PDA

View Full Version : 500L problems

a511475
10-19-2013, 08:40 AM
1. The door light stayed on and could not get it off. When the door opened the alarm went off
2. The battery went dead
3. could not connect the phone
4. Lights on panels were blinking
5. lights around the gear shift blinking
6 check engine light on. ( been in the shop for this one for two days and counting)

stilyong1
10-19-2013, 11:56 AM
No problems yet got 3500klms on it seems to be fine but who knows been on a couple trips ok good luck with urs mine is a 500l lounge 2014

Jay-W
11-23-2013, 06:24 PM
I purchased my Rosso 500L Lounge back in October and (at 1,023 miles) am, generally, very happy with the style, features, room, fit-and-finish, etc... However, in the interest of sharing issues (and, possibly, problems) with both fellow owners and FIAT/Chrysler, I just wanted to mention: 1. A throttle/shifting issue; & 2. A steering mechanism issue. I've noticed item #1 almost since I drove the car home and, to-date, have assumed that it's just a characteristic of the unique, new "Euro Twin" automatic clutch transmission. Issue #2 just developed within the past couple of weeks -- so now I'm going to schedule a visit with my studio to get both checked out. In-detail, the issues Iíve noticed are the following: 1. Lag in application of power in response to throttle pressure (similar to Stacey Willardís third issue under the ď500L Shifting ProblemsĒ topic). This is particularly bad, and noticeable, when the car is cold in the morning & I need to accelerate out of an alley uphill onto a busy street -- in either manual or automatic shift mode. A common example is that I slowly pull out to the road to check traffic; when I realize I can go, I depress the throttle and nothing happens (i.e. no engine revs), then I push a little more and the engine surges while the car suddenly jerks forward. Not sure if this is a throttle response issue or a transmission issue. Also possibly related: in normal stop-and-go traffic with the car in automatic shift mode, shifting is very jerky when I speed up or slow down as the car up-shifts and down-shifts. 2. Within the past 1-2 weeks I noticed, particularly at low speeds (such as maneuvering in-and-out of a parking space), a thunking sound and feel at my feet on the driverís side as Iím turning the steering wheel. It feels like something is striking the floorboard. It makes me wonder if something is either broken or not properly connected in the steering mechanism? As I said, Iím going to get the car in to my studio to get both checked out and I'll keep you-all posted.

Stacey Willard
11-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Let me know what you find out about the lag. It drives me crazy that I can accelerate and feel the hesitation and I know it's not shifting. I am going to take my car in when it's warm again so that the rear hatch is rattling (it doesn't do it when cold).

Also, this morning, I put my car in reverse and all the lights on the gearbox were flashing. I put it back in park and the same thing. I could hear the gearbox clicking like while it was in park, as if it were trying to figure out what to do. After about 15 seconds, it finally stopped clicking and blinking and worked fine the rest of the drive to work.

These issues make me wonder if I bought the right car and what the long term outlook is like for this car.

I purchased my Rosso 500L Lounge back in October and (at 1,023 miles) am, generally, very happy with the style, features, room, fit-and-finish, etc... However, in the interest of sharing issues (and, possibly, problems) with both fellow owners and FIAT/Chrysler, I just wanted to mention: 1. A throttle/shifting issue; & 2. A steering mechanism issue. I've noticed item #1 almost since I drove the car home and, to-date, have assumed that it's just a characteristic of the unique, new "Euro Twin" automatic clutch transmission. Issue #2 just developed within the past couple of weeks -- so now I'm going to schedule a visit with my studio to get both checked out. In-detail, the issues I’ve noticed are the following: 1. Lag in application of power in response to throttle pressure (similar to Stacey Willard’s third issue under the “500L Shifting Problems” topic). This is particularly bad, and noticeable, when the car is cold in the morning & I need to accelerate out of an alley uphill onto a busy street -- in either manual or automatic shift mode. A common example is that I slowly pull out to the road to check traffic; when I realize I can go, I depress the throttle and nothing happens (i.e. no engine revs), then I push a little more and the engine surges while the car suddenly jerks forward. Not sure if this is a throttle response issue or a transmission issue. Also possibly related: in normal stop-and-go traffic with the car in automatic shift mode, shifting is very jerky when I speed up or slow down as the car up-shifts and down-shifts. 2. Within the past 1-2 weeks I noticed, particularly at low speeds (such as maneuvering in-and-out of a parking space), a thunking sound and feel at my feet on the driver’s side as I’m turning the steering wheel. It feels like something is striking the floorboard. It makes me wonder if something is either broken or not properly connected in the steering mechanism? As I said, I’m going to get the car in to my studio to get both checked out and I'll keep you-all posted.

