PDA

View Full Version : Why so many used with low miles?

lsusca
10-17-2013, 12:12 PM
I would really like to buy myself an Abarth but theres only one major thing that holds me back from going out and buying one. As I look around for one I would really like I am noticing that so many of the used ones are being sold with significantly low miles, less than 15 thousand I'd say. I am just confused as to why so many people are trading it in so early? I know the ride might be a little harsh and it may have some minor issues as any car does, but is that justification to get rid of the car?
Any incite would be appreciated.
Thanks

krayzielilsmoki
10-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Wow if they were available when I was shopping for a car I would be all over that deal!
I bought mine as soon as it came out and I cant imagine living without it, its truly a fun car.

ABARTH TAMER
10-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Those are track cars and vehicles from the Abarth experience.

Actually I have no idea. Could be people, that decide they need a larger car, or in this tough economy can't afford or get repo ed.

There is nothing wrong with the car, -reliable and fun!

djhace
10-17-2013, 12:39 PM
15k miles for a year, pretty normal.

shagghie
10-17-2013, 12:53 PM
if you find one you like with low mileage...grab it! I have 11k on mine now after 10 months. I'll be at 15 probably by the time the first year has gone by.

luka
10-17-2013, 01:09 PM
If you live in a city with a small commute to work that sounds about right. I have 8 months with mine, and I have 22k miles on it. All highway miles btw.

BigDaddySRT
10-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Lease Returns are pretty common.

I wouldn't ever buy a used ABARTH unless it came with a FIAT 50,000 Mile/ 4 Year Warranty.

ABARTH TAMER
10-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Lease Returns are pretty common.

I wouldn't ever buy a used ABARTH unless it came with a FIAT 50,000 Mile/ 4 Year Warranty.

They all do. It's transferable, unless the previous owner has done something to void the warranty and got caught.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-17-2013, 02:41 PM
I can't speak for what you may be encountering in the U.S., but I know in my area the quality of the Abarths (and other models) available seem to be hit or miss. Most seem reliably built, with the odd quirk or two, while others seem to encounter one documented issue after another.

I'd consider my vehicle to be one of the better ones, and yet I have already ran into these issues:
Pirelli tire defects, squeaky drivers seat, rapidly decreasing coolant, noisy suspension

These issues would already be enough to scare some people away after 15,000 miles of ownership. I also have the theory that many of these early sellers have enjoyed driving the car for the time they've owned it and are already set to move on to something new. The Abarth is a very fun car to drive, but it'll never offer the raw power of some other vehicle brands and models. They also lack the luxury features and feel that you'd find in vehicles such as Mini, or the aftermarket support you'd find for a brand such as Volkswagen.

In many ways the Abarth is a very unique vehicle, but you have to be prepared to accept its limitations if you intend to enjoy it fully for the many things it does right.

I wouldn't necessarily be hesitant to buy one, as every vehicle brand has its share of issues, but clarify whether the Fiat warranty would still be available to you, as I wouldn't purchase one without it.

lsusca
10-17-2013, 03:38 PM
This is exactly what I have been thinking concerning my original confusion, it just seems as though most people enjoy the car if they can get past a few of the small issues. For most people the pros seem to heavily outweigh the cons Hopefully in the near future I will purchase one and finally get to "join the club"
thanks!

Fiat500USA
10-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I think it is worth noting that a lot of Abarths (and other 500s, too) are bought by people who are well off. It is a fun car for them to enjoy and then they move on. We've also seen it here where members have enjoyed the car but then sold it for one reason or the other, none of them related to negative experiences. So I wouldn't hesitate buying a certified used one. A well maintained Abarth owned by an Adult would be a great buy!

Corrnaus
10-17-2013, 07:09 PM
I would really like to buy myself an Abarth but theres only one major thing that holds me back from going out and buying one. As I look around for one I would really like I am noticing that so many of the used ones are being sold with significantly low miles, less than 15 thousand I'd say. I am just confused as to why so many people are trading it in so early? I know the ride might be a little harsh and it may have some minor issues as any car does, but is that justification to get rid of the car?
Any incite would be appreciated.
Thanks

If you want to pick yourself up a used Abarth, this one is modded to the max.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?12139-FS-modified-2012-Fiat-500-Abarth

MikeThinks
10-17-2013, 07:55 PM
I have noticed that while there are not huge numbers of Abarths used out there, the ones that are available will have under 10k...many under 5k miles. It does have quite a bit to due with the car being a toy for some/3rd car. All I know is now that Im needing to buy one this weekend...AWESOMENESS!

littlejohn
10-17-2013, 08:19 PM
I've never really seen that many around that are 2nd hand, but there are many reg 500s for sale.

