PDA

View Full Version : Audio nightmare

PMR
10-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Fiat has always been my favorite car. Waited since 1983 & got a 500 in 2011. Ordered a 500L as soon as it came out but then realized I could not get heated seats and a CD player. Got a Lounge & the dealer put a Walkman on the seat (not satisfactory). (Dealer said it was not possible to install a CD player.) So I spent $530.00 to have a computer company put 200 CD's on a flashdrive (1814 tracks-mostly operas). Now, no matter how I use the touch screen options, it plays a few tracks and always returns to track #2. It is impossible to listen to an entire CD. Took the car back to the dealer & the computer company but no one can fix the problem & it is driving me crazy. I will send $500.00 to anyone who knows how to fix this. If no one can help me I will sell the car.

whatebahw
10-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Is this blue and me? IIRC Fiat recommends no larger than a 8GB drive and for best performance to use a 4gb drive or smaller. I feel your pain. I had dreams of using a 1TB hdd in the glove box but it won't work. Although it is imperfect the best solution I have found for accessing a large library from the car is to use PLEX (http://www.plexapp.com/)to access my home library from my smart phone.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-09-2013, 02:41 PM
I hate to endorse the product or the company in any way or form, but I'm having no trouble with my Apple iPod (80gb, over 8000+ songs) and Blue & Me. Voice commands even recognizes playlist, genre, and artist search (then allowing you to flip through the selections on the EVIC screen).

Please, don't go out and support Apple with your money (overpriced garbage quality hardware and company philosophy), but perhaps you can find a well-priced used iPod on Kijiji and test it out with the system just before purchase?

EDIT: Another solution I can think of is to review the file system your flash drive is formatted in (NFTS vs FAT32 vs HSF+). I'm aware Blue & Me has issues with one of the available system types, so I'd suggest backing up your music data, reformatting in a different file system type, reuploading your music files, and trying to see if the issue continues. That may very well correct the problem.

Here's a link detailing the file system types available and how to reformat your flash drive:
http://www.howtogeek.com/73178/what-file-system-should-i-use-for-my-usb-drive/

Good luck!

PMR
10-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Thank you very much. If "Blue & Me" is the voice activated feature, no, I don't use that. I don't have a smart phone, but if the solution is as simple as a smaller flashdrive I'll send you the $500. Would a 4gb hold at least several hours of music?

PMR
10-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Thank you very much. I'm not trying to use voice commands (Blue & Me?). Just want the system to proceed through CD's as with the CD player in my 2012 500. The computer company said the used a MP3 format to put the music on the flashdrive. That's all I know.

ReconTopher
10-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Thank you very much. If "Blue & Me" is the voice activated feature, no, I don't use that. I don't have a smart phone, but if the solution is as simple as a smaller flashdrive I'll send you the $500. Would a 4gb hold at least several hours of music?

Always depends on the song length and quality compressed, but a 320kps quality song, 5 minutes long, should get a 12 mb file.
Roughly 340 songs on a 4 gig drive at 320k quality should yield 28 hours.

Also, if you take out the flash drive and plug it in to your computer, assuming you have one, you can navigate to the folders and see the file structure as it is setup. I would hope the company you used researched the proper file structure. If not, I would hope they'd correct it on their dime.

MAZ
10-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Dealer said it was not possible to install a CD player.
CD Player to AUX.

or
Put CD .WAV files, FLAC, (or other lossless format) on a external HD to USB port
or
lossless on player (Samsung Gal Player) to AUX.

What am I missing?

ScorpionSkins.com
10-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Thank you very much. I'm not trying to use voice commands (Blue & Me?). Just want the system to proceed through CD's as with the CD player in my 2012 500. The computer company said the used a MP3 format to put the music on the flashdrive. That's all I know.

