PDA

View Full Version : $35 shipped norcal ss bumpstops

NORCAL SS
10-12-2013, 09:55 PM
$35 shipped to the lower 48 states and you can purchase them here
Purchase link
http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=226

Here is the final version of the bumpstops. Due to it being a poly urathane material bumps are not as harsh. On install there are 2 ways you can do this

1) you can just drill the current hole on the axle bigger and bolt them in
or
2) tap it for a 3/8x16 thread and screw them in.

These bumpstops will give you the MOST travel you can get while giving a better feeling when you do bottom out the rear on big dips especially on lowered 500s. Also you can cut these bumpstops down if you want a little more travel and dont mind the stock tires hitting the liners a little (cutting the first notch up top I would start with and test). You will need to remove oem bumpstops when installing these.

My car on the stock 17x7 abarth wheels and 215 40 17 bfg tires. When cutting the first step up top it would rub the liners a little so on the 205 40 17 the rub would be less.

You will remove your old bumpstops when using my red ones

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/NORCALSTI/ABARTH/bumpstop1.jpeg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/NORCALSTI/ABARTH/bs2.jpeg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/NORCALSTI/ABARTH/bs3.jpeg

shagghie
10-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Heya... the Neu-F springs I got already came with their own bumpstops... so far everything feels magical compared to the ****ty coilovers I had on earlier, and even nicer than stock on the bumps. Do you see any advantage to changing out the Neu-F bumpstops with yours? Also, how much would you charge to pre-tap the bumpstops for me?

I am getting the final version of my rear bumpstops for the fiat 500s. These bumpstops are a Polyurethane material and you will have 2 ways to install them.

1) you can just drill the current hole on the axle bigger and bolt them in
or
2) tap it for a 3/8x16 thread and screw them in.

These bumpstops will give you the MOST travel you can get while giving a much better feeling when you do bottom out the rear on big dips especially on lowered 500s.

I am also working on a cromoly front lower control arm that will save weight and be much stronger than oem.

Ryephile
10-16-2013, 05:17 PM
The rear is just as compression stroke limited as the front. Changing the massive towers of plastic filled rear bumpstops will regain valuable free compression travel and make any lowering spring work even better.

Norcal. How about some details on your proposed rear bumpstops? Height, durometer or spring rate curve? If you can give a similar rate curve as stock but position it about 1.5" lower than stock that would be perfect.

shagghie
10-16-2013, 05:30 PM
The rear is just as compression stroke limited as the front. Changing the massive towers of plastic filled rear bumpstops will regain valuable free compression travel and make any lowering spring work even better.

Norcal. How about some details on your proposed rear bumpstops? Height, durometer or spring rate curve? If you can give a similar rate curve as stock but position it about 1.5" lower than stock that would be perfect.

Thanks Ryephile... I'll stand by for NorcalSS's response...and am now keenly interested. Even I can understand what 1.5" more effective travel would do for the ride.... ;-P

NORCAL SS
10-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Im just increasing travel with a shorter poly stop. Im not altering mounting bracket just giving a option for full amount of travel without rubbing and a much smoother hit when car does bottom out. My car is slammed and does hit the bumpstops a lot but it doesnt break yoor back.

My car is at 23 5/8,from ground to fenderlip in rear on 215 40 17s. Thats almost 3 inches over stock.

once I get these new bumpstops in I need to once again load my car up to make sure there isnt rubbing on big dips. For those on 205 40 17 you will be able to trim down the bumpstop since you can have more travel before tire touches inner plastic fenderwell.

shagghie
10-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Im just increasing travel with a shorter poly stop. Im not altering mounting bracket just giving a option for full amount of travel without rubbing and a much smoother hit when car does bottom out. My car is slammed and does hit the bumpstops a lot but it doesnt break yoor back.

My car is at 23 5/8,from ground to fenderlip in rear on 215 40 17s. Thats almost 3 inches over stock.

once I get these new bumpstops in I need to once again load my car up to make sure there isnt rubbing on big dips. For those on 205 40 17 you will be able to trim down the bumpstop since you can have more travel before tire touches inner plastic fenderwell.

Do the fender walls even matter that much? I've worn through mine in several places already with the 215/40/17 and doing auto-X events....doesn't seem to do any damage to the tires...

