PDA

View Full Version : Velcro holding down trunk cover

Stacey Willard
10-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi all

I noticed a rattle coming from trunk area and after inspection, I noticed that the hatch/trunk cover is loose. The part towards the rear seats that flips up is held down by velcro. The velcro strips on both sides by the rear windows have slipped and you can see the glue marks from where the velcro was originally. Now the velcro barely touches the cover to hold it down securely. I've only taken this cover off twice since I've owned it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

n00dle
10-02-2013, 06:11 PM
I don't have this issue, but when I last check mine it appeared that the velcro that's not on the cover can be repositioned. Perhaps try doing that so that they make contact with the ones on the cover?

Stacey Willard
10-02-2013, 06:29 PM
It looks like it's glued down to the plastic window well. I tried to slide it but it didn't move and I didn't want to put too much pressure on it in case it came off completely.

streetsurfer
10-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Maybe a warm hair dryer applied to the patch will allow them to be positioned where they were. Either peeled and replaced or slid over. Don't get the plastic hot. Keep a finger on the patch so you know how warm you're getting it. Some fabric or velcro adhesive should be easy to find and inexpensive for a home fix.

n00dle
10-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Ok, I just checked and the velcro strips are stuck on and can be peeled off to be repositioned or replaced on either end, the cover or the plastic it attaches to. I began to peel mine off to check. You can attempt do it yourself or take it into the dealer and have them do it under warranty. Seems like a simple fix.

Stacey Willard
10-03-2013, 09:18 AM
OK, I will check it out. I didn't think they would be since the glue looks like it stuck to the plastic because you can see where the velcro was originally at because of the glue residue. When you removed it, was there a glue residue left on the plastic like mine has?

n00dle
10-03-2013, 10:32 AM
yes, it's some really sticky stuff.

FiatCares
10-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Hi all

I noticed a rattle coming from trunk area and after inspection, I noticed that the hatch/trunk cover is loose. The part towards the rear seats that flips up is held down by velcro. The velcro strips on both sides by the rear windows have slipped and you can see the glue marks from where the velcro was originally. Now the velcro barely touches the cover to hold it down securely. I've only taken this cover off twice since I've owned it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

My recommendation is that if its been completely removed...or has fallen or been repositioned... id have the studio check it out. If you attempt to fix or manipulate it.. the studio will deny warranty coverage.

Stacey Willard
10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
After driving in the parking garage today where I could hear it better since no road noise, it sounds more like metal. I moved things around in the trunk (2 things) and will check when I drive home tonight if that fixed it. I thought maybe it was the license plate, but it's on pretty tight. The only other thing I can think of is that the lift isn't tight enough when it closes or something under the car is rattling. I had a minivan that had to have the lift tightened because it moved too much when driving and rattled. Otherwise I guess I will take it in for the 2nd time in 3 months.