PDA

View Full Version : 99% sure on abarth but options needed.

Oh, Word?
10-17-2013, 07:48 PM
So I've been into the abarth since I first saw them and I'm finally at a point where I can get one. I've driven it about 5 times now, 2013 white base abarth as I don't care for any of the expensive frills. In the past 7 years I've owned a 24 valve vr6 GLi, an 05 srt4 and currently own a 05 s2000. Kinda sick of dealing with the two seater even if its admittedly the best car I've ever owned. Just wondering how people are liking them coming from a background of cars like I've had. Loved my srt to death as I'm a mopar man at heart but I caught the s2k bug and had to have it. I can get into the abarth for $9 more a month with 0 down and have a 4 year warranty, the s2k has 89k and could use some things before winter. Any input would be great. Thanks a lot, Jake.

James Hunt
10-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Don't do it. Buy something with higher build quality and with a better dealer network.

I own 2 an Abarth and a Pop C and both are very huge POS's and the selling dealer is lacking in service and Csi. On top of the poor build quality and poor dealer network the resale value is very low.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I came over from a Mini S. The Abarth build quality is rather "cheap" compared to a brand such as Mini, but the Abarth makes up for it when it comes to the engineering component. I've often stated that the Mini brand of vehicles feel like luxury cars that attempt to be sporty, while the Abarth feels like it embodies the soul of an actual sports car in miniature form.

The little vehicle is great fun, and I'd consider the engine very reliable. The factory exhaust sounds fantastic, and all build quality quirks aside it offers a very satisfying drive.

Unfortunately, James Hunt does have a point. The dealer network is absolutely terrible at the moment. If you can appreciate the car for what it is, considering its limitations and realizing it's a vehicle that drives fast, but it is not necessarily the fastest on the road, you'll greatly appreciate your purchase. Best of luck!

FTY
10-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Like others said depending where you live the dealers can make life difficult, my local dealer seems to be resonable so far and some have had good experiences while others have had nightmares.

The Abarth is a very visceral car. It has tons of soul, classic looks, and a few cheap materials inside. I think the car is well designed in and out and can easily be a very rewarding daily driver. I came from an R32 and am and VW, Audi and Porsche guy and am still very pleased with this little car.

djhace
10-18-2013, 01:58 AM
"higher build quality" that would be a older SAAB. swedish steel!
All car makers cuts corners. Even if you buy a lambo, hey look vw buttons. grrrreat.

i haven't had any issue with my car. got 19k on it.
hell of fun car. also love the part that is not many out there.

if you want great re-sale value. get a corolla. haha.

Andree
10-18-2013, 03:49 AM
I came over from a Mini S. The Abarth build quality is rather "cheap" compared to a brand such as Mini, but the Abarth makes up for it when it comes to the engineering component. I've often stated that the Mini brand of vehicles feel like luxury cars that attempt to be sporty, while the Abarth feels like it embodies the soul of an actual sports car in miniature form.

The little vehicle is great fun, and I'd consider the engine very reliable. The factory exhaust sounds fantastic, and all build quality quirks aside it offers a very satisfying drive.

Unfortunately, James Hunt does have a point. The dealer network is absolutely terrible at the moment. If you can appreciate the car for what it is, considering its limitations and realizing it's a vehicle that drives fast, but it is not necessarily the fastest on the road, you'll greatly appreciate your purchase. Best of luck!

I'm not quite sure what people are referring to specifically when they say "the dealer network". Is it the number of dealers? What they have? What?

Depends on where you are as to what is going on with the dealers and the number of dealers there are. I'm currently in the San Francisco Bay Area and have six relatively close dealerships (at least). Southern California is chock full o' dealerships. Having many available can be nice. Or having just one good one is even better. Each dealership is different, no matter what the car brand, it's the people that make the dealership a good one.

Everyone can have a bad day. And sometimes people don't "mix" well, I had ONE service adviser at a Honda dealership I got along with, the rest I thought were twits. Not because they were twits, but because we just didn't mesh, mix well, relate on the same level. I always seek out "the good people" that I mesh with at any place I do business. Grocery store checkout clerks, some I'll avoid, totally and completely. Some I adore, they're so neat. I had MY parts guy at the Chevrolet dealership, and MY buddies at a repair shop, people to chat with.

