PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Delivery Checklist

500eee
10-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi guys, I'm supposed to pick up my 500e tomorrow afternoon and I want to put together a list of things to make sure are done before i drive it off the lot. Here's what I have so far- is there anything I'm missing?

-Have the car completely charged
-Activate the modem
-Pair with iPhone and Fiat 500e app
-Remind them to NOT put the front license plate on
-Turn in free charger paperwork
-Get the HOV sticker

Please feel free to add anything else. Hopefully this thread can help other future owners!

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
10-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Check the tire pressures? A lot of dealers forget to set them to the recommended specs and leave them as they come from the factory (40PSI all around).

ScorpionSkins.com
10-09-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm not a 500e owner, but one important thing to do is check the entire vehicle head-to-toe for blemishes, paint issues, quality problems, etc. I spent a good hour inspecting my Abarth before delivery, and in the process realized the leather accent on the passenger side door panel had a deep scratch with a tiny hole that poked right through. They replaced the entire panel. A previous model I looked at had a scratched steering wheel assembly and damaged leather EVIC cover (more so from test drive abuse as opposed to manufacturer defect) Good luck trying to convince the dealer the vehicle came that way should you discover something of the sort afterwards!

As for your front plates, I don't want to send you into a frenzy, but I'd contact them as soon as possible tomorrow morning to remind them once again not to drill and mount. As the vehicle moves through the preparation process, specific instructions for customer delivery may sometimes get lost along the way.

Take your time inspecting and testing absolutely everything. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy the vehicle later! Enjoy! :)

rnddude
10-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi guys, I'm supposed to pick up my 500e tomorrow afternoon and I want to put together a list of things to make sure are done before i drive it off the lot. Here's what I have so far- is there anything I'm missing?

-Activate the modem
-Get the HOV sticker

Please feel free to add anything else. Hopefully this thread can help other future owners!

Your chances of getting the "free" charger are almost nill. If you are referring to the AeroEnvironment deal, you MUST take delivery on a specific day of the month (Tuesday?), and there are only 1-2 a month being offered. The HOV sticker can be applied for at the dealer, I am told, but otherwise you have to wait for the actual license plates to arrive (the plate number is required, along with an $8 fee) to complete the paperwork. Pairing your phone with the car is easy, but the App has been basically a mess, so far it won't work for my friend, and will never work for me because I have a windows phone and the app is only for Iphone and Android devices. Also, make sure the car's software is taken out of transport mode.

rcboosted
10-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Your chances of getting the "free" charger are almost nill. If you are referring to the AeroEnvironment deal, you MUST take delivery on a specific day of the month (Tuesday?), and there are only 1-2 a month being offered.

That is not true, new batches of charger are released first Tuesday of each month. The last few months they have had over 150 available. You just have to take delivery when there are chargers still available, I took delivery the 2nd week they're made available. They've been lasting for about a week or so since I started watching it.

Robert Nixon
10-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Make sure the gas cap is tight, or.....

HA HA!

rnddude
10-10-2013, 02:31 PM
That is not true, new batches of charger are released first Tuesday of each month. The last few months they have had over 150 available. You just have to take delivery when there are chargers still available, I took delivery the 2nd week they're made available. They've been lasting for about a week or so since I started watching it.
I should have clarified by saying 1-2 a month PER DEALERSHIP, at least that's what my dealership said. We were willing to wait 3 days to take delivery on a Tuesday, but they convinced us that the odds were too slim. Did you actually get one of the free chargers? here is the link to them, currently 0 available...

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec/

rcboosted
10-10-2013, 02:45 PM
I should have clarified by saying 1-2 a month PER DEALERSHIP, at least that's what my dealership said. We were willing to wait 3 days to take delivery on a Tuesday, but they convinced us that the odds were too slim. Did you actually get one of the free chargers? here is the link to them, currently 0 available...

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec/

Dealerships have nothing to do with allocation. You just have to check the link on the day you take delivery, the amount of chargers available updates in near real time. If it says they are available and you signed that day and had the dealer send through the paper work, you'll get it. I signed my lease a week after Tuesday they were made available, and still had over 100 available. I had them onsite inspecting my breakers 2 days after I signed my lease. Unfortunately, my breakers are full and too old, so it requires some updates. I'm currently looking for electricians to do the work on the panel.

sirjoe
10-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Dealerships have nothing to do with allocation. You just have to check the link on the day you take delivery, the amount of chargers available updates in near real time. If it says they are available and you signed that day and had the dealer send through the paper work, you'll get it. I signed my lease a week after Tuesday they were made available, and still had over 100 available. I had them onsite inspecting my breakers 2 days after I signed my lease. Unfortunately, my breakers are full and too old, so it requires some updates. I'm currently looking for electricians to do the work on the panel.
I have an appointment on Monday for installation. I have a 30 amp 220 v circuit for a dryer that I don't use. I am hoping/expecting it's a quick modification and they install my free charger!!! I was lucky, I leased my car on Tuesday, so I was able to get one.

