi All,

Wondering if there have been any new developments with the manual transmission on the 500L. I am 7 days away from the 30 day threshold for automatic buy-back of my DDCT 500L Easy. It doesn't look like they will have the transmission repaired anytime soon. One option may be a "Trade Assist" so I've been considering a Trekking with manual, however, what I've read on this forum gives me concern.

I did ask the service manager about the warranty on the manual and it is 4yr/50,000 miles for defects. Though the wear and tear on the clutch is 12 months/12,000 miles.
I explained my concern about what I've read here. The service manager told me that they can tell when they open the transmission that they can tell if it is premature clutch wear from improper driving or something more nefarious. I was also told that they have not seen any of the problems mentioned here. Yet I know that you guys are not fabricating these stories. Hence my concern.

Thank you for your feedback.

Rally500
12-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Hi All,

Wondering if there have been any new developments with the manual transmission on the 500L. I am 7 days away from the 30 day threshold for automatic buy-back of my DDCT 500L Easy. It doesn't look like they will have the transmission repaired anytime soon. One option may be a "Trade Assist" so I've been considering a Trekking with manual, however, what I've read on this forum gives me concern.

I did ask the service manager about the warranty on the manual and it is 4yr/50,000 miles for defects. Though the wear and tear on the clutch is 12 months/12,000 miles.
I explained my concern about what I've read here. The service manager told me that they can tell when they open the transmission that they can tell if it is premature clutch wear from improper driving or something more nefarious. I was also told that they have not seen any of the problems mentioned here. Yet I know that you guys are not fabricating these stories. Hence my concern.

Thank you for your feedback.

Hi don t worry it s a year and a half that I m driving it,it s annoying for a new car to be noisy but for the rest the car goes with no problems I drove a round trip Montreal Canada to Miami Florida and no issues ,it s more the fact that I payed for a new car and that noise it s not normal.

DDT
12-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Rally 500,

May I ask how many miles on your 500L? Which model do you have?

Have you had any problems with the battery or the uConnect?

So you live in Montreal? La plus belle ville au Canada.:encouragement:

Rally500
01-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Rally 500,

May I ask how many miles on your 500L? Which model do you have?

Have you had any problems with the battery or the uConnect?

So you live in Montreal? La plus belle ville au Canada.:encouragement:

Hi DDT thanks for the nice quote!my 500L has 32 000 kms around 20 000 miles I have a few issue with my USB port connection with my iPod and my sat radio reloading but Bluetooth works seamlessly battery is no issue and gets a beating with our nice cold weather,so far so good.it s the lounge model,I bought the car when it came out in the dealers the discount on the lounge was good free sunroof,Beats audio with backup camera and I also had 17 inch mags the car is white with black roof.And what s funny we has an Abarth reserved for us but I went there to get my old car appraised and my salesperson suggested me to try the L and having one teen getting tall and a girl going the same way we liked the space and all that glass that makes the car big inside and feel spacious and all the practicality of the car,now I would like to give it an abarth flavour to it my wife finds the throttle response sluggish so I mplanning on some madness goodies.
Happy new year

DDT
01-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Hi Rally 500,

Happy New Year to you as well. Thanks for the info on your 500L. I was told to go an look for a replacement Trekking with manual to replace my Easy with DDCT. So far it still seems a bit nebulous as to what FIAT is willing to do. They say "trade assist" , well how much "assist" is there with that offer? Clearly it would be better to assist by replacing the car with another of equal value. Otherwise I will pursue LEMON Law and they run the risk of having to give me back most of my money and pay attorney's fees as well.

Rally500
01-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Hi Rally 500,

Happy New Year to you as well. Thanks for the info on your 500L. I was told to go an look for a replacement Trekking with manual to replace my Easy with DDCT. So far it still seems a bit nebulous as to what FIAT is willing to do. They say "trade assist" , well how much "assist" is there with that offer? Clearly it would be better to assist by replacing the car with another of equal value. Otherwise I will pursue LEMON Law and they run the risk of having to give me back most of my money and pay attorney's fees as well.

Hi DDT I find the trekking nice with sportier look,you guys are lucky with lemon law we don t have this here in Canada,hold your grounds when they offer the trade,your the customer you payed for new car and if they want to keep the customers it s more than a fun drive that they have to offer to customer with growing competition from other brands so I hope that you get a good deal out of it.
Ciao