As far as cheap or not cheap materials, I suppose we'd have to compare apples to apples. Right? What other cars out there are in the same price range that offer considerably better materials? And folks need to define what IS "better" and what is "quality" to answer this question. What is "better" to one person may be "worse" to another, like we had been talking about the interior of the 500L and how I had thought an all vinyl interior including floor would be useful and practical. That's a "better" interior to folks who might be bringing in water or mud or dirt to the interior. However, it was also considered "cheap" by someone else. They wouldn't buy a vinyl interior, and it doesn't matter how practical it is.

Sometimes "better" means practical. Sometimes "better" means comfort or luxury or costly materials or perception. "Better" can be just the pleasing of the senses, having a different color available to choose from.

Whatever car offers the "better" things, buy that car. Or have it done to your current car. Or wish for it and hope the manufacturer acts upon it. The manufacturer can't do a dang thing though if your wishes aren't heard, that means writing to them, posting on forums that they may read, etc. No manufacturer reads minds.

Resale value? Fiat doesn't HAVE a history with their current car. They aren't the darling of Consumer Reports or have Ralph Nader writing books about them. The value of the cars may go up or down as time goes on. If the cars for most people continue to be good cars, dependable, reliable, the resale value will go up. Because it is a good car. If doors and wheels start falling off, then the resale value will plummet.

The other automakers have built up reputations over a very long period of time in the US.

Also, various models may have more value in the long run. The Abarth may suffer more for resale, simply because of what people do with their cars. This doesn't mean all people take the Abarth to the track, but most folks buying a Fiat 500 aren't choosing an Abarth for grocery runs.

Just from the few Fiats I've seen on the road, each model has a distinctive driving style. Abarth is most zippy and loud. I had a Sport pass me on each side the other day on the freeway, and I was going plenty fast (speed limit). Meanwhile, the Pops and Lounges, we just kind of mellow cruise. The car that will be the least thrashed will be the mellow cruised cars. So is it the car or the owner that affects the resale value? It can be both.

And with all the stuff built into cars these days, there may come a time when we can look up the vehicle history as to HOW the car was driven. The Nav system in the 500L knows what the speed limit is and where you are. So when you go to buy a used car, you'll know if the car was constantly driven over the speed limit, and how fast, etc. Some of the things already check our driving habits, like the oil change light. It's supposed to come on when we need it, and not necessarily based solely on mileage.

I do a lot of thinking, it seems to be in short supply these days. LOL.

Where will you be parking and at what time? That's another thing to consider, due to common courtesy. There are only a couple of people with loud cars in the common parking garage for the apartment complex, but I can hear them, four floors above. It's unpleasant. If you're in equally close quarters, your neighbors may hate you. No matter what time you come and go, someone could be sleeping or napping. Yes, people do sleep in the day. All the night people that we depend on, like police, fire, hospital, emergency services, like the power guy working on lines in the middle of the night.

So, think a bit, about what you want, what you really need, how long you plan to own it, etc. Maybe go for a two year lease with option to buy. Maybe you're one who likes to try out many cars, so the lease option, and trying out a new something in a couple years would be "better".

Oh, Word?
10-18-2013, 07:59 AM
A lot of people have said the same things about the srt4. Everyone complained that it was still just a neon and the build quality was crap. The only issue I ever had with that car was a cam positioning sensor other than that it was a great car and with a few bolt ons pretty damn fast. I'm more worried about the dealership issues than the car itself. I've got two within a half hour from me and I think there's a third about an hour away. The fiat dealer I'm working with is also where I got my srt4 and they were pretty good to deal with the one time I had a warranty issue, but it was a 90 day used car warranty nearing its end when I had issues so they weren't super happy to fix it. I do like the fact that you don't see many of them around, just like my srt and s2000.

jguerdat
10-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Just another "FWIW" post...

I also came from an S2000 (AP1) as my previous autocross car. I have no problem recommending the Abarth to someone with that mindset since the S isn't exactly a luxury car by any stretch. I've had few problems with my car while I had a variety of issues with the S in the 12 years I owned it (my son owns it now). The local studio/dealership/service department would be the most important part - mine is fine but service needs to be separated from the Dodge dealership. Like anything else, you can get a lemon or have issues with a particular car and it depends on your threshold of "pain" relative to what you're willing to put up with as opposed to seeing it as a design or manufacturing flaw. These aren't anything other than an inexpensive performance car and I'm perfectly ok with that so noise/ride/NVH/etc. simply isn't an issue with me. I bought it to have fun and it does that very well, just differently.