500eee
10-11-2013, 01:00 AM
That sucks. I should be picking up my car tomorrow so I guess there's no way I'm getting the free AeroEnvironmet charger. Why would they only allow you to apply on the day you take delivery? :confused

500eee
10-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Uggghhhh! Well, maybe I will be able to get that charger now since my dealership can't find my 500e! All they can tell me is that it was supposed to be here yesterday and might have been held up by the recall. But it's definitely not at the Michigan factory, they said. So, they think it might be on a truck. But they're not sure where...

I emailed "fiatcares" my VIN this morning, to see if they can find it... but I haven't heard anything back from them :offended:

sirjoe
10-13-2013, 12:27 AM
Just wondering...what OC dealer are you dealing with? I was at Costa Mesa Fiat on Friday and there was a grey sport e on lot among a couple of orange and whites. What model/configuration did you order?

Andree
10-13-2013, 07:46 PM
500eee: Dude, where's your car?

Just before going to sleep last night, I suddenly realized you should have your car by now, and I pondered getting up to check on it. It must have been a Fiat thought night, as I also dreamt about Trystane's ambient temperature sensor.

I haven't been checking, any notable weather events that would prohibit road travel?

500eee
10-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Sirjoe: I'm waiting for mine to be delivered through Signal Hill Fiat. I know that OC Fiat has my exact car... however, I feel loyal to Signal Hill because they were the ones that followed up with me when OC didn't. It's ironic that "my" car ended up over there first. But if I don't get a location on my ordered car tomorrow...

Andree: I have car dreams too :concern: As far as weather goes, it rained last week... enough to shut down interstate 5 for a bit. I can't imagine that would affect anything...

Andree
10-14-2013, 01:18 AM
Sirjoe: I'm waiting for mine to be delivered through Signal Hill Fiat. I know that OC Fiat has my exact car... however, I feel loyal to Signal Hill because they were the ones that followed up with me when OC didn't. It's ironic that "my" car ended up over there first. But if I don't get a location on my ordered car tomorrow...

Andree: I have car dreams too :concern: As far as weather goes, it rained last week... enough to shut down interstate 5 for a bit. I can't imagine that would affect anything...

I'm thinking of anywhere between here and Michigan.

500eee
10-14-2013, 03:29 AM
I'm thinking of anywhere between here and Michigan.

I know, I was trying to make a joke about how a little bit of rain in Los Angeles can shut down everything. My sarcasm obviously didn't come across :shame:

Andree
10-14-2013, 09:26 AM
I know, I was trying to make a joke about how a little bit of rain in Los Angeles can shut down everything. My sarcasm obviously didn't come across :shame:

Oh. Well, I don't know LA humor. This is what happens when it rains quite a bit in my area:

Yes, that is a car in the hole. Note tiny person on opposite side.

rnddude
10-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Andree, imagine the phone call to the insurance agent...."well I went outside to get into my car, and then the earth opened up and ate it! I'm covered for that, aren't I?"

FiatCares
10-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Uggghhhh! Well, maybe I will be able to get that charger now since my dealership can't find my 500e! All they can tell me is that it was supposed to be here yesterday and might have been held up by the recall. But it's definitely not at the Michigan factory, they said. So, they think it might be on a truck. But they're not sure where...

I emailed "fiatcares" my VIN this morning, to see if they can find it... but I haven't heard anything back from them :offended:

Please PM it to me again. I did not receive an email from you.

Thank you.

FiatCares
10-14-2013, 11:36 AM

I didnt receive a PM on this forum with your VIN? did you write me on 500Maddness

Andree
10-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Andree, imagine the phone call to the insurance agent...."well I went outside to get into my car, and then the earth opened up and ate it! I'm covered for that, aren't I?"

hahaha, thanks for the laugh! And now that you mention it, I wonder if it is covered by insurance.

Hopefully it won't be happening again too soon. The road collapsed several times in different areas over a few years time, and finally they did some serious updates to the sides where it collapses. There's a canal that runs on the opposite side of the road, and there's a potential for flooding out the street every year. I like to go to the canal and check on it, and call it in if the grating is partially clogged. Keeping it clear and free of debris is key to preventing the flooding.

And they made several places to accommodate the canal overflowing, with curb cuts extending several car lengths each. And some other things that should help in the long run. Had to have cost a fortune.

I've always wondered if the person in the picture is the car owner.

500eee
10-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Hey guys- I'm good. My Fiat dealer has made it up to me :peaceful: Jonathan, I just sent you my 500e info via PM, tell me when you get it.

