PDA

View Full Version : Built in dual USB changer for 500L

jabird101
10-16-2013, 08:32 PM
I, like many folks, have two cell phones. My personal Galaxy S3 and a work iPhone 5. I was tired of using a dual plug charger and having the cords drape across the cup holders and get tangled up in the shifter. I decided to do something about it. I looked for a useless area of plastic on the center console that was easy to remove and had at least 2 inches of air behind it. I found it in that little shelf under the arm rest. It is completely useless as a tray to hold, well, anything. I put some change in there once and it slid out on the first gentle turn.
On that large online retailer, I found a panel mount dual USB charger made for marine use. I plunked down my $19.79 and with my Prime account had it in two days. I then pulled out that odd little shelf and went to work. It is real easy to pull out. I used a plastic putty knife to pry the top corners loose, and then lifted it straight out.
I used a 1-1/8" hole saw to drill a hole exactly 1-3/8" inch from the right side. I has to be located here due to aluminum structure for the arm rest. Even in this location it is best to use either right angled crimp connectors or solder the wires shrink wrap them and bend them at right angles to avoid chafing.
I then used some hookup wire and automotive wire loom to protect the wire and route it up to the cigarette lighter socket in the cup holder. Tap into the Black wire for ground and the Purple wire for switched 12 volt.
Snap every thing back together, and I now have the ability to charge both phones without wires all over the console. I have a Arkon flexible phone holder mounter to the front seat bolt that holds my primary phone nicely over the hand brake without the cord mess. This same socket could be used for any car, but his is how I put it in my 500L. I use the USB port in the dash for a 250 GB hard drive to hold all of my music. I use a right angle USB cord and hide the drive in my dash.

Tweak
10-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Nicely presented, stickied. :)

Luv2byte
10-17-2013, 01:21 AM
Nice. We use a low profile dual USB charger that plugs into the "lighter". $3 on eBay.

Your Arkon flexible neck holder - I ordered on, love the idea of it hovering around the area of the ebrake - how & where did you attach it? The neck on the one we got isn't long enough to reach the bolt on seat track. Did you screw it into the floor instead?

This is the one we ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042FZ9KK/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jabird101
10-17-2013, 08:42 AM
The holder works well. It does make you reach differently to put int into gear. The lower mount has to be trimmed down to fit the seat bolt. If you don't trim it down the seat bolt will only clamp down on the tips of the fork. I just used a hack saw to trim it to the same width as the bent part of the lower mount. I have a different phone holder than the mount comes with. My wife has a galaxy Note and an different Arkon mount and we swapped since it fits her bigger phone better, but that is the same kit I used.

Luv2byte
10-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Thank you! I never thought to look at driver front right, I automatically went to passenger side & that seat bolt is back way too far. Also the issue of it not fitting in the channel of the seat rail due to holder width. Hubby forgot to being home his set of tools that work on these bolts but he has a grinder at work so he's going to use it to file where your arrows are. I'm excited!

jabird101
10-17-2013, 07:57 PM
The seat bolts are a torx (Star) T-40 size.

Luv2byte
10-18-2013, 10:01 PM
I simply went to the passenger seat when I first tried installing the Arkon mount, quickly learning the bolt is too far back. Thanks to this thread we tried the driver's seat rail tonight (duh). We didn't file down the edges of the bracket, we'll see how it goes like this first.

We removed the finish cap on the rail, gave us a but more room for the mount to reach the bolt. The screws on the mounting arm to mounting base get in the way of the rail a bit so we used one screw & zip tied it for now, seems to work well. Adjusted the placement, not too much in the way of shifting, nice placement for view without any major issues..tomorrow when we run to town I"ll see how it works in real use, not just sitting the garage.

Here is our finished result.

8192. 8193. 8194. 8195

jabird101
10-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Looks good it takes a few days of living with it to fibd the "perfect" spot. A good mount just makes life easier.

Luv2byte
10-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Looks good it takes a few days of living with it to fibd the "perfect" spot. A good mount just makes life easier.

No kidding! I've tried 4-5 types so far & two more came in the mail today. I'm glad I saw this post to know to keep trying & get more creative. Only thing that would be good is if the mounting fork was a bit longer, it really is designed as if the bolt is readily accessible without any limiting factors such as rails.