PDA

View Full Version : CF hood

lillo24
10-06-2013, 02:03 AM
So far I have MM ecm and the EC V2 intake. Living in CA the temp gets hot and the turbo suffers. the V2 seem to help somewhat but I definitely need to go a step further and get either CF hood with vents or have someone put in vents. Which one do you guys recommend, new hood or adding scoops? What brands? DO i need to worry about water/junk going into the engine bay. I was just looking at my friends 2010 wrx sti and the stock scoop is huge. No wonder those cars pull well, they are very well ventilated. I read some info on this forum (of what I could see) but would like for input since this is going to cost me good money. Thanks

musicsurf
10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Just my .02, but there are other things you could do before putting in vents or a new hood, ie. FMIC, meth injection, etc.

lillo24
10-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Just my .02, but there are other things you could do before putting in vents or a new hood, ie. FMIC, meth injection, etc.
Okay so you live in Florida, what helped you best in decreasing the elevated temp under the hood? Thanks

musicsurf
10-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Nothing... I might get vents eventually but I would rather spend the money on the things I already have, and the two things I mentioned before I do. Both a FMIC and meth injection will help with IAT. People use turbo blankets and see reduced temps as well. In my opinion, vents are a further down the road kind of thing. That opinion can and does vary widely from person to person and I'm not going to say someone's preference is wrong. Vents will help bring in fresh air and extract hot air, it's just a question of at what point you need that. In Florida, rain is a factor so I am a little hesitant. Also, with a stock STI that huge scoop is feeding air to the top mount intercooler that needs the flow to cool.

shadyabarth
10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
A turbo blanket would be a great start to reduce underhood temps..

lillo24
10-06-2013, 10:07 PM
A turbo blanket would be a great start to reduce underhood temps..

ok I will not get a FMIC or methanol inj. I could try a turbo blanket. How effective are they at reducing heat? and easy instal?? thanks guys. Also who makes CF hoods with vents in them for the abarth?

Tweak
10-06-2013, 10:26 PM
ok I will not get a FMIC or methanol inj. I could try a turbo blanket. How effective are they at reducing heat? and easy instal?? thanks guys. Also who makes CF hoods with vents in them for the abarth?

Member trevc has a CF hood, I do not recall the brand but additionally Road Race Motorsports and 500 Madness also offer CF hoods for the 500.

In order of price.

trevc's hood - I think about $700 shipped (he'll happily tell you where he got it I'm sure)
RRM - About $1,200 before S&H
Madness - About $2,500 (no clue on S&H)

musicsurf
10-06-2013, 10:27 PM
I am pretty sure trevc's hood is an Advan.

Tweak
10-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I am pretty sure trevc's hood is an Advan.

Sounds right, thanks!

As a side note...
I believe you are going to be at the Dragon, looking forward to meeting you and seeing the others I met back in the spring, time is going to be here SOON! :cool:

musicsurf
10-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Sounds right, thanks!

As a side note...
I believe you are going to be at the Dragon, looking forward to meeting you and seeing the others I met back in the spring, time is going to be here SOON! :cool:

I know, I'm stoked. I just got back last night after a week in the Waynesville area in NC with my wife. Driving her boat like Camry on the twisty roads made me that much more excited to come back up this weekend.

Tweak
10-06-2013, 11:54 PM
I know, I'm stoked. I just got back last night after a week in the Waynesville area in NC with my wife. Driving her boat like Camry on the twisty roads made me that much more excited to come back up this weekend.

I took my Abarth to VA for several days a few weeks ago so I got a little taste of the upcoming fun...so excited to get back to the Dragon and with the other forum members. :D

lillo24
10-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Member trevc has a CF hood, I do not recall the brand but additionally Road Race Motorsports and 500 Madness also offer CF hoods for the 500.

In order of price.

trevc's hood - I think about $700 shipped (he'll happily tell you where he got it I'm sure)
RRM - About $1,200 before S&H
Madness - About $2,500 (no clue on S&H)

Thanks Tweak very helpful. I will ask trevc for more info. Also what is this Dragon event?

musicsurf
10-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Thanks Tweak very helpful. I will ask trevc for more info. Also what is this Dragon event?

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11661-Fall-FIAT-on-the-Dragon-event-October-11-13

Tweak
10-07-2013, 08:51 AM

The brand Advan is what Trevor has, thought so but luckily confirmed by musicsurf.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11661-Fall-FIAT-on-the-Dragon-event-October-11-13

This! One of the most fun times I've had, such an enjoyable experience with the people and the drive!

trevc
10-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Installed the hood vents this weekend. Some minor clean-up to do then I will post pictures on my owner thread.
Not perfect I am sure but it was a lot of work and I got a lot of satisfaction from doing it myself! Hood from AdvanCarbon.com and Assetto Corsa style fiberglass vents from RRM.
I also came up with a custom engine cover for the ECU/Battery/TMC box area to keep them dry. Again, home made with limited tools.
Pictures soon :peaceful:

lillo24
10-15-2013, 08:46 PM
i like these hoods a lot:

they are from the romeo ferraris abarth.