PDA

View Full Version : Lease Remorse

rgalang
10-21-2013, 03:30 AM
Hello everyone, excited new owner of a 500e. Perhaps too excited.

To make a long story short, I had a wife and 3 children pestering me to get out of the dealer. So I rushed the process.

I put $1,500 down and paying $298/ month. The only upgrade I chose was the white interior at $395.
My friend purchased the orange (+$895) and he put down $1288, $268/ month.
We're both 12,000 miles. The only difference is a different dealer.

- I had less expensive car
- Paid more in downpayment
- Paying more monthly

I've been reading some great deals from others on this forum as well.

The car will be ready this Friday. What are my options at this point? Could I still renegotiate after signing all paperwork? Thanks in advance.

Andree
10-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Hello everyone, excited new owner of a 500e. Perhaps too excited.

To make a long story short, I had a wife and 3 children pestering me to get out of the dealer. So I rushed the process.

I put $1,500 down and paying $298/ month. The only upgrade I chose was the white interior at $395.
My friend purchased the orange (+$895) and he put down $1288, $268/ month.
We're both 12,000 miles. The only difference is a different dealer.

- I had less expensive car
- Paid more in downpayment
- Paying more monthly

I've been reading some great deals from others on this forum as well.

The car will be ready this Friday. What are my options at this point? Could I still renegotiate after signing all paperwork? Thanks in advance.

Ask the dealer.

There is a difference that you didn't mention, that of credit. All those advertised low price leases come with the "to well-qualified lessees" disclaimer. There are people here who have the $199 per month lease. And there's a dealer contribution that factors into the monthly payment, if the dealer doesn't make the contribution, the savings aren't passed on to the consumers.

It's not a good idea to shop for best price after you've bought/leased the car. It's sort of like saying you want to change restaurants after eating the more expensive dinner.

The good news is that it isn't a HUGE amount...30 dollars a month, a little over a thousand dollars during the 36 month lease. That's the price of this valuable lesson.

To do the homework before going to buy. To set financial limits on what you will pay. To go to the dealer when you do not have to be anywhere else and when you have no distractions. Then you have plenty of time to ask questions and discuss terms. You might even set a rule for yourself that you don't buy the first time you check out the car. Maybe give yourself a week to review their price and terms, and check with other dealers.

You could go with family the first time, so everyone can see the car, and get some rough numbers from the sales person. Come back alone, ready to do business. That makes sense and having to leave with the family because of distraction makes sense to the sales person too.

Since we don't buy cars on a daily basis, it's easy to overlook some things. If we did do this daily or weekly, we'd have it down pat. Easy to recognize a great deal on a product or service you use all the time. Milk or coffee or tinned cat food for my critters, I know a good deal when I see it. Cars? Not so much.

Just work on getting your rebate and tax incentive stuff together, and prepare to enjoy a gasless three years. That should save you a big chunk of money, and you'll have one of the most unique electric vehicles on the market.

rgalang
10-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks Andree,

My credit score is well above 700. I sent my dealer an email and asked about the discrepancy. I haven't heard back yet.

I went in to it, knowing full well that this car was in high demand. That there was nothing hidden, everything is just laid out.. Like buying an iPhone, everyone gets the same price. I don't want special deals, just give me the base price. So basically "dealer contribution" is basically their profit and they can adjust this based on how much a customer wants to haggle?

I have no regrets about buying the car. And the cost, as you said, isn't a huge amount. But can't help feel that there was more the dealer could have done but took advantage of a distraction.

Fiat500USA
10-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the forum. I definitely understand it can be tough to read or hear about someone paying less than you did. Like many, I paid list for my car and have no regrets. Everyone is different, some folks love to negotiate and do the hard work to save some bucks. Others don't want the hassle, find a car they like and are fine with paying the price. In my experience, there is always someone who will pay less for something. I try not to dwell or pay attention because it doesn't get you anywhere.

If it bothers you, see if you can negotiate something after the fact. Maybe they can throw in a Fiat jacket or something like that. In anycase, you have a really cool car that is hard to get and others from around the country would be happy to pay even more for so enjoy.

Tweak
10-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the forum...also, what he ^^^ said.

Abarth Phreak
10-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Blame it on the wife....sillylol

Unfortunately, the dealer is most likely going to leave the completely executed deal as it is. They are in the business to make money. However, as Admin said, it never hurts to ask and or try. If they change it for you it will amount to a better review for them. Did you actually verify your buddy's deal though? Unless your deal has a mistake or some "hidden" fees somewhere, you probably paid for a higher APR. Maybe you did not get the "buy rate" for the best APR???

Good luck though!

Raindrops
10-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Well, I think we've all experienced that before! Acck. I guess the best thing is not to compare, but from reading what others paid here and on the other forum, you're probably slightly on the high end but not the most expensive.

Maybe you can see if the dealer can increase the mileage to 15,000? They can forgive the overage too if they want and not charge you for excess, so maybe they can rewrite it now.

Lastly, since you haven't taken delivery of the car, is it possible for you to back out? Maybe check with the Consumer affairs division? I seem to think that in CA once you sign the paperwork, you can't back out, but I'm not sure if that only applies to when you actually take delivery of the car. Most people take delivery of the car the day they sign the paperwork.

Good luck. I had similar situation with airline tickets, who would have known that it would have been cheaper if I waited 3 more days... aargghh. So after that, my sister in law told me never to check on the airfare again after you bought the tickets... not as big a deal as the car, but due to 5 tickets, the money at the time was about half of the 1000 you are losing out on... so a little ouch.

rgalang
10-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks Raindrops,

Took your advice and asked to bump up my milage limit to 15k. It worked. They actually gave me an option which included reduction of the monthly payment. Not significantly, but very glad that they were flexible. I took the 15k mileage limit and will be picking up the car soon. My daily commute 3x/ week is 80 miles round trip which would put me very close to the 12k/year limit. Now I have nothing to worry.

Will be posting more positive messages when I get the car!

Well, I think we've all experienced that before! Acck. I guess the best thing is not to compare, but from reading what others paid here and on the other forum, you're probably slightly on the high end but not the most expensive.

Maybe you can see if the dealer can increase the mileage to 15,000? They can forgive the overage too if they want and not charge you for excess, so maybe they can rewrite it now.

Lastly, since you haven't taken delivery of the car, is it possible for you to back out? Maybe check with the Consumer affairs division? I seem to think that in CA once you sign the paperwork, you can't back out, but I'm not sure if that only applies to when you actually take delivery of the car. Most people take delivery of the car the day they sign the paperwork.

Good luck. I had similar situation with airline tickets, who would have known that it would have been cheaper if I waited 3 more days... aargghh. So after that, my sister in law told me never to check on the airfare again after you bought the tickets... not as big a deal as the car, but due to 5 tickets, the money at the time was about half of the 1000 you are losing out on... so a little ouch.

Andree
10-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Brilliant idea Raindrops! And so glad to hear it worked out for you, rgalang!

Love these forums. The more people participate, the more ideas there are to think about.

Raindrops
10-24-2013, 02:30 AM
Thanks Raindrops,

Took your advice and asked to bump up my milage limit to 15k. It worked. They actually gave me an option which included reduction of the monthly payment. Not significantly, but very glad that they were flexible. I took the 15k mileage limit and will be picking up the car soon. My daily commute 3x/ week is 80 miles round trip which would put me very close to the 12k/year limit. Now I have nothing to worry.

Will be posting more positive messages when I get the car!

Great! Everyone says its a fun car to drive, so maybe you'll want to use it more than just for commuting so good to have the extra miles!:)