Wolfepaw
11-25-2013, 02:08 PM
I purchased my Rosso 500L Lounge back in October and (at 1,023 miles) am, generally, very happy with the style, features, room, fit-and-finish, etc... However, in the interest of sharing issues (and, possibly, problems) with both fellow owners and FIAT/Chrysler, I just wanted to mention: 1. A throttle/shifting issue; & 2. A steering mechanism issue. I've noticed item #1 almost since I drove the car home and, to-date, have assumed that it's just a characteristic of the unique, new "Euro Twin" automatic clutch transmission. Issue #2 just developed within the past couple of weeks -- so now I'm going to schedule a visit with my studio to get both checked out. In-detail, the issues Iíve noticed are the following: 1. Lag in application of power in response to throttle pressure (similar to Stacey Willardís third issue under the ď500L Shifting ProblemsĒ topic). This is particularly bad, and noticeable, when the car is cold in the morning & I need to accelerate out of an alley uphill onto a busy street -- in either manual or automatic shift mode. A common example is that I slowly pull out to the road to check traffic; when I realize I can go, I depress the throttle and nothing happens (i.e. no engine revs), then I push a little more and the engine surges while the car suddenly jerks forward. Not sure if this is a throttle response issue or a transmission issue. Also possibly related: in normal stop-and-go traffic with the car in automatic shift mode, shifting is very jerky when I speed up or slow down as the car up-shifts and down-shifts. 2. Within the past 1-2 weeks I noticed, particularly at low speeds (such as maneuvering in-and-out of a parking space), a thunking sound and feel at my feet on the driverís side as Iím turning the steering wheel. It feels like something is striking the floorboard. It makes me wonder if something is either broken or not properly connected in the steering mechanism? As I said, Iím going to get the car in to my studio to get both checked out and I'll keep you-all posted.

I have that lag as well with a sudden surge. It only happens from a full stop to hitting the gas to get out into traffic, etc. I particularly notice it as well when my 500L is not fully warmed up. Once I'm warmed up it drives just like my 500 Sport when you start off in 1st, bit of a hesitation with power getting going. The "quirkiness" of shifting in and out of gears when at lower speeds in stop and go or city streets seems to be normal for this transmission. If I use premium gas it's less noticeable.

Stacey Willard
11-25-2013, 02:26 PM
I use mid grade gasoline most of the time and can't tell a difference between that and low grade. I have also tried high grade and didn't notice a difference. I feel embarrassed sometimes at the sudden surge when I have someone in the car, it makes me feel like I don't know how to drive. :) I'm worried about icy roads and having this surge happen. I still think there's some hesitation besides the shifting going on. If all of it really is quirkiness, I will never buy this type of transmission again.

jamesreza80
11-27-2013, 06:51 PM
I've been having the same issues as well. Really happy with everything else but makes me wonder if I bought the right car. Bought the car in September and just hit 1,000 miles. Haven't been driving it much because I've been having issues every time I drive!