PMR, feel welcome to attempt the 4GB fix if you'd like, but I believe the issue is unrelated to the size of the flash drive itself. Based on compatibility issues I've read of on European forums in regards to the Blue & Me system, so long as you have less than 2000 files on your flash drive and the flash drive is properly formatted in the FAT32 file system, you shouldn't encounter any issues or errors with Blue & Me. The mp3 format is the format your music files are formatted in, but the flash drive itself has a format system which can be easily reformatted when plugged into a computer. You can verify what format system your flash drive is by right clicking the flash drive in the "My Computer" folder on your computer, accessing "properties", and looking under the "General" tab. It will detail whether your flash drive is NFTS or FAT32 format. If it is NFTS formatted, it would explain why you're encountering issues. This is where I'd recommend copying the entire music contents of your flash drive to your computer, and then reformatting the flash drive by right clicking it in the "My Computer" folder and selecting "Format...". You'll see a drop-down showing NFTS or FAT32 as an available format type. Select FAT32, press "START" and allow the drive to reformat. Once it has finished, move your music files from your computer back onto the flash drive and try it out. You shouldn't encounter any more issues. You can format flash drives as large as 32GB in FAT32 format, so your 8GB drive will suffice without needing to replace it.

It would make sense that the company you picked up the flash drive from formatted it in NFTS, as it is a more recent file system type in relation to FAT32. Kindly ask them to reformat the drive to a FAT32 file system as you are having incompatibility issues at the moment with NFTS, and see if they'll help you out. (They reasonably shouldn't charge anything extra for this)

MADNESSLuckyJay
10-09-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm definitely missing something here, how is it "not possible" to have a CD player? Every model of the 500L on their website has one

PMR
10-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Premium package w/back-up camera, navigation, big screen, Beats speakers standard for 2014 on all models except the Pop.

PMR
10-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Checked the flashdrive & it is formatted in FAT 32 (& it works fine plugged into my laptop) so I'm still baffled.

whatebahw
10-09-2013, 04:48 PM
I believe the issue is unrelated to the size of the flash drive itself.

I've tried several flash drives all formatted to FAT32. The larger the drive the more errors and the longer it takes to read. It may "work " with larger drives but it is slower and clunkier and more error prone with larger drives. I tried an 80GB zif drive and it "worked" but it couldn't recognize all the files and was slow to respond. Things improved with a 16gb flash drive and further improved with an 8gb drive. Things work even better with a 4gb. Hmmm just like the recommendations!

YMMV.

MADNESSLuckyJay
10-09-2013, 05:00 PM
That's crazy! I guess I'm still reluctant to come to terms that CDs are becoming obsolete already! haha

stilyong1
10-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Premium package w/back-up camera, navigation, big screen, Beats speakers standard for 2014 on all models except the Pop. I bought a 2014 fiat 500 lounge with the beats system and back-up camera big screen and speakers but no
navigation on it dealer wants $600 to inatall nav on system here in Canada ripoff asked a rep about it she said it's up to dealer what
he chargers . so people ask me how I like car fine but be careful because you don't get nav on your system. also it's TOM TOM and it's
garbage anyway but go out by portable system.and I'm not impressed with car anyway Italians should stick cement they are good at that
that's my 2cents worth car gone as soon as I get a change

whatebahw
10-09-2013, 06:31 PM
I bought a 2014 fiat 500 lounge with the beats system and back-up camera big screen and speakers but no
navigation on it dealer wants $600 to inatall nav on system here in Canada ripoff asked a rep about it she said it's up to dealer what
he chargers . so people ask me how I like car fine but be careful because you don't get nav on your system. also it's TOM TOM and it's
garbage anyway but go out by portable system.and I'm not impressed with car anyway Italians should stick cement they are good at that
that's my 2cents worth car gone as soon as I get a change

What does this have to do with the thread?

My phone is the best Nav I've ever used. Who needs a stand alone Nav anymore?

ScorpionSkins.com
10-09-2013, 07:14 PM
...Italians should stick cement they are good at that that's my 2cents worth car gone as soon as I get a change

Honestly, just GTFO. Think twice before you go and insult an entire nations achievements because you're butthurt about some miserably insignificant vehicle option at your local dealer. Do you realize how pathetic that is? What do you even know about Italians and the country of Italy besides the Americanized garbage you've probably had shoved in your face? I take great offence to your comment.

Turn your vehicle in. You don't deserve to own it.

Fiat500USA
10-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Italians should....
Seriously? YGM when I get back into town tonight..

