PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on factory Pirellis?

crankin
10-17-2013, 08:07 PM
This may have been answered already, but I would like to know if any else has problems with these tires hooking. My car is stock with V3 intake and TMC waiting to be installed. Rolling in 2nd or 3rd, hammer down and the tires just want to break loose. I got about 1500kms on the car so far and its about 10 - 15 degrees celsious during the day when I am seeing this happen. Recommendations on an all season tire with better traction? Keep the Pirellis and learn how to drive? Lets here what you guys have to say.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-17-2013, 08:14 PM
After about 9000 miles I started to experience ever increasingly audible road news. Much like some other members here, I had the tires looked at by a couple of mechanics and they were determined to be factory defective. The disappointing part about it is that my local dealership that sold me the vehicle won't directly take responsibility, and neither will Fiat (I was instructed to contact Pirelli directly for any warranty issues, as opposed to the issue being directly resolved). I haven't had much experience with other tire brands besides Bridgestone, but the P-Zeros absolutely disappoint me with their shockingly bad quality.

shadyabarth
10-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I only have about 2006 miles on the factory Pirellis but I think they are ****! I am going to rip them off soon and replace them witj either Michelin Supersports or Falken Azenis RT615ks

Tweak
10-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I suggest considering Kumho Ecsta 4x, I have them and I know a few others with them and they like them as well. I wore my Pirelli tires out in about 12,000 miles, the fronts were rotated at about 8K and they were pretty bad off due to so easily spinning them due to my aggressive driving style. I recently took the Abarth to the mountains and did over 1,000 miles in a few days through 3 states and spent a lot of time carving some of the most twisty roads around and the new Kumho tires did great. They also do well in rain and are pretty good in snow too, plus Tirerack has a $50 rebate so I think you can get an entire set for about $300 bucks!

crankin
10-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Can I go up another size? I read here something like 215/45 or 215/40?

Tweak
10-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Can I go up another size? I read here something like 215/45 or 215/40?

215/40/17 will work for you.

http://i41.tinypic.com/qwzvb7.jpg

Seafarer61
10-20-2013, 01:01 PM
opinions?

nothing more than wheel protectors.

When mine wear out, I'll be going with another 16-inch.

streetsurfer
10-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Do you feel you followed a good tire break in procedure?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=5

As I understand it, if you heat cycle the tires too early, the mold release is further cured into the rubber rather than slowly worn away, with the former leaving you with a more slippery tire.

crankin
10-20-2013, 03:00 PM
I wasn't too hard on them at all. I have been searching around and I think I am going to stick with 205/40/17 and switch to the new michelin a/s 3. There really aren't that many choices in the 215 sizing.

bryanintowson
10-21-2013, 08:01 AM
I have liked my OEM Firestones. I had a set of Pirellis on my previous car (Acura TSX) and they were wonderful for the first couple thousand miles. Then they got loud. Firestones all the way.

Robert Nixon
10-21-2013, 10:07 AM
my Abarth came with the 16 inch Pirellis, and in 19,000 miles I really didn't have any problems with them. The one time we had snow last winter they were OK, and they've been fine for a beginner autocrosser, although they aren't top line performance tires either. Have gotten some upgraded 17 inch wheels and Dunlop Direzza IIs for autocross, but will put the Pirellis back on untill they wear out for everyday driving.

Little Italy
10-21-2013, 06:27 PM
I suggest considering Kumho

The last time I considered saying "kumho" my wife slapped me! :burnout:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

djhace
10-21-2013, 06:44 PM

haha.

i am running federal 595 evo tires, half price but as good or not even better then the p nero.

RagingBullWinkle
10-21-2013, 06:55 PM
"They also do well in rain and are pretty good in snow too"

Hey Tweak did you drive them in the snow or did you hear? My plan is to drive snowy days with the SUV but still take out the Abarth on clear days. There will be the days I'm caught so pretty good will be better than the Pirellis.

Tweak
10-21-2013, 08:05 PM

LOL! :D

"They also do well in rain and are pretty good in snow too"

Hey Tweak did you drive them in the snow or did you hear? My plan is to drive snowy days with the SUV but still take out the Abarth on clear days. There will be the days I'm caught so pretty good will be better than the Pirellis.

I haven't driven them in snow myself but have heard they do well and I know two people that own them and deal with snow, one in the Virginia area and one uses them in winter and lives in Canada, also the reviews and ratings reflect them being good in snow for an ultra high perf all season tire. I drove ONCE in the ice with the Pirelli stockers, SUCKED so bad even the tiniest incline, not even a hill just a slight incline and I was struggling to get enough traction to move forward.