PDA

View Full Version : Burning smell coming from my Fiat 500

Gloriagubbins
10-04-2013, 07:52 PM
So my husband bought me my Fiat 500 as a Mother's Day gift. I LOVE it. It's stick shift so took me a bit to get used to driving since I haven't driven a stick in the better part of 13 years. Well, my car now has 4000 miles only and the other day when my husband was driving it, he said he herd a very loud pop and now the clutch has to be pushed all the way to the floor. I took it to our local garage since the Fiat dealer is over an hour away and they lifted it and said the clutch is still on place. Tonight my husband came home and there was smoke coming from the hood and a TERRIBLE burning smell. We have an appointment with Fiat tomorrow at 10 am but I'm a little worried if it will make it now. Does anyone have any idea' sit could possibly be if the clutch is still in place? Please help. Thanks so much and have a blessed day,
Gloria

lammie200
10-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I could be wrong but I thing that someone else posted a similar problem that was clutch master cylinder related. You should be completely covered by the warranty including a new clutch if necessary.

Jester49
10-04-2013, 09:18 PM
So my husband bought me my Fiat 500 as a Mother's Day gift. I LOVE it. It's stick shift so took me a bit to get used to driving since I haven't driven a stick in the better part of 13 years. Well, my car now has 4000 miles only and the other day when my husband was driving it, he said he herd a very loud pop and now the clutch has to be pushed all the way to the floor. I took it to our local garage since the Fiat dealer is over an hour away and they lifted it and said the clutch is still on place. Tonight my husband came home and there was smoke coming from the hood and a TERRIBLE burning smell. We have an appointment with Fiat tomorrow at 10 am but I'm a little worried if it will make it now. Does anyone have any idea' sit could possibly be if the clutch is still in place? Please help. Thanks so much and have a blessed day,
Gloria

I'm guessing now but I've been working on cars for the better part or 40yrs. I'm thinking something happened to ether the master cylinder or slave cylinder, or throw out bearing that's NOT allowing the clutch to fully engage and it's slipping causing smoke/burning smell !! What may happen is that they will have to resurface the flywheel and replace clutch / pressure plate because of this failure.

Tweak
10-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your problem, hope the issue is quickly and easily resolved!

FTY
10-05-2013, 01:31 AM
Welcome,

I remember seeing a few issues with the 500 clutches(one via email to me from Japan), one required a new throw-out bearing(its plastic) and the other required a new master cylinder. The smoke is most likely the clutch. Bring it to FIAT and let them complete the warranty repair. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is. If the dealer gives you a hard time please contact "FIATCARES" he is very good at expediting and assisting with warranty repairs and getting the dealers/service on task.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares

Gloriagubbins
10-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Welcome,

I remember seeing a few issues with the 500 clutches(one via email to me from Japan), one required a new throw-out bearing(its plastic) and the other required a new master cylinder. The smoke is most likely the clutch. Bring it to FIAT and let them complete the warranty repair. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is. If the dealer gives you a hard time please contact "FIATCARES" he is very good at expediting and assisting with warranty repairs and getting the dealers/service on task.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares

Thank You all so much! You guys have been so helpful. I printed all these messages plus a few other's for my husband to read. You guys are awesome for all the help!