PMR
10-10-2013, 02:31 PM
CD Player to AUX.

or
Put CD .WAV files, FLAC, (or other lossless format) on a external HD to USB port
or
lossless on player (Samsung Gal Player) to AUX.

What am I missing?

Thank you. Not being computer savvy I didn't understand that but I'll show the suggestions to the fella @ the computer company.

MAZ
10-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Thank you. Not being computer savvy I didn't understand that but I'll show the suggestions to the fella @ the computer company.
I'll PM you with more details.

nerdvana
10-10-2013, 03:39 PM
It will detail whether your flash drive is NFTS or FAT32 format. If it is NFTS formatted, it would explain why you're encountering issues. This is where I'd recommend copying the entire music contents of your flash drive to your computer, and then reformatting the flash drive by right clicking it in the "My Computer" folder and selecting "Format...". You'll see a drop-down showing NFTS or FAT32 as an available format type. Select FAT32, press "START" and allow the drive to reformat. Once it has finished, move your music files from your computer back onto the flash drive and try it out. You shouldn't encounter any more issues. You can format flash drives as large as 32GB in FAT32 format, so your 8GB drive will suffice without needing to replace it.

It would make sense that the company you picked up the flash drive from formatted it in NFTS, as it is a more recent file system type in relation to FAT32. Kindly ask them to reformat the drive to a FAT32 file system as you are having incompatibility issues at the moment with NFTS, and see if they'll help you out. (They reasonably shouldn't charge anything extra for this)

The filesystem you mentioned is NTFS, not NFTS. It was originally used in Windows NT, which was Microsoft's server and workstation OS before Windows 2000 was released. It stands for "New Technology File System".

NTFS is not "more recent" than FAT32, btw. FAT32 became available in Windows 95 OSR2 and natively in Windows 98. NTFS came first in the early 1990s as part of Windows NT 3.1.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-10-2013, 03:50 PM
The filesystem you mentioned is NTFS, not NFTS. It was originally used in Windows NT, which was Microsoft's server and workstation OS before Windows 2000 was released. It stands for "New Technology File System".

NTFS is not "more recent" than FAT32, btw. FAT32 became available in Windows 95 OSR2 and natively in Windows 98. NTFS came first in the early 1990s as part of Windows NT 3.1.

From the Microsoft website in reference to Windows Vista, and onwards:

NTFS

NTFS is the preferred file system for this version of Windows. It has many benefits over the earlier FAT32 file system, including:

The capability to recover from some disk-related errors automatically, which FAT32 cannot.

Improved support for larger hard disks.

Better security because you can use permissions and encryption to restrict access to specific files to approved users.

FAT32

FAT32, and the lesser-used FAT, were used in earlier versions of Windows operating systems, including Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition. FAT32 does not have the security that NTFS provides, so if you have a FAT32 partition or volume on your computer, any user who has access to your computer can read any file on it. FAT32 also has size limitations. You cannot create a FAT32 partition greater than 32GB in this version of Windows, and you cannot store a file larger than 4GB on a FAT32 partition.

The main reason to use FAT32 is because you have a computer that will sometimes run Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition and at other times run this version of Windows, known as a multiboot configuration. If that is the case, you will need to install the earlier operating system on a FAT32 or FAT partition and ensure that it is a primary partition (one that can host an operating system). Any additional partitions you will need to access when using these earlier versions of Windows must also be formatted with FAT32. These earlier versions of Windows can access NTFS partitions or volumes over a network, but not on your computer.

Sorry for the mistyped acronym, but I believe what I was referring to was still understood. Whether it was available at an earlier point in time, I believe it's usage as a "more recent" (improved) standard was the implied sentiment I was attempting to express.

PMR
10-10-2013, 04:26 PM
I am computer illiterate & really confused. Have determined that the flashdrive that works properly in my laptop, but not in my 500L, is "FAT32." Do you think I need to ask the computer company to change that? Thanks again.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-10-2013, 04:34 PM
I am computer illiterate & really confused. Have determined that the flashdrive that works properly in my laptop, but not in my 500L, is "FAT32." Do you think I need to ask the computer company to change that? Thanks again.

