PDA

View Full Version : New 500e Problem

baritoneplayer
10-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Last Friday afternoon, I had just driven off the freeway and was around the corner from my house when my 500e suddenly lurched once and came to a stop! The "powerplant failure" light appeared on the main display. I was able to restart the vehicle and drive to my house! When I shut off the motor the warning displayed again! Saturday, and two tow services later (no towing hooks on the vehicle) it was towed to Fiat of Fresno (60 miles away)! This all happened with barely 1200 miles on the odometer! Yesterday, while in Fresno I stopped by and spoke with Jeff, a service advisor who told me the "powerplant failure" was unrelated to the resent recall (which they have taken care of yesterday) but error codes appearing during the diagnostic indicates an inverter failure occurred. Jeff tells me that they have not seen this type of failure before and have called Fiat for guidance on how to repair the car! I am hoping they can repair this soon as I am now back to driving my Chevy Avalance at 14 miles per gallon! Also, I was not offerred a rental car to use while the car is being repaired! Very frustrated right now!

rnddude
10-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Please keep us posted on this!!!

Tweak
10-16-2013, 08:32 PM
I would think you would have at least gotten a rental for free, I know I get that if needed with my dealer. I would send a PM to FiatCares (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares) (Jonathan) who works for FIAT HQ and may be able to assist you with things.

FiatCares
10-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Last Friday afternoon, I had just driven off the freeway and was around the corner from my house when my 500e suddenly lurched once and came to a stop! The "powerplant failure" light appeared on the main display. I was able to restart the vehicle and drive to my house! When I shut off the motor the warning displayed again! Saturday, and two tow services later (no towing hooks on the vehicle) it was towed to Fiat of Fresno (60 miles away)! This all happened with barely 1200 miles on the odometer! Yesterday, while in Fresno I stopped by and spoke with Jeff, a service advisor who told me the "powerplant failure" was unrelated to the resent recall (which they have taken care of yesterday) but error codes appearing during the diagnostic indicates an inverter failure occurred. Jeff tells me that they have not seen this type of failure before and have called Fiat for guidance on how to repair the car! I am hoping they can repair this soon as I am now back to driving my Chevy Avalance at 14 miles per gallon! Also, I was not offerred a rental car to use while the car is being repaired! Very frustrated right now!

Yes, feel free to PM me with your VIN and advise how long the vehicle will be down. Rent a vehicle as needed, then fax me the rental invoice and proof of payment. I will tel;l you the fax number in the PM reply

FiatCares
10-17-2013, 12:07 PM
I would think you would have at least gotten a rental for free, I know I get that if needed with my dealer. I would send a PM to FiatCares (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares) (Jonathan) who works for FIAT HQ and may be able to assist you with things.

Thanks Tweak.

I havent heard from baritoneplayer, but I reached out to him. Im sure I could help with a rental.But it prob wont be a 500E

Tweak
10-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks Tweak.

I havent heard from baritoneplayer, but I reached out to him. Im sure I could help with a rental.But it prob wont be a 500E

Thank you Jonathan. ;)

baritoneplayer
10-17-2013, 10:19 PM
The dealership is going to work on setting up a rental for me here in Merced.