PDA

View Full Version : Rotational metal-on-metal scraping sound at 2K miles

UomoNuovo
10-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Hi All - Been enjoying the DDCT 500L for a few weeks and things seemed good. Yesterday, I started hearing a metal-on-metal rotational scraping noise (around town driving) especially when I turn the wheel to the right. Straight it seemed okay. As I got closer to home, the sound got louder even going straight. I pulled over and looked under the car, in wheel wells and in/around brakes rotors and didn't see any "noticeable" or "obvious" issues. It didn't seem related to braking (as in the sound level didn't change with or without brake application). It did increase with acceleration. Something rubbing as wheels turn.

I searched the forum and found an entry by a 500 owner who had some sort of bent brake pins that should have been fixed after transport or during presale readiness??? I went to the Mopar site to see but no pix of brake assemblies. No idea what simple fix might be here...

My studio is 95 miles away. Today is Sunday. No service. Once I call, do I have it towed or try to drive it that 100 miles??? Any ideas or suggestions welcomed. Thanks, UomoNuovo ~ Ciao...

Jester49
10-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Well, if it were me I'd have it towed, it's part of the warranty coverage and may keep from doing any more damage that's going on right now.
Anything related to the brakes, I tend to not mess around with the lives of others and myself.

Tweak
10-06-2013, 07:09 PM
No local Chrysler/Dodge dealers? They should have a few FIAT trained mechanics that may mean a shorter trip and quicker fix, otherwise towing seem the best option.

Felnus
10-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Unless something has changed, Chrysler/Dodge dealers cannot bill FIAT for warranty work done on a FIAT for some stupid reason. Take it to the FIAT studio or have it towed there(call FIAT roadside assistance).

Tweak
10-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Unless something has changed, Chrysler/Dodge dealers cannot bill FIAT for warranty work done on a FIAT for some stupid reason. Take it to the FIAT studio or have it towed there(call FIAT roadside assistance).

I think when I asked I was told I could take my car to a Chrysler/Dodge dealer if needed...maybe I was told wrong but I'd at the least check into the option just in case! I haven't had actual need so I haven't tested this potential option and hope I do not have to do so for a very long time!

Felnus
10-06-2013, 10:50 PM
I was told that I could take my 500 to my local Chrysler dealer for the oil changes that were covered under my early buyer free maintenance warranty since I lived four hours from the nearest studio at the time. I tried. Long story short, after going around and around between FIAT and the Chrysler dealer and the FIAT studio, it turned out even though they could pull all of my information in their computer at the Chrysler dealer it was completely impossible for them to enter a charge for the work on my warranty coverage. Stateline FIAT stepped up though and sent me a check to cover the cost of the oil change after I faxed them the bill. Which they didn't have to do.

Tweak
10-06-2013, 11:55 PM
I was told that I could take my 500 to my local Chrysler dealer for the oil changes that were covered under my early buyer free maintenance warranty since I lived four hours from the nearest studio at the time. I tried. Long story short, after going around and around between FIAT and the Chrysler dealer and the FIAT studio, it turned out even though they could pull all of my information in their computer at the Chrysler dealer it was completely impossible for them to enter a charge for the work on my warranty coverage. Stateline FIAT stepped up though and sent me a check to cover the cost of the oil change after I faxed them the bill. Which they didn't have to do.

Ah, well this goes to show you can't always believe all you get told even from a service dept and it should be checked into before any problem occur. Thanks for the info D, see you soon! :cool:

streetsurfer
10-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Have you sorted out the noise? There were posts of brake backing plates rubbing, and road debris (bits of stone of asphalt I believe) being caught up in between the backing plate and rotor (on other models) if I remember correctly. That's where I'd first look, and I hope this helps.

UomoNuovo
10-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Backed the L in and out of driveway a few times and took it for a spin around the neighborhood to listen. No noises... interesting, but last Saturday when the noises began they would get louder, softer, come/go (not related to braking though)... I'm seriously hoping it was a small stone in the dust guard or something, but I'll have to wait until Friday to take it out again... around the block in right hand turns (that's when it was the loudest)... thanks again all for suggestions...

streetsurfer
10-09-2013, 10:52 PM
I see I goofed and said backing plate where I meant dust shield.