It may or may not help at this point to ask them to convert the format to NTFS. Based on what I've read on European forums, FAT32 should be optimal for a drive connected to the Blue & Me system (so long as there are less than 2000 files on the drive). whatebawe suggests attempting a smaller flash drive. It may just work. As I mentioned in my first reply, I've had no issues with my 80GB iPod and over 8000 songs. That's a solution for you to consider should a smaller flash drive not do the trick. Sorry I couldn't be of more help PMR.

nerdvana
10-10-2013, 04:49 PM
From the Microsoft website in reference to Windows Vista, and onwards:

There have been multiple versions of both NTFS and of FAT32 (DLLs, etc.) as various OSs have matured and as hard drives have gotten progressively larger. This is what MS meant by "earlier FAT32 filesystem", e.g. FAT32 v2.0 vs FAT32 v4.0. I beta-tested NT 4.0 way back when, and the NTFS in that OS is not the same as the NTFS that is available today. :-)

In order to bring this at least slightly back on topic, I did not have good luck using a USB flash drive in my 2013 (Abarth). The filesystem was fine but the audio was very muffled and turning the volume way up did not help. I ended up burning a bunch of MP3s to a CD; the same files sound great when played that way. (I don't use the stereo very much so it's not a huge deal.)

Has the muffled-audio-from-flash-drives issue been fixed in the 500L?

PMR
10-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Well, the Abarth has a CD player, which I would love to have in my 500L Lounge. 500L's, except for the Pop have the big touch-screen & no CD player. My problem is just that the unit does not proceed through all tracks on a CD. After a few tracks of any of the 1814 on the flashdrive, it returns to track #2. No problem of muffled sound, nor a problem with voice commands (a feature I have no desire to use).

whatebahw
10-10-2013, 05:08 PM
The IPod as suggested by ScorpionSkins may be the best way to go. I do recall that my system had no issues reading from a 16GB iOS device. Perhaps the format used by apple is easier for the system to index. Also songs from the iDevice did not seem subject to the muffled tones normally associated with USB playback in the FIAT.

Buy an Ipod classic and load it up and leave it attached in the glove box.

PMR
10-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Thank you. Would an Ipod show music info on the screen as with the thumbdrive? (The Walkman didn't.) Also, could I move the music from the thumbdrive to the Ipod? When I got the 500L someone suggested an Ipod but said I would have to buy the music from the ITunes store.

ScorpionSkins.com
10-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Thank you. Would an Ipod show music info on the screen as with the thumbdrive? (The Walkman didn't.) Also, could I move the music from the thumbdrive to the Ipod? When I got the 500L someone suggested an Ipod but said I would have to buy the music from the ITunes store.

PMR, it would really be quite easy. You'd have to download iTunes onto your computer to manage your music collection (free download), but you'd be able to modify Artist name, song info, genre, etc. directly from iTunes. When you then connect your iPod to the computer, it syncs all that music data from your iTunes library directly onto the iPod. All the music info will then be displayed in your vehicle. To move the music from the thumbdrive onto the iPod, you'd move it to the iTunes program first (drag and drop) and it will re-sync automatically every time you connect your iPod to the computer.

nerdvana
10-11-2013, 02:29 PM
When I got the 500L someone suggested an Ipod but said I would have to buy the music from the ITunes store.

Someone was very much misinformed. You certainly can buy from iTunes if you want, but it is not necessary. In fact I used iTunes primarily to rip a large pile of CDs to MP3s; only a small number of my tracks actually came from the store.

Unfortunately I do not have the display you have and cannot speak to that part of your question.

scap
10-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Songs names and artist and all relevant data is displayed on our uconnect screen when the USB inlet is connected to any Ipod. The way to go is to buy an ipod classic and just copy all those MP3 files over into it (iTunes). Properly done MP3 files contain all of the information already so you don't have to go through the ripping process again. On the other hand I use a 32GB SD card in my 500L and have no problem with anything except that it always starts on Song 1 when the car is started.