ABARTH TAMER
10-18-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm not quite sure what people are referring to specifically when they say "the dealer network". Is it the number of dealers? What they have? What?

Depends on where you are as to what is going on with the dealers and the number of dealers there are. I'm currently in the San Francisco Bay Area and have six relatively close dealerships (at least). Southern California is chock full o' dealerships. Having many available can be nice. Or having just one good one is even better. Each dealership is different, no matter what the car brand, it's the people that make the dealership a good one.

Everyone can have a bad day. And sometimes people don't "mix" well, I had ONE service adviser at a Honda dealership I got along with, the rest I thought were twits. Not because they were twits, but because we just didn't mesh, mix well, relate on the same level. I always seek out "the good people" that I mesh with at any place I do business. Grocery store checkout clerks, some I'll avoid, totally and completely. Some I adore, they're so neat. I had MY parts guy at the Chevrolet dealership, and MY buddies at a repair shop, people to chat with.

As far as cheap or not cheap materials, I suppose we'd have to compare apples to apples. Right? What other cars out there are in the same price range that offer considerably better materials? And folks need to define what IS "better" and what is "quality" to answer this question. What is "better" to one person may be "worse" to another, like we had been talking about the interior of the 500L and how I had thought an all vinyl interior including floor would be useful and practical. That's a "better" interior to folks who might be bringing in water or mud or dirt to the interior. However, it was also considered "cheap" by someone else. They wouldn't buy a vinyl interior, and it doesn't matter how practical it is.

Sometimes "better" means practical. Sometimes "better" means comfort or luxury or costly materials or perception. "Better" can be just the pleasing of the senses, having a different color available to choose from.

Whatever car offers the "better" things, buy that car. Or have it done to your current car. Or wish for it and hope the manufacturer acts upon it. The manufacturer can't do a dang thing though if your wishes aren't heard, that means writing to them, posting on forums that they may read, etc. No manufacturer reads minds.

Resale value? Fiat doesn't HAVE a history with their current car. They aren't the darling of Consumer Reports or have Ralph Nader writing books about them. The value of the cars may go up or down as time goes on. If the cars for most people continue to be good cars, dependable, reliable, the resale value will go up. Because it is a good car. If doors and wheels start falling off, then the resale value will plummet.

The other automakers have built up reputations over a very long period of time in the US.

Also, various models may have more value in the long run. The Abarth may suffer more for resale, simply because of what people do with their cars. This doesn't mean all people take the Abarth to the track, but most folks buying a Fiat 500 aren't choosing an Abarth for grocery runs.

Just from the few Fiats I've seen on the road, each model has a distinctive driving style. Abarth is most zippy and loud. I had a Sport pass me on each side the other day on the freeway, and I was going plenty fast (speed limit). Meanwhile, the Pops and Lounges, we just kind of mellow cruise. The car that will be the least thrashed will be the mellow cruised cars. So is it the car or the owner that affects the resale value? It can be both.

And with all the stuff built into cars these days, there may come a time when we can look up the vehicle history as to HOW the car was driven. The Nav system in the 500L knows what the speed limit is and where you are. So when you go to buy a used car, you'll know if the car was constantly driven over the speed limit, and how fast, etc. Some of the things already check our driving habits, like the oil change light. It's supposed to come on when we need it, and not necessarily based solely on mileage.

I do a lot of thinking, it seems to be in short supply these days. LOL.

Where will you be parking and at what time? That's another thing to consider, due to common courtesy. There are only a couple of people with loud cars in the common parking garage for the apartment complex, but I can hear them, four floors above. It's unpleasant. If you're in equally close quarters, your neighbors may hate you. No matter what time you come and go, someone could be sleeping or napping. Yes, people do sleep in the day. All the night people that we depend on, like police, fire, hospital, emergency services, like the power guy working on lines in the middle of the night.

So, think a bit, about what you want, what you really need, how long you plan to own it, etc. Maybe go for a two year lease with option to buy. Maybe you're one who likes to try out many cars, so the lease option, and trying out a new something in a couple years would be "better".

