PDA

View Full Version : Big Daddies Mini Cel Cat O2 Sensor Spacer

Abarth Five O
10-14-2013, 09:23 PM
I am contemplating purchasing the BD mini cat to eliminate the P0420 CEL Code which is being triggered from my recently installed R/R HF Cel Cat DP.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

I'm a little apprehensive placing an order with BD (even though it's only $50) as I had emailed them a few weeks ago but have not yet received a reply. I recall some of the TMC DP group buyers used this product with mixed reviews. Feedback from any one with actual experience using this product will be greatly appreciated.

whatebahw
10-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Isn't this the DP with High flow cat that is marketed as not causing a CEL?

shagghie
10-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Isn't this the DP with High flow cat that is marketed as not causing a CEL?

^^^this. If it's the 200 cell, I thought the whole point was that it didn't cause a CEL. Only the catless should throw CELs....IIRC.

musicsurf
10-15-2013, 06:32 PM
The RRM dp throws codes for some and not for others.

deathshead
10-16-2013, 09:46 AM
The Elusive "Electronic o2 simulator"

Many vendors say they are working on it for almost a year now.

Anything else is just a bandaid, has been hit or miss, and will still eventually pop CEL again,

Yorkman1
10-18-2013, 01:47 PM
I picked up one of big daddy's thread in o2 foulers. Worked 99% with no cat so with a 200 cell you should be fine. It was <20$ if I remember correctly. I don't have the part work with me at work but shoot me a msg of u want to know more and I'll look when I get home

Abarth Five O
10-18-2013, 05:07 PM
I picked up one of big daddy's thread in o2 foulers. Worked 99% with no cat so with a 200 cell you should be fine. It was <20$ if I remember correctly. I don't have the part work with me at work but shoot me a msg of u want to know more and I'll look when I get home

The price of BD mini cell cat spacer in the above link is advertised at $49.95 and the one used by a few of the TMC open DP group buyers with limited success. The $20 one you mentioned could be a different one.

trevc
10-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Got a P0420 within the first 10 miles after installing my RRM high flow CAT. I just placed an order for BigDaddies mini cat. Hopefully this will fix it.

Abarth Five O
10-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Got a P0420 within the first 10 miles after installing my RRM high flow CAT. I just placed an order for BigDaddies mini cat. Hopefully this will fix it.

Decided to wait for R/R electronic cel eliminator to be released shortly. Very interested to hear your results.

trevc
10-30-2013, 09:28 PM
The big daddies garage minicat arrived today. I installed it this evening and did a 54 mile run and so far no codes. I was getting them after approx 10 miles so I am hoping this is the permanent fix.

Abarth Five O
10-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Good news, Trevor, thanks for your feedback! Please keep us posted.

trevc
11-03-2013, 10:22 AM
With the bigdaddiesgarage minicat in no more P0420 but now I am getting P0139 and P0141 codes after about 100 miles.
I did read on some forums that it can take a few hundred miles for the minicat to burn in so I will see how it goes.

Hopefully RRM will have the electronic solution out soon.

dylansi
11-03-2013, 12:49 PM
After looking up what those codes are for, I wonder if your sensor didnt get damaged? Or if the BD garage sensor is actually too much "fixing"? Does the car run any different? Thanks for being the beta on this!

Also do you have your DP heat wrapped or the pipe right off the DP wrapped?

Abarth Five O
11-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Trevc, sorry to hear about those new codes with BD mc. What the hay? :sad:

For the benefit of the forum:

P0139: 02 Sensor circuit slow response, Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0141: 02 Sensor heater circuit, Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0420: Catalyst system efficiency below threshold, Bank 1 Sensor 2

Dylansi also posed some good questions to possibly get rid of those new codes. Replace possible faulty 02 sensor and/or heat wrap DP/MP might be the fix? I dunno, it's frustrating as hell to say the least. In any event, thank you for taking the initiative to try this potential fix for the benefit of all of us!!

R/R electronic cel eliminator is probably our best bet to fix the cels.

trevc
11-03-2013, 05:54 PM
I don't believe the sensor is damaged. I think the minicat is too much of a fix.
I got another p0139 today. Both times it came up after an approx. 40 mile freeway trip with cruise on around 75. Soon as I slow down to exit the freeway it triggered. I have the pipe wrapped from the CAT to the 2nd 02 sensor.
I may try the bigdaddie 90 degree elbow instead of the minicat to see if that is better. Will leave it as is for now.

The car is running great; everybody at autocross yesterday and today commented on how much better the car sounds and they all loved it before I changed the DP!
My butt dyno can't detect any change in power or response though.

After looking up what those codes are for, I wonder if your sensor didnt get damaged? Or if the BD garage sensor is actually too much "fixing"? Does the car run any different? Thanks for being the beta on this!

Also do you have your DP heat wrapped or the pipe right off the DP wrapped?

shagghie
11-04-2013, 12:54 AM
I don't believe the sensor is damaged. I think the minicat is too much of a fix.
I got another p0391 today. Both times it came up after an approx. 40 mile freeway trip with cruise on around 75. Soon as I slow down to exit the freeway it triggered. I have the pipe wrapped from the CAT to the 2nd 02 sensor.
I may try the bigdaddie 90 degree elbow instead of the minicat to see if that is better. Will leave it as is for now.

The car is running great; everybody at autocross yesterday and today commented on how much better the car sounds and they all loved it before I changed the DP!
My butt dyno can't detect any change in power or response though.

So I gotta ask... No warnings from the sound meter guy?
Today we had a catless BRZ get DQ'd for 93db.

trevc
11-04-2013, 09:43 AM
We don't have sound meter guys out here. This ain't California!!

fastgascar
03-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Big Daddies mini cat did correct the P0420 Code, however sad to report that the P0139 and P0141 is causing my CEL to come on also. What if I have another 02 bung welded pre-cat and put a bolt in the post 02 bung, wonder if it would still throw a code.

ivmill
03-06-2014, 04:00 PM
I got another p0139 today. Both times it came up after an approx. 40 mile freeway trip with cruise on around 75. Soon as I slow down to exit the freeway it triggered. I have the pipe wrapped from the CAT to the 2nd 02 sensor.

Has anybody gone down the angled route yet? I know the adjustable Vibrant Racing spacer and the mini cat have both been hit or miss so far.

Dave80GTSi
05-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Anyone here have any news or updates on these mini-cats, or else similar efforts to eliminate the CEL, since the date of this last posting?

Thanks - DM

aelfwyne
05-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Anyone here have any news or updates on these mini-cats, or else similar efforts to eliminate the CEL, since the date of this last posting?

Thanks - DM

Not worth it, you will still have the CEL. Most solutions delay the CEL no more a few key cycles at best. Especially if you have a '15 or newer. The only way to truly eliminate the CEL is via a flash tune, and even then you sometimes get heater circuit codes if the O2 doesn't heat up properly.

Source: I had a Big Daddie's Mini Cat on my car.