PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Tuning Accessport for Abarth?

onederer
10-14-2013, 03:10 AM
Has anyone else contacted Cobb about making an Accessport v3 for the Abarth? I contacted them a little over a month ago and they have no plans as of yet to make anything...BUT, maybe if they get a steady stream of interest they would.

The choices we have now are slightly limited with; MM, or the TMC box or vendor variants of it. And one box that by all vendor accounts is AMAZING.

But the Cobb stuff offers, tuneability, multiple maps, data logging, read and clear fault codes, plus more. And all for less that the MM box and a few of the others.

I know that it's a quality setup for the Subaru world, with standard maps for all occasions and the ability to get a custom tune. I'm hoping that we can entice them to the Abarth/500t fold.

I had a cookie cutter piggyback for my WRX and it was fine and dandy for what it was, but what it was was lacking. Even with all the superlatives that the manufacturer used in describing it. The Cobb box cured that.

come on boys and girls, lets get the ball rolling!

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Accessport-s/70458.htm

support@cobbtuning.com

ScorpionSkins.com
10-14-2013, 03:29 AM
Having owned a Cobb Accessport for my Mini S, I couldn't agree more. Support for the Abarth would be incredible.

Would it be an unrealistic scenario for one of the current companies attempting to develop an Abarth tune to take advantage of the Cobb platform or collaborate with them directly? (I know the Cobb Mini variant was released through Alta/Perrin Performance, which is a cross-platform performance parts manufacturer)

Some additional benefits:

No need to ship out ECU for programming
Opportunity to revert to stock whenever necessary
Updated or personalized maps available for purchase and download
Throttle map adjustments without the need for additional hardware

I couldn't be happier if a version of their product were realized for our vehicles. For what it's worth, I'll be e-mailing them. :thumbsup:

http://s11.postimg.org/rhaz4jj2r/cobb.jpg

mark449
10-14-2013, 06:45 AM
I called them a few times and told them they should at least look into it. They make it for the GTR and I know that the people who have them have money, but I think the cost of the abarth really plays into the aftermarket's favor. I could afford a car that was more but that would cut into my modding funds, and no one likes that! Let's all get on the bandwagon and see if we can get them to look into it.

10-14-2013, 07:50 AM
I've dropped them an email too...

Never had one before, but the more I read the more I want - no NEED - one.

dsmithpdx
10-14-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm also hoping for an Accessport! The tune that Tork is working on sounds absolutely incredible, but I still don't like the idea of having to ship off my ECU to get it done, and I really want the ability to easily flash the ECU back to stock when necessary.

nojeebs
10-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I'd be in favor of a cobb accessport for our cars. Used the 1st gen on my 05 sti and loved it. I'll let them know my interest as well.

dsmithpdx
10-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Their reply to my email:

"Unfortunately we have no plans to provide an Accessport that will work on your 500 Abarth, sorry for the bad news! We would love to provide support for every vehicle around the world, but we just don't have the time or resources. I'm sorry we couldn't help you out, but if you have any other questions, please let me know."

:dispirited:

nojeebs
10-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Yups shutdown on us. Oh wells.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Their reply to my email:

"Unfortunately we have no plans to provide an Accessport that will work on your 500 Abarth, sorry for the bad news! We would love to provide support for every vehicle around the world, but we just don't have the time or resources. I'm sorry we couldn't help you out, but if you have any other questions, please let me know."

:dispirited:

Yups shutdown on us. Oh wells.

Disregard such responses. Their customer service employees are pretty much obligated to give this response for the time being. If we continue to rally for support, the financial incentives to develop a solution for our vehicles will be presented. :)

I encourage anyone interested to contact both their customers service and post to their Facebook or Twitter wall:
Phone: 866.922.3059
E-mail: support@cobbtuning.com (mailto:support@cobbtuning.com)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cobbtuning
Twitter: https://twitter.com/cobbtuning

Someone should cross-post this to the red forum for greater visibility. :)

If anyone can provide contact information for those higher up in the company (the decision makers, as opposed to the employed representatives) we should get the message across to them instead.

onederer
10-14-2013, 01:57 PM
We could email Trey@cobbtuning.com

I got the same form letter.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Just wanted to offer an update, as I too received the exact same copy+paste response. I've contacted customer service once again to see if there is any "official" channel for us to communicate our support for the development of an Abarth product. Let's see if they bite...

