PDA

View Full Version : SCCA announces Street Category for 2014

Robert Nixon
10-16-2013, 01:47 PM
http://www.scca.com/solo/news.cfm?cid=51652

For 2014 they will start the new Street category for UTQ 140 and higher tires, and then in 2015 it will go up to UTQ 200 and higher. Also, for 2014 they will run Stock classes just like this year, which must mean racing compound tires are OK. For a generic Stock Abarth like me, I guess we have to choose between basically two identical categories for next year only, Stock or Street, although of course like this year if there is a driver with Hoosiers in Stock it would be smarter to move over to Street.

I just put on a new set of 17 inch wheels and the Dunlop Direzza IIs, so I'm really looking forward to the last couple of autocross events this year, and then sticking with them in Street next year, since the Dunlops are UTQ 200.

This has been the most fun to be driving in autocross this year, and thanks to everyone else on the forum here that have been sharing their experience also.

From the link:

"Tires in the Street Category must fit the following specifications:

1. Effective 1/1/14 – Minimum UTQG tread wear rating of 140
2. Effective 1/1/15 – Minimum UTQG tread wear rating of 200
3. Molded tread depth of 7/32” or greater as specified by the manufacturer
4. Listed in a current year of prior two years of the “Tire Guide” and/or “Tread Design Guide”
5. Department of Transportation (DOT) approved

The class will allow sway bars on the front or rear, and have a wheel diameter allowance of plus or minus one inch. Despite earlier proposals, there will be no camber allowances via camber plates, bolts or slotting."

shagghie
10-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Easily shaved 4-5 seconds off a 60 second course going to the 215/40/17 ZII's vs. the 17" OEM pirelli's... ENJOY AND HOLD ON TIGHT!

http://www.scca.com/solo/news.cfm?cid=51652

For 2014 they will start the new Street category for UTQ 140 and higher tires, and then in 2015 it will go up to UTQ 200 and higher. Also, for 2014 they will run Stock classes just like this year, which must mean racing compound tires are OK. For a generic Stock Abarth like me, I guess we have to choose between basically two identical categories for next year only, Stock or Street, although of course like this year if there is a driver with Hoosiers in Stock it would be smarter to move over to Street.

I just put on a new set of 17 inch wheels and the Dunlop Direzza IIs, so I'm really looking forward to the last couple of autocross events this year, and then sticking with them in Street next year, since the Dunlops are UTQ 200.

This has been the most fun to be driving in autocross this year, and thanks to everyone else on the forum here that have been sharing their experience also.

From the link:

"Tires in the Street Category must fit the following specifications:

1. Effective 1/1/14 – Minimum UTQG tread wear rating of 140
2. Effective 1/1/15 – Minimum UTQG tread wear rating of 200
3. Molded tread depth of 7/32” or greater as specified by the manufacturer
4. Listed in a current year of prior two years of the “Tire Guide” and/or “Tread Design Guide”
5. Department of Transportation (DOT) approved

The class will allow sway bars on the front or rear, and have a wheel diameter allowance of plus or minus one inch. Despite earlier proposals, there will be no camber allowances via camber plates, bolts or slotting."

jguerdat
10-17-2013, 10:00 AM

I'm really disappointed in this part when the rest of the rules seem to be aiming at returning to more like what's run on the street. Who in the hell runs custom valved, double-adjustable shocks other than hard-core autocrossers pushing the limits of the rules? There's all kinds of other classes for this sort of nonsense.

jguerdat
10-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Also, for 2014 they will run Stock classes just like this year, which must mean racing compound tires are OK. For a generic Stock Abarth like me, I guess we have to choose between basically two identical categories for next year only, Stock or Street, although of course like this year if there is a driver with Hoosiers in Stock it would be smarter to move over to Street.

Here's the pertinent part for R comps:

"In addition to the new Street Category, for 2014, the current Stock Category will remain in place and be renamed the Street-R category. All 2013 Stock classes will become Street-R (SR) classes and follow the rules which were in place for Stock at the end of 2013. For 2015, the Street-R category will be reduced to a single class, Super Street R, for high horsepower machines."

So, there will essentially be dueling classes for "stock" cars for 2014, I assume to allow folks to get used to the new rules as well as to give time to sort out classing.

Dean2
10-17-2013, 01:25 PM
I completely agree that they should have included the camber adjustment in the rules. It's cheap and makes autocrossing more fun. Other than that, I really like the idea. I never understood throwing a set of Hoosiers on your car and calling it "stock."

cy-clone33
10-19-2013, 03:06 PM
I don't see where the abarth is allowed anywhere except in STC I tried to enter my car in stock and they wont allow it, can you please elaborate thanks

jguerdat
10-19-2013, 05:10 PM
See my reply in your other thread. Basically, it hasn't been classed anyplace AFAIK. Since the base 500 can't run in stock or the new street classes, it will take a separate determination as to where to allow it. Your best bet is likely to be a letter to the SEB to ask for classification. If you're a member, use the form at http://crbscca.com or email Tech@scca.com to start.

Dean2
10-20-2013, 04:04 PM
The Abarth is currently G Stock per the June 2012 Fasttrack.

abarth&911
10-20-2013, 04:15 PM

You will like them, try 38-40psi front and 30 rear, that’s work good for me.
Let us how you like them after your event next week.

Robert Nixon
10-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Abarth&911,
thanks for the tip, looking forward to autocross this coming Sunday