NORCAL SS
10-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Wont do damage but people will complain about sound. The bumpstops are stepped so they can be cut if needed

NORCAL SS
10-20-2013, 07:48 PM
avil for shipping now. first post all info included

NORCAL SS
10-22-2013, 10:58 PM
tested my new bumpstops in rear last night at street races and within 2 minutes much better traction. I will be testing this out at the drag strip also. Preventing weight transfer helps a lot on these cars.

10-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Id get these if I wasnt so lazy and didnt have to drill or tap the existing mount :(

trevc
10-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Looking forward to getting mine. Hopefully your supplier will get the right ones to you soon!

NORCAL SS
10-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Id get these if I wasnt so lazy and didnt have to drill or tap the existing mount :(

that is not needed you can just drill out hole and bolt it in does not have to be threaded

NORCAL SS
10-31-2013, 12:15 AM
finally came in. I will be getting them out to you guys tomorrow.

shagghie
10-31-2013, 12:32 AM
that is not needed you can just drill out hole and bolt it in does not have to be threaded

appologize for my ignorance here...but how do you drill out the hole? do you have to remove the springs first? Or can you drill from the bottom up? The, you just squeeze these stops through the spring coils, or? Sorry. If there is ANY way I can pay you to pre-thread these stops I will gladly pay you whatever your time is worth to do so! I am hesitant to do any drilling on my car's suspension components... Can you tell how ignorant I am here? :-)

NORCAL SS
10-31-2013, 12:43 AM
appologize for my ignorance here...but how do you drill out the hole? do you have to remove the springs first? Or can you drill from the bottom up? The, you just squeeze these stops through the spring coils, or? Sorry. If there is ANY way I can pay you to pre-thread these stops I will gladly pay you whatever your time is worth to do so! I am hesitant to do any drilling on my car's suspension components... Can you tell how ignorant I am here? :-)

there is a hole already there you just open it to 5/16 and you use a 90 degree drill or you can jack up car and use regular drill. then you can tap it for a 3/8x16 bolt or you can go one step wider on the drill bit and just bolt the bumpstop directly to the axle. The bumpstops come already threaded.

Look at the top of the axle that goes in the center of the spring. Hole is already there.

rnddude
10-31-2013, 12:11 PM
I followed your link, created an account, and TWICE tried to order them with a Paypal acct. Paypal said the transactions went thru, then when redirected to the site, the site failed the order. Seems they have my money (twice) and I have no parts coming...what gives???

NORCAL SS
10-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Shot yah a email back already. I will refund. Just a glitch and you only want 1 set of bumpstops correct?

rnddude
10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I do want two sets, one for me, and one for a friend. I am assuming that they were $30 a set, not each bump-stop, correct?

NORCAL SS
10-31-2013, 01:12 PM
i refunded the order for 2 and other order i refunded 1 out of 2. I thought you only wanted 1 set which is 30. You can order another ill get it going out to you in the morning.

NORCAL SS
10-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Btw text me its faster to get a response im always around.

ivmill
11-10-2013, 08:04 PM
I just got around to putting these on earlier today and after a short drive I'm thoroughly pleased! the Fortune rear shock that I had was far too short so I was running without the factory bump stops period. Subsequently the ride was brutal when it came to big dips or sharp jolts regardless of speed due to the metal on metal contact and the shock bottoming out. On a side note I'll update the Fortune Auto suspension thread for those interested about the progress with that. In the mean time I've swapped back to the factory shock with the much lowered spring (last time I checked the rear fender was 23" from the ground). In a week or so I'll give an update once I get some more realistic miles on the bump stops. At the moment I'm thinking one or two notches can go, but we'll see. Regardless I'd recommend these as a cheap, easy, fix to anybody with a lowered set up. The hardest part of the install was removing the bottom bolt on the shock so the torsion beam would drop low enough to remove the spring. From there all you have to do it remove the rear perch, which is secured via a 12mm bolt, drill out the hole with a 3/8" bit, and then rebolt the new stops in. I was replacing the rear shocks already so it only made sense to switch these out too. In case anybody was on the fence hopefully this will help out a bit. Included are a couple pictures for reference. First is the new bumpstop, second is the difference between the two, third is the factory perch that gets removed, fourth is the damage said perch did, and finally the car needs MoAr LoW!!1!, haha.

NORCAL SS
11-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Heres the problem. on the 205 40 17 i tested on a customers car if you cut 2 notches you will hear the tire rub on big dips.

btw what size tire are you on. 23 inches from ground to fenerlip is over 3 inches drop from factory?

