PDA

View Full Version : Outside Temp monitor

Trystane
10-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I got in my 500L today and it registered the outside temp as 92 degrees. Being that I'm from Wyoming and this is October I can pretty much be sure that the temp outside will not see 92 until July or August. After about half an hour the temp finally dropped down to 78 but this is still 8 degrees above the outside temperature.

Has anyone else encountered this before? I've noticed the temp off a few times before but it would always correct its self. This was just so far off the mark and never fully came back that it has me slightly concerned. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

n00dle
10-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Is your location set in the NAVI? I think time and temp are set according to your location if you let the NAVI have control and "auto" update.

Trystane
10-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I know time is linked to GPS but I can't say I've ever seen anything that links the temp. I'll double check.

Trystane
10-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Same thing happened again today - reported that the temp was 8 degrees colder then it should of been. It eventually got close to outside temps but hasn't been spot on.

n00dle
10-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Seem sil.ly.. but try toggling between Celsius and Fahrenheit to see if that cures the glitch. Sorta like Trip B not being present until it was toggled back and forth. Other than that I really have no idea and not sure where the gauge is getting it's information from, not sure if there's a specific sensor just for outside temp...

jabird101
10-08-2013, 08:51 PM
I often get into my car on a 70 degree day and it shows 90+ if the sun is shining on the car. The metal and glass get hot and thus the sensor is reading the surface of the car and not the ambient air temp. This is the same way that every outside temp sensor has been since the beginning of time. I had late 80's Caddy that did the same thing. My 2001 Jimmy did it, my VW, Honda, Dodge truck. They all did it. Drive it for a few miles and the skin of the vehicle reaches ambient temp and the reading is correct.

I am not sure where the sensor is on our 500Ls but I have seen them inside the external mirrors and even under the front fender. If I had to guess I would say ours are inside the door mirrors like the Punto. it looks like that is where the regular 500 sensors are as well. The reading is actual at the site of the car and not involved in the GPS in any way. No car company would pay for the data for temperature to be sent to cars all over the world.

If you park in a garage the reading on a really cold day, it is often higher than actual, until you get a few miles down the road.

FiatCares
10-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Same thing happened again today - reported that the temp was 8 degrees colder then it should of been. It eventually got close to outside temps but hasn't been spot on.

I have the 500L engineers looking into this one.. ill report back soon.

FiatCares
10-11-2013, 04:41 PM
I got in my 500L today and it registered the outside temp as 92 degrees. Being that I'm from Wyoming and this is October I can pretty much be sure that the temp outside will not see 92 until July or August. After about half an hour the temp finally dropped down to 78 but this is still 8 degrees above the outside temperature.

Has anyone else encountered this before? I've noticed the temp off a few times before but it would always correct its self. This was just so far off the mark and never fully came back that it has me slightly concerned. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Im still having the 500L engineers look into this for me. How did you know it as off by 8 degrees? cell phone, news?

Trystane
10-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Im still having the 500L engineers look into this for me. How did you know it as off by 8 degrees? cell phone, news?

Phone and a deep knowledge that where I live won't see above 70 until June ;)

Trystane
10-12-2013, 01:37 AM
I was stopped at a red light tonight when I noticed that the outside temp monitor on the EVIC cluster was flashing. It only flashed 4-5 times and then stopped when I noticed it and then went back to the usual solid display. What exactly does that mean?

Andree
10-13-2013, 01:56 AM
Looking around online, seems that Fiat puts the ambient temperature sensor in the door mirrors, on the underside.

This is almost two years old, for UK Fiat Stilo cars, in a UK Fiat forum, that shows a couple of instances with arrows pointing to the temperature sensors.
http://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/290670-ambient-temp-sensor.html

Yes, it could be relevant, though! All of the 500Ls have a black plastic arm. Even if the sensor is on the underside of the mirror arm, if that arm is in direct sunlight it will be warmer than ambient temperature. Likewise, if that side is in the shade, it may be cooler than actual air temperature readings.

Years back when I'd walk to the store in the winter, it would be cold (San Francisco cold) and windy. I'd always stop off right in front of a wall that faced the sun, was dark colored, and was out of the wind. Thing radiated warmth, much warmer than exterior temps.

Yes, it can be that much hotter.

The temperature is being measured not floating in mid air, but as being attached and installed into a point on the vehicle, which may be much colder or hotter than air temp. I suppose the most accurate exterior temperature would be achieved via driving in your vehicle, with the sensor side not in the sun. That's air temperature unaffected by solar heat gain of the plastic parts. But there's wind chill. Whatever.

If your sensor was in the sun and stays in the sun, after driving it will cool down, but it might not be actual air temperature. It'll be close. But will never be 100% accurate because it will always be located in a place that is affected by something else. Parking next to a black vehicle in the sun, that'll raise the reading, because it is indeed warmer if the sun in shining on the black car, which is radiating heat, changing the air temperature. See what I'm saying?

The flashing thing, I know nothing about. Unless maybe your sensor hit a bug.

Andree
10-17-2013, 04:03 PM
I checked my regular 500 and it's sensor is on the underside of the passenger side mirror. The sensor sticks out exactly like the pictures at the link I'd posted.

It read 77 degrees after being parked facing the sun for awhile. And was 71 by the time I got home, which is very close by.

It could have cooled that much in a couple miles or so. Hotter than heck walking on the asphalt to get to my car, ground was radiating heat. It could have been going from sun on asphalt to driving on tree shaded roads, with the sensor on the shaded side, and a breeze from the car being driven.

Crundle15
10-19-2013, 09:52 AM
I've noticed the same thing. The other day my trekking was reading 90 degrees and it was definitely in the 70's outside. After I drove for a few miles the temperature got closer to accurate.