PDA

View Full Version : A very important question to ask. Need help from my fellow abarth owners

CarolinaAbarth
10-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Guys I have had my 2013 Abarth since June 6. It now has about 3000 miles and has been babied and well taken care of. I have truly loved every minute I have had with this car. people continue to gawk like its something from outer space. But...
The time has come to maybe trade her in or sell her. I have a second child coming and while my current one loves the car and fits in it well with no problems, we need the space. I have my Abarth financed and my wife's small Honda is financed through her.

My thought process is to trade the car in or sell it to get a 500L and more likely the Trekking. I need some advice and questions answered. Would this be the move since I love the Fiat brand? Would I d better selling the car privately? Should I go back to the dealership I bought the Fiat from? I know that the value dropped as soon as I drove it away. I searched and Edmunds says that my Abarth is worth 23,000 to a private buyer and a little less as a trade in.

I have never traded r sold a car I just bought. I live in Charlotte NC and I have not seen many with this car. Can my fellow Abarth owners help me in the right direction? Thanks!

Robert Nixon
10-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Well, you will almost always get more by selling yourself instead of to a dealer. As far as research goes, you could ask your dealer what they would give you on a trade-in, and hopefully they value you and would give you a reasonable deal. Financing wise you can roll in your old payments on the new vehicle, since you likely owe more than it is worth. As a comparison you could take it to CarMax and just get their written estimate of what they would give you for it, just so you can get more than one offer to consider.

If your wife's Honda is worth more on a trade in than the Abarth (compared to what you owe on it), it might make more sense to trade in her car and let her have the larger vehicle. Just keep your options open, look into various options, then make the best choice for you.

If there is another FIAT dealer close, you could ask both dealers for their best offer and maybe get them competing for your business, but odds are they both have new Abarths on the lot and may not be attracted to your car unless like I said you're trading up. From the dealer perspective, they will offer you x amount of dollars less than the value so that they can sell it and make a profit on your trade in also.

Lou Caputo
10-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Guys I have had my 2013 Abarth since June 6. It now has about 3000 miles and has been babied and well taken care of. I have truly loved every minute I have had with this car. people continue to gawk like its something from outer space. But...
The time has come to maybe trade her in or sell her. I have a second child coming and while my current one loves the car and fits in it well with no problems, we need the space. I have my Abarth financed and my wife's small Honda is financed through her.

My thought process is to trade the car in or sell it to get a 500L and more likely the Trekking. I need some advice and questions answered. Would this be the move since I love the Fiat brand? Would I d better selling the car privately? Should I go back to the dealership I bought the Fiat from? I know that the value dropped as soon as I drove it away. I searched and Edmunds says that my Abarth is worth 23,000 to a private buyer and a little less as a trade in.

I have never traded r sold a car I just bought. I live in Charlotte NC and I have not seen many with this car. Can my fellow Abarth owners help me in the right direction? Thanks!

The one advantage of trading in a car is that you save on the taxes on the new car. So, you need to look at the difference between your saving if you trade in, and what you can make selling the Abarth. Since you bought the car at the same dealership, they might take pity on you (kidding) and give you a sweet deal on the 500L. BTW, if you haven't seen a 500L up close yet, it's VERY roomy and very cool looking. AND, you just can't beat the price!

CarolinaAbarth
10-09-2013, 05:22 AM
hanks guys.It looks like I will be trying the 500L trade in track. I will check the FIAT at Stateline in SC where I bought the Abarth and look around for another dealership. I do appreciate the advice. I hate to let the Abarth go.

BigDaddySRT
10-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Would this be the move since I love the Fiat brand? Would I d better selling the car privately? Should I go back to the dealership I bought the Fiat from? I know that the value dropped as soon as I drove it away. I searched and Edmunds says that my Abarth is worth 23,000 to a private buyer and a little less as a trade in.

You have owned the ABARTH for 5 months... and you are thinking about trading it in.
That isn't a very wise Financial move.

You aren't going to get what you need selling it outright, and you aren't going to get what you need trading it in.
Your best move is to keep the ABARTH.

I counted 10 used ABARTHs on my Local Studio Lot... and that doesn't include the 23 Brand New ABARTHs sitting on the Lot.