My car on 215 40 17 is 23 5/8 in the rear

trevc
11-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Confused about what that is in your 3rd picture (picture of the spring seat in the axle). Is that a fortune part? It is not stock (or at least, not in the 2012 model!).
Any update on how the bump stops are doing? I have a set but can't decide whether to install them or sell them.

Thanks

I just got around to putting these on earlier today and after a short drive I'm thoroughly pleased! the Fortune rear shock that I had was far too short so I was running without the factory bump stops period. Subsequently the ride was brutal when it came to big dips or sharp jolts regardless of speed due to the metal on metal contact and the shock bottoming out. On a side note I'll update the Fortune Auto suspension thread for those interested about the progress with that. In the mean time I've swapped back to the factory shock with the much lowered spring (last time I checked the rear fender was 23" from the ground). In a week or so I'll give an update once I get some more realistic miles on the bump stops. At the moment I'm thinking one or two notches can go, but we'll see. Regardless I'd recommend these as a cheap, easy, fix to anybody with a lowered set up. The hardest part of the install was removing the bottom bolt on the shock so the torsion beam would drop low enough to remove the spring. From there all you have to do it remove the rear perch, which is secured via a 12mm bolt, drill out the hole with a 3/8" bit, and then rebolt the new stops in. I was replacing the rear shocks already so it only made sense to switch these out too. In case anybody was on the fence hopefully this will help out a bit. Included are a couple pictures for reference. First is the new bumpstop, second is the difference between the two, third is the factory perch that gets removed, fourth is the damage said perch did, and finally the car needs MoAr LoW!!1!, haha.

rnddude
11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Got two sets, put them on two different 500's, totally pleased. I used a step drill to drill out the holes, took maybe 10 seconds each to get the holes big enough to pass the stud thru. I was changing springs anyway, so installation was a snap. It MIGHT be possible to squeeze the new stops between the coils without removing them, but you only have to remove the lower shock bolts to get the springs out anyway, so I would recommend just doing that and avoiding the cussing and skinned knuckles. Now the cars have tons of rear travel. Only tradeoff is that I now need stiffer rear shocks to moderate the travel. Highly recommended product.

lammie200
11-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Confused about what that is in your 3rd picture (picture of the spring seat in the axle)...

Yeah, I am confused by that part as well. Probably part of the coilovers.

I am also guessing that these new bump stops mount to the bottom perches on the torsion bar, not to the top at the underside of the car body where the stock ones mount. At least that is what I see in the pictures. Is that correct?

trevc
11-22-2013, 03:16 PM
That is correct. They don't mount to the body.

Yeah, I am confused by that part as well. Probably part of the coilovers.

I am also guessing that these new bump stops mount to the bottom perches on the torsion bar, not to the top at the underside of the car body where the stock ones mount. At least that is what I see in the pictures. Is that correct?

NORCAL SS
11-22-2013, 03:22 PM
can you guys not see my first post showing all this?

lammie200
11-22-2013, 03:51 PM

I saw it. I thought that I understood everything but I got confused by subsequent mumbo. I'll look into ordering a pair later tonight. I am going to install Koni's soon, so I can do these at the same time.

lammie200
11-22-2013, 04:06 PM

Just ordered a set but when I log into your site it says that the order failed. However, Paypal says the order is complete. Let me know if there are any issues. I assume all is good.

NORCAL SS
11-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Just ordered a set but when I log into your site it says that the order failed. However, Paypal says the order is complete. Let me know if there are any issues. I assume all is good.

yes all good

NORCAL SS
12-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Just sold last set. Im having another batch of 25 made again will be back in stock in about 2 weeks

modular
12-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Whew, just in the nick of time. Needed to start compiling parts for the little winter massage.

mneuman916
12-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Wrong thread :-D

NORCAL SS
12-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Whew, just in the nick of time. Needed to start compiling parts for the little winter massage.

yah you bought last set. Thanks again they are going out to you in about a hour.

modular
12-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Wrong thread :-D

Nuh-uh. I just bought the bumps. ;)

ivmill
12-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Heres the problem. on the 205 40 17 i tested on a customers car if you cut 2 notches you will hear the tire rub on big dips.

btw what size tire are you on. 23 inches from ground to fenerlip is over 3 inches drop from factory?