Here's part of my original discussion:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: September 30, 2013 at 8:56:51 AM PDT
To: sean...yahoo.com
Subject: order status

.. On Hold 09/17/2013 08:00 AM EDT

Mira Loma, CA .. Vehicle Delivered to Dealer 10/10/2013 08:57 AM EDT Glenn E. Thomas Fiat
Signal Hill, CA

baritoneplayer
10-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Recieved a call from the assistant sales manager at Fiat of Fresno the weekend after I purchased my 500e. He submitted the paperwork for the free 240v level two charger! I completed the rest of the registration and had my charger installed by the end of the month. The installation cost me approximately $550.00 because the installer had to run a dedicated 240v line from my power box thru the attic on the opposite end of the house and install a new breaker. The installation charge include a $275.00 permit from the city! Having to charge up car approximately twice a week!

rcboosted
10-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Recieved a call from the assistant sales manager at Fiat of Fresno the weekend after I purchased my 500e. He submitted the paperwork for the free 240v level two charger! I completed the rest of the registration and had my charger installed by the end of the month. The installation cost me approximately $550.00 because the installer had to run a dedicated 240v line from my power box thru the attic on the opposite end of the house and install a new breaker. The installation charge include a $275.00 permit from the city! Having to charge up car approximately twice a week!

Congrats on the 500e and free charging station! That's pretty cheap for a new breaker box and permit. I was quoted way more than just $550.

Andree
10-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?

500eee
10-17-2013, 05:10 PM
This is the latest... it's gonna be a couple more weeks :numbness:

Departed Facility 10/15/2013 04:46 PM EDT Avi - Vls Charlevoix Yard, MI
Future
.. Loaded On Railcar 10/16/2013 10:00 AM EDT Toluca Assembly, EM
.. Railcar - Interchanged 10/19/2013 06:00 PM EDT Laredo, TX
.. Railcar Placed at Destination Facility10/28/2013 06:00 AM EDT Mira Loma, CA
.. Unloaded From Railcar 10/28/2013 12:00 PM EDT Mira Loma, CA
.. Vehicle Delivered to Dealer10/31/2013 04:00 PM EDT Glenn E. Thomas Fiat
Signal Hill, CA

Andree
10-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Halloween delivery! Spooky. Make sure there isn't a hockey mask in the back seat.

nathan_h
10-20-2013, 06:41 PM

-Activate the modem
-Get the HOV sticker

Hope you get the car soon/on schedule. Couple of questions about your plan, and one recommendation.

1. Are you sure about the HOV sticker? I think the prior poster is right. You need to wait for the license plates to ship from the CA DMV, and then apply for the sticker, meaning 3 or four weeks after you pick up the car.
2. I understand liking the clean look of no front license plate holder, but I do have a friend without a front license plate who got a fix it ticket for that. I'm not sure if the laws vary by county (this was northern california) but I'd have guessed they are statewide. Do you know?

And then the recommendation:

Bring a camera, or at least a decent camera phone, and take a LOT of pictures of everything, exterior, interior, under the hook, the seats folded and unfolded, in the trunk, even under the car, if you can. In the heat of the moment, it's easy to overlook something -- some small ding or issue with upholstery, or what-have-you. A photo that you can pull up later will act as proof the defect was there after you drove off the lot.

ReconTopher
10-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Front license plates are mandatory in California. It doesn't matter it the car came without one, or it was built to not accept one.

That being said, it all depends on who and why you are pulled over. If you don't have a holder mounted, it's likely you'll get a warning to get it from the dealer and that'll be it.

500eee
10-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Hi Nathan, I'm not sure about the HOV sticker, but I'm going to ask the dealer about it- I assume they would know. That reminds me- has anyone ever ordered personalized plates for a leased car? If so, what's involved and what's the procedure? The dealer said that they'd do all the DMV stuff, so I wonder if I need to tell them I want personalized plates.

I haven't had a front license plate on any of my cars for years- I can't stand the look (not to mention not really having a place to even put one on my old Lotus Elise). I've had one cop pull me over for it and I just got a light scolding. What you need to worry about are meter maids who love to ticket for that. That's why I'm probably going to do this:

http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_59&product_id=715

Or something simple like this:

http://www.altmake.com/2013/03/11/license-plate-mount-fiat-500/

Good idea about taking pictures of everything before I leave the dealership!

nathan_h
10-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Please let us know what you find out/how it goes. My #1 inspiration for getting this car is the HOV lane. My #1 justification is that the gas savings covers most of the car's cost. I shudder to think of having it in the driveway for a month, unable to use the HOV lane -- though I think that's what is likely to happen for the first month of "ownership" (lease).

SanDiegoDana
10-21-2013, 11:01 AM
re: plates

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ipp2/welcome.do is where you can apply for personalized plates. The vehicle has to be registered before you can apply, and you can't get personalized plates on a lease in California (according to the DMV anyways).