ScorpionSkins.com
10-15-2013, 01:06 PM
I received another reply to our inquiry today which is different from the copy + pasted response a few of us have been receiving from customer support thus far:

Hello ------!

Thank you so much for your interest in wanting an Accessport for the Abarth! We wish we could make an Accessport for every vehicle but we do not have the resources at the time to pursue that vehicle. I can bring up your wish in our weekly meeting but I can not guarantee we will work on your platform. I have passed along your support to our research and development team.
I'm sorry we couldn't help you out!

Thank you,
------

While it maintains their current stance on the matter, it does offer some hope that they'll review the idea in the future.

onederer
10-15-2013, 02:01 PM
No reply to me from Trey, but It was worth a shot.

mcleay
10-15-2013, 04:35 PM
i emailed, i would buy for sure

shagghie
10-15-2013, 04:42 PM
I managed to post on their FB site: https://www.facebook.com/cobbtuning

the trick seems to be to post a photo...that way it accepts the post. Without the photo it said I was not able to post to their timeline...

deathshead
10-16-2013, 08:44 AM
I reached out to them in August and they responded saying something along the lines of
"while we wish we could support every platform we currently have no plans for the Abarth-Dart"

The problem is the Magneti Marelli 8GMW ECU
While everyone can tune Bosch motronic the MM ecu is a whole new animal
interface drivers need to be written, etc.

I think its 1 part "we have no idea where to start with this thing"
1 part of "we know these established platforms already and can make quick and easy money with less effort"
and the fact that this ecu is simply being a jerk.

There are still many popular cars that have been out for like 4-5 years now that still don't have real odb flash tunes available. Correct me if im wrong, but arent diablosport and others still not into the newer Challengers and other mopars ecus at this time?

shagghie
10-16-2013, 11:57 AM
They responded on my FB post too with the generic canned response. Deathshead is right on the money... I just wish they would out and say it so that we can all loose hope indefinitely for an OBD-2 tune... At this point it's kind of like

http://i.imgur.com/mWrnhQZ.gif

Once somebody DOES figure it out, then others will jump on board

frank283
10-16-2013, 07:53 PM
I stopped buy Cobb Tuning in Plano about a month ago and talked to them and was politely told that they don't work on our car, I mentioned that I noticed they did some work on the minis. The service guy kind of chuckled I got the impression that they were more interested in more expensive cars.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-17-2013, 12:38 AM
I stopped buy Cobb Tuning in Plano about a month ago and talked to them and was politely told that they don't work on our car, I mentioned that I noticed they did some work on the minis. The service guy kind of chuckled I got the impression that they were more interested in more expensive cars.

They work on Fords and Mazdas. I don't think a Fiat performance brand is beneath them. It would be awfully ignorant of them to think such a thing, if that were the case.

onederer
11-07-2013, 08:30 PM
I was CCed on the response that Trey sent you Scorpionskins. it's a shame for Abarth owners.

The upside for me is that I now have a Shiny new Fiesta ST in my garage and Cobb is developing stuff for it.

Frankly, I was turned off by some of the vendors in the Fiat scene and elected to go another route. Best of luck to you guys finding quality tuning options!

ScorpionSkins.com
11-07-2013, 09:43 PM
I was CCed on the response that Trey sent you Scorpionskins. it's a shame for Abarth owners.

The upside for me is that I now have a Shiny new Fiesta ST in my garage and Cobb is developing stuff for it.

Frankly, I was turned off by some of the vendors in the Fiat scene and elected to go another route. Best of luck to you guys finding quality tuning options!

Indeed. I'd be happy to share Treys response if anyone is interested, but for now he's quite clearly stated they have no intention to develop a product for the Abarth platform any time soon.