Abarth619
10-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Not everyone can handle the awesomeness and pure driving pleasure of the Abarth and just go back to the regular 500. Those owners are just overwhelmed and eventually figure out it's just too much car for them. ;)

Seafarer61
10-20-2013, 01:00 PM
I used to sell cars and the Abarth is what we used to call the perfect "impulse buy." They are so full of personality and performance, buyers who really should be looking at something else find themselves taken by them and jump on it. A year later, the honeymoon is over and they realize they should of bought a four-door grocery getter instead. This isn't unusual with cars like the Abarth.

mr_robs
10-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I can't speak for what you may be encountering in the U.S., but I know in my area the quality of the Abarths (and other models) available seem to be hit or miss. Most seem reliably built, with the odd quirk or two, while others seem to encounter one documented issue after another.

I'd consider my vehicle to be one of the better ones, and yet I have already ran into these issues:
Pirelli tire defects, squeaky drivers seat, rapidly decreasing coolant, noisy suspension

These issues would already be enough to scare some people away after 15,000 miles of ownership. I also have the theory that many of these early sellers have enjoyed driving the car for the time they've owned it and are already set to move on to something new. The Abarth is a very fun car to drive, but it'll never offer the raw power of some other vehicle brands and models. They also lack the luxury features and feel that you'd find in vehicles such as Mini, or the aftermarket support you'd find for a brand such as Volkswagen.

In many ways the Abarth is a very unique vehicle, but you have to be prepared to accept its limitations if you intend to enjoy it fully for the many things it does right.

I wouldn't necessarily be hesitant to buy one, as every vehicle brand has its share of issues, but clarify whether the Fiat warranty would still be available to you, as I wouldn't purchase one without it.

My drivers seat squeaks too! drives me mad when i dont have music on. What did you/the studio do to fix it?

Oh, Word?
10-20-2013, 02:37 PM
I looked at a fully loaded 2012 abarth with 7k on it but ended up getting a better deal on a new 2013. Granted its a base abarth but it also only had 10 miles on it and the entire warranty left. If the dealer would have worked with me I probably would have gone used but they wouldn't budge on the 19,900 they wanted nor would they give me what I wanted for a trade in on my car. Fiat gave me $1500 more than I was asking for my car and then took money off the abarth to get me into the car with the payments and interest rate I wanted. Took two weeks of haggling but in the end I got the car for the price I wanted and they moved stock.

JoeB
10-20-2013, 02:56 PM
A Ferrari guy told me Ferrari guys are buying Abarths as daily drivers. I presume the rash of used ones on the market means they decided they wanted a new color. ;-)

MAZ
10-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Not everyone can handle the awesomeness and pure driving pleasure of the Abarth and just go back to the regular 500. Those owners are just overwhelmed and eventually figure out it's just too much car for them. ;)
^lol.

I have a family member (w/ family of 4 people) who purchased a regular 500.
He bought the car as a 'novelty'/cool/new/micro commuter car, and not for practicality in his case (family of 4).
When the 'novelty' factor wore off, he came to terms with the fact that a 500 didn't fit his family.
He reluctantly sold the 500 after a year of ownership and bought a jeep.

FiatCares
10-21-2013, 10:40 AM
I looked at a fully loaded 2012 abarth with 7k on it but ended up getting a better deal on a new 2013. Granted its a base abarth but it also only had 10 miles on it and the entire warranty left. If the dealer would have worked with me I probably would have gone used but they wouldn't budge on the 19,900 they wanted nor would they give me what I wanted for a trade in on my car. Fiat gave me $1500 more than I was asking for my car and then took money off the abarth to get me into the car with the payments and interest rate I wanted. Took two weeks of haggling but in the end I got the car for the price I wanted and they moved stock.

Good deal..enjoy!