PDA

View Full Version : What to buy? New or used opinions.

Fiatfan522
10-16-2013, 09:15 PM
So I've been in love with the 500 for some time now, especially the Abarth and the Turbo. After buying a house put my purchase of a 500 on hold for several months I'm finally ready to get one. I find this forum and it's members to be very helpful and knowledgable so I've come for some advice. Here goes. I'm not sure if I should buy new or used. I am not looking for general opinions on the concept of a new or used purchase. I've owned enough cars in my life to not need advice in that area. What I am looking for is advice specifically regarding the Abarth. I know mechanically the 2012 and 2013 are the same, but what about build quality/reliability? I'm looking at a couple Chrysler executive used vehicles so does anyone have any info or thoughts on those? Also what is depreciation looking like on these cars? Any other opinions on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I trust you Abarth owners out there have lots to share. Hope it will help me in my decision. I absolutely love these cars! Thanks.

ABARTH TAMER
10-16-2013, 10:55 PM
I have a 2013 Abarth my wife has a '12 Pop. Both have been great. The Abarth has 0 problems after 5200 miles. The Pop
Had a rattle in the hatch and a squeaky armrest. Fixed at the dealer, no further problems. I think build quality on '13s a little better. New used you wont go wrong with an Abarth. Common theme is on the forum, this is a fun engaging car.

Abarth619
10-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Personally if you can I'd get a 2013. I've read that 2012s may have some first year model kinks. Not huge issues, but if I had a choice, I'd pay a little more for a 2013. I'm sure lots of members here have had great experiences with their 2012s though.

Abarth Phreak
10-17-2013, 12:22 AM
I think you already have your answer, but you need to go back to the root of your question....new or used, which has nothing to do with your second question of 2012 or 2013. 2012s had kinks, but if you are buying from a dealer should be corrected before the sale, but can you find a low mileage vehicle you can live with? 2013s are better overall, but you never know the history of a used car anyway. You will always wonder if it was one of us who raced or autocrossed it...:wink:. New...you know exactly what you are getting.

New 2013 though will set you farther back and since it sounds like you are a payment buyer you need to consider this as a want not a need. I would look into a good used 2013 at a great deal. Yes the 2012 is cheaper, but it may be a bit more difficult to find a 2012 that you would be comfortable with right? No matter what year you may decide for a used car, ask the dealer "how much they are in the car for"... (How much they paid plus reconditioning) so you can give a fair offer. If they do not show you...WALK AWAY!!!! It usually means there is so much cushion they are not showing you they ripped off the previous owner and will be trying to rip you too. A good dealer will share the information and let you at least try to give a reasonable and fair offer. I would study the KBBs to understand the sales expectations and be prepared when you are ready.

littlejohn
10-17-2013, 08:22 PM
I'd say with the large number of new ones sitting on lots, maybe new one? What I did anyway. Make them an offer.

Fiatfan522
10-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for your opinions so far. Seems to agree with what i thought already. The 2012's may have afew more kinks than the 2013's related to quality control. Also with a used car like the Abarth it has a higher likelihood of being abused due to the type of car it is. I don't think for the small difference between new and used I'd be willing to live with the "what if's" of this type of used car. Plus the point was made that there are still tons of new cars that have been on lots all year. Any thoughts on why these cars aren't moving? Besides being such a focused market fo the Abarth. Anybody getting any stinky good deals on the 2013 Abarths? I'd imagine the dealers are going to have to do something with these cars if they want to sell them.

Abarth619
10-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks to everyone for your opinions so far. Seems to agree with what i thought already. The 2012's may have afew more kinks than the 2013's related to quality control. Also with a used car like the Abarth it has a higher likelihood of being abused due to the type of car it is. I don't think for the small difference between new and used I'd be willing to live with the "what if's" of this type of used car. Plus the point was made that there are still tons of new cars that have been on lots all year. Any thoughts on why these cars aren't moving? Besides being such a focused market fo the Abarth. Anybody getting any stinky good deals on the 2013 Abarths? I'd imagine the dealers are going to have to do something with these cars if they want to sell them. I was able to get $2500 off mine, but I've read people have done better. It seems to differ somewhat, depending on the dealer and location. I'm pretty sure they want to move those 2013s pretty badly.

Fiatfan522
10-18-2013, 03:56 PM
I've been looking at a dealer that has had them discounted since the winter. I guess they may be willing to do more discounts if they aren't moving. Was your's base or did it have options when you got your discount?

james4513
10-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Bought a 2012 used last February. Had 9K miles, 23K now; zero problems. Great car. Bought from a nice young man in Utah (I live in Austin) who needed to sell for $19.5K with a few nice mods he had made. Based on my experience, highly recommend used and 2012. Good luck!

Fiatfan522
10-21-2013, 09:09 AM
My other question would have to do with used Chrysler executive vehicles. My cousin bought a used VW GTI that was an executive vehicle and it's been great for him. Does anyone have any experience with the Abarths in that situation? Are they usually well taken care of? And also what are folks paying for used Abarths that have bought one recently? I've seen a few in my area with low miles for around $18K, but with new ones starting at $22K without discounts I didn't know if I could expect to get a used one for less? I'll try to negotiate regardless on the used ones, but input would be great.