PDA

View Full Version : Options for OEM Lug Bolts

Abarth Five O
10-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Already replaced 2 OEM lug bolts as cheap chrome cap easily stripped and dented during removal. Very limited choices to upgrade to aftermarket lug bolts i.e. Madness and Allison's Automotive offer only chrome aftermarket locking lug bolts so I am considering upgrading to studs with lug nuts as there are many more choices of aftermarket lug nuts in different colors and styles. Suggestions welcome.

Fiat500USA
10-19-2013, 07:43 PM
VW/Audi have black covers for the wheel bolts that I was thinking of using.

Abarth Five O
10-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your suggestion. I looked at this appearance option through R/R and Madness, but am still left w/ the stripping/denting problem.

2Cool
10-19-2013, 09:14 PM
I have had my wheels off quite a few times, and have no issues with the stock chroming. What are you torquing them to? And using air or hand tools? Often impact wrenches will wreak havoc with the chrome shells on lugs.

FTY
10-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your suggestion. I looked at this appearance option through R/R and Madness, but am still left w/ the stripping/denting problem.

I have to use wobble bolts and they are just Zinc coated so I use those rubber caps ion the tops to prevent corrosion and a cleaner look. Ebay has them pretty cheap.

Fiat500USA
10-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Are your wheel bolts chrome? My originals were plain aluminum colored steel. I am currently using wobble bolts from Tire Rack and after about 15,000 miles they are showing some pitting. There look to be silver anodized. I wonder if Midwest Bayless has something. If I recall correctly, the chrome lugs on Fiat Spiders were pretty nice (that's going back a few years or decades!)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qzgFwDcF1gw/UmMuV-LyD3I/AAAAAAAASxI/HR4HrFpvIiw/s640/Prima%2520Wheels%2520b.jpg

Abarth Phreak
10-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Hi Chris,

What wrench are you using to remove them if they are stripping? That is definitely strange for sure. The wrench/socket should fit relatively snug to avoid all pressure on the bolt corners causing the stripping.

trevc
10-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Checkout OtisIncLA.com - I got some spacers and black lug bolts from them. Phil there is very knowledgeable.

Abarth Five O
10-19-2013, 10:34 PM
I have had my wheels off quite a few times, and have no issues with the stock chroming. What are you torquing them to? And using air or hand tools? Often impact wrenches will wreak havoc with the chrome shells on lugs.
75-80 ft./lbs. The shop techs used an air gun and the socket was not set securely all the way down, thus stripping the chrome cap. :-( They're bad and they made good. I have used hand tools and never had a problem.

n00dle
10-19-2013, 10:55 PM
There's a guy here on the forum, Guiseppe who manufacturers titanium hardware for the Abarth. Here's a link to the thread he mentions it and a forum member who acknowledges the quality of them. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11674-Wheel-stud-kits/page2

and here's his website. http://titaniumcc.com/

Abarth Five O
10-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Checkout OtisIncLA.com - I got some spacers and black lug bolts from them. Phil there is very knowledgeable.

Do you have the size/specs of your black lug bolts? Thanks!

Abarth Five O
10-19-2013, 11:06 PM
There's a guy here on the forum, Guiseppe who manufacturers titanium hardware for the Abarth. Here's a link to the thread he mentions it and a forum member who acknowledges the quality of them. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11674-Wheel-stud-kits/page2

and here's his website. http://titaniumcc.com/

Thanks for the links! I know Guiseppe, he's formerly from HI. I'll hit him up.

SeaDawg
10-20-2013, 03:20 AM
Are your wheel bolts chrome? My originals were plain aluminum colored steel. I am currently using wobble bolts from Tire Rack and after about 15,000 miles they are showing some pitting. There look to be silver anodized. I wonder if Midwest Bayless has something. If I recall correctly, the chrome lugs on Fiat Spiders were pretty nice (that's going back a few years or decades!)

I have wobble bolts on my Sparcos. I purchased a set of Black plastic lug bolt covers (from 500Madness) that just slide over the wobble bolt heads and look like black lug bolts. They have been on for 6-12 months and I haven't lost one yet, but they also include a few spares just in case you do. You can get them in black or chrome..since they're plastic they don't rust so even in inclement weather they shouldn't be too difficult to remove.

DuckDodgers
10-20-2013, 11:21 AM
The local Discount Tire had a problem with one of my bolts too (normally, I'd rotate myself, but I was banged up at the time). I was watching, and they didn't mess it up, it was simply not quite round. They say they get this problem quite often with MOPAR products because of the aluminium caps on the bolts distorting.