PDA

View Full Version : Say what???

dichiee
10-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Wow our car is #9 on Car and Driver's "Top 10 Ugliest Cars for Sale Today"

Who writes these articles???

redred
10-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Can't say I am all that surprised. Several people seem to think it's not a very good looking car. The other issue is, it doesn't really photograph well for some odd reason. When I first saw pics of it I thought it was terrible. Seeing it in person completely changes the look of the car to me.

shagghie
10-16-2013, 06:28 PM
It's also on a list for top 10 sporty cars under $25k or something too.... Pfffft.. journalism is dead.

Wow our car is #9 on Car and Driver's "Top 10 Ugliest Cars for Sale Today"

Who writes these articles???

Tweak
10-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Can't say I am all that surprised. Several people seem to think it's not a very good looking car. The other issue is, it doesn't really photograph well for some odd reason. When I first saw pics of it I thought it was terrible. Seeing it in person completely changes the look of the car to me.

I am completely surprised, everyone is always saying how cute it is I cannot imagine it being one of the ugliest. :confused:

ABARTH TAMER
10-16-2013, 07:45 PM
This is the 500L. Like the front, not crazy about the A pillar or side profile.

Tweak
10-16-2013, 08:49 PM
This is the 500L. Like the front, not crazy about the A pillar or side profile.

Thanks. I click to view New Posts since my last visit and occasionally I don't always realize which forum I am in when I am going through the pages.

Well everything I have heard of the L so far has been positive too, I mean people that know me and see my car ask if I have seen the cool looking new 4 door version. I guess to each their own right? I do think it is nicer in person than in pics as Stacey mentioned.

Felnus
10-17-2013, 12:54 AM
The L looks much better in person that it does in pictures. It is a very impressive vehicle in my opinion.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-17-2013, 12:58 AM
NEVER will it look ugly again compared to this:

http://www.bestcarsguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/fiat-multipla.jpg

shadyabarth
10-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Who cares what the press says..Many cars in the past have been deemed "ugly" and now are a cult hit..Ie: (1999-2002 BMW M Coupes)

Curious
10-17-2013, 07:47 PM
NEVER will it look ugly again compared to this:

http://www.bestcarsguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/fiat-multipla.jpg

Holy cow! What was someone thinking when they built this ugly beast? Perhaps they were trying to one up on the Pontiac Aztek? It's a toss up as to who won they one. Is this thing a Fiat? Oops!

ScorpionSkins.com
10-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Holy cow! What was someone thinking when they built this ugly beast? Perhaps they were trying to one up on the Pontiac Aztek? It's a toss up as to who won they one. Is this thing a Fiat? Oops!

Yes indeed! :) The Fiat Multipla. It's not much to look at, but quite roomy inside. (It has two rows of 3 seats, which is interesting):

http://www.autowp.ru/pictures/fiat/multipla/autowp.ru_fiat_multipla_4.jpg

Curious
10-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Ok the interior looks very nice. Cool feature is that the middle front seat can be folded down to provide an arm rest for driver and front passenger,,plus drink holders for them. But the exterior is just plain yuk to me. But hey this is just my humble opinion. Certain others may like it.

Andree
10-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Oooh, love the interior. And while the exterior is somewhat awkward with the bulbous area at the base of the windshield with the headlights or turn signals, I like the low doors/high driving position. I like to drive with my arm resting on top of the door when the windows are down. Cars just aren't made that way anymore, with the low doors.

I especially like the colors of the interior.

Curious
10-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Kinda makes one wonder what other cars Fiat will bring to the USA other than the 7 seat 500L. A 2 seat sports car/drop top would sell well. Yes I know about the high dollar Alfa Romeo on the way. They need something low price range to compete with cars like the Mazda Miata.

Andree
10-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Kinda makes one wonder what other cars Fiat will bring to the USA other than the 7 seat 500L. A 2 seat sports car/drop top would sell well. Yes I know about the high dollar Alfa Romeo on the way. They need something low price range to compete with cars like the Mazda Miata.

I agree.

You've seen this concept car from students?: http://www.sidewaysat11.com/fiat-500-bella-vista-concept-bugattis-carrera-gts-unborn-child/

That would sell. Although I don't care for the head bumps (whatever they're called). Would prefer the standard soft top with optional hard top as opposed to power hard top, like the weird Mini has. That would allow for an actual trunk space. Would also like a little behind the seat platform, as I had in the MG Midget, just right for grocery bags, duffel bags, backpacks, whatever.

They could have a hard body part that flips up behind the seats, so the vinyl roof could fold down, and then push the flap back in place, keeping the car clean looking. And keeping the convertible top clean too.

I believe they could use many current body parts to create the new two-seater. The whole front end and rear bumper area can be imported from any/all the current models. Oh, new windshield, well, at least the front bumper part. They have the Abarth/Turbo looking bumpers on the concept. And I definitely like the center single exhaust. Updating the lower panels wouldn't be too hard. They could use the same seats and dash too.

I don't care for the current convertible simply because of the visibility when the top is completely down, and the "hit-you-in-the-face" trunk flap. I had that on my VW Cabriolet, and the cargo space became useless when my back went. Too much bending and twisting was/is painful. A real trunk however, that would work for me. Having no rear visibility is simply not acceptable to me. I was driving behind a 500 Lounge convertible and could not see the driver or the rear view mirror from behind, which means he couldn't see me either in that mirror.

Curious
10-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Wow that is one cool looking car Andree. I had never seen that one. I like the hard folding top on the Miata. Any thief can cut into a rag top to break into a car, harder to do with a steel folding top. The Miata's top function is simple, not much in the way of motors to make it work. However the VW Eos has way too many motors to break, very expensive repair.

Main drawback for the Miata is no spare, no place to even put one.

The Fiat roadster may have pop up roll bars behind the seats. That may be why the bulge is there, kinda looks nice to me. I agree, gotta have room for a useful trunk, easy to get into, and don't forget to make room for a spare.

Would be great if they sold that car here, 3 versions: hard top, folding hard top, a canvas top just for Andree.

Andree
10-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Curious, it would be a slick body style for the electric version too, with the battery being low and centered.

If the concept is the same wheelbase as the regular 500s (it looks shorter, though), there'd be a huge trunk area. All of the current cargo space AND the back seat area would be available for luggage, groceries, a full-size spare, etc.

It appears to have much lower seats though, and may have limited leg room or head room.

I'm sure Fiat could do something somewhat similar though. Using most of the parts they have already, to create something that is both the same and completely different from current models.

I would have considered the soft top option IF the soft top was more like the old Fiats, leaving the hatch portion intact. That would give the necessary visibility I really want/need, with the hatch that I also need. It's the little flap trunk area that I just cannot do anymore. I had the VW for many years, and it worked fine for me when my back was pain-free.

I just don't care for the look of the hardtop, like the Mini Coupe: http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniusa/en/model/coupe.html

This looks okay: http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniusa/en/model/roadster.html

Until I look at the price. I'm not paying that. And they won't let me totally beige-out the interior. And they don't have any good colors. Fiat could easily make their convertible for much less.

Curious
10-19-2013, 09:56 AM
I sat in a mini 2 seater when they first came out, had a heck of a time looking back between the 2 headrests. I like to have lots of rear visibility, could not settle for the little visibility I had with that car. But hey it sure has good looks.