I'm putting the front plate on because it's a lease: if I was purchasing, I wouldn't care, but, to be honest, the front plate doesn't look THAT bad (compared to some cars I owned previously, where it really did not fit at all.)

Edit:
Actually, re-reading things, it seems to be saying that a lease in a business name can't get personalized plates, so maybe a non-business lease can?

500eee
10-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I looked at that DMV page too, but it's not very clear. A few people on a BMW forum said that they absolutely have personalized plates on their leased California cars- so it's doable but they just don't explain how. Another person said they were told by one DMV person that they couldn't get the tags and then another said they absolutely can, and did! Someone else mentioned something about getting a letter from the lessor (GM I guess?) that says it's OK to get personalized tags on their car...

Anyway, I'll report back about what the dealer says later since I just got an email from them telling me that my car arrived this morning and should be ready by 4pm today! Finally!!! :ghost:

500eee
10-22-2013, 01:33 AM

I just got back from the dealership- I'm the proud owner of a Grigio eSport with only 13 miles on the odometer :peaceful:

The car was all ready when I got there- no problems with setting up any of the electronics! As far as the DMV stuff goes, they pretty much said they don't think there's much to do until my plates come in the mail. They suggested I go to AAA for my personalized plates once they do.

The first picture...
No front license plate! :devilish:

Raindrops
10-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Please let us know what you find out/how it goes. My #1 inspiration for getting this car is the HOV lane. My #1 justification is that the gas savings covers most of the car's cost. I shudder to think of having it in the driveway for a month, unable to use the HOV lane -- though I think that's what is likely to happen for the first month of "ownership" (lease).

Due to my own diddle dawdling, I added another week to my HOV stickers... so it was about 4 weeks... and yes, I lost money on the bridge toll every day.. :( I read on another forum that some dealers were applying for the HOV stickers up front, and giving them out with the delivery of the car... forget which EV it was...

But in any case, its just a boon that the law was changed extending the stickers through 2019, and in the long run, a few weeks doesn't matter... in fact, I was in such a habit to go to the middle lane, and didn't realize I wasn't in the carpool lane until too late, and so then arrrggh, another day of paying the higher toll. And of course, the toll authority won't refund the money, even though they can see from the license plate (as it passed thru the toll gate) was for the HOV EV car. Sigh.

Andree
10-22-2013, 04:59 AM
Woo hoo! Congrats! Looks wonderful!

rnddude
10-22-2013, 09:49 AM

I just got back from the dealership- I'm the proud owner of a Grigio eSport with only 13 miles on the odometer :peaceful:

The car was all ready when I got there- no problems with setting up any of the electronics! As far as the DMV stuff goes, they pretty much said they don't think there's much to do until my plates come in the mail. They suggested I go to AAA for my personalized plates once they do.

The first picture...
No front license plate! :devilish:

Your car (grigio sport) is what I tried for many weeks to find in LA to no avail, it seems to be a rare bird, and to get it with front plate pre-drilling...well I am jealous! Make sure that the dealer got the electronics out of "transport mode" or you will be unable to get the phone app to work. Many are still unaware of this....

500eee
10-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Here's some more info regarding obtaining the HOV stickers for our cars (from the CA DMV website)...

6. Q: How can I avoid delays and keep from having my CAV decal application returned unprocessed?

A: To avoid delays, make sure:

The vehicle is on the ARB eligible vehicle list by checking ARB website or by calling 1-800-242-4450.

The $8 decal fee made payable to DMV is included with the original application.

All appropriate sections (including checkboxes) are completed in full and signed on the REG 1000 (PDF) form. NOTE: If you are unsure of your vehicle's exhaust standard/motive power, check ARB's website at www.arb.ca.gov.

Your current address is the same as the address on DMV records or a Change of Address (DMV 14) (PDF) form is submitted with the REG 1000 (PDF) or you completed an online Change of Address before submitting your application. NOTE: This also applies if you are adding a new or separate mailing address not currently on DMV records.

The vehicle is in your name and you are the applicant.

The vehicle ownership transaction from a recently acquired vehicle (e.g., from a dealership) has been processed and you are in possession of a DMV issued registration card in your name.

Page two of the REG 1000 is included, is signed with an original signature, and contains at the top of both pages (page one AND page two) the same vehicle identifying information (i.e., license plate, VIN, year, make, and model) even if you are NOT applying for replacement decals. NOTE: The signature for a company or business must include the printed name of the company/business and an authorized representative's countersignature on the signature line (e.g., ABC CO. by JOHN SMITH or JOHN SMITH for ABC CO.).

And here's the actual DMV application:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf

nathan_h
10-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Cool. Thanks.

I wonder whether there are instructions available to dealers, now that it is possible for them to send in the application at the time of purchase, long before one has license plates, etc.