Issues that I've had:
1. Battery went dead. Didn't use the car for 2 day (it was the weekend) and on the 3rd day (Monday), battery died.
2. Excess radat. fluid temperature light came on.
3. Lights around the gear shift were blinking (P, R, N, D)
4. Put car in reverse and then the gear shift locked. Couldn't get it out of reverse to P or D. Tried to restart the car but couldn't. Engine wouldn't start. Had to wait a couple of minutes to restart the engine and was finally able to move it to D.
5. Driving on the fwy one day and there was a notice that said my seat belt wasn't on so the car kept beeping. Had my seat belt on the whole time I was driving. Guess the car couldn't tell.
6. When listening to Sirius XM sometimes it would shift to AM or FM stations. Very annoying.
7. Today - check engine light came on. Checked the gas cap to make sure that it was closed properly but check engine light still on. Called my dealer and they said they can't take it in for at least a week.

On a side note, 1 week after I bought my car, a rock hit my windshield. :(
Waited 2 1/2 months for a new windshield!

Guyg74
11-27-2013, 07:47 PM
I had the same issue happen to me with the blinking gear shift lights and check engine. Turned out there was a failure of the electronic control module and shifter (both were replaced). Then I experienced a strong burning smell and smoking from the dual clutch mechanism in stop and go traffic. I think I caught one from a bad batch from the factory. I'm having my dealer work with FIAT to buy the car back since these flaws are too severe for the long term viability of this car. It's unfortunate because I really like the 500L, but I won't be getting another one right now.

Torrediruggiero
01-31-2014, 01:53 AM
I have also noticed a clunking sound when turning the steering wheel left and right ...and I can feel it underneath my foot too...... Did the dealer find out what the problem was ???

Tweak
01-31-2014, 10:32 AM
I have also noticed a clunking sound when turning the steering wheel left and right ...and I can feel it underneath my foot too...... Did the dealer find out what the problem was ???

Welcome to the forum, steering shaft on the 500 line has caused a clunk but I don't recall it with the L.

guerrafa
03-17-2014, 12:35 AM
Let me know what you find out about the lag. It drives me crazy that I can accelerate and feel the hesitation and I know it's not shifting. I am going to take my car in when it's warm again so that the rear hatch is rattling (it doesn't do it when cold).

Also, this morning, I put my car in reverse and all the lights on the gearbox were flashing. I put it back in park and the same thing. I could hear the gearbox clicking like while it was in park, as if it were trying to figure out what to do. After about 15 seconds, it finally stopped clicking and blinking and worked fine the rest of the drive to work.

These issues make me wonder if I bought the right car and what the long term outlook is like for this car.

Did you happen to know what is the issue with the thunking sound ? im experiencing a similar issue .

minibrings
12-07-2014, 01:24 PM
I've been having the same issues as well. Really happy with everything else but makes me wonder if I bought the right car. Bought the car in September and just hit 1,000 miles. Haven't been driving it much because I've been having issues every time I drive!

Issues that I've had:
1. Battery went dead. Didn't use the car for 2 day (it was the weekend) and on the 3rd day (Monday), battery died.
2. Excess radat. fluid temperature light came on.
3. Lights around the gear shift were blinking (P, R, N, D)
4. Put car in reverse and then the gear shift locked. Couldn't get it out of reverse to P or D. Tried to restart the car but couldn't. Engine wouldn't start. Had to wait a couple of minutes to restart the engine and was finally able to move it to D.
5. Driving on the fwy one day and there was a notice that said my seat belt wasn't on so the car kept beeping. Had my seat belt on the whole time I was driving. Guess the car couldn't tell.
6. When listening to Sirius XM sometimes it would shift to AM or FM stations. Very annoying.
7. Today - check engine light came on. Checked the gas cap to make sure that it was closed properly but check engine light still on. Called my dealer and they said they can't take it in for at least a week.

On a side note, 1 week after I bought my car, a rock hit my windshield. :(
Waited 2 1/2 months for a new windshield!

Last week, after sitting in airport, my battery died. Dealer said battery fine, have to make arrangements to get rental and leave car fir a week. Thought id just buy a battery at Sears... And they don't sell batteries for the 400L. Ugh. Never buy a car where the closest dealer is 50 or so miles away.

Ps last August parked at airport a week and same dead battery, i thought i may have left light on then so i ignored it, now see pattern.