Sadly I'd have to agree with you... a good handful of the vendors currently existent for this vehicle are an embarrassment to themselves and the Abarth name.

All the best onederer, enjoy your new toy! :)

AnthonyV
11-08-2013, 06:49 PM
I'd say start a list, almost a petition of sorts. Start a thread that explains what the product is to folks, have them sign their member name to that list that states basically, "yeah the whole lot of us would ante up the $600 bucks per for something like that". Say you get maybe 200 members from various forums to say they'd commit. They'll figure, "hell even if we get half of that, that's about $60K" in potential sales. Even if 50 commit that's $30K.

For them, it's all time vs money. They have to commit R&D resources to getting it made. Businesses (especially ones like COBB), think almost solely in numbers. We all know how much the community would go for a device like that, the trick is showing them. A wall of names is countable, and much more tangible then the occasional e-mail. Not that the e-mails should stop, I would put voices to the names on that list.

There's no company willing to turn away profit. A huge list of names attached to open wallets is likely to garner some more attention at the "weekly meeting".

Lou Caputo
11-10-2013, 11:54 PM
I sent a message to the Cobb Facebook page and got the following response:

"Hey Lou - We really appreciate the interest. The fact of the matter is that it costs and extraordinary amount to develop the Accessport for a new platform. The Abarth universe is far too small at this time to devote the resources. We tried unsuccessfully with the Mini and eventually discontinued it. Thanks for the kind words on the forum - but there are 3-4 platforms that we are developing for that would take precedent - so it would be 2017 at the earliest. Sorry - Adam"

So, not a NO, but a very soft MAYBE...in 2017. You can't argue with his reasoning though, there just aren't enough of us Abarth fanatics to make it worth their while...yet.

Tweak
11-11-2013, 10:58 AM
I sent a message to the Cobb Facebook page and got the following response:

"Hey Lou - We really appreciate the interest. The fact of the matter is that it costs and extraordinary amount to develop the Accessport for a new platform. The Abarth universe is far too small at this time to devote the resources. We tried unsuccessfully with the Mini and eventually discontinued it. Thanks for the kind words on the forum - but there are 3-4 platforms that we are developing for that would take precedent - so it would be 2017 at the earliest. Sorry - Adam"

So, not a NO, but a very soft MAYBE...in 2017. You can't argue with his reasoning though, there just aren't enough of us Abarth fanatics to make it worth their while...yet.

I had hoped with the Abarth, 500L, and the Dart they'd lump them together and adjust slightly according to the platform.

AnthonyV
11-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Spoke with a friend that used to work for them last weekend. He said they likely wouldn't be into it unless there was a promise of seriously large numbers. Anyway, maybe some other company will catch on and can come up with something? I think somebody mentioned that company Bully Dog had some interest?

MAZ
11-13-2013, 10:13 AM
fyi;

Jared (COBB Support)
Nov 12 04:42 pm (CST)
James,
Unfortunately we have no plans to provide an Accessport that will work on the Fiat 500 Abarth, sorry for the bad news! We would love to provide support for every vehicle around the world, but we just don't have the time or resources. I'm sorry we couldn't help you out, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.
Thank you,
Jared
ph: 866-922-3059

shagghie
11-13-2013, 11:01 AM
it occurs to me that maybe we can all do research and help Tork out with the protocol crypto.
We could also start a fund to pay some hacker friends I know to crack whatever the long pole in the tent is.
This is a puzzle, after all.
I could even setup a hacker challenge with a reward for first person to crack it.
Then turn around and sell that solution to highest bidder that wants to take the time to program a map for us.
or kickstarter... Though I think that could get tricky.

AnthonyV
11-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah I think that Tork tune is going to be the go to solution in my head. I think really the only downside would be the downtime shipping the ecu's in for tune/adjustment. That said, it's not the end of the world, Vishnu tuning used to do that "back in the day" pre acessport. Good things come to those that wait lol.

Shagghie I think your "hacker challenge" or kickstarter idea would likely be a awesome way to push things to completion, but I'd hate to see there be any kind of legal repercussion's or something. That does indeed sound tricky haha