Yes there is a noise factor to consider with the Abarth. My neighbor has a Harley so I try to point my exhaust towards him, while keeping the revs down when leaving in the early morning.

Fiat500USA
10-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Like anything else, you take people's comments on a forum with a grain of salt. Some have had issues, and they generally are the most vocal, talk the loudest and want to vent, etc. We have a lot of people here, though, that have had good experiences with their dealers, but most folks don't "vent' that. Naturally negative news sells and gets more attention, plus many don't want to chime in with "my car is great" when someone else is having a problem and is upset. Bottom line is some dealers suck and some don't.

I suggest basing your decision on what you like and want. Visit as many dealers as you can and get the feel for them. Hang out in service and listen. Read the forum to learn about the cars. Find a car you like and a dealer that has a good vibe going on and you'll be happy.

Robert Nixon
10-18-2013, 09:17 AM
I think you have to decide what you want to use the car for, and go from there.

I'm another happy Abarth driver, with over 19,000 trouble free miles. It's small, but it does have back seats and is plenty big enough for me. If you need more space, get a bigger car.

If you go with a FIAT, you just have to realize that they don't have as many dealers, or as many experienced mechanics around as anyone else. That either is important to you or not, it hasn't been an issue for me.

I've had a lot of fun autocrossing the Abarth, but I'm sure the S2000 is a great auto-X car too.

Your point about the warranty of a new car VS. an older car is a good one, and while the new car warranty is a plus, it probably ends up adding to the total cost of what you are paying for a car over your lifetime. On the other hand, if you can afford it, why not drive what you want.

modular
10-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Ha, I have a somewhat loud Harley AND the Abarth. That must make me a huge jackass. LOL

gtntahg
10-18-2013, 09:21 AM
My son has a 17 month old FIAT Sport with a 5-speed manual. It has 17,000 miles. I've got a 3 month old Abarth cabrio (base model/no frills) that I love. 7,000 miles and counting on that one (it's my DD). Neither car has had any issues.

We live in a large metropolitan area with four dealerships within a 40 mile radius of our house. He have just used one; it's not the closest but they did/do have the best selection of new vehicles. Our routine service visits have been completely painless. The service techs are knowledgable and well trained in FIAT. The cars have proven to be inexpensive to maintain.

As far as build quality goes, FIAT is known as an economy car manufacturer. This is clearly evident in the 500. It is not going to have the all of niceties of cars that cost more no matter how much you think it should. Knowing that going into 500 ownership will help; it's not a bargain-priced, "everyman's Ferrari." It's a FIAT. But what is there is well-thought out and well executed; not overly cheap looking or flimsy. Our cars have held up well.

I totally love my Abarth for the car it is - there's not much I would change inside or out. But if I did someday want to improve the car's handling or performance, there are a ton of FIAT 500-specific after-market suppliers who would be more than happy to help me out. My car has been one of the coolest cars I've ever owned and by far one of the most fun to drive, day in and day out. It's cheap to keep. All of that to me is good value for money. Whether or not the car will have good resale value is immaterial to me because I keep my cars a long time.

ABARTH TAMER
10-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Well said gtntahg! I too, own 2 of these 12 Pop and 13 Abarth. For the price, good value and fun.

FIAT if your listening, spend a couple of more bucks and upgrade the door panels!

Oh, Word?
10-18-2013, 10:38 AM
It's not that I need more space, I'm 25 and engaged with no kids so two seats is really all I need but a little extra room is more than welcome. It'd be nice to go food shopping or pick something up and not have to take the wife's car every time. I don't auto x or anything but I refuse to drive a car that feels boring. The wife's got a 10 carolla s and while she's in love with it I nearly fall asleep when I'm driving it. I've had a habit of getting rid of my cars within two years lately but most of it is because they have little issues that I don't want to deal with or like my current car it's got some not so savory body work done to it and being a body man it drives me nuts to look at every day. And being that its my day job I really don't wanna take the time to fix it off the clock. The idea of being the one and only person to have my car and know nothing's been messed with is great to me.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-18-2013, 10:53 AM

It's no secret that the interior panels of the Abarth scratch and scuff incredibly easy. Exterior paint issues have also been widely reported, so there's obviously a quality issue at hand. Whether it's a relevant concern to consider, I feel it reasonable to state that the cars could be built to a higher standard, maintaining current market price in mind.

