PDA

View Full Version : Slowly regretting my purchase....

mex500
10-06-2013, 03:07 PM
I live in the Midwest where winters are harsh to people, cars and roads, and everything else in between.

We are all very much afraid of having a car that will die in the middle of a field during a blizzard on a very cold day and dying alone.

So we buy reliable cars, right?

Anyways, I have wanted a Fiat for a loooooong time and three weeks ago I bought a 2013 Sport Turbo which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!

I love the look of it, I love the growl, I love the speed. But the car is disappointing me.

Within the first week, I had to have the front left rim replaced because it was bent and caused the car to shake.

In the third week, the windshield has begun to crack!

Is it fair to say WTF?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

I am very worried about what will happen after that is fixed. And I am not too sure that my dealership will replace it under warranty. Especially after the hassle it was to get my rim replaced...

I am not too sure what my options are now... I am not mad at the car but maybe at the dealership. I got the 3M clearshield and because they could not install it for a week and a half, I got a rock chip on the hood, which is still there. It was a NIGHTMARE with the rim issue.

And now the windshield?!?!?!?!?

Abarth619
10-06-2013, 03:27 PM
First off sorry to hear about the bum luck with your car. How did the rim bend and the windshield crack? Assuming the damage was from the bad roads in the Midwest you've described, I personally would find it hard to blame the dealer or car. That damage could happen with any car on crappy roads. I'm from RI which has the 2nd worst roads in the country according to this report. http://money.msn.com/now/post--which-states-have-the-worst-roads You'd swear bombs dropped in some of our roads so I feel your pain and frustration. Best of luck with your car.

musicsurf
10-06-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but driving on bad roads can cause any rim to bend or crack. It's not the dealerships fault you chose or have to drive your car on a bad road. As far as the chip goes, it's kind of the same thing. It's not their fault they couldn't get you in to install the clearshield. You chose to drive your car without it. If you go out and buy a brand new phone and they don't have screen protectors in stock, if you choose to put it in your pocket and it gets scratched, who's fault is it?

Tweak
10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
I asked about the circumstances on how these issues came about as has been asked here...I think what these guys have stated is just how it is...I am sorry to hear these problems have occurred though.

Fiat500USA
10-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Is it fair to say WTF?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

To be honest, it just sounds like some bad luck and not worth going overboard and ruining your ownership experience. Bending a rim and getting a cracked windshield can and will happen and it's hard to blame the car for road conditions. I've had that happen to a few of my cars. You've got a cool car that you love, why let a few bumps in the road wreck that. LOL

Just let the insurance take care of the windshield. I personally wouldn't bother the dealership about that. The don't cover cracked windshields. I'm surprised they replaced the rim unless you told them you had a vibration as soon as you got home from the delivery.

Good luck and don't let it get you down.

Abarth Phreak
10-07-2013, 12:23 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see the windshield crack following a severe blow to the rim from road conditions...if that is what actually happened of course. However, I would still have the dealer look at this to make sure its not an actual issue with the car if there are no other reasons for the issues.

But as F500USA said above...keep a stiff upper lip with the car...she will treat you right if you are returning the favor. As I have shared previously, I have a few issues with my car also that I have been too lazy to go resolve. But still loving my Abarth!!! Good luck!

Andree
10-07-2013, 05:31 AM
I know what it's like to want something, and to be able to get it, only to realize it wasn't at all what I needed. Need comes first. Want comes second.

From the weather and roads you've described, this car was a want. Not a need. The need vehicle, the kind of vehicle you NEED for your area is the vehicle that probably has 4wd, good ground clearance. Enough power to get you unstuck, or to help get someone else unstuck. Maybe a truck or something similar. Has a tow hitch or winch. Maybe ye olde CB radio or something else that WILL communicate over distances when cell phones won't.

The kind that has a spare tire, a jerry can for gas, and even some food supplies or camping equipment or sleeping bag. Just in case. Instead of dying alone stuck in the snow, they'll find you wrapped in Himalayan-quality clothing and sleeping bag, grilling a steak on a camp stove with a nice bottle of Chianti. And I've just mentally combined "Fargo" with "Silence of the Lambs". That would have been an interesting movie.

Anyway, that's what you need.

The fun WANT car comes afterwards. And it's a weekend car, that you drive carefully until you get to the smooth roads more appropriate for your car.

I know this because I bought a big block Corvette and have no mechanical knowledge. It was partially an "up yours, buddy" to the former spouse. It was a want. It was a purchase driven by emotion without thought. It wasn't at all what I needed. And with the crappy gas mileage, I couldn't even go on nice long drives. And then it broke down a lot.

As pretty as it looked, I grew to hate that car. I still have dreams where I'm stuck with it. LOL. I could have had a much better life at the time with something smaller and more economical. I really enjoyed my VW Cabriolet when I got it, much more of what I needed. And I'm sincerely loving my Fiat. Still wish I had the back seats from the Honda Fit though. Those were useful.