I deleted a whole bunch of stuff about Birth Control and Financial Burden.

mudking
10-09-2013, 08:37 AM
You have owned the ABARTH for 5 months... and you are thinking about trading it in.
That isn't a very wise Financial move.

You aren't going to get what you need selling it outright, and you aren't going to get what you need trading it in.
Your best move is to keep the ABARTH.

I counted 10 used ABARTHs on my Local Studio Lot... and that doesn't include the 23 Brand New ABARTHs sitting on the Lot.

I deleted a whole bunch of stuff about Birth Control and Financial Burden.
Just cause your name has "daddy" in it doesn't mean your everyone's dad.
Most posts I see from you are for some reason or another posted in a bewildering fashion, I'm just tired of it and had to state it. Time to utilize the Forum tools.

Now some clear advice, if your set on parting ways and can't trade in the wife's car then trade in the Abarth and please do go to more than one dealer for a trade in quote, Get the Car that you and your wife feel will make the most of your new and wonderful parenting adventure...
Honestly from all the posts I have seen I would not yet recommend the 500L model, it seems like most people have to wind up at the dealer for some reason or another to address an issue or a concern after purchase, and with your Family status at the moment you don't want any hassle to intrude.
Alternatively you can keep the Abarth until the child is about 3 or 4, personally I just finally took the car seat out of mine, and boy does he love the Abarth or as he called it the 'vroom,vroom', I only removed it now because my child is turning 3 next month and I just feel he will be more comfortable in the Ford now, and I am lucky to have that option.
"My $2 dollars" interest adjusted quote

Andree
10-09-2013, 07:31 PM
What we need to do is figure out the best cars for your family. First off, do you absolutely, positively need two cars? Your first, second, and third thought will be "yes". LOL. But you may not NEED two cars.

What starts out as inconvenient becomes a natural habit over time. But it involves teamwork, between you and your wife.

There may be public transit options for some of the things usually done. Work commuting, doctor appointments, minor shopping trips. Walking, bicycling can be used and they're actually good for you. Motorcycle, scooter for local commuting, lots of people around here do it. Car sharing, if available, means you have access to an extra when needed, and only pay for the time you're using the car.

Using your profile city, here's what I found:

Zipcar locations (has all the info at the bottom on how Zipcar started, and how it works:
http://local.businessnc.com/Zipcar_Charlotte_NC-r1288486-Charlotte_NC.html

eRideShare (carpooling):
https://www.erideshare.com/carpool.php?city=Charlotte

Relay rides, where you're renting someone's car:
https://relayrides.com/search?location=Charlotte%2C+NC

And there is the usual car rental, of course, via traditional means.

Next up, let's look at COSTS. First, find out exactly what is owed on each car. Now is a great time to get out of the pit. Get down to one car, pay it off. That may mean trading in both cars. But be very VERY careful of rolling over any owed amount into a new car loan. That has a way of snowballing. I had read a story about a woman who constantly traded and rolled over, and eventually ended up paying 1200 month for a Ford Explorer. Just to get out of the pit. Once out of the pit, she was then set up on leases, so there was no amount to roll over, and she got the new car every few years.

Burying yourself in debt is not what you want to be doing with kids.

And, what are the costs of each of you, monthly, vs income? This part specifically has to do with childcare. If you're both working, and paying for child care, consider the money factor. How much is going to child care? How much is spent on car, insurance, gas, maintenance of each car? How much is each income? Add up the car expense for each of you, separately. And any other work-related costs, including things like dry cleaning of suits or uniforms, or specialty clothing required for whatever work you may do.

Add the child care expenses, and then subtract from income after taxes. Is it a sizable amount? For some couples, they've had the revelation that they're basically working only to pay for child care, and ditching the job and extra car and caring for the children themselves results in a net gain.

Browsing Google finds, 15,000-25,000 per year is day care. San Francisco costs from 2010:
http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2010/01/27/what-does-infant-care-cost-in-san-francisco/

Whomever makes the most and/or has the best health coverage for the family is the one who ends up working, while the other becomes a full-time parent. One car, no having to get up to drop off the kids at a daycare facility, then going to work.

Combined with the car-sharing options and mass transit and bicycling, you can come out ahead, depending on how the numbers add up. Very well coordinated part-time/full-time work can be included, where you're both working opposite shifts. Still using one car, still having a parent at home with the children all the time, saving on car payments, car insurance, child care.