My car on 215 40 17 is 23 5/8 in the rear

Sorry I missed this post earlier Tony. I just remeasured the car now that I have the factory shock back in place of the Fortune Auto ones and the car is sitting slightly higher. Both front fenders are sitting at 23.5" high, the driver's rear is 23.5" high, and the passenger rear is 23.75" up. This is on the stock 17" Pirellis still. So far though I've only ever heard it rub once over a rather large pothole. So no complaints from this guy!

NORCAL SS
12-30-2013, 11:33 PM
I will have 20 sets again early next week. Just a bump

modular
12-31-2013, 05:41 AM
I just had my pair installed and I can say that they are very much worth the install. I could tell right away that I have been hitting the OEM bump stops with the zonker mod'd rear springs. Now with the Eibachs/Koni's in it fells sooooo much better.

Nice job and thanks for offering such a nice, functional product for us.

NORCAL SS
01-15-2014, 12:11 AM
The bumpstops are going out tomorrow for those that ordered them. were held up in production but ready to go now.

Baldy McBalders
02-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Just ordered my set! Thanks for your continuing efforts!
B.

NORCAL SS
02-02-2014, 02:01 PM
got it!!! im actually installing a set on a local guys car right now. He got the neuspeed springs/bumpstops/koni shocks from me and can't wait to see the smile on his face once I hand him back the keys

lammie200
02-02-2014, 02:38 PM
got it!!! im actually installing a set on a local guys car right now. He got the neuspeed springs/bumpstops/koni shocks from me and can't wait to see the smile on his face once I hand him back the keys

Thanks for keeping up on this subject. Let us know if you trim the bumpstops. I have the exact same set up and am thinking about taking one step off. I bottom out on larger bumps, but you are correct that bottoming out with these is nothing like bottoming out on the OEM bumpstops. Much gentler feeling with your design.

NORCAL SS
02-02-2014, 02:40 PM
hes on 215 40 17s not cutting them down at this time until the springs settle.

lammie200
02-02-2014, 02:44 PM
hes on 215 40 17s not cutting them down.

And you said before that you are at 23-5/8" in the rear on yours. Have you cut yours down?

NORCAL SS
02-02-2014, 03:07 PM
no i have not. My car rubs the plastic liners on big dips. I could cut out the top of the liners but im sure overtime will wear its way thru. Also if you cut to much in rear where the bumper attaches to the body the steel lip back there will cut into the tire so something else to watch out for.

lammie200
02-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Good to know, thanks. I can definitely live without cutting. I will be watching it though. If I can lose the top step, I think that most of my bottoming out will go away. Next up is a bike hitch for mine. I can recheck things then.

shagghie
02-03-2014, 02:23 AM
This is how I feel about these stops....

http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i53/5/7/12/frabzfunny_4990b34b555141a9a7b5189f6fce5d7d.jpg

Kurumi
02-03-2014, 09:30 AM
This is how I feel about these stops....

http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i53/5/7/12/frabzfunny_4990b34b555141a9a7b5189f6fce5d7d.jpg

Can't go wrong with Devo. Sounds like I can't go wrong with these bump stops either. :p

Crossfirecat
02-08-2014, 01:06 AM
Just placed my order for set!

NORCAL SS
02-08-2014, 01:40 AM
no prob going out monday to you.

anticlockwork
02-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Order placed and payed for today (2/14/14) Your website says failed but I'm sure that's just an error.

micduque1
02-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Same here I just placed the order and paypal went through for today (2/14/14) Your website says failed but I'm sure that's just an error. cylonA

NORCAL SS
02-14-2014, 11:26 PM
Order placed and payed for today (2/14/14) Your website says failed but I'm sure that's just an error.

order went out today you will see it wednesday.

NORCAL SS
02-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Same here I just placed the order and paypal went through for today (2/14/14) Your website says failed but I'm sure that's just an error. cylonA

all good went thru ill have to figure out whats going on. Ill be sending yours on tuesday.

micduque1
02-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Thank you for the quick response!!

anticlockwork
02-17-2014, 06:03 PM
order went out today you will see it wednesday.

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

NORCAL SS
02-17-2014, 10:35 PM
AND OUT OF STOCK. Im doing another run but 35 sets this time. should have them in stock in about 8-10 business days.

lecarmat
05-23-2014, 10:15 PM
ordered and received!! VERY FAST!!