In my case, the dealer network refers to the service departments and policies I've encountered at the various dealerships I've been to which hold the Fiat name. Yes, the employees present at each dealership will change the individual experience, but overall my personal experience has been a very upsetting and disappointing one. This has also been the case for many other owners.

If I had to recommend a Fiat based on the experience I've had at the dealerships, I wouldn't. Luckily, the value of the vehicle speaks for itself.

JoeB
10-18-2013, 11:17 AM
I've had my Abarth for 2 months and 3500 miles..no problems at all. I had more issues with a new 2006 Civic with that much time/mileage. No, it does not have a plush interior, but you already know that. It's very similar to the SRT4, which was a cheap-speed boosted economy car (I loved those things). What you get is a distinctive, slightly quirky, hilariously fun car to toss around which also has a surprising amount of room for stuff; more for you with the hardtop hatch than my Cabrio.

If someone who's done a lot of mods tells you the car is crap, it's good to remember you're not hearing about a stock Abarth. If you buy it then immediately start messing with it, you can expect to see more issues. The North American model has not been around long, and the jury is very much still out on how much you can do to it without screwing things up. If you want a fun brand new car with a new car warranty, I recommend leaving it alone for at least a year and just driving the stink out of it. I know enthusiast forums quickly build the bug for mods, but trust me, this thing is a huge amount of fun stone stock. Buy it. Drive it!

JoeB
10-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Oh, one more thing. Yes, you're right about Abarths being rare on the road so far. I never see another one, and mine gets a ridiculous amount of attention. Waves, honks, people in gas stations come up to talk...it's like walking a puppy in the park. This little sucker makes people smile. If you're shy, don't buy an Abarth! :eagerness:

modular
10-18-2013, 12:13 PM
It's not that I need more space, I'm 25 and engaged with no kids so two seats is really all I need but a little extra room is more than welcome. It'd be nice to go food shopping or pick something up and not have to take the wife's car every time.

How's about installing the completely reversible rear seat delete kit?? That's my plan.

musicsurf
10-18-2013, 01:20 PM
So I've been into the abarth since I first saw them and I'm finally at a point where I can get one. I've driven it about 5 times now, 2013 white base abarth as I don't care for any of the expensive frills. In the past 7 years I've owned a 24 valve vr6 GLi, an 05 srt4 and currently own a 05 s2000. Kinda sick of dealing with the two seater even if its admittedly the best car I've ever owned. Just wondering how people are liking them coming from a background of cars like I've had. Loved my srt to death as I'm a mopar man at heart but I caught the s2k bug and had to have it. I can get into the abarth for $9 more a month with 0 down and have a 4 year warranty, the s2k has 89k and could use some things before winter. Any input would be great. Thanks a lot, Jake.

I am over 17k miles in 5 months with my car and I love it. I had a problem early on and the dealership and Fiat were great in getting it taken care of. The dealer (both sales and service) being spoken of in the second post has TONS of positive feedback from many different people I know that purchased their Fiat from them. That ranges from service to aftermarket work. I have found that when I am in a problematic situation, how I am helped usually is a direct reflection of my attitude toward the situation. If I go in looking for help and being polite, I am usually met by someone willing to go the extra mile to reciprocate that attitude.

JoeB
10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
How's about installing the completely reversible rear seat delete kit?? That's my plan.

Eh, he just wants a place to drop the groceries..I usually toss mine on the back seat. If it's a really big haul I might fold them down and fill the whole hatch area. It's amazing how big this little car really is.

Oh, Word?
10-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Eh, he just wants a place to drop the groceries..I usually toss mine on the back seat. If it's a really big haul I might fold them down and fill the whole hatch area. It's amazing how big this little car really is.

Yeah pretty much what was I thinking. Might not have a baby to put back there but I've got plenty of friends and family to throw back there if I get stuck driving.

JoeB
10-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah pretty much what was I thinking. Might not have a baby to put back there but I've got plenty of friends and family to throw back there if I get stuck driving.

It'll fit two people in back in a pinch, but they'll need to be "25-year-old-people" size, and not planning a long trip. The car holds a lot of stuff, but when it comes to passengers it's best to think of the Abarth as a 2-seater that fakes as a 4-seater in emergencies. It's nice to know you can if you really need to, though.