More options open up when the kids are in school. With a part-time job in the middle of the day when the kids are in school.

This is more of a life-plan than just considering a car. And you probably wouldn't have bought the Abarth if you knew your wife was planning on another child. So it's time to sit down and determine the size of your family, and decide when it's time to stop adding to the family. Two children is good, because then you can all fit in most cars. And a three bedroom home is much less costly that a four bedroom, or having two kids squabbling over having to share a room, while the other child has their own.

And then off you both go for tubal ligation and vasectomy. No more surprises. And no need for birth control (hormones are just weird and can cause all kinds of problems when in pill form).

Now you're an organized, lean, mean, family machine. You have your finances in order, your family set up for the best possible future. Get the one car paid off before the kids are in school. And then the new second income pays for a second car if needed.

If you can make a profit off of selling the Honda, use that profit to pay off the extra you'll owe on the Abarth. Try not to roll over anything.

That's about the best advice I can come up with, considering the reasons why you need to get rid of the Abarth. I tried to include everything I could think of. Hope something helps.

Abarth619
10-09-2013, 08:44 PM
While we don't have a baby on the way, I knew my Abarth was going to be a fun, but impractical family vehicle. I'm currently looking for a older used truck for winter and all my outdoor adventure needs and family trips. For what you'll lose on the trade you could probably keep the Abarth and just buy a nice used family friendly vehicle for around 5K. Just a suggestion.

Andree
10-09-2013, 10:59 PM
While we don't have a baby on the way, I knew my Abarth was going to be a fun, but impractical family vehicle. I'm currently looking for a older used truck for winter and all my outdoor adventure needs and family trips. For what you'll lose on the trade you could probably keep the Abarth and just buy a nice used family friendly vehicle for around 5K. Just a suggestion.

That's good advice! And work on paying down the Abarth as fast as possible so that it could be sold/traded for what is owed. Or paid off completely.

Abarth Phreak
10-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Great advise above guys!

A true, no-pressure evaluation of the situation needs to occur. If the Civic is a 4 door, there should not be a rush to get a bigger car until the child/family is bigger. So many times I see parents rushing for space for a crib and over-sized stroller and WAY TOO MUCH extra gear in two or three large diaper bags. Gotta keep it simple to stay sane....lol

Congrats on the new baby btw!:encouragement:

ReconTopher
10-10-2013, 01:00 AM
I bought my Abarth AFTER finding out I was having twins, haha. A little crazy, yes, but she has a 4runner and my in-laws happen to live next door and are retired so i can borrow a car if needed to take the kids somewhere. I think I really just need to get through the baby phase and through the rear seats and I'll be fine. A rear facing seat will fit on the passenger side rear, but pretty much makes the front passenger impossible to seat, but your older child should be able to seat behind you.

NGEN
10-10-2013, 12:32 PM
You can make the 500L very ABARTH-like. Get a 6-speed manual, add a sprint booster/throttle body/udp kit and straight pipe exhaust. Lower the suspension and you will think you are still in an Abarth (except larger). If you need examples you can look at ours as well as 500 madness 500Ls. Plus, you don't necessarily need to Trekking, a Pop or Easy with upgrades will do the trick. Just another option. Let us know if we can be of assistance to you.

Andree
10-11-2013, 03:52 AM
You can make the 500L very ABARTH-like. Get a 6-speed manual, add a sprint booster/throttle body/udp kit and straight pipe exhaust. Lower the suspension and you will think you are still in an Abarth (except larger). If you need examples you can look at ours as well as 500 madness 500Ls. Plus, you don't necessarily need to Trekking, a Pop or Easy with upgrades will do the trick. Just another option. Let us know if we can be of assistance to you.

Go for the Pop! It has a CD slot in it!!! And it has a sporty, fun interior.

I haven't seen anyone mention getting a Pop. I thought that would be the most POPular. All the POPular, classic colors, like the Abarth has. The interior is sporty black with either red or light gray accents. So that the interior accents match or complement the exterior colors. Plus the Pop has the exterior colored dash. That dash is also the easiest to clean, I'd reckon. Much easier than cloth, and somewhat easier than the textured Trekking special dash.