Chops
06-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Lots of "failed" orders. Mine included, but checked PayPal and my email before anything else and realized everything was fine. LOL

Anyway, I'm still a little lost with the rear bumpstops. Looking at pics online, there's this huge white cone thing mounted at the top part of the spring with a bumpstop mounted on the end of it, pointing at the ground. I know the new bumpstops get mounted to the torsion bar, but what about that huge cone thing above it?

http://www.neu-f.com/prod_images/xlarge/NF.2528_img3.jpg

Gigante
06-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Lots of "failed" orders. Mine included, but checked PayPal and my email before anything else and realized everything was fine. LOL

Anyway, I'm still a little lost with the rear bumpstops. Looking at pics online, there's this huge white cone thing mounted at the top part of the spring with a bumpstop mounted on the end of it, pointing at the ground. I know the new bumpstops get mounted to the torsion bar, but what about that huge cone thing above it?

http://www.neu-f.com/prod_images/xlarge/NF.2528_img3.jpg

Hey Chops, when you get the new bump stops the OEM ones get removed.

Once the car is on jack stands and the rear wheels removed, the next step is to remove the top (or bottom) shock bolts and lower the suspension to remove the springs. This will expose the bump stops, then just tug on them in a downward motion and they will come off - they have a rubber cone shape head on the end that fits into a factory mounting hole at the top. Then install your new bump stops in their new location and install everything in reverse order and all will be good.

I hope this general information is useful.

Gigante

Chops
06-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Hey Chops, when you get the new bump stops the OEM ones get removed.

Once the car is on jack stands and the rear wheels removed, the next step is to remove the top (or bottom) shock bolts and lower the suspension to remove the springs. This will expose the bump stops, then just tug on them in a downward motion and they will come off - they have a rubber cone shape head on the end that fits into a factory mounting hole at the top. Then install your new bump stops in their new location and install everything in reverse order and all will be good.

I hope this general information is useful.

Gigante

So the white cone part stays, just the old bumpstop gets yanked? That cone looks to be about 4" long or so. I imagine that stays there so the new bumpstop has something to hit against.

lammie200
06-28-2014, 04:10 PM
So the white cone part stays, just the old bumpstop gets yanked? That cone looks to be about 4" long or so. I imagine that stays there so the new bumpstop has something to hit against.

Everything comes out including the white cone. All that is left is a hole in the sheet metal. The new bumpstops mount on the torsion bar like you said. They hit the area around the hole that is exposed on the top when you bottom out.

NORCAL SS
06-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Remove old bumpstops yes and install these on axle... white cone is part of frame that old bumpstops attach to. Dont worry about that

Chops
06-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Remove old bumpstops yes and install these on axle... white cone is part of frame that old bumpstops attach to. Dont worry about that

I know this makes me look like a schmuck, but I just want to make sure before I go to install this stuff. I'm not referring to the "cup" so to speak that's part of the body.

This is a better picture I Googled, which of course if from a forum member. So the white part and the brown bumpstop is all one in the same, all one piece? If so, that makes more sense.

http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/attachments/fiat-500-appearance-body/10071d1371261294-lowered-flapped-abarth-1371261293290.jpg

lammie200
06-28-2014, 07:57 PM
yep

NORCAL SS
06-28-2014, 08:39 PM
yes all one piece and you just pull it out

lenny357
06-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Thank you for your help today NORCAL SS, on the phone you do have 24 7 support, bump stops, NeuF Springs and Koni shocks all the way around. The only thing Im not sure of is torquing the front Koni's to 41 foot lbs. The guy that installed them just tightened them down and said its tight enough. Im thinking we should have used a crows foot, torque wrench to get a proper 41 foot lbs. BUT this guy has allot of experence yet I like everything by the book. What are your thoughts

Full video on my youtube channel coming soon

Chris

NORCAL SS
06-28-2014, 10:02 PM
which bolt are you talking about the top/?

Chops
07-03-2014, 12:28 AM
Tony, just wanted to let you know the bumpstops arrived today. Everybody at work thinks I'm going to be making Devo dolls now. LOL

http://www.rockandrollstories.info/photos/redhatdevo.jpg

NORCAL SS
07-03-2014, 06:37 AM
lol no problem

doverosx
07-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Hi Tony,

Do you have a spring rate curve of these bump stops vs stock? Have you got spring rate curves for front/rear stock?

Thank you very much!