So what you've got is a car that will probably end up getting all banged up, and rattled to death. Because of the roads and the weather. Rocks are flying, and that's going to take a toll.

And the only way that won't happen is not to drive it or to move to a smooth roaded area. Every car on the market has a windshield that breaks when rocks hit it. They all ding.

After that, keep checking the Fiat news, and check out the model coming out that is supposed to have 4wd. Or hope they put 4wd into the 500L Trekking. The Trekking front end and wheel well surrounds have a plastic on them. That's a lot more durable than a painted finish. It can get scuffed and won't leave you with nicks that become rust spots. Good things.

Also, when I was buying my car, they did offer some supplemental insurance protection stuff, one of the offerings was for wheels. If they bend or break or whatever. Well, I've never had that problem before, and don't foresee having it, as I don't really drive much. And the roads here are decent. But if you get another car, definitely ask about the wheel insurance, because of your area. And ask your insurance company about glass coverage. You'll pay for that, but you are where rocks are flying, you'll pay for the windshield one way or another. With the insurance company, it's like paying for it over time. LOL. Less stressful in the long run to know you have coverage for it.

You can do that now, get the coverage in case it happens again, for the windshield.

These things may NEVER happen again. Your wheels could be perfectly fine for many years to come. Your windshield could withstand endless pummeling. These might be the only problems you have. That would be awesome.

It will more likely be somewhere in between. Your windshield will not break every week, but some doofus will bang their car door soundly into your door. Or you'll get nasty curb rash. Cover yourself for what you can, and realize the rest is chance and fate and common sense or lack of it.

djhace
10-07-2013, 04:42 PM
**** happens. :angel:

JoeB
10-07-2013, 07:46 PM
All windshields are subject to stone chips. My brand-new-in-'06 Civic got one a month after I bought it, and that windshield is practically horizontal! The wheel dent probably won't happen again now that you've had the car a while, and have a better feel for what obstacles need to be steered around. I predict that in 6 months these "just getting started" issues will be far behind you, and you will be very happy with your nimble little Turbo.

ReconTopher
10-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah those shouldn't be regrets as everyone else commented on.

You could be having a leaky transmission, popped out A pillars, paint issues, turbo screwing up, and probably 10 other items that have happened to people's brand new Fiats. Consider yourself lucky!

mex500
10-10-2013, 10:51 AM
And now, to add the cherry on top!

Last night, after a hot date, here I am trying to act all cool and the 500 flashes me the CEL.

I guess he got jealous.

It runs really rough and misfires like crazy. I am trying to get in touch with my dealer to see what he can do, because this is awful.

I read the code and it gave me a cylinder 1 misfire.

I mean, come on, the car doesn't even have 20,000 miles!!!!!!!!

mex500
10-10-2013, 10:54 AM
And now, to add the cherry on top!

Last night, after a hot date, here I am trying to act all cool and the 500 flashes me the CEL.

I guess he got jealous.

It runs really rough and misfires like crazy. I am trying to get in touch with my dealer to see what he can do, because this is awful.

I read the code and it gave me a cylinder 1 misfire.

I mean, come on, the car doesn't even have 20,000 miles!!!!!!!!

BigT
10-10-2013, 11:00 AM
What Octane fuel are you running?

4carbcorvair
10-10-2013, 12:35 PM
With 20k it could be a bad plug, bad plug wire, mouse eaten/chafed plug wire.

purl1
10-10-2013, 04:40 PM
And I've just mentally combined "Fargo" with "Silence of the Lambs". That would have been an interesting movie.>>>>>>>>>

HAHA Andree. I love it.

I kind of have to agree with everyone. Not to say I wouldnt be PO if I had those things happen. 3 months after I got my car(2012 used) I had to have major engine surgery at the studio. I was very angry. I got over it , it was covered by warrenty. I talked to a mechanic at a local gas station who fixes our caravan and he said it happens way more than people think. He just sent another customer that had their car brand new for 4 weeks , I think it was a Honda, back to the dealer to get fixed for the same type of rear main seal leak.

Maybe you could get a winter car :) I live in New England . winters are bad ...sometimes. If there is to much snow I just wont go anywhere. what I would like to know how well the engine starts up when its really cold.

Fix it again Tony
10-10-2013, 10:22 PM
My Sport has 20,000 miles on it now and three of the rims are scraped up from hitting curbs on turns, both doors are dinged up from other doors hitting them in parking lots, the hood has dings from rocks, the windshield is chipped, the door seals are noisy with wind, the computer gives false engine codes periodically, the armrest is broken and the emblems are bubbling but hey, it's a Fiat! Now I can start putting rally mods on it!

cmj912
10-11-2013, 09:36 AM
I've had a dinged up rim and a star in the windshield as well as two door dings, all of which I had repaired.
Neither of these have anything to do with the dealer or the quality of the car.