Oh, Word?
10-18-2013, 02:06 PM
It'll fit two people in back in a pinch, but they'll need to be "25-year-old-people" size, and not planning a long trip. The car holds a lot of stuff, but when it comes to passengers it's best to think of the Abarth as a 2-seater that fakes as a 4-seater in emergencies. It's nice to know you can if you really need to, though.

Exact words I said to my fiancÚ. It's got four seats and people can be back there but not for any long amount of time. My brother has a mini s and that back seat gets pretty uncomfortable after about 45 minutes I'm gunna guess the abarth is the same. Luckily I'll be the one driving and not stuffed out back.

Andree
10-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Yes there is a noise factor to consider with the Abarth. My neighbor has a Harley so I try to point my exhaust towards him, while keeping the revs down when leaving in the early morning.

hahahahaha!!! Former spouse had a Harley, and while it was fun to ride on, it was just too loud. There are several distinctive-sounding vehicles in the area, like the Jeep with the big tires. It's not loud, it's just giant tire sounds.

We sometimes have the folks that are doing the group drives, whether Harley or the high-pitched import motorcycles, on the weekends. Everyone is having such a good time too, spirited young folks doing wheelies. Not on the Harleys. LOL.

I think what makes the "noise" so loud here is not only the construction of the building, but the fact that it can be completely quiet. Not a single sound. Like right now. No traffic or people sounds at all. No animal sounds, no nature sounds like rustling leaves. Silent.

Then there's a sudden sound, it's like someone leaping up and saying "BOO!".

Andree
10-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Ha, I have a somewhat loud Harley AND the Abarth. That must make me a huge jackass. LOL

I'm sure you're a wonderful person, I just don't want to live next to you. LOL.

Juair
10-18-2013, 10:09 PM
A lot of people have said the same things about the srt4. Everyone complained that it was still just a neon and the build quality was crap. Other than that it was a great car and with a few bolt ons pretty damn fast. I'm more worried about the dealership issues than the car itself.

100%% AGREED!!

I loved my old Neon SRT-4 and Caliber SRT-4!!

SilverBane
10-19-2013, 01:31 AM
I drove my wife's audi the last 2 days and I can say, I was estatic that I was back in my abarth tonight. It is not nearly as well built or as fancy, but it is fun to drive. I have had no issues so far, but I only have about 3k miles on it.

Oh, Word?
10-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Well after holding out on the dealer for two weeks I picked the car up today at 330. It was a fairly low pressure deal and they worked pretty hard for my sale. We came to an agreement on price Wednesday I got a call Thursday and asked about gap insurance and what that'd cost me and they came back with a number and I wasn't happy with it. They called me back and dropped it a few bucks and I said I'd think about it. Let them sit Friday and today got a call at noon saying if I would pick it up today they'd drop my interest rate and give me the gap for the payment amount we agreed at Wednesday. Drove off the lot at 10 miles just rolled 40 and I'm really happy with it. For about 3 minutes I was thinking maybe I made a mistake then I spooled it up 2nd to 3rd came to a stop light and listened to the burble and have been super happy since.

modular
10-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Congats brother! Drive it like ya stole it and have fun!!!

Tweak
10-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Congrats...that sound def helps remind one they've made a good choice. Remove the rear seats or put them down and let more sound come through. :cool:

ABARTH TAMER
10-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Enjoy. You did not make a mistake. Can't promise it will never have an issue, (mine has been problem free) but can guarantee you'll be asking your fiancÚ if she needs any errands run. Just don't promise you'll be right home!

wilbmeister
10-20-2013, 07:39 PM
I just got back from a 2700 mile trip with the car. My wife and I had plenty packed into it. Two medium sized suitcases, small duffel bag, camera backpack, computer bag, gifts for grandkids which included a small bike, small box of car accessories, bag of food and a cooler. I could still see out the back window. This car is comfortable to drive for that distance. There was no leg cramping or sore backs. All I did was fold down the back seats. It was also a fun 2700 miles.

I live 75 miles from my dealer. I've been able to work the routine maintenance into planned trips to the area where it is located. They have been good to work with and have a dedicated Fiat service area. I believe this is important for the dealership to have. I have noticed that there has been no real turnover in personnel. The sales, parts and service people have stayed the same. Another thing that I believe is important.