PMR
10-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Wow, that is a problem. To make sure I wouldn't have that problem, a friend put 2 CD's on a flashdrive. It worked. When I started the car, music resumed where it had left off. But then when I spent $530 to put 200 CD's on the same flashdrive I got my current problem: wherever I start in the 1814 tracks, after a few tracks, it goes back to track #2. Driving me nuts.

stilyong1
10-12-2013, 07:48 PM
I would like to apologise to the form and anyone that I may have offended on the form in anyway . Sorry for any
racial slurs that I may have said on anything I wrote on this site . Thanks again SORRY

ScorpionSkins.com
10-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post this, stilyonge1.

It may just be a car forum, but we should take the opportunity to overlook our differences and appreciate that which we do share in common after all. grouphug

Mario500L
10-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Wow, that is a problem. To make sure I wouldn't have that problem, a friend put 2 CD's on a flashdrive. It worked. When I started the car, music resumed where it had left off. But then when I spent $530 to put 200 CD's on the same flashdrive I got my current problem: wherever I start in the 1814 tracks, after a few tracks, it goes back to track #2. Driving me nuts.

Hello PMR,

I don't know if you already managed to fix the issue. But regardless an endorsement, regardless the company , your nightmare will be over with just an iPod, small, you can put a ton of music, and you don't need to deal with all this nightmare. Just my 2c.

MAZ
10-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Hello PMR,

I don't know if you already managed to fix the issue. But regardless an endorsement, regardless the company , your nightmare will be over with just an iPod, small, you can put a ton of music, and you don't need to deal with all this nightmare. Just my 2c.
^ Agreed.
Ipods (<-for those who like to be under the subjection of itunes, lol) or Samsung Galaxy Players can hold an absolute ton of music in nearly any format. MP3's or loss-less formats for the audiophiles out there.
Done and done.

cmj912
10-15-2013, 09:35 AM

So what you need to do is make sure you buy a large enough iPod. Commensurate with the file size of what you have in tracks. Then, download iTunes and put the 1814 tracks into the iTunes library folder. Plug in the iPod to the computer and it will sync. Voila. Then when you put it into the car, all of the tracks should be there.

FWIW, my ancient iPod that doesn't even work anymore still functions in the car as a USB drive. I am using 8MB sticks, though, so I don't have your issue (I hate sometimes coming across the same song on certain drives, so I have different libraries on each and I swap them up).

PMR
11-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Well, thanks again to everyone who tried to help me. The car/touch screen/audio system/Uconnect or whatever still has a mind of its own. No, I can't just be happy with what Sirius or Pandora plays. The car's system (just like ITunes) is built around "artists" or "songs" & people who like classical music think in terms of composers or compositions. With today's technology you can turn on the heat at home while you're flying in an airplane. All I want to do is listen to an entire composition (CD album) while I'm driving. Maybe it works with getto music because the car's speakers have red B's on them. Well, Dr. Dre is not my doctor. Wrote a check & ordered a new car with a CD player yesterday. Will trade in a wonderful Fiat 500L Lounge. What a shame.

lsm
01-23-2015, 02:32 AM
Why not just install an aftermarket CD Player? There are specialty Car Audio dealers all across the country that can install a high quality stereo system in your 500L for a lot less than the cost of a new car. Alpine has several nice CD Players available and Audison, Audio Control, JL Audio, and several others offer excellent aftermarket equipment.

doverosx
01-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Why not just install an aftermarket CD Player? There are specialty Car Audio dealers all across the country that can install a high quality stereo system in your 500L for a lot less than the cost of a new car. Alpine has several nice CD Players available and Audison, Audio Control, JL Audio, and several others offer excellent aftermarket equipment.

I know it's a necropost but.

I have a script for bash that will "adjust" ID3 tags to work around buggy software implementations/poor designs. Ah well, looks like I'm 1.5 years too late.

Sjoerd22
02-09-2015, 03:14 PM
If you encounter problems with playing your MP3s, either from a flashdrive of from a disk in your Fiat system i recommend the BluMeUSB utility.
If ONE MP3 file on your flashdrive or disk contains errors it can send your onboard audio system into an eternal loop. Also, a lot of MP3s will not play or will not show up on your display.

BluMeUSB is a windows program that fixes these problems. The latest version also sets the overall volume level - a real safety issue if you think about it.

A fully functional trial version available for download at http://www.fiat500soft.com/blumeusb . Registration for under $6.

Have a try !