I also have a highly competent and trusted mechanic I can use back where I live. He is the type of guy who does his homework on the car before he takes something apart. He is who I used to install the few mods I have on my car and will be there to do the few more I have planned. If there was ever any problem with getting my car serviced at the dealer I know I have a place to go to.

tharvey13
10-31-2013, 10:05 AM
All I can say is that find people local to you and make sure the service department at the dealership is good. I moved and the dealer I have to use is such a nightmare it has made me hate my Abarth and if I could pay it off I would smash it to pieces with a sledge hammer. I love the car put if you don't have a competent service department near you avoid it at all costs because it will become a nightmare. I have asked Chrysler to replace it with a Dodge Dart just so I can go to a different Dealer. I hate that one dealer can make such an impact on a vehicle I absolutely love but it is the truth, even if I take it to a dealer an hour and a half away for service if there is a breakdown it has to be towed to the dealer closest to you so I won't be able to escape them.

The current issue I am dealing with started on 8/26/2013 and after 5 visits and 31 days at the dealer it is still not resolved. I have Chrysler Corporate involved and even they cannot believe how this dealer is behaving.

Andree
10-31-2013, 02:48 PM
All I can say is that find people local to you and make sure the service department at the dealership is good. I moved and the dealer I have to use is such a nightmare it has made me hate my Abarth and if I could pay it off I would smash it to pieces with a sledge hammer. I love the car put if you don't have a competent service department near you avoid it at all costs because it will become a nightmare. I have asked Chrysler to replace it with a Dodge Dart just so I can go to a different Dealer. I hate that one dealer can make such an impact on a vehicle I absolutely love but it is the truth, even if I take it to a dealer an hour and a half away for service if there is a breakdown it has to be towed to the dealer closest to you so I won't be able to escape them.

The current issue I am dealing with started on 8/26/2013 and after 5 visits and 31 days at the dealer it is still not resolved. I have Chrysler Corporate involved and even they cannot believe how this dealer is behaving.

So sad to hear. On the up side, as time goes on, the Fiat will be able to be serviced at independent shops. And can be now, apparently. I just did a quick Google search, and there are several independent shops stating they can/will work on the 500/Abarth.

You could try searching for "independent mechanics fiat 500" as I did, looking in your state or area, to at least avoid the problematic dealer for routine maintenance.

Maybe the dealer is as frustrated as you are because they can't track down the problem?

tharvey13
10-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Well I don't think the dealer cares at all, from the first time it was in 8/26/2013 until they finally replaced the turbo and I got it back on 10/8/2013 it took 3 visits and 31 days to correct it. Upon getting it back the body work on the front end was not put back together correctly and the side claddings they had replace were coming off this was noted to them on the 10/8/2013 and inspected on 10/9/2013 at which they ordered new claddings for the second time at the lowest priority they possibly could. When they finally came in I took the Abarth in on 10/30/2013 to hopefully finish this nightmare and they informed me that the clips on the front end were broken and needed to be ordered but the claddings were done. Upon picking it up the cladding on the drivers side was already pulling away and they has damaged the Abarth stripe. So I will be going back for a 6th visit, I have been working with Chrysler and they agree this is one of the worst dealerships around but since they are independently owned there is not much that can be done other than driving to another dealership out of state.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Well I don't think the dealer cares at all, from the first time it was in 8/26/2013 until they finally replaced the turbo and I got it back on 10/8/2013 it took 3 visits and 31 days to correct it. Upon getting it back the body work on the front end was not put back together correctly and the side claddings they had replace were coming off this was noted to them on the 10/8/2013 and inspected on 10/9/2013 at which they ordered new claddings for the second time at the lowest priority they possibly could. When they finally came in I took the Abarth in on 10/30/2013 to hopefully finish this nightmare and they informed me that the clips on the front end were broken and needed to be ordered but the claddings were done. Upon picking it up the cladding on the drivers side was already pulling away and they has damaged the Abarth stripe. So I will be going back for a 6th visit, I have been working with Chrysler and they agree this is one of the worst dealerships around but since they are independently owned there is not much that can be done other than driving to another dealership out of state.

That's really terrible to hear. Best of luck from here on in...